Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    IFBB PRO, Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

Default ARTICLE: "Transgendered Athletes - Overcoming Adversity"....By: Christian Duque

"Transgendered Athletes - Overcoming Adversity"

Some things in life are simple. Other things may appear to be cut-and-dry on the surface, but are actually far more complex than you think. In order to have a fighting chance of understanding, appreciating, and perhaps even learning something from this article, the reader needs to have an open mind. Today's topic is 'Transgendered Athletes in Competitive Sports' – an increasingly pertinent subject in today's collegiate, amateur, and professional level sports.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/articles/latest-news/10709-transgendered-athletes-overcoming-adversity.html

trans2.jpg

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

Wow, another Christian Duque article where he tells me, the reader...how I must feel, how I must think and how backward I am?

If he is such a "Great writer" I have a suggestion for him....and the person who edited this. Here are some phrases that turn off or insult the reader and differant phrasing I would suggest. I am not a writer by any means...

" Germany forbids doctors from making cosmetic genital surgeries on these infants – an immoral practice that's been the norm since time immemorial in the medical field",

leave out the "Immoral" part. Immorallity is someones thought...not an absolute. This sentence would have been just the same without that part.

"Although many people believe that sexual genitalia is the be-all and end-all determination for gender, they couldn't be farther from the truth. "Gender is the range of physical, biological, mental, and behavioral characteristics that distinguish males from females"

Instead of telling what I believe couldn't be further from the truth....tell me "Experts believe".

"In fact, it's widely known that Trans Women find gay men quite unattractive and the feeling's mutual! "
    ....You speak for the whole of trans women? This part also could have been left out without effecting the message of the article at all.

"However, the political alliance did help in terms of legal protections and eroding some of society's misguided stances –"
    I
    consider myself part of society...why automatically tell me I am misguided? Let me read your article and discover that for myself. If you are a good writer I will come to that conclusion from the information you have given me.

"Neither surgery makes someone any more or less transgendered, but many members of the mainstream love asking this very personal, private question of Trans people. It's their way of degrading, bullying, and tormenting their victims. Quite frankly, I believe it's a borderline hate speech if it’s repetitive or done to ostracize people. " Or
    this is so far out of the norm that people are just curious? I know knowledge is power, the more I know about it the less strange it will seem. Knowledge is great but it has more impact if you can put a face with the situation...not just an abstract concept. Hate speach...really?

"Sadly, some sports associations are not only not changing, they're playing God. That's right, they're playing with people and their lives and they're doing so with impunity."
    No one is forced to compete in sports....sports are not a right guarenteed or something? Playing God, poor phrasing again, this part could also be left out with out overall effect....except to offend Christains such as myself.

"When people say things like, ‘she has a huge unfair advantage! She's a man!’ It really highlights their ignorance on the subject, especially when I am pitted against an opponent like Erika Newsome."

How about "Misinformed...misinformation"? Why call your readers "Ignorant"?

"The reality is that Ms. Johnson doesn't have an 'unfair advantage' per the IOC, NCAA, LPGA, or Organization of Boxing Commissions, just to name a few, but this relatively new sports association, playing God, has not only arbitrarily changed guidelines, they simply won't let her play at all."

These are just opinions, not scientific studies. Your own expert (Dave P) says it depends when the hormones are given whether or not there is long term gain? Chloe was a grown, US Marine, Male before she started hormones.

"science is being forced to undermine the nonsense they've been dishing out as factual. But when will these backward sports associations join the 21st century?"
    So now we need to change the science we do not agree with? If it is the truth science will test and prove it. When popular opinion changes science we are in trouble.

Christian, you have skills as a writer but we see again you often write stuff that repels the reader rather than draw them in. I don't even mean the subject matter, I mean the way you present your subject. This article did nothing to mke me feel differant about transgendered athletes but did make me feel as if I was being called Ignorant, Backward and Misguided.

I hope this won't be taken as an attack because I would not have used the time or energy to attack you. I want RX Muscle to stay a great place and your writing is a reflection on this place.

Thank you, Cal
    Last edited by swingslammer; 04-20-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Cal,

Thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion on the words Christian offered. I'm replying because I proofread the piece. I proof a lot of the articles that you read on Rx Muscle.

I don't question content or whether the authors are stating their opinion, someone else's quote, or fact, but I do agree with many of your comments.

Believe it's safe to say that I'm more liberal and you're more conservative and so I never even questioned the points you've questioned in your response to Christian's words. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts, brother.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILDOFGOD View Post
    that is a great way of puttin' it. God made man to b a man, and made a woman to b a woman, period. satan, just like to use some folks to try to change what God, has made to fit his litta fancy way, yet satan already knows that his time is and has been up. he really need to just sit down.
    God needs to teach you how to write a sentence.
    Last edited by bushmaster; 04-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.

I believe its "cut and dry", not cut and dried; as if your preparing a salted meat.
    Keep Ritch Banned. FOR-EVER.

Un-Ban SKELETOR though, yo.

Muscle In The Morning

Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I believe its "cut and dry", not cut and dried; as if your preparing a salted meat.
    I had it as "cut and dry" originally but it was edited. Again, either way seemed fine to me; your comment has got me thinking now. Whatever Curt decides, I'm fine with.
    Last edited by MITM; 04-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
    god needs to teach you how to write a sentence.
    this^^^^^^
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

that is a great way of puttin' it.
    swingslammer did indeed address the article in a great way.

But his statement, his response to Christian's text -- from my point of view -- has zero to do with your commentary...

God made man to b a man, and made a woman to b a woman, period. satan, just like to use some folks to try to change what God, has made to fit his litta fancy way, yet satan already knows that his time is and has been up. he really need to just sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by bushmaster View Post
    God needs to teach you how to write a sentence.
    This.

It seems manufactured and fake.

Regardless of that opinion, COG, your statement, "God made man to b a man, and made a woman to b a woman, period" dismisses the apparent fact that God also made those individuals born possessing both male and female sexual characteristics.

Period? No.

Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    I believe it's it's, not its. And you're, not your.

Just sayin. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDuque View Post
    I had it as "cut and dry" originally but it was edited. Again, either way seemed fine to me; your comment has got me thinking now. Whatever Curt decides, I'm fine with.
    Either way is acceptable.

Cal's comments speak to true editing. What I do for the site is simply look for obvious misspellings, verify names are spelled correctly, and attempt to have some consistency within an article.

Thanks Curt, I knew you edit but I guess not in a.traditional way like a newspaper.editor. I did work for the local newspaper for two years in the early 90s. Just taking down called in sports scores and reports on Friday and Saturday nights.

I quit during the Gulf War when the true editor stood in the news room during the start of the war said " This war is great...we are going to make a ton of money", gave 2 week notice the next day.

I just think Christian has an "off putting" writing style. Style can be.changed though....his article obviously took work and research, not like it was just thrown together.

RX MEMBER

Christian Duque is not a strong writer in my opinion.

I suspect his writings are only to "stir the pot" and have no other substance within them.

I am not trying to insult the man however; just my opinion.

In regards to transgendered athletes...I believe they should all compete in the male categories period. Again...just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AnavarAnnie View Post

I suspect his writings are only to "stir the pot" and have no other substance within them.

In regards to transgendered athletes...I believe they should all compete in the male categories period. Again...just my opinion.

I suppose you are a woman? I have stated in the past " How would you feel about getting beaten by a transgendered person?".......I would be pissed off. If I got second place you would know you would have won were it not for someone with an advantage, not a level playing field.

This article can say it is fair....but even Dave says they have an advantage. If a person that has been on steroids has an advantage Even after being off several years.....of course a person born of the other sex would have an advantage.

There are studies that say muscle gained with steroids can stay with a person years after the last cycle.....therefore advantage over non user.

Mechanically a male and female body are different, angles of bones and muscle insertions. Female hormones don't change that.

Quote Originally Posted by AnavarAnnie View Post

But is it your opinion? lol

Seriously, he's not simply stirring the pot and -- as swingslammer stated -- "his article obviously took work and research, not like it was just thrown together."

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    There are studies that say muscle gained with steroids can stay with a person years after the last cycle.....therefore advantage over non user.

Mechanically a male and female body are different, angles of bones and muscle insertions. Female hormones don't change that.
    Cite?

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...cle+insertions

Because I'm calling BS on that. Angle of bones?

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    Thanks Curt, I knew you edit but I guess not in a.traditional way like a newspaper.editor. I did work for the local newspaper for two years in the early 90s. Just taking down called in sports scores and reports on Friday and Saturday nights.

I quit during the Gulf War when the true editor stood in the news room during the start of the war said " This war is great...we are going to make a ton of money", gave 2 week notice the next day.

I just think Christian has an "off putting" writing style. Style can be.changed though....his article obviously took work and research, not like it was just thrown together.
    Good on you for walking away from that job.

And I don't have time nor do I want to get into a million back and forth emails over content when it comes to proofreading the articles submitted to Rx Muscle.

Some arrive in pristine condition -- zero (often) typos -- while others can use some serious help or just a quick run through the Spelling & Grammar tool.

I was a Navy journalist. Served in the military for five years. Completed their print and broadcast journalism courses. Safe to say that I have a face for print journalism, though. No Ron Burgundy here. :-)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast