Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach Review

RX MEMBER

Default Coach Review

With so many online coaching services available, I wanted to start a thread for people to share their experiences and help identify which coach is right for them.

I've been consistently lifting for 10 years (natural), am 6'3, 202 @ 7% bf.

Have tried two coaches in the past 2 years

Coach: Layne Norton (www.biolayne.com)

Cost: $1000 for 12 weeks (think prices have increased since)

Pros: Knowledgeable guy who 'walks the walk'
    No nonsense approach to training, will back his methods with facts

Cons:

Didn't feel like he was that involved in helping me reach my goals (ie didn't immediately highlight areas that needed improvement until prompted; training program was reviewed only once during the process)

Victim of his own success. Building from the point above, I think he would be awesome if you had his full attention, but the guy is clearly very busy / unable to dedicate as much time as I would've like to my coaching

Overall, I felt the cost wasn't justified. If you do a bit of homework and research his stuff online, you'll get 90% of the info/service that you would as a client.

Score: 3/5

Coach: Luke Leaman (www.upfitnes.co.uk)
    Cost: $600 for 12 weeks

Pros: Knowledgeable guy (studied under Poliquin), with real world experience (MPD, Strongman, Powerlifting)

High level of attention; you get the feel that training programs are customised with the trainee's goals, injuries etc in mind. Often reviewed (typically every 3 weeks) to ensure constant progress

Reasonable cost

Cons: Coach has a full time job and so can go silent for a week or two every now and again. This could be an issue for someone who's prepping and needs very regular contact

Score: 4/5

CHRIS ACETO'S OFFICIAL CHEERLEADER! GDavis's Avatar

Great post. Would like to see others post reviews. By any chance is your name Luke? haha I would like to hear from others, this thread could be epic

John Meadows

5/5

Makes you feel like his only client and always quick to get in touch. I however have only been with him for training and not nutrition. He has mutton chops too.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baldwin View Post
    John Meadows...5/5...He has mutton chops too.
    I'm assuming that is going into his pro's category
    "If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." - Joe Rogan

mountaindogdiet.com mountaindog1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Baldwin View Post
    John Meadows

5/5

Makes you feel like his only client and always quick to get in touch. I however have only been with him for training and not nutrition. He has mutton chops too.
    The chops....ah yea!!

RX MEMBER

, praise should be given when due! Joined the forums to start this thread; it's difficult knowing which coach is worth their fees and there's very little independent reviews out there.

Would like to know if anyone has tried G force, Kash Guidry?

Happy to answer any questions you guys may have re the above coaches?

#1 Rx Muscle "Trader Joe's Employee" lksurf2's Avatar

The Strength Guys (TSG) http://www.thestrengthguys.com/services/
    Using both Nutrition and Training Programs.

Started with Nutrition only with Austin Stout in October. Responds to any questions or input I have quickly and really puts the time into figuring out what works for you. He does full on meal by meals or daily macros for off season and contest prep. All around great guy who cares about his clients and would recommend to anyone looking for a coach. 5/5

Started doing the Training program Feb this year.
    Great training programs. Prices are very affordable for the programs. They do Monthly, 4 month, 6-month and yearly. Training Packages include diet coach as well.

Since I was not sure I signed on for 4 month plan and every 4 weeks its a different and more difficult program. They are not cookie cutter programs either. Each one is different for each client and what they are training for or what they are trying to improve on. Since staring the training with them I have probably seen the most improvement than I ever have since I started lifting years ago.

My only neg towards it is response time from training coach if I have questions concerning the workouts. Usually have to wait a day or more before a response.

Overall 4/5. Love the programs they design for me and will continue with them as ling as I can afford it.

RX MEMBER

Thanks for the info lksurf2! Know about these guys, they seem very data/science focused (with perhaps less 'time in the trenches' experience?

If you can, mention what your goal was when starting the program and what your results were

#1 Rx Muscle "Trader Joe's Employee" lksurf2's Avatar

increase strength and overall add size to my frame. I was dieting when I started with them but past few weeks having been moving back into a gaining phase and started to see the biggest jumps in strength on the big 3 movements.
    I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller.

ummmmm Shelby Starnes maybe??? Maybe I'm biased I dunno... But in a little over 4 years he has helped me put on 40+ lbs of stage weight moving from a light heavy to a super heavy as well as capturing two class wins and an overall at my state show.

I'm not even gonna get into prices... sometimes you get what you pay for other times you don't. Look at track records.....and not just top guys or pros. look at how many average or normal people that turn into figure, physique or bbers. And most of them end up capturing class wins, overalls and even pro cards.

Shelby posts pretty much all of his clients pics and results here, MD and on his FB page. Not just winners but even the ones that finish out of top 3 and even top 5. One thing you will not be able to find is a client of shelby's who does not come in peeled and well conditioned. It doesn't happen.

You guys have to remember only a few coaches truly do nutrition for a living. Shelby is one of them... His only source of income is nutritional plans. He lives behind his PC.... if not.. he is at gym or grocery store, LOL but very true. You never have to wait or worry when you will get a response from him.... his communication is top notch ansd 2nd to none.

In 5 years I have worked with three coaches...., two of them are THE top level coaches and the other is Shelby. I didn't get the attention I deserved or the personalized approach I was hoping with the other two. I always though there is always someone better. But for half the price I paid the other two... I got better communication, personalized nutrition and adjustments and a coach who actuallu cared.

I could go on forever but just do your research, talk to current and former clients and go from there.

I started working with Matt Porter 17 weeks ago for my first contest prep...show is next week.

I have nothing but good things to say about him really...always responds to emails, texts, fb message within a very reasonable amount of time and the way that he sends out the weekly plans are very concise and well organized. It's the final week now and Matt's speciality is getting guys DRY up there so with the plan we have hopefully I'll look ok. Again I definitely recommend him for anyone looking for a coach that really puts effort into each client.

I'll throw up some pics from the start of prep through these last couple weeks in a bit..gotta go to the gym now lol.

I've been working with Matt Porter for over a year now. He's been a good friend of mine for a while and I was tired of not reaching my full potential so I got with him in March of 2012 for the Oregon State and Washington State. the picture below is what I looked like when I started my prep with him at 225lbs the second was taken 2 weeks out from the Oregon ironman this year weighing 196lbs where I took second to the guy who went on to take the over all. Last year at the Washington state Matt helped me get my first open class win. so needless to say Matt is stuck with me for a long time. plans are for me to do one more show this year then hit the emerald cup and USA's next year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moosj300; 06-02-2013 at 06:22 PM.

RX MEMBER

This Review is of Matt Porter - I've only been in this sport for a short amount of time... not quite 3 years now. When I got with Matt I only had 12 weeks to get ready for my very first show. Prior to working with him I thought I kinda knew what this was all about... yeah right !! His knowledge blows me away, knowing what this and that will do but if you do them together... its crazy what he comes up with lol. I'm now 49 years old... was 48 when I started working with him... He has been able to change my not only my body but also given me knowledge to at least try and understand what and why he is doing what he is doing. Seems my enter button won't work so this is going to be all 1 paragraph LOL. Anyway.. at my 1st show ever and only 12 weeks with Matt I won the Novice class, took 2nd in Masters ( I weighed in at 165.9 - the winner weighed 236) and I took 2nd in Open Middleweights. We had talked about doing the Masters Nationals this year but decided that I needed another year to make some more improvements and compete next year in the 50 year old Middleweight class and see how we do. He brought me in dry, hard and full... even had striated glutes for a 48 year old... was happy with that Here are a couple comparison pics of where I was and what I looked like at the show. We are 2 weeks away from my 16 week prep for a show in October. If you want to follow along and see what Matt can do ... check out my TL Fitness page on Facebook and I also have a YouTube Channel under TL Fitness with some videos Get with Matt... He will take care of you !! Can't wait to see how we do on the 2nd go round for a show !!
    Attached Images Attached Images

RX MEMBER

Thanks guys, this is very helpful. If you can try and use the same format (costs, pros / cons...) so newcomer to the thread can have quick / consistent overview.

hopefully this thread will help people make informed decisions and save time&money!

I've worked with Matt Porter since November 2012 and have nothing but the greatest respect for him. This is a coach who truly cares about his client.

Coach: Matt Porter

Pros:
    1. Matt is extremely detail-oriented, and he expects his clients to provide him with their personal details in order for him to make one successful. That in itself says a lot about a person because I don't think anyone can make a person successful without knowing specific details.
    1. He does his fact-finding before you even pay him a dime. Fact finding includes:
    a. An analysis of your current diet (yes, one should know what they're consuming during the week).
    b. An analysis of your training log.
    c. An analysis of current pics.
    d. He has you complete a questionnaire that includes very detailed and specific questions. Questions will range from the types of foods you love/hate, times of day you train, occupation, etc.
    2. He presents you with a summary of his findings, which includes recommendations on the diet, training, etc.
    3. You hire him at this point because you know he really is there for you, he's already uncovered so much about you.
    4. He holds you accountable and requires you to send him a weekly update (questionnaire), training log and updated pics. I live in California, Matt lives in Oregon -- the virtual training works great for me.
    5. I send him my updates on Sunday afternoon. By Sunday evening, I have his comments along with one or both of the following:
    a. Updated menu (Matt takes the time to detail what you are to eat at each meal. It's not simple macros, it's actual meal planning outlining what you will consume at each meal and the number of ounces. Additionally, Matt takes into consideration my occupation and what macros are necessary for me to continue to be successful at work);
    b. Training changes (he really evaluates your pics, and makes suggestions in your training to work on deficient areas). He will also adjust any cardio each week depending on what he sees in the pics. Early in our relationship, he actually took the time to provide me with a leg training and back training routine. He understood I came from powerlifting and worked with me on this transition by showing me through a written training routine the changes I needed to make.
    6. Matt is very responsive. Personally, I don't think he ever sleeps. I can always catch him online or via text. No question is a stupid question to Matt, and he will take the time to provide a detailed answer.
    7. As already mentioned, I came from years of Powerlifting, and bodybuilding is relatively new for me. Matt knows I like to do compound movements yet has really taken the time to teach me volume training, and now "feel" training. His methods have really put size on the areas in which I needed.

I competed in the Emerald Cup this past May 2013 and not only won my division but won the Masters overall. I would never have accomplished such a feat if it wasn't for Matt. I'm now preparing for the Dallas Europa in August and, of course, have Matt helping me all the way. Again, Matt has taken into consideration how trashed my body would be after doing the ECup, the recovery involved and how I should eat/train in this small window.

Cons: None.

Price: Irrelevant.

Score: 5/5

Recommend Matt to Others: Definitely.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast