IFBB PRO, Bros V Pros X Champion The Prodigy's Avatar

Default Easy Hairstyles For The Stage...................... By Dr. Stacey Naito, Physician & IFBB Bikini Pro

Easy Hairstyles For The Stage
    By Dr. Stacey Naito, Physician & IFBB Bikini Pro

After competing for six years and fussing with different hairstyles for the stage, I have adopted a less-is-more attitude and have found that the NPC and IFBB judges seem to prefer a more natural look in competitors these days. There is no reason to fuss incessantly over one’s hair unless someone is going for a rat’s nest look. The more natural a style is, the better it looks onstage and the more it flatters a competitor’s facial features and physique without distracting the judge’s eye from essential judging elements.

http://www.rxmuscle.com/rx-girl-arti...the-stage.html

hair.jpg

Great article! Agree. ..I've seen the over sprayed. .won't move in a hurricane hair....Way not flattering. Got any good pics of cute short edgy styles?
    ~Lorrie ~ Mediocrity is NOT an option! ~

Good article! Some additional thoughts:

- wait until your spray tan is DRY before letting long hair flop over it. Otherwise you have a racing stripe from where your hair landed, and if you're blonde, you are now two-toned.

- if you are using extensions, pay attention to where you hair "sticks" to you if you are under hot lights and sweating / getting clammy or have tacky stage tan. I've had clumps of extension come out when it sticks to my shoulder and then do a big movement of my head, but the extension stays on my shoulder. At the time, I had the bead-clamp extensions so much easier for an individual piece to come out. Probably less likely w/ the full waff (or whatever you call the whole piece) of clip ins that are available these days. But still something to be aware of. I noticed this particularly doing photoshoots in July in Vegas....

- It never hurts to keep some hair accessories w/ you in case, for some reason, you do decide to do the pony tail. A great wait to keep a ponytail up high is to prop it up w/ some bobby pins thru the band and down into your hair. (For that matter, I keep spare everything and additional "emergency stuff" to anticipate just about every SNAFU that can happen on show day.)

- If you're like me w/ fine hair that mostly just starts looking grubby if I don't have a fresh shower in the morning, but can't take a shower on show day due to the spray tan schedule, some of that dry shampoo or even talc powder worked into the base of the hair can help it to stand up and not look so grubby.

- If you have long hair, practice getting it out of the way on your quarter turns and posing BEFORE you get on stage. That is another one of my pet peeves about people not being "stage ready" - you can have the best physique on stage but if you are oblivious to half your back being covered, it may cost you.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Do you think Bikini competitors don't get marked as highly with short hair because they are marked on beauty?

Quote Originally Posted by flick161 View Post
    Do you think Bikini competitors don't get marked as highly with short hair because they are marked on beauty?
    I think it's more about how they carry and present themselves overall - seen some very short sassy hairstyles on some very confident bikini gals who just light up the stage when they step on and combined with body of course, take the wins home.
    ~Lorrie ~ Mediocrity is NOT an option! ~

Great article! Very Helpful!