Conversation Between LookImDancinCrazy! and John Hansen

16 Visitor Messages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. why sure. You and I mentioned it in one of our conversations. I'd love to get them both. I've got a birthday coming up pretty soon. Maybe I'll ask for them. Wayne DeMilia....man there's a name I haven't heard in a looooong time. Does he still have those sunken cheeks?
  2. Hey stranger, how have you been? Have you heard of the book "Muscle, Smoke and Mirrors"? Volume one came out a few years ago but Volume 2 just came out late last year and it's really good. I definitely recommend it. It's a little expensive but you can get it cheaper at Amazon.com. I had lunch with Wayne DeMilia last week and he had some great stories!
  3. Another great article John!
  4. I hope you can get Rick on the phone. That would be awesome. His last article for the Star suggested he may be on the skids there, so maybe he'll have some time on his hands now for a talk.
  5. Yes, I love that book. Rick Wayne was the BEST writer Muscle Builder ever had. Sometimes he would go off on tangents like with the racism angle, etc, but most of the time he was great. Jack Neary was also really good. I would love to talk to Rick Wayne. I'll bet he has a ton of great stories!

Yes, I think the secret to Murrell staying tight is that he never gets fat so his skin is always tight.
  6. John, do you have this book?
    [url]http://www.amazon.com/Muscle-Wars-Behind---Scenes-Bodybuilding/dp/0312553536/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314127481&sr=8-1[/url]
    I believe Rick Wayne is very likely to be a reliable source. Also, if you can get him on the line, you could talk to Rick Wayne down in St. Lucia. Just looked at the St. Lucia Star and as late as last month he published an article in it. Maybe call them up?

Yeah Mr. Hall is unbelievable! Clearly he has stayed in phenomenal shape year round for decades. It's remarkable how tight his skin still is as well.
  7. Zane is always at the Arnold but I don't think he goes to the Olympia. He's looking sort of old but I guess he tries to peak every summer and take pictures, which I think is pretty cool. My friend Murrell Hall looks much better than Zane and he's 70 years old but Murrell is one of a kind (and natural too). The story that Zane told was that he took the plate off the trophy and left the trophy but it fell and broke. Boyer Coe emailed me after the first article came out and he told me to buy this one magazine that had a lot of the details from the contest in there. I emailed the person who had the magazine but no luck so far. I'll have to get to work on that article soon because it's almost September. Damn, where is this year going?
  8. Yeeees I remember that commentator! Nice guy, but yeah clueless about BB. He also did at least one show with Carla too. I remember one routine he would not shut up and allow Chris to point out some pertinent things in the routine. Finally Chris sort of cut him off. Both Chris and Carla were excellent ambassadors for BB back then. And yes I've seen Best in Show! LOL Fred Willard. That guy was a bit like that.

The exchange with you today got me thinking about Zane and was he's up to today. Been checking out his site. Looks like he's still got his Zane Haven thing going on. The pic of him at 66 was stunning. Have you seen that? Wow. He's even still selling his old leg blaster bless his heart. (I can't imagine he sells many of those anymore) He was pushing those when we met him in '93 and I don't recall any takers even then. In your part II you need to tell us if he really did smash his trophy in '80.
  9. OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. That's cool that your dad has those classic magazines. I have a lot of those too and I bought some of the older ones on Ebay that I didn't have. That show you are thinking of was either the Pro World that Arnold used to promote (before it became the Arnold Classic) or it might have been the Olympia because that was held in Columbus in 1986. I remember Arnold cutting him off too. Chris Dickerson was excellent when he was doing the commentary for the ESPN shows. I met Chris at the Tampa Bay pro show in June and I told him what a great job he did on those broadcasts. It was sort of funny how they put him on with a basketball announcer who didn't know anything about bodybuilding. Did you ever see that movie "Best in Show" about the dog shows? They had a similar thing in that movie where they put a dog expert on the TV commentary with this sports announcer who was clueless about dog shows. It was hilarious!
  10. Oh no lol sorry I guess that sentence was awkward. My dad owned a lot of fitness books and mags and the Darden books were amongst them. We still have MB mags around from waaay back when Rick Wayne very first became Editor in Chief. Dad was a really big BB enthusiast up until the late 80's. You ever catch that ESPN broadcast of an IFBB show circa '86 when Arnold was doing the backstage interviews? Pretty sure it was the O. (still in the family on videotape) Arnold was foolish enough to ask Bob on camera why he was smaller than the other guys and hey Bob told him! As I recall Arnold had to sort of cut him off. Good for Bob.

Hey I read Part I of your '80 Mr. O article. You make a very well known story I've read many times before an interesting read. Well done. Wow 213lbs (by his own account) and they have the temerity to put him in 1st. Mortifying.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

X vBulletin 4.2.3 Debug Information

• Page Generation 0.07331 seconds
  • Memory Usage 6,152KB
  • Queries Executed 12 (?)
More Information
Template Usage (28):
  • (1)ad_footer_end
  • (1)ad_footer_start
  • (1)ad_global_above_footer
  • (1)ad_global_below_navbar