Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Dead Pool- I want more info! Step up IFBB!

I'm not going to be politically correct because it's time for someone to start asking questions. Helloooo IFBB? Where are you? Where are the Dave Palumbo's of the world, the Bob C's, Flex Wheeler, Hany, Chris Aceto, and the other big names in the sport demanding answers and asking questions?

Or can they and we finally openly admit we don't ask questions because this is a bullsh*t sport and we don't care?

What am I getting at?

When an NFL player dies literally 30 seconds after the death there are 101 questions on how football and the NFL are related (or responsible), how they could have helped or stopped the deteriorating health of the athletes etc.

Why aren't we doing that?

I just hung up with a friend of mine...an IFBB pro who is retired (and won many shows and was a top olympia competitor) and we spoke for about an hour here is what we talked about:

1. a few athletes are considering and have discussed legal action related to some health situations and the IFBB. He would not elaborate...but indicated it's no joke. He firmly believes even with steroid use the IFBB could vastly improve the health of these athletes.

2. he feels it is abundantly clear the IFBB has no concern with the health of these guys and it's time for the IFBB to step it up.

3. Time to start recreational drug testing these guys. An important point he did make was "sure steroids are talked about but when you watch a pro contest most of these guys are abusing pain pills and other narcotics."

4. he feels these guru's play a part. If they are going to advise these guys on everything shy of how many times to wipe their butts it's time for them to also demand answers and be a "loud voice" as he put it when these guys die.

Many will say...these guys know the risks...that is true to an extent. ALL sports have risk at the pro level. But they should be controlled, monitored, and investigated, and not just said "f*ck it" to.

And when people do die why is it such a big secret? Why is it "oh hush hush don't be disrespectful we can't talk about how he died" Why? let's talk about it. In every sport when a player dies immediate speculation starts if there is even a remote possibility it could be related to the sport.

Does anybody else find it unacceptable so many of these guys die too young, nobody investigates it, nobody asks questions, and the IFBB acts like it never happened.

end rant/

part of a Q and A with Mike Matarazzo

We have some guys claiming steroids aren’t dangerous if used properly, while others will say using them is like playing Russian Roulette. Do you personally feel that steroids were a major factor in what happened to you?

Mike M.: I know it was the drugs that caused this to happen to me and I don’t give a shit what anyone says. All these gurus and self-proclaimed steroid experts that try to downplay the risks are just talking out of their ass. They have no idea what will happen to people. Nobody in my family ever had heart problems. It was the steroids I took for years. Anytime you put a powerful artificial drug in your body you are taking a chance. Most guys think nothing bad will ever happen to them. But you watch – you will be seeing more and more serious heart problems and worse once these guys hit forty.

he talks more about the pressure of getting bigger and bigger. That he doesn't think if the IFBB and the "guru's" pushed the 300 pound freak look he may still be very healthy. It was the insane drugs but also having to force feed tons of sh*t food to put on weight and the general mentality pushed by the ifbb and guru's.

he does take responsibility ultimately but he feels if a different look was promoted and health was a prime concern things like this could be avoided.

Last edited by Flex500; 07-06-2013 at 09:20 PM.

other recent deaths:

Luke Wood age 35

Art Atwood age 39

Matt Duval age 41

You make it sound like athletes in their prime are dropping left and right like flies. Its actually a small percentage of the overall number of athletes there are and have been. Most people don't ask tons of questions because in most cases its pretty clear why they died.
    A big difference between say the NFL and IFBB is you are payed to play for the NFL and you pay to participate in the IFBB. You are an employee of the NFL but more of an independent contract for the IFBB so you have to provide for your own insurance and benefits. With that, the athletes are a lot more free to do what they want. We don't need another organization on top of the government telling us what we can and can't do with our own bodies.

People have to realize you need to be personally responsible for yourself. If you take the risk of doing something potentially unsafe or illegal you have to realize you are ultimately the one who will face any potential consequences. The arguement is valid, no one is forcing you to be a bodybuilder or take things harmful to yourself. You are always the one in control. The way the IFBB is currently set up I don't see any reason why they should be held responsible for the athletes health. The IFBB has its guidelines for them to follow. It's there choice on how they decide to go about being an athlete. The IFBB is a business and as such its objective is to make money and its is not going to spend its time and money when its doesn't have to especially on things its really not responsible for.
    Last edited by JAM; 07-06-2013 at 09:40 PM.
    "If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." - Joe Rogan

I get it that makes sense no matter the sport certainly there is a huge element of personal responsibility. That being said you don't think the IFBB has any responsiblity? They shouldn't be answering any questions?

Also "dropping like flies" is all relative....

1. it's not just deaths...just like in the NFL...too many are dying but it's not just about the dead. It's about those who have ruined health and/or are disabled. The dead are only part of the equation...same in bodybuilding.

2. 3-4 pro's or former pro's under 40 to 45 dying per year is "dropping like flies" to many

I'm not saying the IFBB should be turned upside down and the olympia cancelled. I'm saying why don't we ask questions? Why don't we look into how these guys die and try to help these guys stay healthy? People get chastised for even wanting to talk about it.

The one part I am not 100% sure on is the IFBB as an organization compared to say the MLB or NFL. I don't fully understand that dynamic. But as the one and only official pro organization that is in 100% control of who is or is not a pro bodybuilder I would think they should be in somehow, someway involved in at least encouraging or monitoring the health of these guys.

Ed Van A. age 40

All I'm saying is think if the below happened....

1. recreational drug tests/random testing

2. absolute outlaw of diuretics...you take em 1 year ban, then banned for life

3. Must pass have AND pass physical exam each year...you don't pass a physical you don't compete.

4. Overall general "attitude" of the ifbb towards better health practices. An organization pushing towards an awareness of health...a culture of promoting a safe sport

5. full on investigations and reporting of the deaths at least as much as possible

I mean...what if it just started there?

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    You make it sound like athletes in their prime are dropping left and right like flies. Its actually a small percentage of the overall number of athletes there are and have been. Most people don't ask tons of questions because in most cases its pretty clear why they died.
    A big difference between say the NFL and IFBB is you are payed to play for the NFL and you pay to participate in the IFBB. You are an employee of the NFL but more of an independent contract for the IFBB so you have to provide for your own insurance and benefits. With that, the athletes are a lot more free to do what they want. We don't need another organization on top of the government telling us what we can and can't do with our own bodies.

People have to realize you need to be personally responsible for yourself. If you take the risk of doing something potentially unsafe or illegal you have to realize you are ultimately the one who will face any potential consequences. The arguement is valid, no one is forcing you to be a bodybuilder or take things harmful to yourself. You are always the one in control. The way the IFBB is currently set up I don't see any reason why they should be held responsible for the athletes health. The IFBB has its guidelines for them to follow. It's there choice on how they decide to go about being an athlete. The IFBB is a business and as such its objective is to make money and its is not going to spend its time and money when its doesn't have to especially on things its really not responsible for.
    Ahmen brother!!
    MY MIND & BODY ARE AT ONE WITH MY POWER & STRENGTH............JM

I think the fundamental difference is that organizations that employee NFL, MLB, NBA, etc... employee their athletes and are then subject to employment laws and standards and practices (I'm not expert but that pops out to me). They have an incentive then to mandate certain health standards especially to prevent athletes being hurt.
    People in bodybuilding having health issues and dying is no doubt sad. But the way it is currently set up its not the IFBB's responsibility to mandate those things. Also, and history has shown this, its not very effective and it's detrimental to their business when they enforce those things because it limits the athletes and their potential. Ultimately this makes fans less interested and hurts business.
    It's a good idea in theory and I don't disagree that the items you mentioned would be beneficial to the athlete. But I also see it from the business side of things as well.
    "If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe." - Joe Rogan

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

You did not mention Momo or Munzer.

Ultimately it is the athlete's responsibility.

Competitors will always beat drug tests and no one takes advice or follows recommendations, suggestions or directives.

Digital Marketing Manager, Team GAT SallyAnne's Avatar

Great posts by JAM. I agree with his point of view 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyAnne View Post
    Great posts by JAM. I agree with his point of view 100%.
    yep

When we make the decision to lead this life style, it should be a well educated one. In our society when the shit hits the fan we seem to want to blame others for the decisions that we make. I mean hell if I was a coal miner I know black lung is a possibility. In the nfl all of the old players knew concussions were probable. What I'm saying is there is a price for every choice we make.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast