Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Starting over once again

For those of you that have not heard yet I lived thru a massive heart attack while bleeding profusly into my stomach from a ruptured vein in my espoghus. (Can't spell sorry)

I was feeling sick for a few days thinking I had the flu. Monday morning I got up and sat on the porch feeling so bad I wondered how I was going to go to the gym and train my clients. Mondays I have 8 hrs booked solid. I gathered myself and trained my first girl ok. Then after about 30 minutes I told the second girl, If I stay any longer I may puke on you. So I made a dash for the door and drove myself home, all along thinking I had the flu. Later to find out I was sick from so much blood in my stomach.

I kinda rested the rest of the day and slept in our spare bedroom so I wouldn't disturb Lisa from so many visits to the bathroom. I keep feeling like throwing up but nothing would come out. Around 3 AM I sat up on the side of the bed thinking it's got to come out either end I don't care. That's when I passed out hitting my head on the nite stand on the way down to the floor. Thank god I did because the commotion woke Lisa up.

The rest of this story is morbid, if you are skimish stop reading here. This is the only place I'm recording these events. I remember lying on the floor alone thinking I am dying. I was soaked and couldn't breath hardly at all. I started to feel at peace and thinking yes you are going now and it's ok. I've had a wonderful life and it's my time. I remember only seeing a fading grey color and was drifting off when this voice starting screaming in my ear, "wake up, don't you leave me" It was my soul mate, Lisa getting into her nurse mode and keeping me breathing until the ambulance arrived. Once they got me in the ambulance they asked which hospital I wanted to go to and I remember him saying, "you won't make that far." Annoyed, I responded, to the closet hospital then! I am very thankful to those two guys who keep me alive long enough to get to the hospital.

The rest of this is an account from Lisa because I don't remember any of it. As soon as the ambulance arrived and they started wheeling me through the parking lot I finally threw up. According to the doctors it was around 2 pints of blood and clots. Lisa was following in the car so she didn't see this happen. Once they got me into the procedure room I was pretty much dead. Once Lisa walked in they asked her if she wanted to see me but warned her I probaly was already gone and she may not want to see me in my condition. She told him to give her a minute to decide. Then she asked him if there was any chance that I could live. He told her very slim but yes a chance. She said, " then I want to see him."

She said when she got in there all that visible was my face that they had me covered in layers of blankets that was covered in blood as well as my face. This part of this is paraphrased by the surgeon. He said the delima was that I was bleeding so bad from a ruptured vein in my esophgus that they couldnt insert stints into the heart to open up the 100% closed aorta valve. Apparently they normally administer blood thinners to do this so you wont bleed to death but since I was already bleeding to death adding blood thinners would certainly kill me. So what they did was administer the thinners into IV on and off. They would add then for a few seconds will the heart surgeon worked then cut it off while the GI surgeon worked on the bleeding vein. Using this technique was pretty ingenious and you could tell as he was describing it to me was pretty proud of this procedure.

Stayed in ICU for 3 days trying to get my blood count back up without eating any food so not to disturb the newly cotrized vein. Awesome nursing staff at this hospital. Later found out that this particular hospital has the best cardiac unit it town. These nurses did a hella of a job with me, always hovering over me trying to keep me comfortable. Those 3 days I heard, "we don't know if he's going to make to or not" way too many times.

A friend from the gym boldly snuck into the no visitors ICU with this ballon in pic that's says it's a girl! He came up there and made me laugh which gave me some hope.

I came home last night after 2 more days in a regular cardiac room. I am very weak from the loss of blood. My blood count is somewhere in the low 7 range where 12 is normal.

Bottom line as my daughter said it will take more than this to bring my Dad down. I will be back and stronger than ever. I just need to do some research and come up with a plan. I am still facing knee replacement surgery in August then open heart surgery right after that so got to deal with that first.
    In the mean time I will walk and walk and walk.post HA 2014.jpgThe pic is me leaving the hospital without a wheelchair hitting my bicep pose without a pump (haha)

I will be back.

Damn Hammer. So glad you're OK.

That's how my wife passed, from a ruptured vein in her esophagus. Reading that was like reliving that account 12 yrs. ago.

You're a luck guy, in many ways.
    Last edited by Mac; 05-10-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

Esophageal varices , bad business. I am a Respiratory Therapist, we run Ventilators (Life support) and I have seen this turn out bad many times. Seems like your health or "Toughness" brought you through.....good luck with the rest of your recovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_varices
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

Jeeze man, thank goodness you have the opportunity to start over, too many aren't able to. I certainly feel for you as I am starting chemo for 6 months for vasculitis(?) and too many other drugs to keep it in remission, but I'll take mine over yours LOL. Also had knee replacement last august as well. So, most assuredly, you have my thoughts and support, take it easy, do it right and show us how its done. The best to you,.

Count your blessings. You are still here for a purpose. Glad you are still with us brother. God takes care of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    Esophageal varices , bad business. I am a Respiratory Therapist, we run Ventilators (Life support) and I have seen this turn out bad many times. Seems like your health or "Toughness" brought you through.....good luck with the rest of your recovery.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_varices
    And Lisa!

Wishing you a full (most important) and speedy recovery!

I'm so glad to hear you're doing better Mike, I will keep you in my prayers. No doubt you will be back better than ever, you are tougher than anyone I know!

So glad you are ok my man!!! Lisa is amazing and so are you!.

Quote Originally Posted by CHILDOFGOD View Post
    GIVE JESUS ALL THE GLORY, HE LIVES N U AND THX HIM THX!!! satan tried to take u out BUT NOT!!!! LOVE LIVES 4EVER. I AM VERY BLESSED TO SEE U BACK
    Curt this is trolling for real come on.

glad to hear you're ok Hammer!
    "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: while we were yet sinners Christ died for us."
    – Romans 5:8

https://www.facebook.com/48PhysiqueEnhancement

Thank GOD, you are ok, Mike ....Lisa,you are one amazing woman. I'm praying for you, buddy, but I know you'll be back better than ever.

Keith

Update 5/12/14

Got home and started having chest pains and shortness of breath. Back to the ER. Gotta say this was a cool experience this time. 6 different people that had worked on saving me the previous trip came in and talked to me. My nickname around the hospital is "Walking Dead"! One young EMT that helped revived me came up and said, "you are the toughest guy I've ever seen, I'm amazed and happy to see you alive"

Had several test run and was admitted for observation. Got to talk to the Heart Doc in the morning. He thinks either (a) the stints are clotting because we cant use blood thinners because of the bleed or (b) the wall of the bad artery further down is collapsing or (c) the older stints I had are failing. So in a couple hours back in cath lab I go. He hopes adding another stint will resolve the problem. I have to be prepared for the worse that if it is worse than that they will do open hearts surgery and replace the artery.

Ive had some serious conversations with my family and have succumbed to the fact that my heavy lifting days are over. I will adjust and come up with a plan to continue my bodybuilding. Im not ready to give up.

I'll update tomorrow. I got nothing else to do!

Hammer

Bro you are a fucking monster! Im sure you will beat this and be back in the gym in no time. As for heavy lifting dont even worry about it, just lighten the weights and do SUPER high reps like 50. We are all here supporting you!

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

"Ain't nothing over till it's over"......."It is OK to be a little scared", Good luck.

Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

I am thankful you are still with us Mike. You and my mom are the toughest two people I have ever known. As someone else stated, you are still here for a reason. You inspire & motivate more people than you will ever realize.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast