Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Tragic. But I see 300 and 400 lb WOMEN ALL THE TIME at Walmart and other places. But boy, howdyho, if a big guy with a big structure who lifts very heavy weights hits that mark, OMG so dangerous..please... people die everyday, and I hate it, but it happens. My brother was 39, no steroids, barely ever lifted, - alcohol and adoption issues, my mother (adopted) was 68, cigarettes - they cut out her tongue...

dante covered it all very well. especially the part about the wife and kids. my youngest is 9 and im having heart attacks as i live as healthy of a life as i can trying to prevent them. although my issues arent solely do to aas usage i still get a bad feeling a guilt every time i exchange i love yous with those that need me.

The Fitness View Carolyn Bryant's Avatar

Great post from Dante. But unfortunately I feel it falls on deaf ears. I have said similar things many times and people just shrugged and laughed. I posted on Facebook that 1000 mgs of test weekly, then masking the side effests with powerful oncology drugs like Nolvedex and Arimidex overtime puts you at great risk for blood clots and heart failure. But like Dante said, that's what everyone else is doing and they are still alive so it must be OK. NOT! You have no idea how many bodybuilders suffer in silence or don't compete anymore due to health problems they have overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Bryant View Post
    Great post from Dante. But unfortunately I feel it falls on deaf ears. I have said similar things many times and people just shrugged and laughed. I posted on Facebook that 1000 mgs of test weekly, then masking the side effests with powerful oncology drugs like Nolvedex and Arimidex overtime puts you at great risk for blood clots and heart failure. But like Dante said, that's what everyone else is doing and they are still alive so it must be OK. NOT! You have no idea how many bodybuilders suffer in silence or don't compete anymore due to health problems they have overcome.
    Most bodybuilders don't recognize the potential consequences for polypharmacy drug use like this.

Regardless, its sad to see someone go so young. RIP to Kovacs and my condolences to his family and loved ones.

Has anyone gotten more details on his passing?

when do we just admit that bodybuilding is an addiction and bodybuilders are addicts...we can't help ourselves we know what we're doing is fucked up and we just keep on doing it cause we are addicted to the lifestyle and the look... and we find ways to justify everything we do

Quote Originally Posted by Steve56 View Post
    when do we just admit that bodybuilding is an addiction and bodybuilders are addicts...we can't help ourselves we know what we're doing is fucked up and we just keep on doing it cause we are addicted to the lifestyle and the look... and we find ways to justify everything we do
    Exactly......ive alway said and believed this....if we werent addicted to ourselve...it would certainly be something else, you must have an addictive personality and/or very ocd tendencies to stay immersed In this shit...

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

I agree with this. Bodybuilding helped lead me out of other addictions. No matter how bad it may be for me, It is much better than the other things I was addicted to. We all make choices, and at some point we will pay for our choices. As long as what we do doesn't affect others it should be ok. I have children and I damn sure understand what Joe d said because of my mistakes in life I pray that my children won't suffer.

I am glad to see some healthy dialog and realizations going on here.
    Bottom line is this: We are all in charge of our own destinies and the knowledge to make very well educated hypotheses about what we choose to do is out there in plain sight. So with that being said, if you're going to get into this game, you'd better educate yourself and assess the risk/benefit ratios without bias.
    There comes a point in time where we all have to look in the mirror and say, "That's enough. I did what I could so it's time to move on."

OLYMPIAN

Dear friends fans of Gregory Kovacs:
    I am writing to you on behalf of Gregory's widow Catherine and our family. We are all deeply touched by the outpouring of love and memories and stories of him. It is extremely comforting. At this time we will be having a small memorial of family to grieve and help our personal recovery. Greg's wishes were that there would not be a service. We must respect that. He would have been very hurt knowing that this was not respected. He was a private generous person and did not want others to take time from work to attend a service and wanted everyone's life to move on. He will not be forgotten however in that there will be a fund in his honour in the form of a scholarship bursary for his high school, Westlane Secondary School in Niagara Falls. This will go toward an athlete with good grades. This contribution towards his wishes will continue to positively affect the life of a young person in a positive way....in the way he lived his life....helping others. At this moment we are working out the details as to where to send donations to regarding this fund. All will be recognized here on his fan page and friend page. There are many things to do at this point to set this up but we ask you in lieu of flowers and costs to anyone who is planning something to realize....this will be a way to keep his memory alive in the investment of a student who will be able to benefit from it for many years to come. At the time I have further information, I will post as how to donate to his memory. You would make a difference in his honour and he will know. In the mean time....have a glass of wine and light a candle for him. He would have wanted you to do just that.
    Much love
    Kristina Kovacs Finbow, Catherine Dupuis and family...

Please share this message so that we can spread the message to those who would want to contribute

http://muscle-insider.com/news/greg-kovacs-update

Quote Originally Posted by LookinFit75 View Post
    I am glad to see some healthy dialog and realizations going on here.
    Bottom line is this: We are all in charge of our own destinies and the knowledge to make very well educated hypotheses about what we choose to do is out there in plain sight. So with that being said, if you're going to get into this game, you'd better educate yourself and assess the risk/benefit ratios without bias.
    There comes a point in time where we all have to look in the mirror and say, "That's enough. I did what I could so it's time to move on."
    I decided the risks weren't worth it for me back in the late 80's, and that was child's play compared to what's going on now. I used to spend a couple hundred bucks prepping for a show. Now, that's a week's worth.

IFBB PRO BODYBUILDER & National Champ Powerlifter fitbody's Avatar

RIP Greg Kovacs

"GOODBYE MY FRIEND"

this article was written by by my friend JOHN MUTTON who asked me to post
    published in the Oshawa/Durham newspaper
    here's the link: http://www.ocentral.ca/10-2/
    below is the copy of the article

I first met Greg Kovacs back in 2010 having known of Greg Kovacs for years. What was not to know, the world's strongest and largest pro bodybuilder who had set records of a 700 lb bench press and graced many magazines including the cover of Ironman.

What captured me about Greg, once I got past his 360 lbs of muscle on a 6'2" frame was his calm demeanor, the true essence of a gentle giant. Greg and I immediately became close friends and I also started to train under his knowledge.

I can still remember having to rotate going to the sushi restaurants in the GTA not to put them out of business with our intake at an all you can eat.

Greg turned pro way back in the early 90's winning the Canadian Bodybuilding Championships and earning his International Federation of Bodybuilding (IFBB) Pro card. Greg went on to finish as high as 13th at the Arnold Classic.

Greg was so huge that he did not really have the aesthetics to go top 5 in the top competitions in the world, yet he had a great following of fans due to his sheer strength, size and his personable demeanor.

The king of the supplement companies Muscletech actually signed Greg to a very good contract back when they 1st got started. This is where I believe the industry killed Greg. Wanting Greg to step on the scales always 400 lbs or more of ripped muscle is not easy on the body. Greg often lamented about the quantity of food he had to eat and how hard it was to breath at that size.

Indeed when Gregs weight slipped into the 340-360 range, his contract was cancelled and the industry turned their back on still the largest and strongest bodybuilder in the world.

Greg went on to write with many publications and "the Kovacian" was a sought after column by anyone wanting to pack on muscle.

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a gentle, kind man Greg was and he absolutely loved his girlfriend Catherine Dupuis beyond imagination.

Greg Kovacs died of heart failure on Nov 25 and took his last breaths in the arms of Catherine at the age of 44.

The bodybuilding community and the industry that turned their back on Greg have lost one of their true ambassadors.

Goodbye my friend, my only reasoning for God to take you so young is that he needs a training partner in heaven.

John Mutton

pix attached are of John & Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Damn!

I def agree with you Steve, but you can be jacked without steroids and without killing yourself. You might not be IFBB pro jacked but does that really matter in the long run? When you are on your deathbed is it comforting to know that i was once a huge monster? I would rather be as jacked as i can be without gear and live as long as i can then add the risk with juicing my brains out. We have so many other problems we have to worry about when it comes to health and not knowing what could happen that it doesnt make sense to me to add to that with all that shit. Hey thats just me though.
    Last edited by Pitbull9; 12-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.

RX MEMBER

Bodybuilding has little to do with health. The two have only a passing acquaintance. I'd say that's true of most athletic endeavors, in fact. What determines your overall health depends on other things than extreme dedication to working out & strictly controlled diet.
    Last edited by hifrommike65; 12-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    Bodybuilding has little to do with health. The two have only a passing acquaintance. I'd say that's true of most athletic endeavors, in fact. What determines your overall health depends on other things than extreme dedication to working out & strictly controlled diet.
    Agreed but the way i do it is like you just said. Maybe that is why im not 220 but 195 lol.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast