Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Default Granite-Dawg is Rx Muscle Member of the Month for August 2014!

Granite-Dawg is Rx Muscle's Member of the Month for August 2014!

Granite-Dawg has been a member of Rx Muscle Forums since February 2013 and recently topped 1,000 posts. His training journal tells the tale of his transformation from 327 lbs. in his mid 30's to his current 224 lbs. Let's learn some more about Granite-Dawg!

Granite-Dawg, how did you get involved in the iron game?

I was introduced to the weights at 11 years old. I would ride my bike or skateboard by this gym in the basement of this old store and see these huge men lifting and listening to loud music, and it intrigued me at a young age to say the least.
    I was raised by my Grandparents, so I finally asked at supper one evening about going and to my surprise they agreed. The next day, my Grandmother drove me up there because she wanted to speak to the owner. He assured her he would look out for me and I would be okay. They took me and treated me as an equal from day one. To this day he and I are good friends.

What’s your focus, bodybuilding, strongman, or powerlifting?

Bodybuilding and Powerlifting are my favorite aspects of the iron game. They have many similarities, but no one on either side wants to admit that.
    I have not competed in bodybuilding, but have competed in powerlifting. I held all four national raw records in the 240 lbs. weight class in the APC a few years ago. But they have been wiped out now.

Granite-Dawg has dropped from 327 lbs. to 224 lbs. That's called walking the walk!

If you continue to work with Jordan Coburn aka Cobe, would you consider taking a shot at a bodybuilding competition?

I will consider a bodybuilding contest in the future, possibly next year. I am not getting any younger and would like to bring up some weaker areas more in my physique. I do plan on continuing to work with Jordan as long as he will coach me.

You said you weighed 300-plus in your mid 30's. How old are you now? And how tall are you?

I am 37 now and all of 5'10". Never could crack 6'.

What’s your favorite part of the sport?

My favorite thing about bodybuilding is the inner drive it takes to do it. I am not genetically gifted, but I am gifted with a “never freaking say die or quit” mentality. I believe our minds are what can help us most in this endeavor.

You'll have to check out the new subforum "Mindset" in Rx Strength Headquarters. What do you believe created or fostered your never-say-die attitude?

My Grandfather would never let me quit anything. He was big on commitment, and said if you sign up for anything you see it through. My offensive line coach in high school also pushed me hard, and told me I will never quit on you so you can never quit on me. I also hate to lose, and in team sports I don't demonstrate the best sportsmanship.

What’s your least favorite aspect?

My least favorite thing about bodybuilding is that when many of us see someone larger that ourselves we immediately start making up reasons why they are bigger… like “all drugs, superior genetics,” or “he is so short he has to be big,” etc. How about that guy has probably worked his ass off, and gets it all right?

Why do you think this sport seems to have more haters or critics than others?

You have haters in all sports, but scoreboards don't lie. You hear all kinds of excuses like the refs cheated etc., but if you look at everyone on the team there are plays and moments where someone could have done something better in order to win.

Do you think it's basically the same in other sports?

Bodybuilding seems to have more people that want to make excuses rather than put in the time. You can see it in any gym in the world. Some just want to say I go to the gym, and others want to be the top dog at their gym but in reality very few are willing to do what it takes. I just believe some people don't have whatever it takes mentally, so they make excuses, or make up reasons why they think others have to be doing something in the gray area.

What are your goals?

My goal in the next few months is to get as shredded as possible. I am currently under the guidance of Jordan Coburn. He has been an extreme pleasure to work with, and I have gained a good friend from this. He is leaning me out, and then he will flip the switch the other way and help me grow with control. I would also like to compete again in powerlifting before Christmas 2014.

What weight class?

I would like to compete around 240 or 250.

And what were your previous PRs?

Deadlift 585, Squat low box 595, and bench 405 for a triple. These were all training PR’s all raw.

What’s been your greatest success with the weights?

My greatest success is being back in this. I hit a bump in the road with my career in 2009, and was really hitting my stride in powerlifting. I had a great coach in David Van Brocklin, and was just making tremendous strides in strength. Then I had to make changes in order to support my family. I started a new business and am doing great now, but at the time I had to completely focus on getting off the ground. I quit lifting, started drinking every day, and ballooned to fat jiggly 327 lbs. So to be where I am today is a great personal success.

Granite-Dawg hitting the rack deads (photo from 7/16/2014)

Check out "GD'S Training Log" @ http://forums.rxmuscle.com/showthrea...s-Training-Log

You weighed 224 lbs. in your recent training journal entry. Do you have a goal weight or %BF you're shooting for?

I don't have a weight goal, and just want to get as lean as possible before heading back up.

What has been your greatest disappointment?

My greatest disappointment is that I love helping others, but no one seems to really want to hear the truth. I have been through over 20 training partners in the past two years, and they just don't stick. Maybe I am not a nice guy.

Maybe you're just a terror in the gym? Who was that one bodybuilder who took destroying training partners as a badge of honor? Maybe it was Steve Michalik.

I believe you are correct that it was Michalik that said that. I don't babysit people and if you are half assing it I will call you on it. I would want someone to call me out for not giving enough effort, so that's how I do my partners. I also don't want someone spotting me and trying to talk or pick up a girl while I am lifting, so that cuts a bunch out also. Hell, I am probably gonna lift alone for a long time.

Who are some of your favorite bodybuilders?

Lee Haney (Georgia boy and a great example of a champion), Dorian Yates and Mike Mentzer (training goes against conventional thinking at the time of their prime, but they did it their way).

Have you been able to meet Haney?

I have had the privilege of meeting Mr. Haney once at a bodybuilding contest in Atlanta. He was extremely polite, and we spoke for about 10 minutes. He is the epitome of a champion.

Lee Haney!

How about your favorite powerlifter?

Chuck Vogelpohl (just YouTube him and you will see why) Donnie Thompson, good guy and willing to help anyone, and strong as hell. Paul Anderson (Toccoa, Georgia boy who used his fame to start a boys’ home and prove how great a man he was).

Is there anyone you emulated when you started lifting?

Lee Haney was who I wanted to be like back then. It seemed he was on the cover of every magazine when I was a kid.

And who – if you had the chance – would you like to sit down with and pick their brain?

There are two people I would really like to meet… Dorian Yates and Louie Simmons. I would like to train at Temple Gym and Westside Barbell.

Louie Simmons!

What's one question you'd ask Dorian and one question you'd ask Louie Simmons?

I would ask them both the same question. What drives you or has driven you to be so successful.

What’s your perspective on supplements?

My perspective to each his own, but so many people need a supplement just to train. It really is a shame that they don't have true passion for the Iron Game.

How’s your training going?

My training is going extremely well. I am like a kid at Christmas every time I go to lift. Hell, I even enjoy cardio at this point.

What is the most effective or insane training you’ve incorporated into your workouts?

DC training is the craziest thing I have done, but I still implement aspects of DC training in my training sessions. I think Dante is an extremely intelligent person and passionate about bodybuilding. Bodyopus by Dan Duchaine was just freaking insane, but would you expect anything but from him? The depletion workout at the end of the week took me like three hours the first time I tried it.

Which supplement company does it right?

GAT and Species do it right in my opinion. Good quality is hard to find and both companies do that well.

Do you have a favorite TV show?

Sons Of Anarchy is my favorite TV show. I guess I'm a tough guy wannabe. LOL

Who's your favorite SOA character and which one would you kill off?

Jax and Gemma are my favorite. That's a tough question, but I hear Courtney Love is joining the cast, and to see her get killed off would be great.

What are the three most cherished parts of your life… what you absolutely couldn’t live without?

My Wife, my Daughters, and The University of Georgia football!! GOOOOOOOOO DAWGS!! SIC'EM WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF!!!

How did you find Rx Muscle Forums?

I found RX through Google one day, and decided I liked the content and signed up. Took me a while to post, but everyone has been a huge help here.

What do you like most about Rx Muscle?

My favorite part is Blue Collar Radio, and anything Chris Aceto and Dave contribute on. The members here are also great. Met a bunch of positive people here and that's a damn good quality that RX has.

How would you improve Rx Muscle?

The more interaction Dave seems to have the better, because he is such a wealth of knowledge and a highly respected individual. In my opinion he is why people are here.

What’s your nutrition like? Do you measure or keep track of your macros?

My current Macros look like this. Training days 270P/80F/250C, Off days 270P/80F/150C. Jordan may adjust them on my fat butt soon, though. I weigh and measure everything. Jordan actually made it so simple a dumb old country boy can follow it.

Okay, what about your favorite cheat meal?

Peanut butter, and fried chicken are my favorite foods. I could overdose on either one.

What do you like to do outside of the gym?

I enjoy coaching my daughters in sports. I enjoy taking them to dance (yes, I am a dance Dad. LOL). My family is my priority.

How about your favorite movie?

Halloween by John Carpenter, and Rob Zombie. Not sure why, but stalker slasher horror movies are my favorite. Could have had something to do with a Jamie Lee Curtis boob shot at a young age.

Love John Carpenter films and I'd never argue with a Jamie Lee boob shot. :-)

Can you share about your occupation?

I am a small business owner and have been very successful. I am a fourth generation salesman, and have a gift to be able to communicate with most anyone.

What motivates you?

I have always wanted to be the best at whatever I am doing. I am blessed with a ton of inner determination and drive to be the best.

What currently drives you nuts?

Sorry, lazy entitled people drive me nuts. I guess I am getting older because I can't stand people that just accept a handout and don't try to better themselves.

Do you have any hobbies?

I love the game of Golf. I don't get to play often anymore, but enjoy the challenge of the game. Drive for show and Putt for Dough.

How much did you weigh in that picture?

I would imagine I was around 325-335 lbs. There was about 30 beers a day and a good bit of moonshine involved in getting that damn fat.

And what's your handicap?

My handicap right now is an 18 or 20, but I was a 2 about six years ago. Back then I was seeing the green very well and my putter was hot.

Thank you for sharing some of your story, Granite-Dawg. From your journal, it looks like you're on the right track with Jordan Coburn and in the gym. And from this interview, it's apparent that you have a great perspective on family and life outside of the gym, too. I'm glad you're a member here. Congratulations on being named Rx Muscle Member of the Month! You're a prime example of someone with balance in his life.

Were those 30 beers a day at least good beers?

Congrats on the lifestyle change, and good job to both on the interview!
    Training / Prep / Off-season coach: Kevin McDowell / Extreme One
    Journal: Hoss06 Training Journal

Damn,sounds like we went went down the same road.Good on ya .
    Last edited by warthog; 08-01-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoss06 View Post
    Were those 30 beers a day at least good beers?

Congrats on the lifestyle change, and good job to both on the interview!
    I wish LOL I am a cheap skate. Keystone Light. I did enjoy some cold Miller High Life from time to time. Thanks !!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Damn,sounds like we went went down the same road.Good on ya .
    Thanks Brother!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Awesome and great story!

Congrats Granite-Dawg!!

Quote Originally Posted by PTB View Post
    Awesome and great story!

Congrats Granite-Dawg!!
    Thanks!!!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

GD is a strong motherfucker, Hard worker, dedicated husband and father and a truly great and humble guy. I'm proud to call him a friend and he;s an absolute pleasure to work with.

This is only the beginning!
    Last edited by Jordan Coburn; 08-01-2014 at 03:55 PM.

RX MEMBER

Dawg's in the house! Congrats Granite!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Coburn View Post
    GD is a strong motherfucker, Hard worker, dedicated husband and father and a truly great and humble guy. I'm proud to call him a friend and he;s an absolute pleasure to work with.

This is only the beginning!
    Thanks very much for the kind words Brother!! We are gonna do great things for sure!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    Dawg's in the house! Congrats Granite!
    Thank you!!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Congrats, GD!

Another great interview, Curt!
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

Congrats DAWG. Great transformation, you should be very proud.

Thank you Sunny and Mac!!!!
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

Congrats GD!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast