Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Weight today: 198.8. The last time I was that low was like the first week of Feb. Going on about 6 weeks of trying to lean out some. I think I am a better 198 than the last time I weighed around that much. I'll try to get some pics up at some point during the log.

So today I did some light legs, low back, traps, abs. Pretty good workout. Did 10 sets of 2 on Squats, kinda strange to me but I have been following a workout I saw in the training methods section. Not a lot of weight but like 10 seconds rest between sets and just real good form, nice deep squats. I like trying different things I see on the forums here. Before that I did some light leg ext. and curls to get the blood going.

I then did some one legged hyperextensions. Saw this in Mac's thread and wanted to try them. Really liked it. I am going to keep doing these, I think it may help even out some of the strength differences in my low back, felt really good.

Barbell Shrugs, and then a bunch of ab stuff.

Off day tomorrow. I'll probably up the calories a bit for a day, mow the grass and spend some time with the family, recoup and try to hit it hard on Sunday. Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by crawfBigG View Post
    It seems many of us have low back issues, trying to press heavy loads of weight for years on end, I guess something has to give at some point. It's nice to know it ain't just me if that makes sense. Speaking of which, this morning got up, felt good, slept good, about ten minutes into my day, making some coffee, all of a sudden cramp on the left side of my low back. Which immediately led to various expletives and equaled no cardio this morning. No biggie though, it loosened up throughout the day. Took today off from the gym, and did some cardio at home this evening on my bike. Hopefully back at it tomorrow. And the mood thing is awesome.
    try this...when you wake up in the morning...roll out of bed(and i mean really roll)onto the floor..get in the pray to allah postion with your arms stretched out in front of you...slowly stretch yourself farther and farther..your back might even crack..i do this when my back starts acting up..it helps allot..

Quote Originally Posted by s2h View Post
    try this...when you wake up in the morning...roll out of bed(and i mean really roll)onto the floor..get in the pray to allah postion with your arms stretched out in front of you...slowly stretch yourself farther and farther..your back might even crack..i do this when my back starts acting up..it helps allot..
    I googled "Pray to Allah position"...nice description, many perfect examples in front of my eyes. So you're saying after getting in position push back towards my ass, making my back bow out, thus expanding my discs....kinda like the cat stretch? Every morning, (skip one day a week usually) after one cup of coffee I march in place for 4-5 minutes and then do a set of ten of the Yoga position "Cobra Pose", then after that I do a few cat stretches. I'll give Allah a shot though, as a matter of fact I just did a few...lol. Appreciate the occasional tips you drop s2h, they have been helpful. Lately I have picked up on your tips in other logs and threads too. I have altered my squat form a bit from the tip you dropped in the "Squat Challenge" thread. Placing the bar lower on my back, just below my traps, I think I always had it a bit too high, taking some getting used to but I feel better squatting now...during and after, my knees or back don't get as sore, if that makes sense. Also I tried out one of the splits Lastson was using for a while. I've learned a ton on this forum.

glad the tips helped out...i guess it shows my age..lol..on the pray to Allah stretch...you can arch up or down..i normally stretch str8 out as far as i can slowly...then work the up and down curve in my back..i cramp sometimes on the down movement..then hit the foam roller after the allah stretch to pop my back..i feel pretty good after that..might take 5 minutes..moving the bar squating back some or lower on your traps takes allot of pressure off your spine as long as you dont bend at the waist...keeping your head and eyes up prevents that..biggest mistake i see is guys dont ever look back up after they walk the bar off..

Weight this morning: 201.8. Boom...I went a little overboard on the calories maybe yesterday. A lot of what I ate was decent quality food though. In review had lunch at a Mexican place, Mucho Grande Burrito filled with chicken, beans, salsa, rice, onions, peppers, etc., the meal started with tortillas, salsa and queso. Later had a double cheeseburger ( a small one, value menu at Wendys ), and a baked potato to which I added some Kerrygold Irish butter and lots of salt and pepper. Finally had a black and bleu salad made at home..steak, romaine lettuce, bleu cheese, parmesan cheese, bacon bits, purple onions, tomatoes and caeser dressing, which I followed with some Oatmeal Pop Tarts, lol. That was my last three meals of the day.

Woke up today and hit the bike for 15 min. of HIIT after some stretching. Later about 1:30 went to the gym:

10 sets of 3 - Bench Press 45-65% 1RM
    Lying Tricep Extensions (EZ Curl Bar)-4 sets of 8-10
    Triceps Pressdowns-4 sets of 8-12
    One Arm Rows-4 sets of 8-10
    DB Hammer Curls-3 sets of 8-10

Then 15 more minutes HIIT on the elliptical

Pretty good day. My energy was great which I was glad about. This is the first week I included a decent amount of carbs in my diet. The previous 5 weeks were pretty much a near keto approach. To which I had three similar higher calorie days.....the next day after each one I felt hungover or something. Sluggish, sleepy, lazy. Not so this time. Any explanations or similar experiences to this on refeed/higher cal days? Maybe it was the Osta? Been sticking with the three pills spread out over the day: 1 about 6am, 3pm, and 9pm. Been pleased so far, looking forward to the rest of the run.

Weight this morning: an even 200. The Osta is def starting to kick in. I had a great workout tonight. Good pump, felt pretty strong, by my standards at least, great focus and just killed my session tonight.

WarmUps - Leg Ext. and Leg Curls - 3 sets each - 20 reps

Squats- below parallel with very slow negatives
    185x6, 225x3, 275x3, 295x3, 315x2, 335x1, 345x1

Reverse hyperextensions
    4 sets of 15

Bent Rows
    135x10, 185x8, 215x8, 235x8

Leg Press Calf Press
    2plates x25
    4plates x25
    6plates x25
    6plates x25

Was supposed to do Abs but I was finished after the Bent rows truthfully. I'll do them tomorrow. Came home, iced the back, and prayed it liked my workout as much as I did, lol.

Added a few extra cals tonight. Scoop of PB with the post workout shake. Two strawberries, and three tablespoons of KC Masterpiece with my chicken and rice on the last meal. I may start to slowly inch up the calories as long as my back takes this workout pretty well. My goal this year was to put on size. I have only been cutting because of my setback. Try to lean out some of the weight I have gained while I recover to the point of being able to lift hard and heavy again. Last September I weighed 180, now I am pretty much hovering around 200 most of the time. Was at 213.6 at my heaviest. Last November is when I used my first IML product...

I got a long way to go for sure, but IML stuff has def helped me put on some muscle over the last six months.

Weight: 200.6. Decent workout tonight. I have been finished for like 45 minutes as I'm typing this and I still feel pumped. Was supposed to start with Bench Press tonight, which I did. Tonight was supposed to be my heavy night......thing is I am still sore from the last heavy day two chest workouts ago though. It was the first time I had really went heavy in a long while and I'm still feeling it. So I warmed up really good and hit some strict sets. I started this workout rotation, it's like you do 3 weeks of a Westside type routine, then 2 weeks of Bodybuilding type routine, then back to the Westside. As you get more used to the heavy lifting you can increase past the three weeks. It's kicking my ass so far, lol.

Bench press - very slow negatives, pause on chest, then press
    185x6, 205x3, 225x3, 245x1 or 3 (can't remember for sure), 265x1 (pretty easy, I thought it would be harder considering still being very sore, and the pause on chest)

Lying DB Tricep Ext.
    4 sets of 5-10

Triceps Pressdown
    4 sets of 8-12

Side Laterals
    4 sets of 10-12

Wide Grip Chins
    4 sets of 8-10

Bicep Curls
    3 sets of 8-10

Then did my abs I skipped last workout.
    7 sets of 15-20

Osta comments: Looking maybe a tad bit leaner yet not losing any strength, or actually gaining for that matter. Part of the strength though is coming back from the layoff I had. I think I may be almost back to where I was, so we'll see where we get before the month is over.

The Engineer: GAT Lead Rep lastson's Avatar

The new program looks interesting, can't wait to see how it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lastson View Post
    The new program looks interesting, can't wait to see how it works out for you.
    ^ This. And yeah, Osta's great for helping to lean out while maintaining strength.
    IronMag Labs DISCOUNT CODE: ebfitness15

IronMag Research DISCOUNT CODE: ebfitness15

Weight this morning: 198.6. Took yesterday off from weights but did morning and night HIIT 15 mins. each on my bike. Tonight, dynamic effort Squat. Lol, feels crazy typing that because I am not a powerlifter, but this program does resemble WestSide stuff somewhat and that is really what tonight's workout was about.

S2H, the squat form is really starting to feel good now. Feel like I'm getting in a nice groove with the wider stance, lower position on back, head up, sit back on descent. Tonight I tried some really deep box squats, way below parallel. 10 sets of 3 after getting warmed up with some various stuff and a couple of super light sets. I used 225. At the bottom, sit, relax the hips, then explode up as fast as possible, which wasn't that fast, lol. Minimal rest between sets. Loved it!

The Osta is kicking ass, I feel great. It's not like I'm making giant leaps in strength or anything but it's just like the workouts are going really good with a smooth slow progression. Super DMZ hits you like a freight train, this stuff is more like maybe a FIAT 500 or something...

Moved on to Glute Ham Raises, haven't done these in forever! They don't have a real one at my gym, but I just get in the lat pulldown backwards and do them like that.

4 sets - 6,5,5,4 - Hams totally pumped!

Abs - 6 sets - Various exercises

Shrugs 4 sets - 20, 20, 15, 12

Going to see my son tomorrow and get a workout in with him. Should be fun. Hopefully I sleep well, I'll need it, 8pm finish tonight and meeting him tomorrow at 1pm. Check back in tomorrow...

Weight this morning: 198 even. New low and probably last low for a while. My back is holding up pretty good so I am going to start the calorie increase now. And today is refeed day! Once again hit the Mexican and Double Cheeseburger cheats.

My Hams are fried from the Glute Ham Raises yesterday. 20 total reps and they are more sore than they have been in a long time!

Went to the gym with my boy today. He is 22. He has been lifting steady for about a year now. He has gained 74 lbs. over that time!!! He also loves some IML/BSL products!

So today was dynamic effort Bench Press.

I did couple warm ups then 185x3, then 9 sets with 225x3. This was probably about 20 lbs too heavy for dynamic day. I did 165 on my first dynamic bench day and that was really too light. Would have been fine with some bands or something but I don't have any of that stuff. If I fall in love with this workout, I may look into getting some of that stuff. With 225 I'm just not getting enough speed. Still finding my way with this program. I did really slow negative, pause on chest and explode up as fast as possible. WestSide wants you to do the negative and the positive fast, but I am choosing not to do that on the negative.

Lying Tricep Extensions EZ Curl Bar
    75x8, 100x8, 125x8, 150x6

Rope Pressdowns
    4 sets of 12

Seated Cable Pulley Rows
    4 sets of 8-10

Preacher Curls
    3 sets of 8-10

My last 4 workouts have been feeling really good. Eager to see how the next two weeks go.

those dynamic lifts are a nice addition and def serve a purpose..how often do you train like that?

In the past I have never trained like that. I just started this 8 workouts ago.

Workout 1- Max Effort Squat or Dead

Warm up then sets of Triples until you can't get a triple, then like 2 or 3 sets of singles. Do a different exercise each week; Back Squat, Front Squat, Box Squat, Dead

Rest of workout: Lower Back/Hamstring Exercise 4 sets of 8-10
    Ab Exercise 4 sets of 8-12
    Upper Back Exercise 4 sets of 8-10
    Calf Exercise 4 sets of 20-50

Change exercises every workout

DAY OFF

Workout 2- Max Effort Bench Press

Warm up then sets of Triples until you can't get a triple, then like 2 or 3 sets of singles. Do a different exercise every third rotation; Bench Press, Decline, Incline, Dumbbells

Rest of workout: Tricep Exercise for power 4 sets of 5-10 (Close Grips, Wghtd Dips, LTEs, Tate Presses, etc.)
    Tricep Pressdowns 4 sets of 8-12
    Shoulder Work - Laterals 4 sets 10-12
    Upper/Mid Back Exercise 4 sets of 8-10
    Bicep Exercise 4 sets of 8-10

DAY OFF

Workout 3-
    Dynamic Effort Squat or Dead

Warm up then same exercise as Workout 1 for that rotation except use 45-65% of 1RM and do the movement explosive, as fast as possible for 8-10 sets of 2 or 3.

Rest of workout: Lower Back/Hamstring Exercise 4 sets of 8-10
    Ab Exercise 4 sets of 8-12
    Neck Work - Your Choice, I usually do Shrugs of some sort

Workout 4- Dynamic Effort Bench Press

Warm up then same exercise as Workout 2 for that rotation except use 45-65% of 1RM and do the movement explosive, as fast as possible for 8-10 sets of 2 or 3.

Rest of workout: Tricep Exercise for power 4 sets of 5-10 (Close Grips, Wghtd Dips, LTEs, Tate Presses, etc.)
    Tricep Pressdowns 4 sets of 8-12
    Upper Back Exercise 4 sets of 8-10
    Bicep Exercise 4 sets of 8-10

DAY OFF - then repeat

Repeat the 4 workout rotation for 3 cycles, then switch to a bodybuilding type routine for two weeks. During this time you can work on weaker bodyparts you want/need to bring up as well. Then hop back on and repeat. As your CNS and body become more adapted you can increase past the three weeks and go longer, up to 6-7 weeks MAX before you deload.

Weight: 202. - 4 lb. jump, geez. I did have two small children on the toilet later in the morning so some of the 4 lbs. probably left the building, lol. So I shot some cold pics this morning like first thing, and I must say I was pretty disappointed. I don't look that much leaner at all, and I have lost some size for sure. I compared them to my Super DMZ pics and it is clear to see, especially on my back double. I guess that is what happens when you miss nearly a month of training. Oh well it is what it is, my abs look a little better, so there's one bright note at least:

Abs.jpgBckDbl.jpgFrontDbl.jpgSideChest.jpg

The Engineer: GAT Lead Rep lastson's Avatar

beast.. Holy crap if you lost size..it couldn't have been much..

Nice work and great log..very detailed

Last

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast