PDA

View Full Version : Is Waxy Maize what the supplement companies claim?

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/waxy_maize_starch_myth.htm

militantmuscle
02-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I feel pretty dumb now, I tell all my clients to use waxy maize. Great article Razor!

Wiry Pyruvity
02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Dave Barr is on an episode of Super Human Radio and speaks to this...enlightening...

militantmuscle
02-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Just goes to show we shouldn't put blind trust in anything the supplement companies say, we have to question their claims and make sure they cite their studies.

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 12:33 AM
I feel pretty dumb now, I tell all my clients to use waxy maize. Great article Razor!

It appears once again, supplement companies are simply falsifying statements just to hype a product. Good old Dextrose STILL seems to be the best option for those using a pro/carb drink PWO.

philborg
02-15-2009, 12:55 AM
RR, how could you do this?

Don't you know these types of threads belong to VArgasty?

MichaelWayne
02-15-2009, 01:35 AM
Reading this I am glad I stick to the basic of basics. The debate over what does what and at what time seems like it goes back and forth every couple months. Had a feeling Waxy was gonna get its head on the block sooner or later.

Hittin
02-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Crazy, I have seen so many reputable people say that WMS is great supplement.

Mouse
02-15-2009, 07:19 AM
My favorite PWO drink is still 2 scoops of powered orange Gatorade and 2 scoops of whey (mixed and drunk separately).

Frosty
02-15-2009, 10:51 AM
So is the barley-derived Vitargo legit?? I forget who it was, but someone kept going on about how WMS and Vitargo were totally different and Vitargo was the real deal.

GetLean
02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I remember a while back there was a huge argument about if WMS was Vitargo or what not, it really got stupid. I say stick with Dextrose or Karbolyn(I have seen studies run on humans).

militantmuscle
02-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I always thought waxy maize had a dextrose equivalency similar to maltodextrin; before using waxy maize I'd use whole wheat flour or good old NOW dextrose.

GetLean
02-15-2009, 12:04 PM
I just wish they could find a way to mix better, WMS was like drinking wax i thought, and dextrose in water just sinks, dextrose by the spoonful is too sweet.

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 12:09 PM
Since I'm a believer in utilizing lower GI carbs, especially with my trainee's. Waxy is still perfect for the certain time I have everyone using the supplement.
For those that feel it's neccesary for a huge insulin spike PWO, then either dextrose or even simple carbs would be the better choice.

GetLean
02-15-2009, 12:11 PM
That's a lot of white rice/white bread haha.

RazorRipped
02-15-2009, 12:35 PM
That's a lot of white rice/white bread haha.

Pardon. What are you referring to?

GetLean
02-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Ah, sorry I read through your post to fast, I thought you were referring that people could use Complex Carb(refined starches) which is a possibility but like I said its a lot of food. My apologies

Hittin
02-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Waxy is still perfect for the certain time I have everyone using the supplement.

C'mon Bro! When is that "certain time"? :)

Prior to workout and during workout with Beta Aline and Amino's?

Vargasty
02-15-2009, 05:30 PM
I've been syaing this for a year now... Waxy Maize it's self is garbage. The entire description is based on studies done by Vitargo. YES, Vitargo was derived from waxy maize, but the source of the carb is irrelevant. It is the processing of the carb that makes it bypass ingestion. The same type of processing that turns the bi-products of milk into high-quality whey Isolate....

Vargasty
02-15-2009, 05:33 PM
Since I'm a believer in utilizing lower GI carbs, especially with my trainee's. Waxy is still perfect for the certain time I have everyone using the supplement.
For those that feel it's neccesary for a huge insulin spike PWO, then either dextrose or even simple carbs would be the better choice.
Razor, if this is the case, why not stick them to using Oats or RIce? Waxy Maize isn't even digestable until it is cooked. This is why the studies that TP did on waxy maize showed an almost non-existent raise in serum insulin levels. It's sad these supplement companies have gotten away with this b.s.

FitnFirm
02-15-2009, 06:45 PM
some like it ........... some dont ............ almond joy .... :D

gymrat3082
02-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I love using forsted flakes in my post workout shake, it tastes really goo!

Enmity
02-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Dextrose is unbearably sweet, but hey, what else would you expect pure glucose to taste like. Quite honestly, the method used post workout really shouldn't be stressed upon. Glycogen resynthesis can take up until the next morning to be completed, so if you eat accordingly after your workout you'll be fine.

All supplements, even most whey proteins, are marketing scams that cause you to invest way too much money than you should. WMS is inexpensive luckily, but tubs like musclemilk aren't.

indianamonster1986
02-16-2009, 12:43 AM
Crazy, I have seen so many reputable people say that WMS is great supplement.

What is reputable nowadays anyways...:confused:

militantmuscle
02-16-2009, 01:11 AM
You guys can use waxy maize before the workout occurs, or even at nighttime, just not for the application of rapid absorption like dextrose immediately post-workout.

Bacon Boy
02-16-2009, 01:42 PM
for whatever reason I still perfer the way I feel with the waxy maize, I ducking hate vitargo, I am sorry but I feel it is over price garbage that is impossible to mix!

chasebny
02-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Waxy causes a lot less bloat than dextrose, which doesnt really indicate superiority either way.

Mike the Ripper
02-16-2009, 03:38 PM
Dave Barr is on an episode of Super Human Radio and speaks to this...enlightening...

I actually worked with David on a WMS test for a future episode of SHR. I tested quite a few WMS products using a glucometer. This was done after an 8-10 hour fast and blood sugar levels were tested every ten minutes for 2 hours. Dextrose/maltodextrin destroyed every WMS I tested.

buster12
02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
dammit! I just bought a new tub of waxy! O well, i'll sell it an get some vitargo...

Mike the Ripper
02-16-2009, 03:59 PM
dammit! I just bought a new tub of waxy! O well, i'll sell it an get some vitargo...

Honestly I wouldn't even do that. Save yourself the cash and buy maltodextrin/dextrose in bulk. Your gains won't be any more significant using Vitargo over the cheaper alternative. Use the money saved to buy more protein.

GetLean
02-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Dextrose can be found any where and is cheap around here, it averages out to be little less than $1 a pound.

bigw0rm71
02-16-2009, 09:27 PM
hey guys i would still recommend using waxy...i think it is also how or what it is made from just like all whey proteins are not created equal and i can't deny the pump that i get from using WMS (its not in my head). Hey dave can u shine sum light on waxi since carbolyze is one of ur top products

chucksm00th
02-16-2009, 09:37 PM
hey guys i would still recommend using waxy...i think it is also how or what it is made from just like all whey proteins are not created equal and i can't deny the pump that i get from using WMS (its not in my head). Hey dave can u shine sum light on waxi since carbolyze is one of ur top products

I agree, Ive had fantastic gain with Waxy MAize, and for me i dont get any bloat as with the dextrose...I guess its a personal choice to the individual, if it makes you grow then use it

buster12
02-17-2009, 12:22 AM
does this mean vitargo sucks?

NPCKnight
02-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Guys....
VITARGO is backed by real science. Vitargo doesnt suck...it is awesome. Its just expensive.

You guys using waxy and getting great pumps....well what do you expect? You are using high amounts of carbs. Just sucks that waxy has been lied about and marketed and companies made millions from it. Should be a crime.

Bacon Boy
02-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Guys....
VITARGO is backed by real science. Vitargo doesnt suck...it is awesome. Its just expensive.

You guys using waxy and getting great pumps....well what do you expect? You are using high amounts of carbs. Just sucks that waxy has been lied about and marketed and companies made millions from it. Should be a crime.

I just think the science on paper is there for vitargo, and not waxy, but real world experience on my body says the vitargo does do dick and the waxy pushes me on through, vitargo might work for others greatly but I am mad that I have to go through a whole jug of this as to not waste it!

chucksm00th
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I just think the science on paper is there for vitargo, and not waxy, but real world experience on my body says the vitargo does do dick and the waxy pushes me on through, vitargo might work for others greatly but I am mad that I have to go through a whole jug of this as to not waste it!

I tried both and like the Waxy Maize better

NPCKnight
02-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Waxy is a hoax. Vitargo on the other hand works wonders. For all you pussies that claim it doesnt mix well....shake your protein shaker bottle before each sip. Unfortunately Vitargo is priced as if it came in 24k Gold tub.

NPCKnight
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
How do you guys feel knowing dextrose worked a hell of a lot better than your beloved Waxy Maize at somewhere around 1/4 of the cost?

Chefbone
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
I'm suprised that more people don't use honey as a PWO carb source.

Chef

GrayBull
02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
How do you guys feel knowing dextrose worked a hell of a lot better than your beloved Waxy Maize at somewhere around 1/4 of the cost?

I'm upset and feel very used. Thanks for showing me the light, though.

NPCKnight
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm upset and feel very used. Thanks for showing me the light, though.
I know the feeling.