PDA

View Full Version : Short biceps?

Stavman
02-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Why do all women have short biceps? I'm serious, I have never seen a FBB with long biceps.

Whats the dealio?

goddessamazon
02-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Pfft!

I don't have short biceps but then again tall women don't have short biceps due to their long arms.

I love being tall and wouldn't have it any other way but I must admit that I admire women with short biceps because they are able to peak their bicep muscles higher than those with long biceps. Short biceps equals BIGGER PEAK! My weakest mandatory pose is front double biceps due to my long arms/long biceps with no peak.

Ladies if you have short biceps GOD BLESS you because your bicep pose look a helluva lot better than mine. :)

Stavman
02-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Well then you are special because every FBB I have seen has short ass bi's.

I'm not judging or whatever, just curious as to why.

esplendido
02-15-2009, 10:54 AM
How about Gunz!

tammyp
02-15-2009, 11:07 AM
cuz most of us are shorter i would guess.

goddessamazon
02-15-2009, 01:22 PM
cuz most of us are shorter i would guess.

BINGO! :)

Most women are short and 95% of the female bodybuilders/figure competitors out there are under 5'7" so the chances of the OP seeing a woman with long biceps is RARE!

esplendido
02-15-2009, 01:55 PM
BINGO! :)

Most women are short and 95% of the female bodybuilders/figure competitors out there are under 5'7" so the chances of the OP seeing a woman with long biceps is RARE!
If I might disagree, height has nothing to do with muscle insertion. In fact, if you use logic, the taller the individual, the more likely a shorter muscle insertion. It's all about genetics.

Laurel is 5'-2" and her biceps insert nearly BELOW her elbow. They are long and tall. My biceps insert about an inch before my elbow, and I'm 6'-4". So I have "short" biceps.

What I think is being seen are biceps on women that are not as developed as men for obvious reasons.....to do so would require enough androgens to turn a woman into a man.

We can't fight genetics. We can augment genetics, but not to the point of reversing a "trend". If you're born with short biceps or long biceps, that's what you have to deal with. Height and gender are not issues.

SallyAnne
02-15-2009, 02:17 PM
I have short biceps. They stop over an inch from the elbow point. I don't like it.

Stavman
02-15-2009, 02:22 PM
How about Gunz!

That is the only pic I have ever seen of a female with long biceps.

SallyAnne
02-15-2009, 02:24 PM
lol

goddessamazon
02-15-2009, 02:48 PM
If I might disagree, height has nothing to do with muscle insertion. In fact, if you use logic, the taller the individual, the more likely a shorter muscle insertion. It's all about genetics.

Laurel is 5'-2" and her biceps insert nearly BELOW her elbow. They are long and tall. My biceps insert about an inch before my elbow, and I'm 6'-4". So I have "short" biceps.

What I think is being seen are biceps on women that are not as developed as men for obvious reasons.....to do so would require enough androgens to turn a woman into a man.

We can't fight genetics. We can augment genetics, but not to the point of reversing a "trend". If you're born with short biceps or long biceps, that's what you have to deal with. Height and gender are not issues.

I will have to politely disagree. The longer a female arm are the longer the muscle and if she trains her arms properly using Full Range Of Motion she will not reach a peak. It's not really complicated when you look at it. Long arms = Long biceps. Why? Because the muscle is longer.

You're 6'4" and that's fine but you can not compare yourself to a woman because you're a man. However, if you were a 6'4" woman who had pictures taken of yourself with short biceps then your point would be well proven.

Por2gue
02-15-2009, 10:06 PM
For some reason when I look at your avatar I can't even find your biceps. :)
X2 Mike!

esplendido
02-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I will have to politely disagree. The longer a female arm are the longer the muscle and if she trains her arms properly using Full Range Of Motion she will not reach a peak. It's not really complicated when you look at it. Long arms = Long biceps. Why? Because the muscle is longer.

You're 6'4" and that's fine but you can not compare yourself to a woman because you're a man. However, if you were a 6'4" woman who had pictures taken of yourself with short biceps then your point would be well proven.
I'm trying to understand your logic. The tie-in of the biceps is a genetic issue unrelated to arm length. I've seen many tall, long-armed women with short biceps, and like my wife, short women with long biceps. The peak of a flexed biceps has to do with the mass of the muscle and the shortening of the contraction, so the peak can be increased as the muscle cross section is increased. But the length of the muscle cannot be changed as it has to do with the tendon tie-ins, not muscle size.

sassy69
02-16-2009, 12:14 AM
Do I qualify as "long" biceps or not? I'm 5'7".

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mnhnx4.jpg

I measure 16"-17" depending on on / off season & pumped or cold.

Stavman
02-16-2009, 12:21 AM
Those are short.

sassy69
02-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Those are short.

Jeez what counts as "long" then?

Mark
02-16-2009, 12:24 AM
well, on that picture the bi seems so stop well over an inch before your elbow... so long, no, but it contributes to the appearance of "peak"

Stavman
02-16-2009, 12:29 AM

The lady in post 4.

sassy69
02-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Well I guess never mind then.

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 08:31 AM
I'm trying to understand your logic. The tie-in of the biceps is a genetic issue unrelated to arm length. I've seen many tall, long-armed women with short biceps, and like my wife, short women with long biceps. The peak of a flexed biceps has to do with the mass of the muscle and the shortening of the contraction, so the peak can be increased as the muscle cross section is increased. But the length of the muscle cannot be changed as it has to do with the tendon tie-ins, not muscle size.

Not true and you can prove me wrong by providing pictures to prove your claim. But I doubt you can.

Post pics of these tall long-armed women with short biceps. Let's see it.

Oh and for the record the beginning height of a "Tall" woman is 5'9". So let's see these pics of these many tall long-armed women with short biceps.

tammyp
02-16-2009, 08:44 AM
damn jill i never realized the guns you had! damn! mine are going to hit 14 this year if it kills me, im just under now..

Random Letters
02-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh and for the record the beginning height of a "Tall" woman is 5'9". So let's see these pics of these many tall long-armed women with short biceps.

"Short" and "long" are being used in relative terms. It's the illusion created by where the insertions/attachements of the muscle occur.

In terms of biceps, think of Kevin Levrone's football shaped biceps. These would be considered long biceps because they attach so close to the elbow. .

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m143/alexbarron88/Kevin_Levrone_photo305.jpg

Then think of Ron Coleman, who would be considered to have the "short", baseball shaped biceps

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g239/DoryuX/Myspace%20Photos/ronnie_coleman.jpg

It has nothing to do with height. I'm 6'4" and my biceps would be considered "short" because of where they attach, when in reality, they would be much longer than Levrone's because of my arm length.

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Once again you can NOT compare men to women.

You can not put them in the same category. Just like you can NOT put short women and tall women in the same category.

Why is it that when there's a debate about women's physiques it's always some MEN who use examples of other MEN as a means to prove their point? If we are talking about oranges you can't use french fries as a relative topic.

Random Letters
02-16-2009, 11:09 AM
Once again you can NOT compare men to women.

You can not put them in the same category. Just like you can NOT put short women and tall women in the same category.

Why is it that when there's a debate about women's physiques it's always MEN who use examples of other MEN as a means to prove their point? If we are talking about oranges you can't use french fries as a relative topic.

I'm not familiar enough with women's BB to quickly access photo's to prove the point you want proven, but the physiology remains the same when it comes to biceps attachments between men and women.

The fact remains, being tall doesn't necessarily equate to longer, peakless biceps, and being short doesn't guarantee the opposite.

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm not familiar enough with women's BB to quickly access photo's to prove the point you want proven, but the physiology remains the same when it comes to biceps attachments between men and women.

The fact remains, being tall doesn't necessarily equate to longer, peakless biceps, and being short doesn't guarantee the opposite.

Well then that means your point is mute.

Why?

Because I'm extremely tall. I'm a bodybuilder and figure competitor and I have long biceps with no peak. I also have pictures to prove this.

That means that I have proven my point unlike those who say I'm wrong.

Random Letters
02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Well then that means your point is mute.

It's "moot" not "mute", and no, it isn't.

Just because something is true in YOUR case, doesn't make it a universal truth...:rolleyes:

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:22 AM
It's "moot" not "mute", and no, it isn't.

Just because something is true in YOUR case, doesn't make it a universal truth...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the correction. You're right. It's "moot" not "mute".

But in the end you still FAILED in proving your point.

Oh and one more thing. Until you prove me wrong, it is the universal truth for all Tall women.

Random Letters
02-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the correction. You're right. It's "moot" not "mute".

But in the end you still FAILED in proving your point.

No, I just haven't proved it to your satisfaction, according to your rules. You are familiar with female competitors, so you are better equipped to educate yourself at this point.

Go ahead and look at an array of tall female competitors and notice that some have biceps that attach at the elbow and others have biceps that attach higher up the arm. It's genetic, and not related to height.

You can PM me an apology when you figure it out.

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:30 AM
No, I just haven't proved it to your satisfaction, according to your rules. You are familiar with female competitors, so you are better equipped to educate yourself at this point.

Go ahead and look at an array of tall female competitors and notice that some have biceps that attach at the elbow and others have biceps that attach higher up the arm. It's genetic, and not related to height.

You can PM me an apology when you figure it out.

What do you mean array of tall female competitors? Are you kidding me? :eek: Tall female competitors are RARE. But then again if you followed female bodybuilders and watch their competitions you would know this.

PM you an apology? Wow! How testosterone of you.

esplendido
02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Goddess, you seem to be frustrated with your own physique. Post a picture of your flexed biceps so that we can understand where you're coming from. You say you have a long biceps with no peak.....but the lack of peak could be from lack of development. Let us help you understand your own body. That's what this site is for.....to support one another.

Random Letters
02-16-2009, 11:36 AM
PM you an apology? Wow! How testosterone of you.

C'mon, only 800mg a week!

:D

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Here's another example of a tall woman to prove my point even further.

Here's is the WONDERFUL Nicole Bass who also stands 6'2" (love her!)

Look at her biceps. Notice how long they are and how they lack peak.

http://ecwfrenchtribute.free.fr/HTLM/Photos/Divas/M-R/Nicole_Bass/Nicole_Bass_03.jpg

esplendido
02-16-2009, 11:38 AM
By the way, there haven't been height classes for bodybuilders in American bodybuilding since the AAU quit promoting shows. All women compete in weight classes in amateur shows. It would take quite a bit of research to dig out the women who are "tall" by your standard (over 5'-9"). Perhaps you have some examples you could post for us.

esplendido
02-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Here's another example of a tall woman to prove my point even further.

Here's is the WONDERFUL Nicole Bass who also stands 6'2" (love her!)

Look at her biceps. Notice how long they are and how they lack peak.

http://ecwfrenchtribute.free.fr/HTLM/Photos/Divas/M-R/Nicole_Bass/Nicole_Bass_03.jpg
They lack peak because they lack full development. She's muscular but not national caliber muscular. You have to compare apples to apples. In addition, even though they look long, they insert well before the elbow by an inch. A long biceps would insert at the elbow, as this picture of gunz once again illustrates......

goddessamazon
02-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Goddess, you seem to be frustrated with your own physique. Post a picture of your flexed biceps so that we can understand where you're coming from. You say you have a long biceps with no peak.....but the lack of peak could be from lack of development. Let us help you understand your own body. That's what this site is for.....to support one another.

Ok I'm admit that I can get a little frustrated at times but now with my own body. I get frustrated with people misconception of "Tall Women"

That really gets under my skin. This female at my gym who stands only 5'8" calls herself an Amazon. When I asked her to explain why she refers to herself as an Amazon she said and I quote "Because when I wear heels I'm over six feet tall"

Give me a freakin break! I'm a black woman so if I pour baby powder all over my body does that make me white?

C'mon, only 800mg a week!

:D

LOL!!!!

OK You got me. :)

esplendido
02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok I'm admit that I can get a little frustrated at times but now with my own body. I get frustrated with people misconception of "Tall Women"

That really gets under my skin. This female at my gym who stands only 5'8" calls herself an Amazon. When I asked her to explain why she refers to herself as an Amazon she said and I quote "Because when I wear heels I'm over six feet tall" :)

Goddess, it's all relative. In her world, she towers over most women and stands eye-to-eye with most men. Your perspective is from a taller height, making it seem silly that she feels overly tall. In the same vein, a woman who is 7'-0" tall would consider your assumption of being an amazon silly.

I sense you've been infairly judged in life and your height has been an issue. Embrace what God has given you. You are not a sum of your physical parts. You are who your spirit is, and confidence is undeniably attractive.

Curt James
02-16-2009, 11:55 AM

You've got a slight gap, but an incredible arm. Not speaking for Stav, but there is a Nautilus book that shows a pic of Sergio and there's absolutely no room for any fingers to slip in the gap between the crook of the elbow and the biceps tendon insertion (if that's the right word... what, I'm an anatomist? :confused:).

Stav, what about Betty Viana?

9I0EV0n74zU

:eek:

Okay, so her biceps are kinda short, but for some reason, I DON'T GIVE A DAMN! :p

And Iris has some long arms and looong biceps.

Check the pic in her Rx Muscle Q&A thread! (http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthread.php?t=1101)

goddessamazon
02-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Goddess, it's all relative. In her world, she towers over most women and stands eye-to-eye with most men. Your perspective is from a taller height, making it seem silly that she feels overly tall. In the same vein, a woman who is 7'-0" tall would consider your assumption of being an amazon silly.

I sense you've been infairly judged in life and your height has been an issue. Embrace what God has given you. You are not a sum of your physical parts. You are who your spirit is, and confidence is undeniably attractive.

Ok first, don't try to psychoanalyze me because you're way off base. You know nothing about me or my past so stop with the guessing games Dr Phil! (http://www.drphil.com/)

Secondly, I've met (unlike you) plenty of women who stand well over 6'7" and they all consider me an Amazon. Yes they are taller than me but they do not think I'm foolish for referring to myself as an Amazon unlike that 5'8" chick. You defend her by saying it's relative in her world? Pfft! So if I pour baby powder all over my body and told the world I was white that would be relative in my world right? But in reality the world would think that I'm some crazy black chick high off crack with baby powder all over my body. I deal only with reality and NOT the crazy illusions within someone's mind.

Thirdly, I AM the sum of my physical parts which represents my spirit. My physical being is that of a STRONG POWERFUL CONFIDENT WOMAN! My world is defined by who I am physically so get your facts straight and stop telling me how I should view myself. I got this. I don't need your help.

And lastly..............

I'm gonna end this debate with you. It's not worth my energy anymore. It's time that I stop debating with people who are ignorant of what society considers to be tall for a woman. The next time you're in doubt use google.com because I'm not here to teach you. You either get it or you don't and in your case..........you'll never get it so I'm moving on from this topic. The next time I debate about TALL WOMEN it will be with knowledgeable individuals who speak from experience and not from those who seen us on TV.

And last but not least. Nicole Bass does not have short biceps.

peace out

Stavman
02-19-2009, 03:17 AM
^^^^

Someone is full of themselves.

SallyAnne
02-19-2009, 01:48 PM

I have to agree with this.

Laura Lee
02-20-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not super lean in this picture and only compete in figure, but I believe my biceps are long. I'm 5'4 1/2"

Random Letters
02-20-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm not super lean in this picture and only compete in figure, but I believe my biceps are long. I'm 5'4 1/2"

Yep. Those are long biceps alright.

You look great!

Curt James
02-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Hey, you compete in figure. You don't "only" compete in figure! ;)

Awesome arm and I agree. Looks like a loooong biceps!

Sistersteel
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
Ok first, don't try to psychoanalyze me because you're way off base. You know nothing about me or my past so stop with the guessing games Dr Phil! (http://www.drphil.com/)

Secondly, I've met (unlike you) plenty of women who stand well over 6'7" and they all consider me an Amazon. Yes they are taller than me but they do not think I'm foolish for referring to myself as an Amazon unlike that 5'8" chick. You defend her by saying it's relative in her world? Pfft! So if I pour baby powder all over my body and told the world I was white that would be relative in my world right? But in reality the world would think that I'm some crazy black chick high off crack with baby powder all over my body. I deal only with reality and NOT the crazy illusions within someone's mind.

Thirdly, I AM the sum of my physical parts which represents my spirit. My physical being is that of a STRONG POWERFUL CONFIDENT WOMAN! My world is defined by who I am physically so get your facts straight and stop telling me how I should view myself. I got this. I don't need your help.

And lastly..............

I'm gonna end this debate with you. It's not worth my energy anymore. It's time that I stop debating with people who are ignorant of what society considers to be tall for a woman. The next time you're in doubt use google.com because I'm not here to teach you. You either get it or you don't and in your case..........you'll never get it so I'm moving on from this topic. The next time I debate about TALL WOMEN it will be with knowledgeable individuals who speak from experience and not from those who seen us on TV.

And last but not least. Nicole Bass does not have short biceps.

peace out

GoddessAmazon
Esplendido was extremely cordial and genuine in his approach which you did not reciprocate. You need to learn how to take criticism like an adult. That is what these boards are for, to debate and discuss, and maybe make some friends in the process. Friends Goddess..not slaves ;)

Curt James
02-20-2009, 11:08 PM
So if I pour baby powder all over my body and told the world I was white that would be relative in my world right?

goddessamazon, can we play a word substitution game?

baby powder = oil
white = Curt's plaything

Sounds like the beginnings of a rockin weekend! :p

Hey! I heard you say "Sounds like a nightmare!" :mad:

:o

Uh, hey, Arthur Jones (he of Nautilus fame), I believe, wrote the book (or one book) on biceps "length." Bend your arm to a 90-degree angle and flex it. If you can fit two fingers between the crook of your elbow and your biceps then it's not long. His estimation system covers all heights from nuthin' to eight-feet tall. If you have an arm, bend it to 90 degrees and see how much tendon you're looking at.

BadAssBarbie
02-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I'm kinda tall(ish) and my biceps are pretty friggin' short....pretty much non-existant!!! Any suggestions?? SORRY.....I couldn't resist:)

powergirl
02-21-2009, 09:49 PM
one reason why a person with long arms may look as thought they may not have a 'peak' on their bicep is that in relation to their body size their arms may appear smaller (because they are long!)....but put those same biceps on a 'short' person and their arms will appear huge. a tall person has to have MUCH MORE MUSCLE to give the same aesthetic appearance as a short person. (i am speaking from experience).
if your arms are short you can have a 'short' bicep or a 'long' bicep (which is genetically determined) but if you are tall it won't matter a damn, you still have to put more size on to make it look 'thick' and 'full'.
there is also the other consideration that each muscle is genetically shaped differently, whether long or short ---look at the variation in types of muscle on everyone. there are no hard and fast rules based on height and muscle length. LOL