Default How much do you spend, or rent your bikini for a show?

My coach said it may be better to rent a suit for 200 thats a 2k suit than to buy one, but I have been looking online and I see you can buy ones for slightly more than 200, high waist for figure. I am doing two of my first shows this year. Also, where do you guys get yours? Can you get deals like on ebay?

How early before the show should I get my npc card?

and how early do you get a base tan for the show? I am thinking like for weeks out

Also, new here so I hope this is the right section! sorry if its is not

IFBB PRO, Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

You can rent suits from many suit makers online or you can check out some of the Facebook groups for the NPC/IFBB and a lot of times girls will post up suits they no longer are wearing for you to buy or rent. Tamee Marie makes great suits!

You don't have to base tan..spray tanning will get you dark enough!

As for your NPC card the sooner the better because you start receiving the NPC News magazine which can give you great ideas for suits, hair, makeup..etc...

well I thought I was going to do novice bikini, but since I am short with no hips, and big shoulders (according to my coach they are big lol) and lean before cutting around 15 % I am more fit for figure, and it will be the novice figure, seeing how this is my first competition,

I will get on that npc card then, I always love tips! and the advice I have gotten so far is dont make your hair super big, cause it will make you look smaller, dont look like a drag queen, although I was debating lashes, get a dark bikini, dark green, blue or red.

http://www.saleyla.com/deep-green-sp...html?cPath=1_2

I think thats the one me and my coach are gunna go with. my hair is redish, so I think green will look good,

do you guys get the 5' clear heals with a strap or with out.

and I keep practicing posing every time i pass the mirror in my house lol, I cant be the only one that does this right? flare the lats, dead hands, heals together slightly point out the toes, smile! the smile is the easiest cause in dance/cheer/ and gymnastics 10 plus years growing up we had to learn to do that,
    Last edited by insatiable; 07-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.

I don't think we have any "checklist" threads for getting ready for a competition. I did find at least one "checklist" thread for "Packing for a competition" that may spur some other ideas:

http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...ight=checklist

Here's a checklist for "getting ready for competition" off the top of my head:

1) Get your NPC card. It's good for the year so there's no downside to getting it early. RE: getting it the day of the show, you really need to confirm that w/ the promoter of your particular show as I've been at shows where this is NOT the case. You're SOL if you assume it and its the wrong assumption. Just get the card so you don't have to worry about it.

2) Review the requirements for your target show - e.g. NPC card, photo ID, sometimes a birth certificate / proof of citizenship is required, fee & due date.

3) Suit selection - I'd say what you found is a good option. There's really no need to drop 2 months worth of paycheck on a suit your first time out. It is useful to get a suit that will be custom fit for you because a poorly fitted suit can ruin all your work w/a saggy ass or just not sitting right. IMO particularly in Figure because there isn't a lot of posing that makes up judging criteria. It is really helpful to look online for competition pictures of someone w/ your coloring and the color suit you want. Keep in mind that you will be under a very dark fake tan, so what looks good on a mannequin can look washed out or not stand out well w/ the dark tan. Also you may even be able to contact the suit maker and send a photo and ask for color recommendations.

4) Fake tan. Back when I did "manual" tan application (i.e. not competition spray on services), I would get a base tan starting probably 4 weeks out. I'm a light skinned blonde so I don't maintain a tan all the time and am not a huge fan of tanning booths if I don't need them, so I keep it to a min. These days, I think the best dollars you spend as part of competition prep is to hire whatever is the "official" tanning service of whatever show you are doing. I've had excellent results from all of the tanning services that have been available - Jan Tana, Liquid Sunrayz and Protan. I also keep face makeup (foundation) that matches whichever is the taning service I've hired. (Jan Tana makes a matching foundation you can get on their website, MAC makes a foundation that matches Protan, etc.) The tanning service typically schedules you the night before / morning of, and does an amazing job of coverage and touch up so you don't have to spend 3 days putting on 6 layers or hoping you didn't miss a spot, etc. And having the foundation allows you to touch up spots of you do need to. And also I use the foundation on my face instead of getting the spray tan. In my experience, putting the spray tan on my face - it dries and can start to crack over the course of the day. Or if you are under heavy lights or there's poor air circulation in the backstage area, I tend to sweat and the sweat lines can show up as "runs" in your tan. And lastly the foundation will come off a lot easier when it is all over.

5) For Figure - the strapless shoes are a lot easier to get on & off, but if you're not comfortable with walking in them, the straps keep the shoes on so you don't have to worry about it. All my competition is in FBB and never had to wear the shoes, but it seems to me that most beginners use the strap shoes. That said, there's nothing that says you can't get one of each. It is good to have a spare pair, both for practice as well as to have a backup pair in case something stupid happens on show day and your primary pair get lost / fucked up/ whatever. These are the ones I usually tell people to get:

http://www.snaz75.com/el-m-vanity.html

OR

http://www.snaz75.com/el-m-brook.html

OR, if you like 'em snazzy

http://www.snaz75.com/el-m-jewel.html

Also sign up at snaz75 for their emails - they have 15-20% off sales over the course of the year. Never hurts to pick up a spare pair when they are on sale if you plan to continue competing. And yes, other places sell them, but Snaz75 has been very consistent w/ their products & delivery and these are definitely the shoes you want to get.

And once you get the shoes, practice practice practice walking in them. Back and forth and back and forth. Up stairs and down stairs as well as you can expect to hit some stairs somewhere on your way to or from the stage. You want "walking in the shoes" to be the LAST thing you have to worry about on show day. Should be second nature by the time you get there.

6) Posing. Pose often and post always. Review the photos of the previous year's competitors of your target shows. Get a feel for what the judges are judging for there. No guarantees of what they are going to reward, but there tend to be trends in how they judge from show to show. Also if you can get some of the competitor video, pay attention to how the winners walk, pose, quarter turn, present themselves. Basic things like, if you're going to do "long hair", make sure you can get it out of the way on your rear poses. Also the best if you can videotape yourself walking across a "stage" (e.g. a posing room or yoga room at your gym) as well as running through your mandatories and your T-walk so you can see how you tend to set up and pose. Also helps to see if you have any unconscious asymmetries in your posing. It was this way that I noticed I have a gimp right shoulder and have had to consciously learn how to accommodate that particular tendency so it doesn't show up as a blatant asymmetry in my posing. And also remember that when you're practicing posing, when you get on stage, you don't have a mirror in front of you to help "fix" whatever you tend to do. This is also the value of videotaping so you know in your mind how you're going to look on stage when you don't have the mirror in front of you. MASTER the posing so by the time you get to the stage, all the nerves and unknowns of doing your first show doesn't compound any lack of confidence in how you pose. It is really obvious when people are not comfortable walking in the shoes and also when they are so nervous they fiddle around w/ their posing or visibly shake. And God knows you don't want to be so nervous and self-conscious that you stumble. By the time you get to stage day, all you need to do is get yourself up on the stage and enjoy it. Everything else should be so well rehearsed that it is habit and you have no concern about "how" you looked.

7) Makeup: You may want to hire a makeup artist for your show. If that is not an option, then you do want to practice your makeup. You actually do want to put on enough makeup that you look like a drag queen because you're going to be covered in dark tan under harsh lighting on a stage w/ who knows how many other women. LACK of makeup will make you look washed out on stage. That's what happened to me at my first show and I learned quick to do it better. I went to the MAC counter w/ my foundation and had one of the makeup people there help me put together my whole "do" with consideration to needing to have "stage makeup" w/ the dark tan and bad lighting. It is really worth it IMO. I've had bad experiences when I pay other people to do my makeup, so I made damn sure I could do my own if I needed it.

8) Hair - this is something you can play with on your own time to find out what you want to do. Keep in mind that once you get the first layer of fake tan on, you probably aren't going to get to take any more showers or wash your hair. For my last couple shows, I got extensions which i just loved. I also decided how I wanted my hair done ahead of time and had all the pins, curlers, etc. that I might need. A note if you have long hair and you're going to keep your hair down, LET THE SPRAY TAN DRY BEFORE YOU DROP YOUR HAIR ON IT! LOLZ! One year I got a base layer sprayed on and decided i was going to go down early for weigh-in (FBB) and did my hair in a long braid and dropped it on my back before the tan was dry. Yep - I had a nice line down my back where the braid landed, and a blonde braid w/ a brown stripe down the middle. So definitely keep in mind the "order of things" on show day so you don't end up fucking up your tan.

Can't think of anything else right now. Practice posing and set up time to practice posing on a daily basis as you get closer. Even in Figure you want to be able to hold a pose for a while w/o looking like you're working hard. Controlled but relaxed is the key. Work on how you pull out a nice wide shoulder and V-taper w/o looking like you're going to give birth. Don't bend over so far that you look like you're going to take off on the rear poses. Work on your transitions between quarter turns and your final model poses. Work on your eye contact while you're doing your posing - you'd want to look at every judge across the panel. (But not like you're giving them the Evil Eye or staring at them or anything LOL!) Even the simple act of regular posing helps to tighten you up as you dial into show day, particularly the last few days after you will have stopped training & cardio and just doing posing.

Can't think of anything else now.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne