Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy View Post
    Remember the scale isn't everything! Is your body changing? After competing a bit your metabolism changes....it was always harder for me to lose weight each show...

Have you changed up your cardio?
    Hi Gail!
    I've upped the intensity of my cardio... 1min jump rope intervals between 5min biking 3x per week. 3x per week I do 45min Steady State on the cross trainer.
    Would love to do some fun HIIT on the treadmill but I have a bummed glute-ham injury that's super cranky for running and sprinting.
    Does that sound ok??

Quote Originally Posted by Andrealyn75 View Post
    Hi ya! I can understand your frustration. What's the intensity like during your weight training workouts? I'd try some HIIT, Tabata cardio as well. Hang in there, I'll be following you along.
    My leg training days are a no weight exercise (about 20reps) supersetted with 20reps of a plyo, so high intensity.
    Low intensity and going heavy and hard on upper body days (I'm very lower bottom heavy!)
    Thanks for the following! I'll take any input and encouragement at this point for sure so I appreciate it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Mike" View Post
    yup in the KW area
    AWESOME! I'll keep you posted then!

I'm at 1600 cals and 45min of cardio per day, 6 days per week, and having a VERY hard time losing!? Starting to think that's too many cals...
    Yikes! I saw this on Nic's thread. If you cut your calories TOO LOW your body will not respond with corresponding weight loss. In fact it may shut down as if in "starvation mode!" If nothing else your body needs fuel to burn fuel. Are you on Sioux Country? There are some great posts by Layne Norton discussing what you are experiencing in your prep. Check it & him out on Youtube. The info he provides may be of help. Peace!
    Last edited by curvygirl; 07-16-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by curvygirl View Post
    Yikes! I saw this on Nic's thread. If you cut your calories TOO LOW your body will not respond with corresponding weight loss. In fact it may shut down as if in "starvation mode!" If nothing else your body needs fuel to burn fuel. Are you on Sioux Country? There are some great posts by Layne Norton discussing what you are experiencing in your prep. Check it & him out on Youtube. The info he provides may be of help. Peace!
    I was afraid of someone bringing this up... I am concerned about metabolic damage as I've tried to diet two previous times for a show and I just never seem to be able to get below 150.... or to get there, I feel like I'm taking EXTREMESSSSS..... I've NEVER done a comp prep with less than 1300 cals, and I've never done more than 1hour of cardio, 6 days per week in a prep, so I didn't think my metabolism would be damaged at all... these girls with damage are on less than 1000 cals and doing 2-3 hours of cardio a day, no?
    But I will pop over to Sioux and check out Layne's stuff. Do you have a link to this thread?

12.5 weeks out

Well, we've been hit with a crazy heat wave in the good old North. No, I don't live in an igloo and no, I don't have a pet polar bear (legit questions I've been asked by Southerners about my Ontario residence lol). We do, in fact, have a "SUMMER" in Ontario from about June-September and it can get pretty toasty warm!

It's been 31-35 this entire week, but it feels more like 45degrees (that's 88 to 95, feels like 114). The heat is great for nixing the appetite but man, does it make you feel lazy, lethargic and just plain ANGRY! I hope it begins cooling down over the next few days.

My weight was 153.0 this morning which I'm trying not to stress about. Yes, it's up, but all my measurements are down and I see some great changes in my physique. My muscles are rounder, fuller, and I look tighter, so I'm not going to get hung up on the scale.

[Side note: I've re-signed with Team Bombshell. I trained with them for 2 bikini shows in 2011 and really like the workouts, nutrition and results, so I've decided to go back with them, this time training for Figure. I was second-guessing my own training and nutrition WAYYYY too much. Time to take the guesswork out and just do as I'm told!]

Back and bis are done for today. Got them in before sunrise and now just some cardio to hit tonight. Actually looking forward to it as the gym I cardio at has REALLY COLD A/C!!!! haha. Ahhh, to celebrate the small things that make you happy in prep

Time for supper.... BEEF! Mmmmm...red meat........ *drool*
    Last edited by fitLauraC; 07-17-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fitLauraC View Post
    I was afraid of someone bringing this up... I am concerned about metabolic damage as I've tried to diet two previous times for a show and I just never seem to be able to get below 150.... or to get there, I feel like I'm taking EXTREMESSSSS..... I've NEVER done a comp prep with less than 1300 cals, and I've never done more than 1hour of cardio, 6 days per week in a prep, so I didn't think my metabolism would be damaged at all... these girls with damage are on less than 1000 cals and doing 2-3 hours of cardio a day, no?
    But I will pop over to Sioux and check out Layne's stuff. Do you have a link to this thread?
    Here is the link to Layne's vlogs http://www.biolayne.com/category/contest-prep/ DEFINITELY worth the watch.

I think there are SERIOUS concerns about MD and rightfully so, in this sport we are too often willing to risk our health chasing the ideal, but I also think that there is a lot of over reaction that if you do a hot second too much cardio that you will ruin your metabolism. Again, it comes down to balance and listening to your body. If it's not responding, especially the way it has in the past, then IMO it's trying to tell you something.

I'm glad to see that these weight fluctuations are a normal part of prep. But you are so true that we need to focus on the changes we see in our body and most of all listen to our bodies. It seems to me there is no one right way, or cookie cutter approach we all are different and it takes a different plan for each of us to be successful. You have desire, drive and brains! You WILL make it happen. Stay strong!!

My apologies for not checking in lately!

Things are still moving along. I'll be 11 weeks out tomorrow.

After looking in to Layne Norton (thank you for suggesting this!) I revamped my diet COMPLETELYYYYYY and I've UNSTUCK myself from 152.0 because of it!!! What a RELIEF!

My carbs are up around 160-170g on workout days, while on nonworkout days I drop them to 75-85g. Protein on workout days is 185g and on nonworkout days, 210g. Fats are VERY low (which is the complete opposite of what I HAD been doing with my high fat, low carb diet plan previously). Fats are about 30g on workout days and 60-70g on nonworkout days.

I'm consistently dropping every morning with the new revisions. It's phenomenal. I FEEL great too!!

I'm doing an INTRA workout protein shake + dextrose for the first time in my life as well. Phenomenal. Why have I never experimented with periworkout nutrition!?!?!?!

Training is going well... weights 5days per week for 45min-1hour max. Cardio is cut way down to 3 sessions of 35min HIIT fasted in the morning. Sundays I do a 1 hour long walk for recovery and mental time-out time

I'm looking at some new teams to train with as referred by Layne Norton. I'm still researching but I'll let you guys all know when I decide on one that I feel good about. I really like training myself but I often question myself when it comes to the workouts so I'll probably end up hiring someone to design my lifts, but I'll continue with my own nutrition and cardio regimen. (Which may sound CRAZY to you guys, I know, but I LOVE designing and experimenting with myself! I'll be able to 'trial' my new team with the training program and then if I like them, I'll sign on full-force).

That's the update for today! Hope everyone has a wonderful wknd!!! L.

What a fantastic update! I'm so glad to hear you've taken all the information Layne puts out there and are utilizing it to your benefit. With so much out there, it can get overwhelming, I'm glad you're making HEALTHY progress and you're in a good place! Keep it up

Sounds like you are making awesome progress. Just the motivation you needed I'm sure! Stay focused and make it happen!!!

Hey lady, how's it going? Hope your training and diet are going well. Have a great weekend!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12