Default When is young, too young to powerlift?

The argument for the safety and health of children in any sport is as relevant today as any other time in our history. Girls in gymnastics with multiple tendon ruptures and broken bones may out number the boys playing football with joint and head injuries. However, I do not know of any clinical data to support the idea that powerlifting is any more dangerous than either of the previously mentioned sports. This article is one that provokes the "what the hell is the problem here" gene in me. It simply doesn't make sense to target this kid or the sport any more than "Friday Night Tykes" on the new Esquire Channel.

http://rxmuscle.com/strength-article...too-young.html

this is about the right age to start squatting
    Attached Images Attached Images

Being serious here I have a nephew who did gymnastics as a kid and is a mess now.Elbows are messed up and somehow his toes got broken in all kinds of directions.I dont think powerlifting would be as dangerous as that for a child if they had a good coach to make sure they are not bouncing out of the bottom of squats or getting all rounded over and using just back.Also to make sure they are keeping tight on deadlifts and not straitening their legs too fast.There is a chance of injury no matter the age.

We were taught bodyweight only exercise until the growth plates were closed. Between 13-16 years old. I don't know if that recommendation has any science behind it.

nothing at all wrong with anyone at any age weight training in general. keeping it healthy and enjoyable is what i have always done with mine. my oldest 2 boys are 19 and 20. i started them when they asked me to. they where 13 and 14. my youngest boy is 14 now and going to the gym with me daily. he loves it. no injuries. he eats healthy and trains with good form and volume. no brutal stuff.

my girl from 4-6 used to lay on the floor and bench press her brothers skateboards while we walked in from the gym pretending she had been lifting to haha. now shes 9 and has no interest at all.

i dont push it on them. they come to me and i help them do what they want to do the right way.

I dont think there is a right answer. physically some kids are ready at age 5-6. I was. I was a HUGE kid. some, not until much later. It is more important that either parental or solid coach supervision prevail. where i do draw the line is equipped lifting. until the kid has reached near maximal potential in raw lifting should the leap to equipped even be contemplated. if bone structure, growth plates, connective tissues are not ready raw, why the hell would you consider a squat suit or bench shirt?

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Was 15 when I got that first 110# vinyl/concrete weight set. No reason someone much younger couldn't be introduced to proper form and the movements. Children love to be active. Bodyweight squats, pushups, etc., why not?

I agree with joe d. Never too young to start, never. Focus on form first though, then with experience they can decide what route they want to take.

OLYMPIAN

I think in my opinion i wouldnt agree for maximal lifts or explosive lifts until they have finished the majority of their growth spurt.
    Gripped Fitness Accessories

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Tips for Supervising a Youth Strength and Resistance Training Program*

Safety should always come first when training a youth or child. It is helpful to prepare yourself for any and all possibilities. Preparation is also helpful in easing the minds on concerned parents. Below are some helpful tips that will help to ensure the safety of your young charges.*

Before you begin training anyone under the age of 18, be sure to have written parental and medical permission to do so. This consent form should also include a disclosure of all known medical conditions that you should be aware about. If there are any conditions, such as diabetes or asthma, make sure you are fully informed about emergency procedures.*

Make sure the equipment you will be using is free from defects. Also be aware that the equipment is adequate for young children, who may not be able to lift a normal 45-pound bar or may not be tall enough to use the squat racks or bench.*

It is vitally important that young lifters are adequately hydrated and have had at least a small meal within a few hours of training.*

Athletes should be sufficiently warmed-up before beginning a training session.

Youth should always be under the direct supervision of a competent trainer or coach when weight training.

Employ a wide variety of exercises and training styles to keep interest levels high and encourage participation in a wide variety of sports and activities.

You should have personal liability insurance in case of an accident. Depending on your circumstance, you may need to get a personal training certification from a reputable organization to obtain this. If you are working in a school or a gym, be sure to ask if their coverage covers you.*

Make sure that the environment is conducive to training. If you are training in a gym that doesn't have air-conditioning in the middle of a heat wave, take special precautions to ensure that everyone is staying hydrated. If possible, train in the morning when it is cooler, and don't be afraid to cancel squat day if the temperature is too high. Weather reporters sometimes use the term "wet-bulb globe temperature," especially in the summer. In hot weather, it is advantageous to pay attention to this number. The National Athletic Trainer's Association recommends that training or events be delayed if this temperature reaches 82 degrees. Keep in mind this is the wet-bulb globe temperature, not what we normally consider the "temperature" to be. A wet-bulb globe temperature of 73° (which is a high-risk level) is approximately the same as a dry-bulb temperature ("normal" temperature) of 73° with 100% humidity and a dry-bulb temperature of 93° at 20% humidity (11.)*

Be able to provide informational sources to parents of young lifters to erase and lingering doubts they have about their children lifting weights. This will also be helpful educating the parents about the importance of instilling health lifestyle choices at a young age. Coaches often have no control over the eating habits, sleeping patterns, etc of their athletes, so communication with the parents is vital to enhance these very important ideals.*

Following these basic guidelines will help develop safe and effective programs for young children and adolescents.*

More @ http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsl...features1.html

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Tips for Supervising a Youth Strength and Resistance Training Program*

Safety should always come first when training a youth or child. It is helpful to prepare yourself for any and all possibilities. Preparation is also helpful in easing the minds on concerned parents. Below are some helpful tips that will help to ensure the safety of your young charges.*

Before you begin training anyone under the age of 18, be sure to have written parental and medical permission to do so. This consent form should also include a disclosure of all known medical conditions that you should be aware about. If there are any conditions, such as diabetes or asthma, make sure you are fully informed about emergency procedures.*

Make sure the equipment you will be using is free from defects. Also be aware that the equipment is adequate for young children, who may not be able to lift a normal 45-pound bar or may not be tall enough to use the squat racks or bench.*

It is vitally important that young lifters are adequately hydrated and have had at least a small meal within a few hours of training.*

Athletes should be sufficiently warmed-up before beginning a training session.

Youth should always be under the direct supervision of a competent trainer or coach when weight training.

Employ a wide variety of exercises and training styles to keep interest levels high and encourage participation in a wide variety of sports and activities.

You should have personal liability insurance in case of an accident. Depending on your circumstance, you may need to get a personal training certification from a reputable organization to obtain this. If you are working in a school or a gym, be sure to ask if their coverage covers you.*

Make sure that the environment is conducive to training. If you are training in a gym that doesn't have air-conditioning in the middle of a heat wave, take special precautions to ensure that everyone is staying hydrated. If possible, train in the morning when it is cooler, and don't be afraid to cancel squat day if the temperature is too high. Weather reporters sometimes use the term "wet-bulb globe temperature," especially in the summer. In hot weather, it is advantageous to pay attention to this number. The National Athletic Trainer's Association recommends that training or events be delayed if this temperature reaches 82 degrees. Keep in mind this is the wet-bulb globe temperature, not what we normally consider the "temperature" to be. A wet-bulb globe temperature of 73° (which is a high-risk level) is approximately the same as a dry-bulb temperature ("normal" temperature) of 73° with 100% humidity and a dry-bulb temperature of 93° at 20% humidity (11.)*

Be able to provide informational sources to parents of young lifters to erase and lingering doubts they have about their children lifting weights. This will also be helpful educating the parents about the importance of instilling health lifestyle choices at a young age. Coaches often have no control over the eating habits, sleeping patterns, etc of their athletes, so communication with the parents is vital to enhance these very important ideals.*

Following these basic guidelines will help develop safe and effective programs for young children and adolescents.*

More @ http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsl...features1.html

Very important and informative stuff.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Trauma View Post
    We were taught bodyweight only exercise until the growth plates were closed. Between 13-16 years old. I don't know if that recommendation has any science behind it.
    Second this! It's what my orthopedic surgeon said when I asked him about when my son could start lifting.