Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    He's baaaaack!!!! Ross Erstling's Avatar

Lightbulb Eat LESS OFTEN when BULKING! SUPER Protein Synthesis!*

Eat LESS OFTEN when BULKING!

There is something magical that happens when you consume around 100g+ of protein per meal..

This individual BOLUS of protein causes a distinct hormonal and biochemical response, ramping up anabolism at the cellular level. ONLY by crossing this protein threshold will you be able to stimulate what I call: "SPS, Super Protein Synthesis". A standard 25-50g of protein per meal is not sufficient to produce this SPS response, you must break this "protein barrier".

Studies have clearly shown that eating in this pattern leads to greater increases in protein synthesis and overall anabolism:

1.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22992307
    2.) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10357740

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME AND PROTEIN, EATING EVERY 2-3 HOURS! Not only is it not at all necessary, it isn't even optimal! The protein that you are consuming is not being fully utilized, and so your gains are suffering. Just by making this one dietary adjustment, I will guarantee that you can increase muscle mass and strength dramatically--and within a very short period of time!

The secondly, eating less often is superior to eating more frequently when trying to add muscle mass, because eating less often while bulking will enable you to consume FAR MORE CALORIES than you’d be able to eating every 2-3 hours. Even if you have a naturally strong appetite, it will be even STRONGER if you WAIT to eat, priming your body to uptake nutrients and release digestive enzymes! The MORE calories that you consume, the HIGHER your IGF-1 level rises! By eating so often, you actually PREVENT your body from going in to this avid hunger mode(not catabolism!) and you therefore actually end up UNDEREATING. This is why eating often is an effective strategy for fat-loss–but not for muscle gain. Eating often is a way to control your appetite. You can do 2 meals, 3 meals, 4 meals, or more depending on how long you are awake. The bottom line is–do NOT EAT UNTIL YOU ARE VERY HUNGRY! This usually means 3-5 hours, NO MORE. We don’t want you going 6-8 hours with no calories, as this would interfere with muscle protein synthesis. However, the MYTH that you MUST eat every 2 hours is just that–a MYTH.
    At the end of the day, as we all know: It’s calories IN vs calories OUT! Take in MORE CALORIES and you GROW!! EAT WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY! For me, that is usually 2-4 hours. Sometimes it’s less, sometimes it’s more, but I ALWAYS LISTEN TO MY BODY. I used to be the same way, I would eat JUST BECAUSE 2 hours had passed and I wasn’t even hungry. BUT–when I waited just a bit more(maybe just an hour or two) I found that I became MUCH HUNGRIER and ended up eating way more food. AGAIN, I EAT ONLY CLEAN FOOD, with occasional cheat meals. Remember, THE MORE CALORIES YOU CONSUME IN ONE SITTING, THE HIGHER YOUR INCREASE YOUR IGF-1 LEVEL

You can eat every 3-5 hours, which equates to anywhere from 3-6 meals on average. The POINT that I am stressing, is that it is LESS IMPORTANT HOW OFTEN YOU EAT and MORE IMPORTANT HOW MUCH YOU EAT. That’s the point to take home. You should NOT EAT before you are hungry, as this will prevent you from eating a lot of food, which is why it is a useful strategy when DIETING; eat BEFORE you get hungry. Eating before you get hungry will ensure that you DON’T over-eat. However, when bulking, you DO NOT want to eat before you get hungry, you want to be hungry so that you will consume more calories. You WANT to over-eat when bulking. Eating too soon will prevent you from getting VERY HUNGRY. You will NOT enter a catabolic state if you wait 3-5 hours to eat. In the end, IF YOU EAT MORE FOOD, YOU WILL GROW MORE. This strategy, eating when HUNGRY, will allow you do consume more food, which will produce more GROWTH.

All of the current scientific data validates the same thing: Meal FREQUENCY is not as important as we thought; all that matters most is HOW MANY CALORIES YOU CONSUME AND HOW MANY YOU BURN.
    Last edited by Ross Erstling; 11-16-2012 at 12:13 PM.

RX MEMBER

Both studies you linked were done in the elderly and neither of them fed anyone more than 100g protein in one go. They did show increased nitrogen retention and marginally increased LBM (0.38kg over 6 weeks) with the pulse feeding, but until the same results are found in healthy young subjects who aren't habitually nitrogen negative, then this (super protein synthesis) is baloney.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Both studies you linked were done in the elderly and neither of them fed anyone more than 100g protein in one go. They did show increased nitrogen retention and marginally increased LBM (0.38kg over 6 weeks) with the pulse feeding, but until the same results are found in healthy young subjects who aren't habitually nitrogen negative, then this (super protein synthesis) is baloney.
    Extrapolate the data and apply it to bodybuilders. For an untrained indivdual or the elderly, 50-75g of protein IS a HUGE BOLUS. For a trained athlete or bodybuilder--not so.

In addition, it's more about TOTAL CALORIES CONSUMED(increasing local and systemic IGF-1) than anything else, and eating less frequently is most effective for that purpose. Studies confirm that OVEREATING (which is what bodybuilders want) occurs when eating less frequently.
    Last edited by Ross Erstling; 11-16-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Oh my... look what the storm washed in.

Welcome back Ross.
    Last edited by Mac; 11-16-2012 at 12:33 PM.

You just acknowledged that nitrogen retention and muscle mass increased; the same would be the case for bodybuilders. REMEMBER that these individuals didn't even TRAIN.

Just because there aren't studies with bodybuilders or trained athletes doesn't mean that it isn't true. We lack data, period. It would be great to have that data, but for now we don't. We can however extrapolate and interpret the current data and apply it to a bodybuilding model.
    Last edited by Ross Erstling; 11-16-2012 at 12:38 PM.

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Erstling View Post
    You just acknowledged that nitrogen retention and muscle mass increased; the same would be the case for bodybuilders. REMEMBER that these individuals didn't even TRAIN.

Just because there aren't studies with bodybuilders or trained athletes doesn't mean that it isn't true. We lack data, period. It would be great to have that data, but for now we don't. We can however extrapolate and interpret the current data and apply it to a bodybuilding model.
    If you had data in middle-aged, otherwise healthy adults then I'd say fine, extrapolate away. The biochemistry of an elderly person who sits on their arse all day is totally different though, so the response will be exaggerated. Even then, the response was minimal.

You can't simply extrapolate from one population to the next, especially when there is literally no link. The fact that Leptin is no longer a big deal proves that.

Total calorie is most important thing yes. Eating more calories in each meal though could, at least in theory, lead to increased fat gain too since too much energy intake leads to an over-load in acetyl-COA which is the driver of lipogenesis. I've not seen any data isocalorically comparing 2-3 meals daily with 4-6 meals on fat gain though.

If you had data in middle-aged, otherwise healthy adults then I'd say fine, extrapolate away. The biochemistry of an elderly person who sits on their arse all day is totally different though, so the response will be exaggerated. Even then, the response was minimal.

You can't simply extrapolate from one population to the next, especially when there is literally no link. The fact that Leptin is no longer a big deal proves that.

Total calorie is most important thing yes. Eating more calories in each meal though could, at least in theory, lead to increased fat gain too since too much energy intake leads to an over-load in acetyl-COA which is the driver of lipogenesis. I've not seen any data isocalorically comparing 2-3 meals daily with 4-6 meals on fat gain though.
    On top of the evidence, I have EXPERIENCE. I look pretty good myself, and so do the many guys who i've switched over. I've shared this info on ProfessionalMuscle and tons of guys have experienced great results. It would be one thing if I were just some scientist or writer, but I am not; I am an AVID bodybuilder and I'm utterly dedicated to my art.
    Last edited by Ross Erstling; 11-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Big Barry

Great article. Conventional bodybuilding methods are vastly overrated, it's why so many bodybuilders stagnate for years at a time. Thinking out of the box is the best way to overcome plateaus.

I've already begun my winter bulk but have been struggling to chow down enough calories so i'm going to try this method for my winter bulk-up... I like big meals!!! Good stuff Ross!

RX MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Erstling View Post
    On top of the evidence, I have EXPERIENCE. I look pretty good myself, and so do the many guys who i've switched over. I've shared this info on ProfessionalMuscle and many guys have experienced great results. It would be one thing if I were just some scientist or writer, but I am not; I am an AVID bodybuilder and I'm utterly dedicated to my art.
    Then that's cool. Can't argue with real life results really. Got before/afters?

Even then, the discussion becomes, if you told your clients to eat 100+g protein in each meal, supposing they ate 2-3 meals a day, did they get (more) gains (than they otherwise would) because of the decreased frequency of feeding OR because they simply ate more calories/protein than normal?

Exactly. The studies deal with two very select groups of people (hospitalized elderly and elderly women). On top of that, the sample size for the second study is very small.

Personally, I've found that eating bigger, less frequent meals seems to work fine. Lately I've been eating 4-5 times a day instead of 6-7 and haven't really lost any size or strength...I'm completely 'natural' right now too...instead of having maybe 3 smaller protein meals at night, I will just have one big meal of about 14 oz. of chicken breast and olive oil.
    Last edited by retwa; 11-16-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Ross da Gawd!!!!

Then that's cool. Can't argue with real life results really. Got before/afters?

Even then, the discussion becomes, if you told your clients to eat 100+g protein in each meal, supposing they ate 2-3 meals a day, did they get (more) gains (than they otherwise would) because of the decreased frequency of feeding OR because they simply ate more calories/protein than normal?
    Well, it's two-fold.

First, even eating an EQUAL number of calories, eating them LESS FREQUENTLY yielded greater gains in muscle mass.

Seondly, eating in this pattern allowed them to CONSUME MORE TOTAL CALORIES, when they were not told how many calories to eat.

That's why I attribute the gains to both--increases in total cals, and greater comparative increases in muscle protein synthesis and other biochemical and hormonal markers, such as IGF-1 and possibly even testosterone(or other androgens, or AR-receptor sensitivity).

RX MEMBER

I should point out that I'm not advocating the typical "6 meals a day" approach. I myself eat 3 times daily and the results are the same as when I was eat 6-8 times daily.

You just can't take some flaky data in elderly people and use it to invent some wishy washy concept. Well, you can if you're name is Poliquin lol but your results with clients (if true), are interesting.

Either way you might find this interesting: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7869919
    Last edited by MikeS; 11-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by retwa View Post
    Exactly. The studies deal with two very select groups of people (hospitalized elderly and elderly women). On top of that, the sample size for the second study is very small.

Personally, I've found that eating bigger, less frequent meals seems to work fine. Lately I've been eating 4-5 times a day instead of 6-7 and haven't really lost any size or strength...I'm completely 'natural' right now too...instead of having maybe 3 smaller protein meals at night, I will just have one big meal of about 14 oz. of chicken breast and olive oil.
    While we agree that the data is indeed limited, we do also agree that eating BIGGER, less frequent meals are superior...correct?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast