Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default A Journey into Bodybuilding

A Journey into Bodybuilding

Here we go - Round #2

On April 13th, 2013 I competed in Men’s Physique at the age of 40. I’ve been involved in the Supplements, Bodybuilding & Fitness Industry for over 15 years. However, I have never had any interest to compete until now. It may possibly because it adds credibility to what I do; or possibly because my wife is a National Level Physique Competitor; or possibly because I’m looking for the challenge and the gathered experience.

Previous Log Prepping for Men’s Physique: http://alturl.com/u839k

Going into this past competition I told my trainer I want to be the most conditioned Men’s Physique Competitor on stage. Many weeks out I said, I will either place high or place low, but regardless the outcome I just wanted to be the most conditioned. I was the most conditioned. Dryer than many of the Bodybuilder’s that were there, and very lean at 178LBs on stage - I placed 6th out 13 guys in the Tall Class. No, I am 5’10” (Middle Class) but they insisted I was 6’0” and put me in the Tall Class. Taking a look at the Middle Class, I may have placed in the top 5 but it’s irrelevant to me. I will give it to my competitors though, this was one of the best groups of Men’s Physique Competitors I have seen at a Regional show since it’s introduction in the NPC approximate 3 years ago. Of course I haven’t seen every show but these guys were the typical ‘Boy Toy’ ‘Beach Bum’ look.

For me to place higher I would have to find a show with less competitors or come in less conditioned. No way I’m going to purposely come in less conditioned but with this said, I’m up 16LBs over this past week (water weight obviously), I could probably walk on stage right now with a better outcome.
    It was a great experience and after lots of thinking, I’m going to do something I said I was never going to do either – Bodybuilding. I was always said, unless I’m 220LBs – 230LBs, there is no way I’m stepping on stage! Well, I may not be that weight that I’m looking for, but I’m going to be busting my ass to be the most conditioned in 2014 when I make my Bodybuilding debut.

As mentioned, my wife is a Women’s Physique Competitor. She will be re-qualifying for the National Stage June 1st, 2013 at the Toronto Pro Super Show. I will be showing her support as I’ve done in the past and training next to her with her weight-training program that has been set in place, as well as the cardio. Of course I don’t need to do all this but this is why we have such a strong relationship.

My diet leading up to my show last weekend, I was sitting at approximately 1500 calories with a Fat Load that begun on the Thursday prior. I may add, there is nothing I would of changed with my last program set by my trainer. We rocked it! I will be working on my own diet until 16 weeks out from desired competition in the Spring of 2014 and then it’ll be back in the hands of Aaron Giberson. I will be sitting at approximately 3,363 calories for 2-3 weeks and I’ll make changes where I see necessary. Of course once Summer is over, I’ll be cranking these calories up a boat load! I plan on keeping my body fat below 10%. Here is my diet below:

Note: I designed this when I was sitting at 184LBs. Again, I will be tweaking this in 2-3 weeks where I see necessary.

Target Protein: 184 grams – 276 grams
    Target Fat: 92 grams

MEAL #1 - Calories 492
    4 Large Whole Eggs, 4 Egg Whites, 2 Slice Ezekiel 4:9 Bread
    ~ 42 grams Protein / 21 grams Fat /30 grams Carbohydrates

MEAL #2 - Calories 632
    175 g Chicken Breast, 1 cup Jasmine Rice, 3/4 cup Green Beans, 1 tbsp Udo's Oil™ 3-6-9-Blend
    ~ 54.55 grams Protein / 16.59 grams Fat / 59 grams Carbohydrates

MEAL #3 - Calories 632
    175 g Chicken Breast, 1 cup Jasmine Rice, 3/4 cup Green Beans, 1 tbsp Udo's Oil™ 3-6-9-Blend

MEAL #4 - Calories 632

MEAL #5 - Calories 605
    175 g Tilapia, Green Salad Unlimited, 1/2 medium Avocado (75 g), 1cup Jasmine Rice, 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    ~ 42.14 grams Protein / 16.48 grams Fat / 61 grams Carbohydrates

Post Workout Shake - Calories 370
    1 scoop ISO-SMOOTH™, 250 ml of Coconut Dream™ (unsweetened), 1 cup (140 g) frozen
    Raspberries OR 3/4 cup frozen Mixed Berries, with 1/2 medium Banana (112 g)
    ~ 33.93 grams Protein / 6.87 grams Fat / 46.7 grams Carbohydrates

Nutritional Facts:
    Total Calories: 3363
    Total Protein: 281.72 grams
    Total Fat: 94.12 grams
    Total Carbohydrates: 314.7 grams

Macro Breakdown: 34% Protein / 37% Carbohydrates / 29% Fat

Supplements:
    www.BlueStarNutraceuticals.com
    OMEGA BLUE™ take 3 softgels twice daily with Meal #1 and Meal #5 (not incl. in Nutritional Facts above).
    VITALITY™ for ACTIVE MEN take 2 capsules twice daily with Meal #1 and Meal #5
    PURBLUE™ Creatine Monohydrate

I will be listing my training program shortly and will be commencing with this log next week.

Enjoy.

I think you have a great look for Classic bodybuilding. With a few more pounds of muscle and that condition you can bring you'll be tough to beat. In for the ride sir!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cobe16 View Post
    I think you have a great look for Classic bodybuilding. With a few more pounds of muscle and that condition you can bring you'll be tough to beat. In for the ride sir!!
    Thanks Cobe, it's going to be fun. The one major thing I learned this past weekend is that it's not about the other person or the hardware. It's about bettering yourself, bringing your best package possible, and learning who you are. What ever happens, happens... but it's all about you (us). Winston Roberts who is one of the veterans in the OPA (Ontario Physique Association) even said, "What are you doing here? Go into Men's Classic Bodybuilding." Well... okay. Lets do this!

I really like the classic division. Its pretty popular here in NB.

After your wife's done nats what kind of training do you think you'll do offseason?

RX MEMBER

My wife is a registered dietician and this has worked for me I never eat more than 27 Grams of protein a sitting as it is not absorbed. Enhanced you can go up. Something you never here on a bb board I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobe16 View Post
    I really like the classic division. Its pretty popular here in NB.

After your wife's done nats what kind of training do you think you'll do offseason?
    She'll just be re-qualifying for the Nationals. Her and I spoke about this the other day, as well as with Eric DiLauro. Since she is not gifted with a good metabolism, she is on Levothyroxine at 0.5mg before bed. We need to be careful for this. Right now Cobe's, she is giving it her all and going for the Overall. Regardless of Overall or Top 5, we will take the time off to heal and go hard for the Nationals next year. Have to remember too, we have 4 daughters so this is a balancing act. 3 hers, 1 mine. There will be absolutely no off-season though, all meals and / or the occasional beverage will be counted for.

As for type of training, I enjoyed the training I was doing as it never got stagnant and I was able to get stronger. I may throw in some full body from time to time, or I may try something different. Do you have any suggestions for me?

You'll see my training for the next 5-6 weeks. Lots of sets and lots of reps! It's a nice change as it's about 60%-80% exertion and nothing to failure. Holy hell though man, I have never sweat like this! LOL!

Yes, thanks for sharing.

Monday, April 22
    Morning Weight: 196 (Still retaining plenty of water from rebound post competition. In a couple of weeks once my body resides, I'll be making changes to diet where needed.)

Quads/Glutes/Abs

Seated Hamstring Curl (4 sets x 20) Warm Ups
    120LBs
    120LBs
    120LBs
    120LBs

Single Leg Press High Foot Position (3 sets x 30 ea Leg)
    110LBs
    110LBs
    135LBs
    SS with...
    Straight Leg Deadlifts (3 sets x 20)
    50LBs DBs each side
    50LBs DBs each side
    50LBs DBs each side

Reverse Hack Squat (3 sets x 20)
    180LBs
    270LBs
    360LBs
    SS with...
    Walking Lunges (50 yards) (25LBs plate held over head)

Single Leg Extension (3 sets x 20)
    40LBs
    60LBs
    65LBs
    SS with...
    Step ups on bench or box (3 sets x 20 ea Leg

Leg Press (alternate weekly with single leg) (3 sets x 30) ***Single Leg Today!***
    90LBs
    90LBs
    90LBs
    SS with...
    Sumo Squat (3 sets x 30)
    40LBs DBs
    40LBs DBs
    40LBs DBs

Smith Machine Squat (alternate weekly with free squats) (3 sets x 20) ***Free Squats Today!***

Hanging Abdominal Raise (3 sets x 30)
    Crunch's on Core Ball (3 sets x 30)

***Very late night last night, so this Ab work will be added to Shoulders this evening.***

I'm still nursing the Hamstring and although it feels good and I want to start driving the weights, I'm still just a little hesitant!

Quote Originally Posted by Gym God View Post
    Do you have any suggestions for me?
    Considering your ham/shoulder injuries I would just do whatever dosen't hurt you, and you "feel" the most.

Updated Diet Change. Once my body comes back to a balance after a 23-25 bounce back in 7 days, I'll make changes once again on my diet. Retaining water like a water balloon. LOL!

Target Protein: 194 grams – 291 grams
    Target Fat: 97 grams

MEAL #1 - Calories 492
    4 Large Whole Eggs, 4 Egg Whites, 2 Slice Ezekiel 4:9 Bread
    ~ 42 grams Protein / 21 grams Fat /30 grams Carbohydrates

MEAL #2 - Calories 632
    ~ 54.55 grams Protein / 16.59 grams Fat / 59 grams Carbohydrates / 5 grams Fiber

MEAL #3 - Calories 485
    1 can Tuna, 1 cup Jasmine Rice, 3/4 cup Green Beans, 3 tbsp Hemp Hearts
    ~ 45.15 grams Protein / 13.5 grams Fat / 62 grams Carbohydrates / 8 grams Fiber

MEAL #4 - Calories 632
    ~ 54.55 grams Protein / 16.59 grams Fat / 59 grams Carbohydrates / 5 grams Fiber

MEAL #5 - Calories 605
    10 Egg Whites, Green Salad Unlimited, 1/2 medium Avocado (75 g), 1cup Jasmine Rice, 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
    ~ 42.14 grams Protein / 13.5 grams Fat / 61 grams Carbohydrates / 10 grams Fiber

Protein Shake - Calories 370
    1 scoop ISO-SMOOTH™, 250 ml of Coconut Dream™ (unsweetened), 1 cup (140 g) frozen
    Raspberries OR 3/4 cup frozen Mixed Berries, with 1/2 medium Banana (112 g)
    ~ 33.93 grams Protein / 6.87 grams Fat / 46.7 grams Carbohydrates

Nutritional Facts:
    Total Calories: 3216
    Total Protein: 272.32 grams
    Total Fat: 88.05 grams
    Total Carbohydrates: 317.7 grams
    Total Fiber: 40.4 grams

Macro Breakdown: 34% Protein / 40% Carbohydrates / 26% Fat

Supplements:
    www.BlueStarNutraceuticals.com
    OMEGA BLUE™ take 3 softgels twice daily with Meal #1 and Meal #5 (not incl. in Nutritional Facts above)
    VITALITY™ for ACTIVE MEN take 2 capsules twice daily with Meal #1 and Meal #5
    ISO-SMOOTH™ Vanilla Dream
    LEUCINE take 5 grams twice daily with Meal #1 and with Protein Shake

Bedtime when needed: 2 grams of GABA, 3 mg of Melatonin, 50 mg 5-HTP, 50 mg B-Complex, 600 mg Ester-C

I love the set up and detail! I am a HUGE fan of Udo's Oil. IMO perhaps the best fat on the planet. BTW - I have spent a lot of time looking over woman's physique pics from the LA and Orlando IFBB shows to help my wife (taking over her prep for the last 5 weeks before NY. Could be "sofa city" for me, lol) and I drifted over to the Men's Physique pics....Those guys were pretty damn big! Based on how guys were placed there I am surprised you did not place higher....Funny how the judging criteria changes from show to show. The girls who placed high in pyhsique were friggin' HUGE! They could have done bodybuilding.

Jumping from 1500 to 3000 will do that to you with holding water, have you considered slowly adding back in calories instead of jumping 1500+ Chris?

Welcome to the dark side of bodybuilding knew you would get there.
    2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Jumping from 1500 to 3000 will do that to you with holding water, have you considered slowly adding back in calories instead of jumping 1500+ Chris?

Welcome to the dark side of bodybuilding knew you would get there.
    Bob, in 24 hours my weight has already begun to drop since I put myself back on diet yesterday. My calories were through the roof all last week and finishing on Sunday... big time! I will be monitoring this daily. It's a darn ritual now to step on that scale in the AM... thankfully I enjoy the scale. It was before leading to my show and it's been the same ever since. I'm familiar with the pro's and cons. I've been in this industry for quite some time and now it's even more fun with experimenting on myself.

PS... on Sunday night I took my daughter home and we stopped at McDonald's for an Oreo McFlurry. She has a snack size and I had the regular... with added nuts and fudge. We decided to take the highway home and I said, "Sofia, Tati wants another one." We stopped for another... just me of course. After I dropped her off, I went to the corner store for 2 Hagen Daz. I finally got rid of my cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme One View Post
    I love the set up and detail! I am a HUGE fan of Udo's Oil. IMO perhaps the best fat on the planet. BTW - I have spent a lot of time looking over woman's physique pics from the LA and Orlando IFBB shows to help my wife (taking over her prep for the last 5 weeks before NY. Could be "sofa city" for me, lol) and I drifted over to the Men's Physique pics....Those guys were pretty damn big! Based on how guys were placed there I am surprised you did not place higher....Funny how the judging criteria changes from show to show. The girls who placed high in pyhsique were friggin' HUGE! They could have done bodybuilding.
    Yes, Udo's is great stuff. It's always been big in Canada as it's originally from the West Coast.

They're still trying to figure it out. The new generation of Men's Physique I'm seeing are big beach bum looking guys. Full... but not hard... no vascularity... but rounded. The guys look great but I want to be challenged. I want to push myself further all the time. Regardless of what ever sport it may be, family, or career... I need to push for a personal best.

My wife 6 weeks out is tighter in the abdomen right now than what she was for her first show last year, and probably just as tight when she did the Nationals this year. We're going to tear her part and then rest for next year. Enjoy family time... and NO off-season this year. Everything we do will be counted going into next year in order to make the prep that much easier.

That's cool that you're taking over her prep for the last 5 weeks. It makes relationships a lot easier when two people are so like mined when it comes to training, and competing!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast