Default Choose your Coach Wisely

I will make no apologies for the tone presented here. Truth is, this comes with a considerable amount of anger and emotion. This something is not one thing, but a perpetual and steady flow of the same thing over and over again, to the point of ridiculousness. So I need to comment. If one of you gets this before it ...is too late, then it has been worth my time.

In bodybuilding the drug craziness is getting more and more absurd and I need to speak up about it. Yes its part of the subculture, but the issues arise when individuals hire a so called expert, as in a coach, and do as they prescribe not realizing the damage being done until it’s too late. I have talked to numerous amateur, national level, and a few pros who have been prescribed the same bulls**t every prep. It basically goes like this.

Drop calories, increase cardio, increase T3 & Clen, repeat…Really! That’s expertise?! Just because these guys are on anabolics does not mean it will prevent muscle loss and that you can’t screw up their adrenals and metabolic function. I have seen many have a great foundation of muscle only for it to basically disappear from all the extreme T3 & Clen doses on top of low carb/fat diets and longer and longer cardio sessions. Who couldn’t do all that and burn off fat, any idiot could prescribe that. This is not expertise its irresponsible on the coach’s behalf and also the client needs to take a stance and stop doing it. Just because the coach may be popular doesn’t make it right. They can show all the before and after pics they want, but if you actually talked with some of the clients you would see the extremes they went thru and how it just ran them into the ground.

We all know the sport has lost some people over the last few years. I don’t need to name them. Many others now have serious medical and health problems for the rest of their lives. The message is just not getting out there. Is competing worth a serious medical problem? I have tried to counsel many guys and gals that the “more is better mentality” is a myth. All these compounds need to be used with responsibility and to you unknowing competitors just because a popular coach says you should do it doesn’t mean you have to or that there isn’t a better way, because there absolutely is a better and safer way to come in stage ready. It’s called proper coaching and a hard work ethic. There is no need for pushing high doses of T3, Clen, low/no carb & low fat diets combined on top of marathon cardio sessions.

Expertise, What does that even mean in bodybuilding now? I know what it means to me, but it seems to mean something else out there to those who claim to be an “expert” and to the person or people advocating the previous mentioned “stack” above. How is that an application of “expertise” or “expert advice?” It is instead the application of drug abuse in a sub culture that condones and embraces it. It is the application of “extremism”.

And before people start saying I am trashing “so and so” let’s get something straight once and for all. There is an old saying, “small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, superior minds talk about concepts”. Some experts that exist in bodybuilding, exist more in reputation than in real terms. It’s hurting many out there. It’s time for one person to say crazy, when crazy is what it is. Do you want to be permanently ill because of a desire to get a better body, or to say you competed at the “next level”. Our industry needs a serious overall in terms of who is representing it, what voices are being heard, and what is the prevailing mentality and thinking strategies behind it all.

Bodybuilding as a process, like so many other processes out there, can change your life, for sure. Competition, can be a worthwhile part of that, but the process is where the winning comes from, the contest is second to that. I don’t have all the answers and I don’t claim to. I do know right now, in this industry, the messages getting out there to the masses are mixed up and screwed up. I think it is time to get back to some basics; hard work, real sacrifice in the gym and at the dinner table; self-respect, self-reliance, self-motivation

So true! Everything you say is true 100% right on the money!! Problem is the sport attracts delusional people many with very low self esteem that are looking to be a part of something to feel important to feel that they are somebody. Many of them are mentally ill obsessive compulsive, addictive personalities, they get swallowed up by this industry

Co Sign.

very well stated! and its actually the main reason im kinda apprehensive about hiring a "coach" a few of my friends that work with coaches....only really seem to be taking more drugs...per advice of said coach

Quote Originally Posted by mpjans0578 View Post
    Co Sign.
    That's why I only trust two people to help me. Matt and Bill. Both you know pretty well, Allen.

Great post. A good coach will get you in shape and stage ready without jeopardizing your health. Anyone can tell someone to "just increase this".

RX MEMBER

OP:

Competitive bodybuilding is about winning, not health. It is about as safe as car racing, and a bit more dangerous than competing in MMA.

I tell everyone that up front. Think long and hard about the decision to get onstage. Don't do it "just to see how you would do", or "test the waters" or motivate yourself to "get serious about your diet and training."

All your friends will buy tickets to see you at the night show, however placings are made at pre-judging. Only the top 5 make the night show. They will parade everyone out for 2 seconds, and that is the only moment your friends will see you.

I try and make all my guys get labs, I actually have most prep on 4K calories a day (cycling carbs) and doing lots of cardio. Many guys run 3-4 grams of gear a week, and the pros run more. Now I will say this, if you run 2.5 grams you can beat someone running 4.

I was working with a guy running 2 grams a week for 4 years straight!! I tried everything I could to get him down to 400 mgs of test a week, but he refused. He worked up to 4 grams in his contest prep.

But here is the thing: He trains like an 11 year old school girl, and that is unfair to 11 year old school girls.

I tried training with him, we started on narrow grip lat pulldowns, 130 lbs for 14 reps. I bumped up tp 180, then 220 then 240, all 12-15 reps. When I was younger, I got 14 reps w/ 300.

He did 130 lbs, 10 rps for his first set. He then did the same weight and rep schema for the rest of the pulldown, wide and narrow. This is a 250 lb man at 6% bfat.

The point is, you must bust your ass and give everything if you want to compete. Even for a local show, you will want to run a gram of test and a total of at least 1600 mgs a week. And T3 (you MUST know how to use it....it must be titrated down) and beta agonists.

RX MEMBER

Thought you guys might find this interesting;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UmJVgEWZu4

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

I think you have to have more posts before I can "Rep" you......or else I would. It took me until was 30 before I learned "More is not always better" and that means in all things and areas of your life.

Good post.
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

A coach must be trusted. However, many people forget trust is earned.
    Training and diet consulting available. Send me a PM.