Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OLYMPIAN

Most people will do this very wrong and cruch the shoulderjoint at the same time.

Bench safe not like a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by rinse View Post
    most people will do this very wrong and cruch the shoulderjoint at the same time.

Bench safe not like a moron.

absolutely correct.far too many lifting with their ego's than their brains.

IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

Default F.I.S.T. 's training thread

APS HI TECH PHARMACEUTICALS ATHLETE
    Hersuppz.com code TAMMY
    www.team-tammyfitness.com
    pushpullgrind.com code TEAM TAMMY

Dont remember where I saw this but here it is....

Bent Over Rows: The Real Back Thickener

Are you ready to get you back thick.....I mean so thick it feels like it is going to explode? Well let's get started! One of the biggest problems with not being able to develop a thick back is not the lack of genetics, but doing the wrong exercises. To many of us get stuck on the idea that isolation exercises are best. It's alright to use them as tools, but don't ever use them in place of the basic compound exercises. Perhaps one of the best exercises to thicken the back is: "The Bent Over Row." In fact, IFBB Pro Bodybuilder Porter Cottrell says, "Nothing creates the illusion of being bigger and gives you a greater advantage on stage than having a bigger thicker back, and one of the best basic compound movements for the back is the bent over barbell row."

As with most exercises, proper form is absolutely necessary to get optimal growth. The lack of good form means the wrong muscles will be stressed and at the worst....injury. Many times in the gym you will see people doing the bent over row while standing almost completely erect. Then they will even use a complete body swing to lift the weight. This kind of form is incorrect and will not lead to optimal back growth.

PROPER FORM

So what is good form you ask? Simple. Take a good stable stance with you feet about shoulder's width. Lean forward to about a 45 degree angle and bend the knees just slightly so you almost settle your abdomen onto your thighs with the hips being the center of gravity. The head and eyes should be pointed downward to help keep the back in proper position. Make sure the back is kept stable and flat by keeping that slight arch in the lumbar and the shoulders pulled back before you attempt to lift the weight off the floor. Most injuries come from the weight being lifted with the back rounded and then trying to correct the position in the middle of the lift. So get you body position right first!
    GRIP

Next comes the grip. Should it be wide of narrow? Start out by using a medium grip by grabbing the bar just a little bit wider that shoulders width . Using a grip that is too wide or too narrow only means that you will not be able to get a full contraction of your back muscles. There are however, several different hand positions or grips that we can use. We have the pronated grip (over hand), the supinated grip (underhand), and the over and under grip. Which one is best?

Pronated grip

With the pronated or over hand grip you want to pull the bar, with the elbows pointing upward, in a straight line up to just below the sternum. This is the point at which the greatest number of back muscles are activated. Where most people make a big mistake is by pulling the bar to the abdomen. This causes many of the adductors muscles of the shoulder girdle (upper back) not to be activated. Because the biceps are deactivated in this movement, you may not be able to lift quite as weight as you would with the supinated grip.

Now, if you want to decrease activation of the shoulder girdle muscles and increase lat activation use a supinated or underhand grip and pull the bar up to the abdomen in a straight line. With this grip you should be able to increase the weight you use because you are also increasing activation of the biceps.

The split or over and under grip simply means having one hand pronated and one hand supinated. This grip is more commonly used by powerlifters and will enable you to lift much more weight with out the use of lifting straps. Because the two different grips cause slightly different muscle recruitment patterns, it would be a real good idea to switch hand position every set.

Now that we know proper form and the advantages and disadvantages of the different grips, letÕs load up the bar and get started developing a much thicker back. With proper nutrition and sound training, there is no reason why you can't develop the back of a champion.

Supinated grip

Now, if you want to decrease activation of the shoulder girdle muscles and increase lat activation use a supinated or underhand grip and pull the bar up to the abdomen in a straight line. With this grip you should be able to increase the weight you use because you are also increasing activation of the biceps.

Split Grip

The split or over and under grip simply means having one hand pronated and one hand supinated. This grip is more commonly used by powerlifters and will enable you to lift much more weight with out the use of lifting straps. Because the two different grips cause slightly different muscle recruitment patterns, it would be a real good idea to switch hand position every set.

Now that we know proper form and the advantages and disadvantages of the different grips, lets load up the bar and get started developing a much thicker back. With proper nutrition and sound training, there is no reason why you can't develop the back of a champion.

Loving the info in here - keep it coming!!!
    ~Lorrie ~ Mediocrity is NOT an option! ~

Quote Originally Posted by PFEPerformance View Post
    Loving the info in here - keep it coming!!!

Thank you very much darlin.Im honored to know you're following them and found them as useful as I do.

I most certainly will.Love your avy by the way.

Default Planned/Strategic Overreaching for Gains

Planned/Strategic Overreaching for Gains

Author Unknown

I’ve been doing a lot of research on planned overreaching. The concept is to strategically over train muscle groups so that you can then back off of those muscle groups and allow the body to super compensate which will give you more growth than traditional work outs. It is essentially taking one step back to take steps forward. I’ve identified my areas that are in need of improvement before my next competition as my chest and shoulders. I feel these are very synergistic even though I usually train them on different days. I’ve found plans for overreaching on arms, legs and a little on chest but nothing I particularly liked. So I took info from all of them looked at muscle group size and decided on the format below. I will go 3 weeks of all-out effort and then 1 week of deload for 4 week cycle that could be repeated of decent results are seen. Figured I’d get some hints or tips from people on here who might done something similar in the past or just provide another training possibility to others. Let me know what you think and how you might improve it.

Monday

Bench Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    DB Incline Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Decline Bench - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Vertical Press Machine - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Leaning Cable Lateral Raise - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Reverse Pec Deck - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8

Wednesday

Bench Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    DB Incline Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Decline Bench - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Leaning Cable Lateral Raise - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Reverse Pec Deck - reps scheme: 20/15/12/8
    Barbell Front Raise - reps scheme: 3 x 15
    *I dropped one exercise from chest and added it to front (anterior) delts because the front delt is getting less work because of less chest volume

Friday

Bench Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12
    DB Incline Press - reps scheme: 20/15/12
    Decline Bench - reps scheme: 20/15/12
    Leaning Cable Lateral Raise - reps scheme: 20/15/12
    Reverse Pec Deck - reps scheme: 20/15/12
    Barbell Front Raise - reps scheme: 2 x 15
    *I dropped one set from each exercise so the volume is lower on the third day of training.

My reasoning for the sets and reps is working all rep ranges to hit both types of fibers, to allow for sufficient warm up, and dropping volume toward the end of the weeks since I should be heading for that overtraining goal. I then have 72 hours off (weekend) before I hit hard again on Monday. However on week 2 and 3 will change either exercises or order of exercises. Week 4 is the original Monday workout with lighter weights (Deload).

Default Wide grip Vs. close grip: are wide-grip barbell curls better than close-grip barbell curls?

Wide grip Vs. close grip: are wide-grip barbell curls better than close-grip barbell curls?
    Jim Stoppani, PhD

Opening Argument

Defense:

Close-grip barbell curls target the long (outer) head of the biceps, which makes up the biceps peak.

Prosecution:

Wide-grip barbell curls allow you to use more weight and stress the short (inner) head of the biceps more.

Evidence

* The biceps muscles are composed of two different heads that start from different anatomical locations in the shoulder region, but verge onto one common tendon that crosses the elbow joint. You can change the emphasis placed on either head by changing up the exercise form, such as grip width on the barbell.

* When you hold the bar with a shoulder-width grip, your arms are in what is called the anatomical position–straight down and not rotated.

* When you hold the bar with a wider-than-shoulder-width grip, your arms turn out at the shoulder joint, which is known as external rotation. The wider you go on the bar, the more external rotation you have and the more involvement you have from the inner (short) biceps head. This grip also shortens the path the barbell takes during the curl, allowing you to use slightly more weight on barbell curls.

* When you hold the bar with a narrower-than-shoulder-width grip, your arms turn in, which is known as internal rotation. The narrower your grip, the more internal rotation you have and the more involvement you have from the outer (long) head, which is important for building up the peak.

Verdict: Close Grip

Because most guys want to build their biceps peaks and the long head makes up a good proportion of the biceps mass, your best bet is to focus more on narrow-grip barbell curls–using a grasp that is about hip width or slightly closer.

Sentencing

The best way to build the balance of overall biceps mass is by frequently changing up your hand position for barbell curls between narrow grip, shoulder width and beyond shoulder width. While the narrow grip is great for focusing on the long head for better peak development, the standard shoulder-width grip hits both heads and the wide grip not only hits the short head best, but also allows you to go a bit heavier for placing greater overload on the biceps.

Reference: P. Tesch, Target Bodybuilding, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois, 1999.
    www.flexonline.com

The Stiff-Legged Deadlift

Why write a whole article on the stiff-legged deadlift you ask? Because it is one of the best ways to build the hamstrings and also to better your glute-hamstring tie in, or in laymen’s terms, where your thigh becomes your butt. Being an exercise science and knowledge fanatic I like to first approach every situation in the weight room from an anatomical and biomechanist standpoint. This can be problematic at times because I tend to over analyze things, however, it has also help me to incorporate the most proper form and some of the best techniques into my training.

In regards to the stiff legged deadlift lets first take a glance at the anatomy of body during the lift. The hamstrings are comprised of three muscles: the semitendinosus, semimembranosus, and beiceps femoris – long head. Where the hamstrings attach to bone is also important to consider when examining this lift from start to finish. The semitendinosus originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the anteromedial proximal tibia. The semimembranosus originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the posterolateral tibial condyle. The biceps femoris originates on the ischial tuberosity and inserts on the fibular head. If you notice, all three muscles have the same origin on the ischial tuberosity, or what most people identify to be their butt-bone. It is important to note that these muscles do not insert on the femur or thigh anywhere but cross over the knee and insert proximally to the knee. Having insertions on the bones of the lower leg will indicate that the calf muscles will also be involved or affected but the hamstring as will the placement or movement of the knee joint. That being said lets begin to incorporate some biomechanical properties into the scenario.

Simply bending at the hips, or essentially flexing the hips, will use the hamstrings. However, this movement will not maximize the use of the hamstrings. To produce maximum tension in the hamstring a maximum and optimal stretch must be produced. Since we already know that the calf and knee have effect on the hamstrings, this maximum stretch can be done with one simple trick, raising the toes. If the toes are elevated by simply placing a 2x4 board of some sort under the toes this will force a dorsaflexion at the ankle. By dorsaflexing at the ankle it will stretch the calves and have impact on the hamstring because of where the insertions are located for these three muscles. Another thing you must consider is the position in range of motion of the knee joint. While we do call this a stiff legged deadlift, proper form indicates the knees be locked but slightly bent. This is also relative to the insertions of the hamstring muscles. By bending the knees a better line of pull is created for the hamstrings. A better line of pull will allow the muscles to produce a more powerful contraction.

I know it is a lot to take in and makes a rather simple exercise very complex. However, this exercise is not so simple and should be taken seriously. I only went of in detail the position of the hip, knee and ankle of this movement and did not address the placement and position of the core during this exercise. This does not mean however that the position of the core and lower back is not as important. The placement of the hip, knee and ankle are important to the effectiveness of the exercise on the target muscles; however, the placement and position of the lower back and core are essential to avoid injury. The back should not be rounded in this exercise especially when being performed with heavy weight. Rounding of the back and improper upper body posture during this exercise can result in injury. The best idea for not only this exercise but all other exercises as well, is to start out light and only increase the weight when you can do so with proper form. By sacrificing form for increased weight you are putting yourself at risk for injury to the joints. This is no beginners’ exercise by any means and you know whether you should be doing it or not. If you have no idea what this article was about, I advise you to possibly get a trainer or professional to oversee and help you while performing the exercise for the first time.

Don’t be scared of the deadlift! Incorporate it into your training split if possible! You don’t have to do it everytime of course, but it is a great alternative to the seated and lying hamstring curl machines, which can get old very quickly!

The Old Man Routine

Take a ride in the Wayback Machine…

Remember back to your teens and twenties, you used to hit the weights like a madman. Your body looked good, and you felt great. That was before the pressures of work, children, marriage, and the onset of age kicked in.

Now you are in your late 30’s or beyond, out of shape, sluggish and generally feel like crap. You want to get back into the gym, but don’t know if your body can handle the hardcore programs that flood the bodybuilding forums.

The Old Man Routine is for you.

Some points to think about when beginning The Old Man Routine:

1) Reduced Training Frequency. You need not work each bodypart less than every 6-7 days. Allow time for your aging/aching/out-of-shape joints to recover.

2) Progression. It may take you longer to progress in weight than when you were young, but you must try. Attempt to increase reps and/or weight for each exercises from workout to workout. Because you have had such a long layoff, (or maybe you’ve never trained) you don’t need a fancy routine. Stick with simple progression.

3) 6 Months. Stick with this program for at least 6 months, or more if you are still regularly progressing in poundages. Then, at that time, assess your progress and newly recovered fitness level, and adjust your routine to fit your capabilities and needs.

4) No Failure. Do not train to failure. Train one rep shy of failure at most. You are out of shape, and will make very good progress in the next year. Training to failure only taxes your body unnecessarily, and increases the risk of injury.

5) Nothing Fancy. No heavy duty training. No supersets. No giant sets. No training body parts three times a week. No German volume training. No HST. No powerlifting training. Keep it simple, and get back in lifting shape. Then, when you begin to learn what your body is capable of, alter course as needed.

6) Metabolism. If you want to pack on mass as an old geiser, you must be willing to monitor your caloric intake like a hawk. Your metabolism isn’t what it used to be, and bulking up on calories may lead to rapid fat gain. I recommend purchasing a skin-fold caliper and monitoring your body composition weekly. Try to find a comfort zone, 300-500 calories above maintenance level, that will allow you to gain muscle without gaining fat.

7) Cardio. Perform 20 minutes of cardio a week. Better overall fitness will only increase your lifting and metabolism. This is a great fat-fighting aid for the aging as you attempt to gain muscle.

So, here it is:

DAY 1: PUSH

Bench Press, 4 sets x 6 reps

DB Bench Press or Incline Bench, 2 sets x 8 reps

DB or Barbell Overhead Press, 3 sets x 6-10 reps

Closegrip Bench Press, Dips, or Seated Overhead Triceps Extensions, 2 sets x 6-10 reps

DAY 2: OFF

DAY 3: PULL

Alternate (every other workout) Deadlifts (5 sets x 3 reps) with Pendlay Rows (5 sets x 6-10 reps)

T-Bar Rows, Low Pulley Rows, Pullups, or DB Rows, 3 sets x 6-10 reps

DB or Barbell Curling exercise, 3 sets x 6-15 reps

DAY 4: OFF

DAY 5: LEGS

Squats, 4 sets x 5 reps

Front Squats, 2 sets x 6 reps

Still Leg Deadlifts or Leg Curls, 3 sets x 6-12 reps

Calf exercises, 2 sets x 8-20 reps

DAY 6: OFF

DAY 7: OFF, or repeat the cycle starting with day 1.

NOTES

1) Just because this is an Old Man Routine doesn’t mean it’s easy. Ease into the exercises the first couple of months, learning your capabilities.

2) Don’t cheat. Learn proper form and use it. Save your body the wear and tear that comes from abuse.

3) Cardio and Abs can be done on off days.

4) If you need to lose a few pounds of blubber, try eating 300-500 calories less on non-weightliting days.

5) Don’t mess with these exercises. They are heavy compound movements, and work the best. Performing flyes, side laterals or cable crossovers might give you a pump, but they sure as heck won’t help your again body grow mass. Don’t fool yourself.

6) Take care of your shoulders. Any movement with the bar behind your next has the potential to take its toll on your aging body. Warm-up. And if you can’t get your arms behind the bar for squats, purchase Dave Draper’s Top Squat.

7) Wrap your knees during squats. ‘Nuff said.

8) Don’t use a weight belt except for deadlifting. Your abs will get stronger without a belt.

9) Stop whining. You are not to old to deadlift, squat and bench. These are the cornerstone lifts. You must do them. And yes, women, this is a routine for you as well.

10) See a doctor before beginning a lifting plan…blah, blah, blah, you know the drill.

11) And finally, it is a good idea to have a de-load week every 3-4 weeks. During a de-load week, use the same weight as your previous workout, but reduced the sets and reps. This will allow your body to retain its fitness level, and to recover from some of the cumulative fatigue that has built up over the previous weeks. If you performed 4 sets of 6 reps with 200 pounds in the bench press last week, de-load with 3 sets of 3-4 reps with 200 pounds.
    Last edited by F.I.S.T.; 08-07-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Default Explosive Training for Bodybuilders

Explosive Training for Bodybuilders

Scott Abel

My bodybuilding career has taken me through three decades so far. As much as training paradigms have changed in that time, one thing remains constant for me: I've always been the guy described as "unconventional." It used to puzzle me. Now I just accept that I interpret the operating principles of training and nutrition differently, and figure I must be doing something right.

Increasingly, I depart from the conventional wisdom when it comes to specificity. All of us who train people for a living know the acronym S.A.I.D. — "specific adaptations to imposed demand." In other words, train your body to do what you need it to do.

A lot of trainers today are experts in one sport or one type of training. To me, that's a limitation, not a bonus, but my opinion is in the minority right now. More and more, those highly specialized trainers are able to convince people — athletes, clients, other trainers and coaches — that training techniques and protocols need to be vastly different from one sport or activity to the next.

The specificity principle has its place — I'd never say it didn't. But I think it's being applied today with too much zeal and too little consideration for what all sports and physical activities that require strength and conditioning have in common. This is especially true in bodybuilding.

In pursuit of specificity, bodybuilders focus on single-plane, single-joint training. This creates neural confusion, since muscles aren't meant to be worked this way. Neural confusion leads to stagnant and lagging body parts. Paradoxically, this encourages bodybuilders to isolate them even more.

You can't develop a weak or unresponsive body part with the exact same training techniques that made it that way. The muscles get stronger and respond better if they're employed as part of a kinetic chain, in an explosive application. That's why I use the following workout, which I call "explosive conditioning day," with all the athletes I train — football players, hockey players, MMA fighters, and, yes, bodybuilders.

The Crossover Effect

The workout includes six biplexes, which challenge you in almost every possible way. You have to produce force and reduce it. You're expressing explosive power in your upper body as well as your lower body. You'll battle both vertical and horizontal gravitational forces. And you'll put tremendous demands on your energy system, along with your metabolism.

It's exhausting, but it's more than that. As one of my hockey players said, "This is the only workout that has ever intimidated me."

The workout adheres to the principle that power initiates from the ground, and is driven through the core. I've often described the core as the black hole of strength in bodybuilding training. A weak core limits progress, which leads to lagging body parts, which leads to an overemphasis on isolated training for those unresponsive muscles — exactly the problem that a workout focused on explosive conditioning is designed to address.

Your goal is to create a carryover effect, with residual and cumulative benefits that improve your work capacity along with your neural efficiency.

On the first three biplexes, take as little time as possible between the A and B exercises. When your breathing is almost back to normal, begin the next set. This is where you'll derive most of the benefits of the explosive-conditioning workout.

Explosive Conditioning for Athletes and Bodybuilders
    Exercise Sets Reps

1A) Dumbbell burpee snatch with push-up 4 10-12
    1B) Cable or band alternating biceps curl 4 12-15*
    2A) Total-body explosive push-up 4 10-12
    2B) Full-range-of-motion jump squat 4 15
    3A) Medicine-ball crossover push-up 4 10-12*
    3B) Alternating full-range-of-motion split jump 4 8-12*
    4A) Lat pulldown (any variation) 4 12-15
    4B) Machine rear-delt fly 4 15-20
    5A) Body-weight bench dip 4 15-20
    5B) Sit-up (any variation) 4 15-20
    6A) Dumbbell seated shoulder press 4 12-15
    6B) Back extension 4 15-20

* each arm or leg

The Exercises

Dumbbell burpee snatch with push-up

This is one of the most exhausting exercises you could ever perform. You stand holding a pair of dumbbells, lower them down to the floor, extend your legs behind you, do a push-up, bring your legs back, then set your body for the snatch, with the dumbbells just below and to the outside of your knees. Now do a snatch. That's one rep.

Cable or band alternating biceps curl

Because the first exercise in the biplex leaves you drained of power, the second exercise is relatively simple and easy. Just do alternating curls with bands or a cable machine.

Total-body explosive push-up

Now you're working against horizontal gravitational forces. You want your entire body to come off the floor on each push-up. When you get exhausted, don't slow down; instead, use less range of motion by spreading your legs farther apart.

Full-range-of-motion jump squat

For these body-weight jump squats, you want to use the deepest range of motion you can. When exhaustion sets in, shorten the range of motion but don't slow down the repetitions.

Medicine-ball crossover push-up

No matter how well-conditioned you are, your body will be fatiguing quickly by this third biplex. This, of course, is the whole point of the workout. Still, you want to do the rest as explosively as possible, and to get the maximum range of motion for as long as you can. As before, you can shorten the range on the push-ups, but don't sacrifice explosiveness.

Alternating full-range-of-motion split jump

Go for maximum air time on the jump, maximum range of motion on the descent, and minimum time with your feet on the floor. As you fatigue, you can shorten the range of motion when fatigue sets in by spreading your feet farther apart, but don't sacrifice speed or reactive force.

You should know the exercises in the final three biplexes. They aren't particularly challenging, which is all you'll be able to handle at this point in the workout. The exercise selection is arbitrary, and obviously more specific to bodybuilders. Feel free to change the exercises if you want. Don't feel as if you need to make the exercises more difficult; single-plane, single-joint movements are fine.

Final Thoughts

Because this workout is so challenging, and requires so much recovery, I recommend doing it once every two weeks, and always taking the following day off.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking it doesn't offer anything to you because it isn't specific to physique training. Kevin Weiss, the natural bodybuilding champion who demonstrates the exercises in these videos (his first article for TMUSCLE is here), has used it successfully. So have Allen Cress, a competitive bodybuilder and powerlifter based in Kentucky, and Andy Sinclair, a model who does everything from fitness magazines to the covers of romance novels.

As one of my clients wrote me after doing this workout, "If you ain't dyin', then you're lyin!"

Rep & A Half Routine

Looking for bodybuilding routines that work? Have you been going stale? Have your gains slowed down or stopped? Believe it or not most bodybuilders experience this at one time or another.

Once you find yourself in that situation you need to find bodybuilding routines that work for you. It can be difficult to choose which one to go with. There are so many options to choose from that selecting one can be a daunting task.

One thing to remember...

The great thing about bodybuilding is there are no hard and fast rules. It's a journey you must make on your own. Of course, a little guidance always helps. So read on and add a new dimension to your training knowledge

Here, we will discuss a bodybuilding routine that can really spur new growth and combat boredom. It's called "a rep and a half."

A rep and a half is as simple of an approach to bodybuilding as the name would suggest. The trainee performs a full repetition followed by a half repetition or any variation thereof.

While this might sound easy at first, people who attempt this strategy quickly discover that it can be brutal. The extra effort can lead to tremendous results. The pump that you can achieve through a rep and a half training can be skin-bursting. The great thing about this bodybuilding routine is that you can apply to, literally, any exercise. In your quest for bodybuilding routines that work, this may be what you've been looking for!

OK, so how do do it?

Well, that's up to you. Yes, you read that right. It's up to you!

Let’s say that you’re looking for a way to boost your biceps. Preacher curls are a tried and true method for working this body part, but by applying the rep and a half technique, you can take this exercise to an entirely different level. Better yet, there are numerous options for how you can apply the technique.

For example, you can perform a half rep—from the halfway point to completion, followed by a half rep, from the bottom, to the halfway point, followed by full rep, and repeat these motions for a full set.

Alternatively, you can go with a matching strategy—do one half rep from the bottom up to the halfway, then do one full rep; follow that with two half reps, then two reps, and so on.

This bodybuilding routine may start easy, but by the time you are completing four or five reps of each, your biceps will feel like they are on fire! When you reach that burning point, you can count on the fact that you’re gong to see results.
    What exercises are best for this training?

Some of the exercises that seem to work well with a rep and a half include:

Preacher curls for biceps
    Hack squats for quads
    Incline presses for chest
    Close grip bench presses for triceps
    Standing calf raises for the calves.

In each case, you want to be purposeful about how you are using half reps. Remember that each half rep is focusing your energy and working your muscles differently. Be thoughtful, but also don’t be afraid to experiment and make this routine your own. Just remember that the number of sets you put in should never exceed the point at which your pump starts to dissipate.

Use your head not your ego!

One caveat to this bodybuilding routine is that the trainee may see drastic decreases in the amount of weight he is lifting when he uses this method. This is the point at which you need to leave your ego at the gym door!

A bodybuilder needs to be concerned with developing muscle, whatever it takes, and that is the fundamental difference between someone using a bodybuilding routine, and someone training to increase his strength. The two do cross paths.... but not here.

Give a rep and a half a try for 6 weeks or so. It's an excellent tool for breaking training plateaus.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12