Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NPC FL Masters (50+) BB MarkS51's Avatar

Default FL Masters noob's first show...

Hello guys,

Just competed in my first show at the 2012 NPC FL Gold Cup this past Sat. Been working out 35 years and thought about it for a long time, just never took the plunge. Then I had a major heart attack on 7/9/04 and when the idea came up this year instead of thinking "I've got time...", I said "What the HELL am I waiting FOR?". So my wife and I, who entered Masters Figure, hired Debi Laszewski (#2 2012 Miss Olympia) back in June and went to it.

I placed 2nd but I know at least one judge gave it to me on conditioning and symmetry. As for posing I was glad I didn't get flustered and do the deer-in-the-headlights thing. I did run through the mandatories in my show routine but that was on the advice of a long time Masters winner here who told me to keep it simple my first time out. Lee Labrada I ain't!

Anyway, check my pics, the first is from 6/22/12 the day we hired Debi. I was at 196lbs/11% on my own. At the show I was 179/4%. Appreciate any feedback and lemme have it with the bark on. I intend to go on competing and want to be the best 50+ there is. I went back to eating clean Sun and will return to the gym after the holiday.

Debi and I are already collaborating on a game plan for a show in the spring or early summer '13. I know I need to work on my cyclist legs, back, pecs and the shoulders could stand some improvement.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Mark! In my unexpert opinion I would say work on getting a better cap on your delts and try to get a little more size on your quads. This will make your waist look smaller and give your physique a more dramatic presentation.

Welcome to RX. Great job on the contest.

Thanks MacTech.

Yeah, CrawfBigG, quads are definitely on the to-do list as are lats, pecs and shoulders. Gonna go into a bulking phase starting next week for about 3-4 months, do a show late spring/early summer. Would like to gain a net 5-7lbs if possible.

Reason my quads are poor is I've done heavy cardio all my life, right up 'til about a month or so ago. I've got cyclists legs. Debi finally put her foot down and made me stop. Gonna take it to the next level.

Thanks again, guys.

Congrats on the good showing!!

You look great, glad you decided to join us. There are some seasoned vets here and you can learn from them. It's never to late and good luck on your journey!

Focus on bringing your legs up, never let anyone tell you it is not possible to add muscle at your age. It can be done, it's just harder and takes longer.

Props on your stage presence too. You look like you're having a great time doing it.

Hey Hammerfit, thanks for that. No, I don't listen to anybody who I'm not abso-frickin-lutely sure knows wtf they're talking about. And that rules out most gym rats, my former self included. After following Debi's lead for five months I had my eyes opened to how much I thought I "knew" that just wasn't so. I can add muscle, I know I can 'cause I've done it many times before but you're right it don't come as easy as it used to and it doesn't stick as long if you don't tend to it constantly either. Like I've said for years, "I've got to work out twice as long, twice as hard and lose it twice as fast as the young guys."

MacTech, really appreciate that, thanks. If you want a good laugh, go to my website sheplerbodybuilding. com and watch the video I made of my first posing session with Debi a month and a half ago. I practiced my butt off to get my routine down right up to the time we had to roll back to the center for the evening show. And it WAS fun. Ever felt like you finally found where you belonged? That's how I felt and my only regret now is that I didn't pursue this 25 years ago. I had a blast and wasn't too nervous but I just couldn't remember to smile right. I actually thought I was smiling. I managed to pull off 11 poses in 1:30mins without screwing up and was very proud that Debi, who's known for her routines, said I did a good job. But I'll do better next time.

Thanks again.

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS51 View Post
    Ever felt like you finally found where you belonged? That's how I felt and my only regret now is that I didn't pursue this 25 years ago.
    Thanks again.
    This is why I am still competeing after 30 years.....this sport and in the gym is the only place I truely belong. I still feel like an "Old Lion" when I hit the gym....no one has been able to knock me off yet.....of course I am ONLY 47, heck that hardly counts as a "Masters". Hope you have a good off season. Don't bulk too much though, more mature skin can't take as much as it used to.

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    This is why I am still competeing after 30 years.....this sport and in the gym is the only place I truely belong. I still feel like an "Old Lion" when I hit the gym....no one has been able to knock me off yet.....of course I am ONLY 47, heck that hardly counts as a "Masters". Hope you have a good off season. Don't bulk too much though, more mature skin can't take as much as it used to.

Don't bulk too much though, more mature skin can't take as much as it used to.

S
    wing, touched on a very critical point that I think some of us dont realize or forget. The older we get the harder it is for the skin to stay tight. I have learned the hard way and after talking to judges. In the over 50 class they are looking for conditioning. Conditioning trumps mass everytime.

The idea of bulking in the off season is just plain dumb. You can only add a few pounds of muscle per year. If you gain more than 10-15 lbs of your stage weight the skin is stretching with all the extra water and bodyfat. The skin if left in that stretched position for any length of time will have a very hard time tightening up to give you that hard look. Cant tell you how many guys Ive seen look great a few weeks out from show then look "old" on stage because of their skin, something we older guys have to be reminded of.

Point of my dribble...there is no off season, everyday counts.

Great points Hammer.

There is bulking, and then there is getting sloppy and just plain fat.

Fat = more aromatase and increases in estrogen along with DHT suppression.

Mark....you looked great and congratulations on your placing. I am sure that you will make some noise competitively in the future.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfit View Post

Don't bulk too much though, more mature skin can't take as much as it used to.

S
    wing, touched on a very critical point that I think some of us dont realize or forget. The older we get the harder it is for the skin to stay tight. I have learned the hard way and after talking to judges. In the over 50 class they are looking for conditioning. Conditioning trumps mass everytime.

The idea of bulking in the off season is just plain dumb. You can only add a few pounds of muscle per year. If you gain more than 10-15 lbs of your stage weight the skin is stretching with all the extra water and bodyfat. The skin if left in that stretched position for any length of time will have a very hard time tightening up to give you that hard look. Cant tell you how many guys Ive seen look great a few weeks out from show then look "old" on stage because of their skin, something we older guys have to be reminded of.
    Point of my dribble...there is no off season, everyday counts.
    Hey HammerFit, points duly noted and thanks for that. Oh, I have no illusions of adding 10-15 lbs of pure muscle, I'll be happy with 3-5. But I've got to get my legs up in size for sure and that means more muscle, no? Not to worry though, I'm well past taking 5 daily 1200cal weight-gainer shakes w/milk thinking I'm doing it right! (by about 20 years!) There is a way to add some more lean muscle, even at 50, without overdoing it, and keeping at 8% or so along the way. I know because I did it. In the run-up to this show all of my measurements held constant and I even gained .5" on my arms and 1.5" in the chest. I was very pleased about that 'cause I thought I'd lose some for sure with the new diets and training intensity, especially the last four weeks. We did it through constantly, and I mean weekly even daily at the end, monitored nutrition and the right combo of training and cardio. And I will do it. (with Debi's guidance.)

Thanks for that, Keith. Don't know where you are but I'm lobbying my trainer to do the Miami Knight Center show this weekend just for the hell of it. I figure all I gotta do is hit the gym for some uber-reps and dehydrate again but alas, she says no and wants to put our efforts into doing something better later.

See ya around maybe.

Mark

Congratulations on making it to the stage!! many if not most think about it but never make the plunge!you should be proud of your debut efforts.
    for what it worth, you did not do yourself justice on the lat spread. you had more width in there but you did not fully expand your lats.on your rear double bicep shot, try having your biceps above your shoulder opposed to having them below.
    I agree with everyone on the bulk thing. I dont stray too far from stage weight (10-12pounds), probably more than most as I come from the school of staying hard year round which allows me to have an easy and short precontest and I feel awesome and have high energy all the time. Good luck in the offseason! if you wanna call it that..lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast