Default 12 Weeks out.... My Beginning

This is me in 2008. This was before I had a Clue! I had just moved to Colorado and started my long desired career as a personal trainer, and up to this point... I had been handling my health all wrong. I was afraid of food and yet thought about it all of the time. When I was eating, I was eating all of the wrong things. I worked out vigorously, but I had a long way to go before I really learned how to shape my body.
    before 2008.jpgbefore back.jpg

This is me at the 2013 Warrior Classic in Colorado. It was a long road, but through years of experience, school and self-education, help from others, and countless subscriptions to OXYGEN Magazines, I finally figured things out. I knew not only what to eat, but when to eat it and how much I needed. I learned that nutrition is 80% of the success rate of ANY health related goal. I learned that for your muscles to adapt to the stress placed upon it, during physical activity, they must have the proper nutrition to support it.

1655885_587637674646787_971556170_n.jpg

Not only do I feel better from a health stand-point, I have more confidence, my body has become more efficient, and my training is more effective. The confidence that I gained through the achievement of my fitness goals, bleeds into everything I do; from how I interact with others on a daily basis to how I handle business.

This is me today... This picture was actually taken in January, but not much has changed. I worked hard over these last 9 months toward increasing my muscle mass and building under-developed areas, The extra calories consumed from vacations, holidays, and everyday enjoyment of food definitely helped me fill out.

1.5.14 Before Side 2.jpg1.5.14 Before Front.jpg1.5.14 Back Before 2.jpg

Now it's time to take in the slack. Tomorrow, March 3rd, 2014 marks 12 Weeks from my next NPC Competition, the 2014 Mile High Championships, and 3 weeks after that... Jr. Nationals!!!

Follow me in these next 12 weeks and I will share the ups and downs of competing, tips to make competing more affordable, training tips on how to achieve the look and shape that you want, and information about how to keep your body healthy and your joints happy throughout your training program.

Stay Tuned for more everyone!

Thank you,

Lori Young,ATC,CPT,PES

Default Day 1 of 12 Weeks Training

Good Morning Everyone! And Happy Monday!!! Today marks my 12 weeks from my first competition of the year. I went out with a bang and had a big Ribeye steak and artichokes with lemon butter for dinner last night. It was AMAZING!!! As of today, I am about 125lbs and 20% BF. My goal is to get down to ABOUT 110lbs and 10-12% BF. I have my water, my supplement regime, and my meals for the day ready to go!!! Let's See What I'm Made Of!
    2014-03-03 11.17.48.jpg

IFBB PRO, Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

Yahoo! I will be watching and following along!

Right now for protein, I am using Dymatize. Really like their product! But I think I am going to try Muscle Pharm next time. I like their pre-workout and I really feel like it is a company that I can stand behind. They have their research lab/training facility here in Denver, and everything is clinically proven to improve performance without bombarding you with banned substances. I am also taking Muscle Pharm's fat burner and I really like it so far. As for everything else, I am not really consistent with the brands that I use, but Optimum Nutrition puts out some great stuff. I use their Multi-Vitamin, BCAAs, and Fish oil. I am also taking glutamine, chromium, and vitamin c. What about you? What do you like?

The picture is from the 2013 Warrior Classic in Loveland, CO. What shows have you done?

Good Morning Everyone! It is an icy morning in Colorado, but the forecast looks favorable that it will warm up... I can't wait to be outside and start some sprints! We have been confined to the indoors, here in Colorado (or at least I have... I am a HUGE baby when it comes to being cold), and I have been doing everything that I can to get my cardio in. I definitely need to pick it up though. 30-45 minutes is my goal and lately I have been getting in closer to 20 minutes. It is a good thing that I have all of you to back me up though! It takes everything that I have to stay on a machine (and I bounce around a lot! Going from treadmill, to stairmill, to the bike and so on) I am ready for warmer weather!!! My favorite mode of Cardio??? Running to the nearest parking garage and sprinting up the ramps! No one is there to bother you, it is over quick, and it works you hard. I look for ramps or any place that has a good set of stairs to run up. Here is a look at one of my favorite places to hit the stairs.
    Attachment 164691Attachment 164692

It is day 3 of my 12 week program and I feel great!! So far, I haven't had many cravings and my meals keep me pretty satisfied. My favorite part of the day is my eggs with brussel sprouts and oatmeal... and then my rice cake with peanut butter. I drink a lot of tea at night, which helps to calm me after a long day of work and training.

Feeling Good everyone. Talk to you soon.

RX MEMBER

Default I'm back!!!

I bet all of you thought that I was finished blogging before I even started. I could give you every excuse in the book on why I have not blogged in 3 weeks, but the truth is... I have just been busy! Who hasn't? We live in a fast paced world and things don't just slow down because we need or want them to. We have to prioritize and plan the use of our time accordingly. In this case, Food Prep beat out Blogging on the priority scale.
    Food Prep is a key component of any successful health program. I know that it all sounds really easy. (Cook your food for the week and stay active, and you will have the body you want and the health to go with it.) But planning your food for the week means spending a lot of time in the kitchen. I love creating healthy, delicious meals! I could cook all day long! But pile on the hours you spend at work, at the gym, at the grocery store, tending to the needs of your family and friends, and things can get overwhelming. It is, however, completely necessary for any successful health related program.
    The other obstacle is knowing what to cook for the day that lies ahead of you. Chicken, Broccoli, and Sweet Potatoes may be a great meal, but in the event that you are out and about, have a fast paced or physically demanding job, or are on vacation, it helps to have foods with you that are easy to eat and not messy. Many foods on the market, today, may be convenient but they lack the nutritional value that is important for success during training, especially for body building competitors. A few weeks ago I ran into a situation where I needed convenient food. For 2 weekends in a row, I worked 15 hour days as medical assistance for a National Qualifying Volleyball tournament. These 15 hour days were fast paced. I had to be alert and ready to think on my toes. I had to keep my energy up for the duration of the days, all while preparing for a show.

How did I overcome the challenge of staying on my diet and keeping the foods I ate quick and easy? Let me give you a run down...

Normal Diet-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Convenience Diet
    Meal 1- egg whites, kale, and oatmeal...............................Protein pancakes made from those same ingredients

meal 2- turkey and celery............................................ .................. Turkey burger and celery
    Meal3- Chicken, Sweet Potato, Kale or Broccoli..................Chicken and Sweet Potato Burgers with Home made Kale Chips

Meal 4- Protein Shake, Rice Cake, Peanut Butter............................................ Quest Bar mmmmmmmm........
    Meal 5- Chicken and Broccoli.......................................... ....... Baked Egg and Kale Cups

Meal 6- Chicken With Kale and Romain............................................ ... Same- in my hotel

I even made my coffee to go, just needed to add hot water :

The meal planning was a success! I was able to stick to my diet and I felt better than I did in past years of working this event, when I ate whatever was lying around.
    Stay tuned for more From Lori Young : )

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Looking forward to seeing more posts from u I agree it can be hard to always blog and make post but when I remember that I can actually help other people that helps!