Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
Results 166 to 173 of 173
  1. #166
    Super Moderator sassy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plate Junkie
    Posts
    10,630
    Rep Power
    2147946

    Default

    So, still dragging ass when it comes to getting into the gym, but definitely continuing to have foot issues and my right arm is just perpetually sore. Dunno about that.

    On the brighter side, I met w/ the custom orthotic guy to get evaluated for a new orthotic. Very chatty guy who a huge background in pro & collegiate team (particularly hockey) sports health & eqpt recommendations. Very chatty guy ...lol VERY chatty. But really interesting. He said I was a "classic case" of supinated foot - basically I walk on the sides of my feet and roll in over the ball, which all ties into the general structure of my foot and a bunch of the stuff the orthopedic guy said earlier. And because I'm a "classic" case, he claims his orthotic will easily fix everything.

    We'll know next Wed when I pick them up.

    * hope hope hope *
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne



  2. #167
    TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    VEGAS
    Posts
    12,590
    Rep Power
    2148012

    Default

    I had a pair of orthodics and accidentally threw them away with an old pair of boots.
    Just curious as to why you can only get them with a prescription
    After all they are really just pieces of plastic
    CutlerAthletics.com

    CutlerNutrition.com

  3. #168
    Super Moderator sassy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plate Junkie
    Posts
    10,630
    Rep Power
    2147946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    I had a pair of orthodics and accidentally threw them away with an old pair of boots.
    Just curious as to why you can only get them with a prescription
    After all they are really just pieces of plastic
    There are many decent OTC orthotics - I've been using Powerstep orthotics for the last 7-8 years. I had a custom set made like 25 years ago, but they were rigid and cost about $600 back then. They also make custom non-rigid ones that are cheaper, but my podiatrists always said they don't last all that long, etc. But the point is that I was born w/ a certain foot structure that isn't stable and the orthotics will help reposition how my foot hits the ground when I stand / walk. All of that helps to manage the weight distribution of my body across the whole foot , the way it was designed to work, instead of the unbalanced way it works now that puts a whole lot of the stress on one area instead of across the whole foot.

    I don't know that you necessarily need a prescription except for insurance purposes that they were recommended by an expert for a medically diagnosed issue. The real purpose is to get a custom fit to address the specific issue I have.

    All I can say is given that I've had foot problems since I was 15, and it's only getting worse w/ age, I'd rather spend the bucks on custom stuff if it fixes the issue. After the last 4 1/2 years I've been dealing w/ all of the various imbalances in my body w/ a lot of cash to doctors and a lot of general pain and huge impact to my enjoyment of the gym, I have a much greater respect for the mechanics of the body and the importance of maintaining a good balance.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne



  4. #169
    Super Moderator sassy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plate Junkie
    Posts
    10,630
    Rep Power
    2147946

    Default

    2/28/15 - End of this thread

    Orthotic update:

    I got my new orthotics this past Wednesday. One thing that blew me away was that I paid $179 when I did the evaluation & the fitting. I figured that was the cost for the evaluation & the fitting, and there'd be a final cost when I actually picked them up. Nope. The full cost was the flat $179. The guy mills his own stuff - he said he wanted to cut out the middle man, and just get people the stuff they need to fix their issues at a flat cost. NICE!

    The orthotics themselves are not rigid and the guy said they had a shelf-life of 3-4 yrs, but technically you shouldn't use them longer than 2.5 yrs because your foot will have already conformed & adapted to the new shape, so you should get a re-evaluation at that point. The guy said within a year my foot issues should be accommodated and things heading in the right direction. (WOHOO!)

    For anyone in AZ looking for orthotics, HIGHLY recommend The Sole Man, LLC!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne



  5. #170
    Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    2147721

    Default

    I saw your new thread so I will say good bye to your "Old Beginning" here. I turn 50 in 2 weeks and competed for the first time in 1980 so I feel as if we are kind of like kindred spirits?

    Prepping now for my first show since later 2009 and it feels great. I have done so MANY shows that that long of a break does not even feel like a big deal. I am betting that is how it will be for you too?
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

  6. #171
    Super Moderator sassy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plate Junkie
    Posts
    10,630
    Rep Power
    2147946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    I saw your new thread so I will say good bye to your "Old Beginning" here. I turn 50 in 2 weeks and competed for the first time in 1980 so I feel as if we are kind of like kindred spirits?

    Prepping now for my first show since later 2009 and it feels great. I have done so MANY shows that that long of a break does not even feel like a big deal. I am betting that is how it will be for you too?
    Definitely! I had a 4 year break between my 1st & 2nd shows (Aug, Nov 2000) and the third (2005), then I went pretty heavy from 2007 - 2010, and then hit a massive wall just as I was gearing up to hit the "ultimate training season" eyeballing an epic Nationals showing in 2011. Instead, I just pretty much shut down. Now again, another 4 years later, I miss the structure in my day, the daily outlet and feeling of accomplishment, and knowing that I am always getting better. It's been 4 years of literally day by day existence trying to find a place to get a foothold and move forward.

    Considering I've done most of my own prep or just had shitball experiences w/ coaches that should not have been part of my journey to the stage, I'm just burnt on trying to do it myself, particularly because much of what I'm dealing with (aging, soft tissue problems), I just don't know how to deal with - so I'm dying for someone to pull it all together for me. I want a "good" experience this time around. I miss being "in the zone", being comfortable in my own skin and being motivated to wake up in the morning & wear something besides sweats. I miss feeling like I look like what I feel like I've earned. I miss being part of the "gymrat" community. I miss just being around people who get me. It's been a long time. I also feel like I have a lot to bring to the WPD stage ... this is something I've been dying to do - bring my own posing experience to the stage, put together a new routine. There's never a time when I'm NOT listening to music w/ the stage in mind.

    If I don't, all I'm doing is watching more years fly by, and it's not like I have a lot of those to just throw away. There's a lot riding on this effort ... as they say, "Welcome to your life ... time to live it."
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne



  7. #172
    OLYMPIAN Sunnyday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Forest Hill, MD
    Posts
    9,903
    Rep Power
    2147904

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Definitely! I had a 4 year break between my 1st & 2nd shows (Aug, Nov 2000) and the third (2005), then I went pretty heavy from 2007 - 2010, and then hit a massive wall just as I was gearing up to hit the "ultimate training season" eyeballing an epic Nationals showing in 2011. Instead, I just pretty much shut down. Now again, another 4 years later, I miss the structure in my day, the daily outlet and feeling of accomplishment, and knowing that I am always getting better. It's been 4 years of literally day by day existence trying to find a place to get a foothold and move forward.

    Considering I've done most of my own prep or just had shitball experiences w/ coaches that should not have been part of my journey to the stage, I'm just burnt on trying to do it myself, particularly because much of what I'm dealing with (aging, soft tissue problems), I just don't know how to deal with - so I'm dying for someone to pull it all together for me. I want a "good" experience this time around. I miss being "in the zone", being comfortable in my own skin and being motivated to wake up in the morning & wear something besides sweats. I miss feeling like I look like what I feel like I've earned. I miss being part of the "gymrat" community. I miss just being around people who get me. It's been a long time. I also feel like I have a lot to bring to the WPD stage ... this is something I've been dying to do - bring my own posing experience to the stage, put together a new routine. There's never a time when I'm NOT listening to music w/ the stage in mind.

    If I don't, all I'm doing is watching more years fly by, and it's not like I have a lot of those to just throw away. There's a lot riding on this effort ... as they say, "Welcome to your life ... time to live it."
    I'm reading this just nodding my head at every other sentence! I loved working with a coach and while I have pulled it off on my own I would prefer to have someone else in the driver's seat pulling it all together for me!

    And x2 on having the mind on stage music. Really relieved to know I'm not the only one who has done this!

    I'm so excited to see what the next season of your life brings! Looking forward to cheering you on to the stage!
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/


    https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

  8. #173
    Super Moderator sassy69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Plate Junkie
    Posts
    10,630
    Rep Power
    2147946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    I'm reading this just nodding my head at every other sentence! I loved working with a coach and while I have pulled it off on my own I would prefer to have someone else in the driver's seat pulling it all together for me!

    And x2 on having the mind on stage music. Really relieved to know I'm not the only one who has done this!

    I'm so excited to see what the next season of your life brings! Looking forward to cheering you on to the stage!
    Thx girl!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne



Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •