Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Default Jason a.k.a. big nut is Rx Muscle Member of the Month for November!

Jason a.k.a. big nut is Rx Muscle Member of the Month for November!

big nut loves heavy metal, heavy weights, and Heavy Muscle Radio (along with other Rx Muscle podcasts). He's a lifter, a family man, and Rx Muscle's Member of the Month for November!

Jason is 6'2", 260 lbs. At about 15% bodyfat. Let's learn a little more about this tattooed mountain of a man from Minnesota!

Actually 266, just dropped 4 lbs. the last 2 weeks. Trying to downsize some. I know it's a lot easier getting around at 240-250 lbs. for me, than it is currently. Plus the last time I competed in 2009, I was 225, and it was always my goal to be within 20 lbs. of contest weight.

You competed in the Northern States Natural Classic in spring of 2003 at 235 lbs., then the Mr. Minnesota that fall at 225 3/4 lbs., placing 2nd in the Super Heavies at both contests.

What motivated you to step on stage? Did you have an advisor or prep coach for this contest? How was your experience competing?

Well there were a few guys at the gym I was at who competed and they always told me I should try it. One of them put me on a diet where my main carb source was potatoes! Lol. However, it did work for me, as I went from 285 to 230 lbs in 14 weeks.

I enjoyed the contest so much that I did another one that fall, and that was the Mr. Minnesota in 03.

At that time I was motivated by accomplishing the goal of competing, and wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I wasn't in crazy condition by any means, but I was happy nonetheless.

Jason placing 2nd in the Super Heavies at the 2003 Mr. Minnesota competition.

Are you a born Minnesotan or did you move there?

Moved to Minnesota from Iowa when I was 9.

Jason ran track in high school, competing in the 100, 200 and 4 X 100 meter races at 180 lbs.

You ran track at a weight of 180 lbs. That's an incredible weight gain since high school. When did you make your greatest gains? Or has it been a gradual thing over the years?

Once I started lifting seriously, my body just started growing. And once I learned something about nutrition, and started eating more protein and eating at least 6x/ day, I started putting on serious size.

If I remember right, after 2 years of serious training and eating, at age 25, I weighed about 220.

Greatest gains came in the early years because once I got to the point that I realized I didn't need to keep eating the way I was (which included mass gainer shakes between meals), I knew I was big, but I had to take that extra mass off to see good definition.

At that point I think I was happy with the size I had, because prior to that I had a little of the "bigorexia" type thinking, where I didn't think I was anywhere near big enough.

Ever say any of these?

Haha, no. Most of the Fargo type talk comes from northern Minnesota.

Living in Minnesota, are you a Prince fan?

Nah, not really. He is very talented, but not my type of music.

What about Garrison Keillor of the Minnesota Public Radio program "A Prairie Home Companion"?

Nope. My mom listens to his show.

There's a local musician here from the town next to me named Billy McLaughlin. He's a guitarist who had some rare muscular disease a few years ago, and he lost his ability to play guitar with his left hand, so he taught himself how to play the guitar with his right hand. Pretty amazing story. He tours nationally as a solo artist and with his band and I used to go see him play a few times a year. He was actually my guitar teacher when I was 16.

[insert video -- "Finger Dance" by Billy McLaughlin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9--ywPiWmY

Soilwork, Avenged Sevenfold, and System of a Down have caught your ear in the past. And one of your all time favorites is Faith No More.

Down is probably the most listened to music on my ipod these days.

[insert video -- Down's "Bury Me In Smoke"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGm3ByUUA0U

[insert video -- Down's "Ghosts Along The Mississippi"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-UByIJ8130

[insert video -- FAITH NO MORE's "Land of Sunshine"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvX2_aupH0

What does your itunes playlist include now or what gets you pumped for the workout?

Down, Lamb of God, In Flames, Mastodon, Tool (everything Maynard does, Puscifer, APC), and some bands I've always loved: Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pantera, Pink Floyd.

October 2012, age 42, weighing 266 lbs.

You're looking very lean in your recent pic at 260 lbs.-plus. How much LBM do you think you've gained since that Mr. Minnesota show nearly ten years past?

I competed most recently at the Natural Mr Minnesota in 2009, again at 225 lbs.

One week pre-contest, 2009 Mr. Minnesota (You can see the recently torn right biceps in the image above)

Contest day, 2009 Mr. Minnesota

Hard to say how much LBM I've put on since then, as I'm not sure what weight I'd have to get to to get the same body fat percentage, which was I believe around 8-10%.

At that show, I was SUPER flat! My one week out pic looked so much better than the way I looked the day of the show (I know everyone and their brother says this, but just compare the pics, lol).

I had a guy doing my diet, and he's a big believer in low carb and zero carb which I did many days out of the week.

A friend of mine who does nutrition for a living, told me he thought I lost a lot of size preparing for that show, and that he would of used a higher carb diet for me.

I did do his diet the next year, when I had shot up to 276, and lost 26 lbs. in 12 weeks doing his higher carb diet.

I still use his nutrition plan to this day.

You mentioned Megadeth and Slayer in 2010 in your one thread. What concerts have you attended since then?

I've seen Lamb of God twice since then, once with Metallica, once with As I Lay Dying. Also In Flames last February. I'll be seeing Lamb of God again next month with In Flames. Kind of a two for one for me, 2 of my favorite bands together. Sounds like a lot of concerts, but I probably see 3 shows a year. It's my escape from reality for a few hours at a time.

Besides music, it seems you're also a supplement fan. In February you tried IronMagLabs Halo Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by big nut
    “so i received my 1st bottle of halo extreme in the mail on sat. i took 1 cap during the day and another preworkout...holy crap what a flippin pump i had! i have not been lifting heavy due to neck fusion surgery in dec, but my strength shot thru the roof that day, and i had an incredible workout.”

Did you continue that product for a full cycle? If so, what was your experience like?

I used that product for a week and gained something like 7 or 8 lbs. I know it was water weight, but my goal in taking it was to get leaner, not get bigger so I quit taking it. I also got a little irritable while using it. I'm sure it's a good product but I've always been very sensitive to supplements.

You also mentioned an interest in cjc-1295 and ghrp-2. What's your opinion of peptides?

On these peptides, I didn't notice any weight loss. I do love Melanotan II though.

Saw your thread on that product!

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...ork-for-others

Amazing how that stuff works. I usually burn in the summer, but I didn't burn even once this summer. And I was outside more this summer than many others, since we moved last November to an area with a lake and dock access at the end of the road.

From another thread you created, did you find the perfect combination of ginger and garlic?

I've been using garlic pretty much daily since then. I'll use one clove a day. I'll crush it and add it to one of my brown rice, chicken and broccoli meals. I'll add another two cloves during the day if I feel like I'm coming down with a cold. Doing "the garlic" as Dave calls it, seems to have helped me stay healthy and avoid getting sick. And that's not easy with 3 kids.

Care to share your current supplement regimen?

Just basic vitamins with waxy maize and whey protein post workout. I used to use all the different preworkout supps, but developed quite the tolerance to them, so now it's a tall cup of coffee preworkout for me.

Let's backtrack to that quote, however. Neck fusion surgery? Yikes! That was December of 2011? With nearing a year's worth of recovery, how was that experience?

So, I had the Anterior Cervical Disc Fusion in December 2011. Thanks to Zoa Linsey, who I contacted through RXMuscle, I had a good idea of what to expect during my recovery, as she had the same surgery a year earlier.

The surgery went great. I started rehabbing with range of motion exercises at 2-3 weeks afterwards, with 3 lb dbs.My recovery was going great through July, until I jumped off a dock into the lake, landing on the sand. Right when I landed, I knew something wasn't right. I ended up herniating the discs above and below the fusion.

Currently waiting to see how I respond to a cortisone injection I received earlier this week.

If no relief, my doctor is recommending a foraminotomy, where they remove some bone to make more room for the nerve root, which is being impinged by the herniated disc.I've become kind of a neck expert in the last year, lol.

So my training has drastically changed over the last year. I train much lighter now than i ever have, and I always incorporate drop sets and Recently started doing supersets, basically to help burn fat while lifting. Plus it makes the workout go by much quicker.

And how's your elbow now?

That was a crazy freak injury, man! I bumped my elbow on some equipment at the gym one day, and a couple days later I noticed I had a little bruise and could feel what felt like a small amount of water under the skin. A couple days later I'm sitting at work and my elbow felt like I was resting it on a pillow. I feel my elbow, and find this huge lump!

I iced it and then did the dumbest thing I could do, which was train chest and triceps that night. By the time I got home, my arm had swollen so much, and was already getting discolored.

Had an MRI the next week, and I had ruptured the bursa sac. So initially when the elbow swelled up, it was bursitis. When I trained that night, the doctor figured I ruptured the bursa sac.

It took about 5 weeks til the arm looked normal again. Doesn't bother me now unless I bump the elbow.

Plus did you have surgery for your hernia?

“i actually had C6-7 neck fusion surgery 2 weeks ago, and am currently recovering from that. my stomach was so bloated when i got out of the hospital from all the fluids they give you, that my hernia was sticking out big time, and was very uncomfortable. i actually thought it must of busted through even more. after 4 or 5 days, i'd lost enough fluid that my distended belly was back to normal (ankles are still swollen tho), and the hernia doesn't bother me anymore.”

Nope, never had the hernia repaired. It's an umbilical hernia that I've had for many years. Doesn't stick out too bad, but after that surgery, like I said in the thread, I was so bloated and it really stuck out and hurt.

In 2010 you were taking prolotherapy injections in your right biceps tendon, after rupturing it in 2009. Prolotherapy involves injections that cause inflammation which signals the body to repair itself.

At that time you estimated your recovery at 60%. Where do you feel you are now?

And why did you choose this therapy over surgery?

Prolotherapy (rejuvenative injection therapy). Another part of comprehensive pain management program is prolotherapy (sclerotherapy) or so called ‘Canadian injections’. Prolotherapy is an injection therapy that helps to accelerate the collagen synthesis inside impaired ligaments and restores their tendon’s elasticity.

I was 8 weeks out from the 2009 Natural Mr. Minnesota. It was my first show since 2003 and when I tore the biceps I really didn't wanna get it repaired and be out of commission for months. At that point in my life, I couldn't mentally take that much time off from the gym.

The prolotherapy really helps repair those tendons. Since I've been dealing with the neck issue, I haven't had the time to get my biceps treated.

Wow. You're really had an extensive list of injuries including neck fusion surgery, hernia, ruptured biceps tendon, and your elbow. Did we cover them all?

Fortunately I think so! As of 3 years ago, the only injury I had was the initial herniated disc. Nothing else.

One thing the injuries have taught me is to slow down, don't lift so heavy, use perfect form, and do more cardio.

Now it's all about health and longevity, staying healthy (and hopefully injury free from here on out). My goal of being the biggest and freakiest has turned into being the biggest lean healthiest motherfucker I can be!

Gotta be around for my three little ones.

You posted an LA Times article titled “Fifty and fit often means fewer chronic diseases.

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...es-study-finds

Are you at the half-century mark, big nut?

I turned 42 this year. I can remember birthday parties for my parents when they turned 40, and I thought they were so old, lol. I don't feel old, except when dealing with injuries.

When I was younger, aches and pains seemed to heal quicker, I could get by with less sleep and could eat whatever I wanted! But by eating healthy, training regularly, and getting at least 7 hours of sleep, I feel more like I'm 30 than in my 40's.

You create some of the best threads, big nut, constantly asking questions where the answers may benefit the entire Rx Muscle community.

An example thread is “stretch before or after workout? or both?”

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...orkout-or-both

First I wanna say thanks for the compliment. That means a lot coming from you, as you're probably the most thorough researcher when it comes to bbing forums.
    I try to think about how others can benefit in the same way that I'm hoping to benefit from the threads I start and participate in.

A big reason for that is Dave, as I've heard him say many times that knowledge is power, and it should be free and shared with others. Why not help empower someone with your knowledge?

Plus it feels good to know that someone can benefit from your life lessons (or "gym life" lessons, like pointing out to the kid who's doing military presses behind the neck- "That can seriously fuck up your neck son!" That's how I originally injured my neck.)

What type of stretching (and when) do you incorporate in your workouts now?

I've learned thru experience (and from others) that good range of motion movements with very light weights at the beginning of my workout help bring blood to the muscle and kind of prime the muscle before lifting heavier weights. I'll do that and save my stretching til after the workout.

big nut has big calves!

"Calves I inherited from my dad : )"

You've confessed you're “a big bbing fan,” big nut. Who are some of your favorite bodybuilders? I know one for certain!

Honestly, I didn't know much about Palumbo before MD. I obviously had heard of him but didn't know much about him.

I attended the Flex Wheeler Classic here in Minneapolis around 2007 or so. I think Keith Williams might have won that show.

Anyways, the highlight for me was meeting Flex Wheeler, getting my pic with him, Shawn Ray and Silvio Samuel who was the guest poser.

Then they had a seminar, and I asked Palumbo a question about healthy fats and alternatives to macadamia nut oil. I wanted to know it was okay to eat all the natural peanut butter that I was so addicted to, lol.

I was kind of a pb whore, always mixing some tasty chocolate whey protein with it (kinda like a Reese's peanut butter cup).

After that, Palumbo has been my, dare I say mentor (even though he doesn't know me?) as he has taught me so much through his "Ask Dave" threads on MD and now RX and his many videos about nutrition, supplements and training.

L-R: Dennis James and Dave Palumbo competing at the 1997 NPC Nationals

So, to get back to the question, favorite bodybuilders would include Palumbo, Wheeler, Levrone, Ronnie circa 2001, and Lee Haney.

Guys I root for these days would include Rhoden, Victor, David Henry, Jose Raymond, Freeman, and anyone coming back from a bad showing. I like to see guys improve and overcome adversity.

Cedric McMillan is a favorite as well, and he did great earlier this year after having that horrible accident where his family was injured last year. Can't imagine the pressure he was under during that time.

And I've really enjoyed following the 212 class this year. These guys are always in great condition.

Some of my favorite bodybuilders and physique athletes have tattoos. Larissa Reis, the late Ron Teufel, and Ed Corney to name a few. What lit the flame of your tattoo obsession?

Gotta go back to 1993 for this one.

I quit drinking at 23, went through treatment and went to AA meetings 2-3, sometimes even 4 times a week.

It's what I needed to get and stay sober.

Well, when I had one year of sobriety, I wasn't very happy. To try and make a long story short, I attended a spiritual awakening retreat over a weekend, where you actively worked the 12 steps of AA.

For me, it worked. I realized I could turn things over to my higher power, who for me, I found out was God.

Some people use their family or kids as their higher power. I've heard of some people using their truck, which is fine (just hope it doesn't break down on them).

I never preach to anyone or force my beliefs on someone, but I'm very open about it if people ask me about it.

It basically saved my life, as I was ready to start drinking again if I hadn't attended that retreat.

So many of my tattoos have a spiritual meaning behind them. Plus I have all my kids and wife's name on me as well.

As for the tribal, I just really liked it, and my first tattoo was a tribal design.
    I have a tattoo showing Jesus reaching out to the lost sheep, and then above that it shows Jesus holding the lost sheep.

This represents me when I was lost and a raging alcoholic, and then when I was "found" and living with sobriety.

I started with the one tattoo, and never planned on getting more. But that compulsive side of me came out, and just like when I was drinking, or training, I took it to the next level, lol.

I believe that's why I've been able to put on a lot of muscle over the years. I was very obsessive about it.

And like I mentioned previously, now it's about getting and staying lean, but staying muscular as well.

Describe your family, Jason. Are they fitness or bodybuilding fans, too?

I have three kids that mean the world to me. They are so much fun, and my 3-year-old is hell on wheels!

They keep me and my wife very busy!

They're too young to be bbing fans, but my oldest was at all my contests, and I guess he was telling people in the seats by him, while pointing at me on stage, "That's my daddy!"

Awesome, Jason! Thank you for sharing your story with Rx Muscle. I really appreciate your taking the time to contribute this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Living in Minnesota, are you a Prince fan?

Nah, not really. He is very talented, but not my type of music.

What about Garrison Keillor of the Minnesota Public Radio program "A Prairie Home Companion"?

Nope. My mom listens to his show.

There's a local musician here from the town next to me named Billy McLaughlin. He's a guitarist who had some rare muscular disease a few years ago, and he lost his ability to play guitar with his left hand, so he taught himself how to play the guitar with his right hand. Pretty amazing story. He tours nationally as a solo artist and with his band and I used to go see him play a few times a year. He was actually my guitar teacher when I was 16.

[insert video -- "Finger Dance" by Billy McLaughlin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9--ywPiWmY

Soilwork, Avenged Sevenfold, and System of a Down have caught your ear in the past. And one of your all time favorites is Faith No More.

Down is probably the most listened to music on my ipod these days.

[insert video -- Down's "Bury Me In Smoke"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGm3ByUUA0U

[insert video -- Down's "Ghosts Along The Mississippi"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-UByIJ8130

[insert video -- FAITH NO MORE's "Land of Sunshine"]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYvX2_aupH0

CHRIS ACETO'S OFFICIAL CHEERLEADER! GDavis's Avatar

Great read, I really enjoy these "up close and personal" expose on the forum members

Quote Originally Posted by GDavis View Post
    Great read, I really enjoy these "up close and personal" expose on the forum members
    lol You read fast! :-D

Repped and thank you, brother. big nut is another great Rx Muscle member deserving the spotlight!

AVBG

Fookin oath he is! (Lub this guy!)

CHRIS ACETO'S OFFICIAL CHEERLEADER! GDavis's Avatar

Repped and thank you, brother. big nut is another great Rx Muscle member deserving the spotlight!
    Thanks for putting it all together Curt! I appreciate your dedication to what we all do here!
    RX is such a great resource for nutrition, training and life.

Quote Originally Posted by AVBG View Post
    Fookin oath he is! (Lub this guy!)
    Feelings mutual my brother from the other side of the world!
    One of my favorites here!

Quote Originally Posted by GDavis View Post
    I enjoy them too. I think it adds to what makes the RX community so special.

One of a kind!

~ Thats one hell of a read ... Congrats Big Nut!! Good job Curto!! ~

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast