RX MEMBER

Default Underweight teen who wants to gain weight and muscles?

Hi I am a 13 year old boy and i weigh 88 pounds (40 kg) and 5 feet 4 inches (161 cm) and i want to gain weight and weigh 99 pounds (45 kg). I have a high metabolism. I don't have very much muscles so maybe this could be the cause. I know that if i only gain 2.2 pounds (1 kg) i would be healthy weight but i don't want to be at the border to underweight. And i have one more question. I want to buy some powder but i don't know what is better Whey protein, Weight gain or maybe Creatine
    Last edited by Curt James; 08-21-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: removed spam image

Food...

at 13 you dont need supplements, you need mom's home cooking.
    2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

No supplements, you are much to young.
    You need to figure out how many calories you eat and bump that number up by (around) 500 calories every 3-4 weeks until you start gaining weight. Then you can move the calories up or down depending on how much weight you gain. Eat high calories, low fat, plenty of veggies, and not too much red meat.

At your ht / wt, have you gone thru puberty yet? Not knowing what height your parents are to guess at an expected height, I'm guessing you will be hitting some significant growth spurts soon which will both grow your frame and allow you to start filling out.

Definitely don't be worrying about supplementing right now. Your body is at the phase where it is designed to grow like a monster. The best thing you can do is feed it w/ good quality stuff, and a lot of it to support that growth. And in the meantime, stay active. Get out and do everything. The more mobility, flexibility and balance you have now, the more you can leverage that to do more targeted sports in the future. Right now is where your body is developing based on the building blocks you give it to work with. So let it do exactly what it was designed to do.

Also importantly is don't let other people give you crap about being "smaller" or whatever. In a couple years, who knows? You might be looking at the tops of their heads. This is also a great time to build both your personal self-confidence as well as your knowledge about health & fitness if you really want to know what you're doing.

Overall, it is very important to just be patient. Anyone, a competitor, a kid, an adult, anyone, will learn, if they don't already know, that there are no quicky fixes. So don't waste your team looking for them. Spend the time eating, learning what is good nutrition, being active, all the way around, building yourself as a person - both outside & inside - and all of this will come, and IMO it will come quickly as you get thru the next 3-4 years. Probably feels like a million years from your point of view, but it will go quickly and esp now you will see changes starting to come.

Don't get sidetracked w/ looking for supplements either. You should be getting the nutrients you need from real food. All the stuff on the market is generally designed for people w/ stable hormone profiles (i.e. adults). You're very much NOT in a stable hormone profile and need to GROW. Also there is no supplement out there that is better than what your body produces and will be producing at max amounts for the next 7 years or so. LEVERAGE that. As soon as you start throwing in other artificial stuff, it either stresses your body in ways it wasn't designed to handle, or may even suppress something your body is already producing optimally. It's not always the "sexiest" thing to do to NOT be buying supplements and stuff, but the reality is learning to work with your body in the best way you can because nothing is better than your body. This is honesty and 35 years of weight training and 49 years on the planet has taught me.

So like the guys above said, JUST EAT! Anyone who tells you anything different is an idiot. When you're still growing, there is a cost to trying to "grow" too fast. So there is nothing to be gained from trying to do it too early or introducing something to your body that will stunt it later. Much easier to be patient now than to spend a lifetime suffering for impatience.

I'd like to see if the people here can add in some good reading materials for you to help w/ the whole thing. IMO this also allows you to focus on good information instead of going off on an tangent on the internet or from your uninformed buddies and getting bad information. Learn how your body works, nutrition and good training & activity and you will be the guy w/ the best physique, the most knowledge and the best outlook - don't let anyone else give you crap when you know what's going on.

FWIW, my nephew is about your age. My brother and his wife are skinny, but my brother is about 5'10". My nephew has always been not much bigger than his little brother who is 2 yrs younger. He just shot up a foot since I last saw him about 8 months ago. So ... patience and eating!
    Last edited by sassy69; 08-21-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

There was a spam image attached or included in your post. Deleted.

If you're truly 13 then your problem will resolve with food, pushups, sports, and about two or three more years.

You're welcome.

Team Provo, Chem Moderator Provo82's Avatar

pasta, peanut butter, potatoes, olive oil, steak, and just protein in general. dont over analyze eat train and have fun.

#1 Rx Muscle "Trader Joe's Employee" lksurf2's Avatar

EAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!! EAAAATT!!!!!!! EAAAAAATTT!!! and train your ass off dude. check out myoatmeal.com and get yourself some apple pie flavored oats with added protein!!
    I wish I was a little bit taller. I wish I was a baller.

Quote Originally Posted by lksurf2 View Post
    get yourself some apple pie
    Attachment 173415
    Attachment 173416
    Training / Prep / Off-season coach: Kevin McDowell / Extreme One
    Journal: Hoss06 Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    There was a spam image attached or included in your post. Deleted.

If you're truly 13 then your problem will resolve with food, pushups, sports, and about two or three more years.

You're welcome.
    Eat more Spam. Even that shit will contribute to growth on a skinny 13 yr old!
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by Provo82 View Post
    pasta, peanut butter, potatoes, olive oil, steak, and just protein in general. dont over analyze eat train and have fun.
    Provo is dead on. I always suggest peanut butter to young kids. Whole eggs would be great for you prepare them however you like. Just eat. Still be a kid.
    I would suggest Arnold's encyclopedia for bodybuilding because it has great illustrations for exercises. Please focus on good form at your age no one gives a crap how strong you are. Have great form on the big three squat deadlift and bench press and you will be way ahead of your peers. I also suggest push-ups during commercials while watching tv. I was about your age when I started lifting have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DON'T BE AVERAGE!!!

OLYMPIAN

Mcdonalds post work out, say 2 double cheese burgers 1 large french fries. And a milkshake. I'm not kidding mate, if money is short which it was for me at your age I also used to have 1 tin of tuna 2 brown toasted bread 1 tin of heinez baked beans and 150g of gratted cheddar cheese and 500ml of skimmed milk as a meal. I also bought weider mass gainer 3000 and mixed it with milk( it was so cheap back then and my farts were awesome). Eggs bacon and cheap ground beef, that was the way I was eating when I started weightlifting at 13 up until I was 16 and gained 20ish kg with no fat really good luck mate

Hey little bro, I am the only guy on here who suffered from same problem. I was 91 pounds at 13, but I was 5'9. You need to practice eating. Guys like us are not just small with a fast metabolism but we don't have appetite like others as well. Make your own shakes with peanut butter, oatmeal icecream and milk. Learn to force feed. Make yourself eat even when full. It takes practice but u can learn. Don't eat by ur stomach eat by the clock. It took me years to learn to eat more, but I had to learn in my late twenties. Ur young so if you practice now u can grow fast! Also train with just squats, benches and deadlifts. Hopefully your school has a strength coach. Just train only one lift at one workout. Go for 10sets then go eat. Just 3 workouts a week, until u start gaining wieght. It will be fast bro, as long as you don't do too much and u keep practicing your eating. Start with small meals during the day and work your way up. I graduated highschool at 130lbs and even after 8 years and 55lbs of muscle I still looked like a skinny kid. I actually use that pic in before one. Start eating now and u will graduate as the big kid in school.

Muscle In The Morning

Quote Originally Posted by lksurf2 View Post
    EAAAAATTTTTTTTT!!! EAAAATT!!!!!!! EAAAAAATTT!!! and train your ass off dude. check out myoatmeal.com and get yourself some apple pie flavored oats with added protein!!
    Just like Ian said, EAT!!!! Give this email to your mom or dad "[email protected]" and have them drop me a line. I'll try to get you some free oats so you can put on some size.

All you'll need is a blender, 1/2 cup of oats (dry), 8oz Whole Milk, some ice, 1tsp peanut butter, and a banana. Drink one or two of those a day and you won't be skinny again
    Last edited by MITM; 08-22-2014 at 02:52 PM.