Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Wishing you 100% health this year, Sassy.

Same here.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Much appreciated you guys!

I just scheduled an appt w/ an orthopedic guy who specializes in Foot/Ankle stuff to see about non-invasive solutions to Morton's Neuromas. My appt is a few weeks off, but I'm really interested to see what my options are. I've been dealing w/ these things for more than 3 years and they are TEH SUKC
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Much appreciated you guys!

I just scheduled an appt w/ an orthopedic guy who specializes in Foot/Ankle stuff to see about non-invasive solutions to Morton's Neuromas. My appt is a few weeks off, but I'm really interested to see what my options are. I've been dealing w/ these things for more than 3 years and they are TEH SUKC
    Hope it goes great!! You are due some good fortune with this
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Granite-Dawg View Post
    Hope it goes great!! You are due some good fortune with this
    It would be a huge move forward if I can get this stuff fixed w/ no side effects. The invasive surgeries where they go in & literally cut out the scarred up nerve sounds like it produces significantly more issues, so that's not an option.

Will update as I learn more!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Really hopeful for you with this orthopedic guy!

I'm all about exhausting the non-invasive options before going for surgery. And I agree with you that that surgery in particular sounds like it's stirring up more trouble than it's fixing.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

I remembered you have foot issues, I was just hoping there was a way you could overcome them. Good luck.
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

This particular surgery is a NO WAY IN HELL, so no worries there. But the couple non-invasive ones I've been reading about don't look bad at all.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Please keep us updated Jill. I'll be rooting for you on this. Hope the non invasive cures takes care of the pain and misery.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

Keep us posted - have some foot issues of my own I've been TRYING to AVOID the mention of surgery!!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!
    ~Lorrie ~ Mediocrity is NOT an option! ~

Quote Originally Posted by PFEPerformance View Post
    Keep us posted - have some foot issues of my own I've been TRYING to AVOID the mention of surgery!!

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!
    Thanks PF! I'm getting impatient - the last podiatrist I talked to in Chicago was sort of a dick, so I haven't pursued anything. I was able to keep the pain mostly under control, but its just still there and not going away. I'm really interested to find out what my options are - particularly this cryo ablation.

Here's a page on the various non-invasive approaches: http://www.mortonsneuroma.com/non-su...rtons-neuroma/
    ~Jack Lalanne

Thurs - 1/22/15

It's been a while since the last gym trip, due to some long work days and getting my neck completely messed up handing out bananas for nearly 8 hrs at the end of of a local marathon last weekend - some 20-25K runners. I wasn't liking the squat / push / pull much because it was hard to get an open squat rack / bench / pull area - when you're only doing 3 things and there aren't really any alternative things you can do. Anyway, again, just searching for something I don't hate doing in the gym, so I went and called it Chest / Tris day. Back to the basic split.

Chest / Tris:
    shoulder wu
    machine "flatbench" press: 65/15 80/15 95/8 x 3
    incline bench: bar/10 65/10 85/10 105/3 85/5 x 2
    * screwed around trying to find a "fly" motion for a good 10 min - all the cable machines occupied, pec deck broken and literally 15 sets of DBs ranging from 5 to 25 just gone. A couple in use but most just gone. WTF? *
    super:
    - cable fly: 25/10 x 5
    - std pushup: 5 x 5 --- THIS was probably the highlight of the day - for the last several months my shoulder just craps out and I do nearly do a face plant on 1 attempt. Got 4-5 reasonably "normal" reps ... very happy w/ that.
    Now trying to find an ezbar around 40-50 lb (note everything below 70 lbs is in use or gone) so I tried a DB OH ext - yea .. Immediately jacked the left side of my neck. That hasn't ever happened before.
    super:
    - ezbar skull crushers: 50/8 x 3
    - close grip press: 50/10 x 3
    machine tri ext: 30/30 50/10 60/10 x 3
    super:
    - cable tri press down: 60/10 x 4
    - alt cable tri kickback: 15/10 x 4

stretch
    watching tv w/ a new heating pad on my neck .

So .. was it a good night? I dunno. Can't stand when people don't put their shit back. I swear I spent more time wandering around trying to find eqpt. But I at least I got to the gym & moved some sorta heavy stuff around
    ~Jack Lalanne

Wow...your gym reminds me of my gym. It's like a freakin' scavenger hunt trying to find DB pairs and bars. I also walk into the gym finding 10 45lb plates on the leg press or 95lb DBs just smack in the middle of the floor.

You would think at least the gm staff would try to keep up the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaRD23 View Post
    Wow...your gym reminds me of my gym. It's like a freakin' scavenger hunt trying to find DB pairs and bars. I also walk into the gym finding 10 45lb plates on the leg press or 95lb DBs just smack in the middle of the floor.

You would think at least the gm staff would try to keep up the organization.
    There isn't much that drives me more nuts than DBs randomly left out in the middle of the floor, except when they are just plain missing. I'll shuttle DBs up to 100 lb back to the rack, but when dipshits leave 140's laying around ... really? Are you trying to demonstrate how big your dick is, or just how big a dick you are?

Anyway ... I also learned you're supposed to be working off your stress and frustration at the gym, not increasing it. And I always manage to hurt something when I'm more worked up just trying to get my workout done ... I'm due to see my chiropractor again tomorrow and really looking forward to it. And also 1 week to seeing the orthopedic guy about my feet .... should be interesting!
    ~Jack Lalanne

Good luck to you in all those areas!
    Hope the foot appointment goes well

Thx Lisa!

So I had the appt this morning... definitely enlightening ...

It started w/ taking x-rays in 3 different perspectives of my right foot, being the "worse" of the two, and assuming the issue was the same on both feet. He poked at it a bit and did what is the universal "click" test for neuromas. In his opinion, I don't have neuromas. No click. Instead, he diagnosed "metatarsal overload". (Good ref: http://www.footeducation.com/foot-an...metatarsalgia/)

This means, normally a well-balanced foot should distribute the force of weight evenly across all 5 toes and their joints into the ball of the foot. For a couple structural reasons, only the 2nd & 3rd are taking all the weight and the big toe and the two little toes aren't contributing. This is due to two reasons: my 2nd & 3rd toes are longer than "usual" - so the joints connecting into the ball of the foot for all toes should normally be a straight line across, but mine is more of a curve, w/ the higher part of the curve on the 2nd & 3rd toes. Thus the common point of weight bearing (like where you step off a normal step, or go up on your toes) hits that upper point first - thus those two toes & their joints are taking on an extra 3/5 of the total force of a step. The second contributor is that apparently I have somewhat "loose joints" - sure it's great to flexible, but in some cases, some of the stability that should be there, isn't. In this case, the stability is lost along the length of the big toe & 2 little toe metatarsals (across the short width of the foot). SO that further contributes to those 3 toes not doing much towards overall weight bearing.

I think this describes the issue better w/ pictures:

Non-operative treatment of metatarsalgia is often successful. Treatment principles include:

1. Making the correct diagnosis and addressing the underlying cause of the symptom.
    2. Diminishing the repetitive loading through the forefoot
    3. Dispersing the loading on the forefoot over a wider area.

Figure 1: Typical Pain location Figure 2: Localized forefoot load

End result: it's a structural issue. There's an extreme surgery option that involves rebreaking my big toe and the bunion surgery I had 25 yrs ago and literally shortening the 2nd & 3rd toes to move the joint to the ball of the foot back in line w/ the rest of the toe joints. Yea, that's not going to happen. So all there is to do is "manage it" - meaning I'm going to explore a custom full-length (i.e. not 3/4 length) orthotic w/ a custom "hump" positioned under that point where the 2nd & 3rd toe joints to the ball of the foot are bearing all the weight - which is supposed to help redistribute the weight. Basically a standard orthotic w/ an additional piece at the ball of the foot, or like a metatarsal pad. I've used things like this before and sort of really hate them because it's just that more shit inside your shoe that can make them tight. I already own some 15 prs of various tennis / running / crosstraining shoes so I'm not interested in running out to get more "really roomy" shoes to accommodate this.

Here's an example of an OTC orthotic w/ metatarsal padding: http://www.footwearetc.com/foot-heal....TcUL1Pq8.dpbs

Anyway ... sort of bummed it's not something I could just get fixed and be done with. I just have to deal w/ it for the rest of my life. Which means continued limitation on doing things like plyometrics, jumping around, anything that has a lot of pressure on the ball of the foot, and even simple things like doing a "downward dog" in yoga. I guess on the lighter side, I don't have to pop for the cost of any sort of surgery or non-surgery option.

Anti-climactic day. Next step is schedule an appt w/ the custom orthotic guy and find out what my ins will cover - I think these typically go for around $1K these days. And just generally learn to suck it up and "manage" it.
    Last edited by sassy69; 02-11-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast