Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RX MEMBER

Mother Earth is way over populated, and maybe soon there will be a plague like Ebola that cuts back the total population by 1/2 or 2/3 so that mankind can continue it's existence. If you study biology all species go thru cut backs to save themselves. We can not continue to march on towards the 10-15 billion human mark without major food shortages, famine, drought, disease, and anarchy !!!

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by chrism50 View Post
    Mother Earth is way over populated, and maybe soon there will be a plague like Ebola that cuts back the total population by 1/2 or 2/3 so that mankind can continue it's existence. If you study biology all species go thru cut backs to save themselves. We can not continue to march on towards the 10-15 billion human mark without major food shortages, famine, drought, disease, and anarchy !!!
    I'd prefer death by an odorless gas or being struck by an asteroid over this mess...

Ebola Virus Effects

At the development stage of the Ebola virus, the patients will have what its called Diarrhea Pharyngitis, or the inflammation of the throat. This is also accompanied by the inflammation of the eye’s mucous membranes (Conjunctivitis) plus abdominal pains and vomiting.

When the infection attacks, it causes severe damage to the skin. Small white blisters will develop in the skin, along with red spots referred to as maculopapular rash. These spots will progress into becoming bruises as the skin becomes pulpy in texture. Rips will randomly appear as blood easily pours out. The skin is so weak that it easily tears with any movement of the patient. These manifestations will be followed by the skin beginning to liquefy and die. Each skin opening in the body will bleed, no matter how minuscule it is—even needle punctures.

The surface of the tongue will begin to take on a brilliant color red, which will eventually slough off. It may even be spat out or swallowed. Loosening of the tongue’s surface may be a result of vomiting.

The virus is known to be systemic, which means the infection attacks every tissue and organ of the body except the skeletal muscles and bones. The virus is also characterized by hemorrhaging and blood clotting. Although it is yet to be discovered how the virus attacks human cells, it is hypothesized that they are able to release certain proteins that can weaken the responses of the body’s immune system.

The virus can even attack the connective tissues that are rapidly multiplying in collagen. Collagen is responsible for keeping the organs in place, and the virus destroys and digests such tissues.

It also causes blood clots in the bloodstream, so the blood thickens and the blood flow weakens. These clots tend to get stuck in the blood vessels, which in turn causes the red spots on the skin. As the disease progresses, the spots get bigger. The blood clots will also slow down the blood supply to most organs of the body such as the lungs, brain, liver, intestines, kidneys, testicles, and breast tissues. All these organs will become severely damaged and so, will eventually stop functioning.

Because of the many devastating Ebola virus effects on the body, death may be caused by shock, renal failure, or loss of blood.

More @ http://enlightenme.com/ebola-virus-effects/

Holy f..k that sounds horrible. My heart goes out to anyone in the affected areas or who could possibly get this .

HTW

image.jpg

A passenger died on a Nigeria-to-JFK flight after a vomiting fit Thursday — and a top lawmaker said officials gave the corpse only a “cursory” exam before declaring that the victim did not have Ebola.

Rep. Peter King said in a letter to Homeland Security and Customs and Border Protection that the handling of the remains exposed serious flaws in airport preparedness for an Ebola outbreak.
    Between 70 and 100 passengers a day arrive at JFK from the Ebola epicenter countries of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, King noted, and they have access to public restrooms and mingle with other travelers before their first screening.
    “Given the high volume of travelers at JFK, it is essential that extraordinary measures are taken to intercept possible Ebola-infected passengers,” while keeping the public and first responders safe, King (R-LI) wrote to Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson and Customs Commissioner Gil Kerlikowske.
    “These individuals transit the airport with the rest of the traveling population, including using the restrooms,” King wrote.
    Rep. Peter King called the protocol followed after the passenger died “alarming.”Photo: Getty Images

“It is only after they arrive at the Customs and Border Protection primary screening location that they are separated and sent to secondary inspection for a medical check and to complete the questionnaire,” he wrote Johnson.
    His letter demands Homeland Security immediately beef up protocols for potentially infected passengers both in flight and at the terminal itself, prior to their reaching the screening location.
    The letter also demands better training and safety equipment for the Port Authority police and Customs and Border Protection officials who can come into contact with high-risk passengers.
    The unnamed passenger, age 63, had boarded an Arik Air plane Wednesday night out of Lagos, Nigeria, which has had 19 Ebola cases this year though no new cases in the past month.He was vomiting in his seat and died sometime before the plane landed around 6 a.m., the source said. The crew contacted the CDC, whose officials boarded the plane as about 145 worried passengers remained on board, a federal law enforcement source said.
    “The door [to the terminal] was left open, which a lot of the first responders found alarming,” said the source.
    “The CDC went on the plane, examined the dead body and said the person did not have Ebola,” King told The Post. “It was, what I was told, a cursory examination. The Port Authority cops and personnel from Customs and Border Protection were there . . . Their concern was, how could you tell so quickly? And what adds to the concern is how wrong the CDC has been over the past few weeks.”
    The CDC declined to comment on the passenger.

HTW

^^^^^^^ conspiracy ???????

Taking names and revoking man cards - except Kenny Kola - since 2009

I think the media is starting to realize scaring people helps nothing.
    "I know what your thinking. Did I fire 5 shots or did I fire 6 shots. You gotta ask yourself, Do you feel lucky? Well do ya, Punk?"

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

I agree. The media LOVES to add drama as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hit-Girl View Post
    I think the media is starting to realize scaring people helps nothing.

Rethinking the 21-Day Quarantine for Ebola Contacts

Manoj Jain, MD MPH
    10/18/14

A few weeks ago an emergency room doctor called our infectious disease physician group concerning a patient who had returned from Liberia and was having nausea and vomiting. Several of the patient's family members had died of Ebola.

As panic struck us, our decisive question was: When did he return from Liberia?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines for screening and isolating patients for possible Ebola infection are clear: Any person who is presenting with symptoms (which include fever, headache, vomiting and stomach pain) along with a history of travel to West African countries including Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone within 21 days of symptom onset.

To our relief, the patient had arrived in America three months earlier, so we reassured the ER physician that the risk for Ebola was virtually zero. But what if he had arrived 23 days ago? Would it have been prudent to let the patient go home from the emergency room with anti-nausea medication, or would it be better to quarantine and evaluate him for Ebola?

For me, a recent article in the*New England Journal of Medicine detailing the first nine months of the 2014 epidemic in West Africa*raises concern about the short, often-mentioned 21 post-exposure-day periods in the guidelines. In the journal's study of 4,507 probable and confirmed cases, "approximately 95 percent of the case patients had symptom onset within 21 days of exposure." If we do the math, this means that approximately 5 percent or 225 of the Ebola cases in West Africa had symptoms 21 days after exposure, as reported by the patient or caregiver.

In medicine for most illnesses we tolerate 95 percent certainty. I give antibiotics for a diabetic foot ulcer with a first line regimen which has 95 percent certainty of cure. This is appropriate because if my first treatment fails (which it will in 5 percent of cases), the patient's life or limb is not threatened. However when I am treating a case of meningitis or sepsis, I use the most powerful antibiotics initially so that I am 99.9 percent certain that I do not miss antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

The level of certainty has to be tailored to the level of threat a disease poses.*With Ebola's 70 percent mortality rate*and public health implications to health care workers and the general public, an exponential-fold higher level of certainty is necessary from the usual 95 percent.

On Oct. 20, quarantine for many, including the family of Thomas Eric Duncan and the health workers who cared for him during his first ER visit, will end. Should we consider a longer quarantining period to increase the level of certainty that no contact has an incubation period greater than 21 days?

Charles Haas, professor at Drexel University,*published a paper in*PLOS Current Outbreaks*that can help us delineate the probability of infection,based on the six Ebola epidemics. According to his model, 21 days after exposure the risk of acquiring Ebola is 0.1 percent to 12 percent. The risk reduces to 0.01 percent to 5 percent after 30 days and the risk is virtually zero after 40 days.

The problem with modeling is that the output data is only as good as the input data. Getting a history of possible date of exposure in a potential Ebola patient in a developing country during an epidemic is difficult -- especially when data is not being obtained for research purposes. Also, patients often do not provide an accurate history because they may not recall the sequences of events or they may have wishful thinking, hoping they have long passed the time after exposure.

The Haas study*alters my clinical decision making at the bedside for screening of patients for Ebola. So if the ER physician had told me that the patient had returned from Liberia 23 days or 30 days earlier, with confidence, I would have asked the patient to be placed under isolation and evaluated him for Ebola, overriding the guidelines.

But that's for one patient. What if we have to decide on the duration of quarantine for hundreds of people who feel well and want to return to their daily routine? Keeping quarantine for a long time is not easy, as witnessed by NBC's Nancy Snyderman, who broke her quarantine after her exposure to her cameraman with Ebola.

So what can we do? I believe we need to individualize the duration of quarantine based on exposure and risk of acquiring Ebola infection, just as I and many doctors individualize the decision for isolation based on patient's history and its reliability.

While data are not available for Ebola, with most other viral infections, the greater the exposure inoculums (vomitus or blood touching the mucus membrane of health worker or family member during peak of illness) the shorter the incubation period, hence those with minor or minimal exposure may be more likely to show a longer incubation time.

Additionally, we can marry quarantine with technology using polymerase chain reaction, or PCR.*At a cost of $60 to $200*the test looks for viral particles in the blood and amplifies them millions of folds, picking up most cases of Ebola patients who may still be asymptomatic. While not 100 percent foolproof, the PCR test increases the level of certainty in determining if a patient has an Ebola infection, which can ultimately lead to a more accurate decision on lifting the quarantine.

While guidelines are helpful, quarantine's duration and decision for isolation must take into account exposed patient's history, health condition, viral exposure and immune response.

With so little known about the Ebola virus, as a public health decision, it may be prudent to extend the quarantine or observation period. Public fear and loss of confidence in the CDC may increase if a patient presents with Ebola symptoms on day 23 after exposure. We hope the Ebola virus does not throw us another curve ball in its debut appearance in America.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/60091...usaolp00000592

"The level of certainty has to be tailored to the level of threat a disease poses. With Ebola's 70 percent mortality rate and public health implications to health care workers and the general public, an exponential-fold higher level of certainty is necessary from the usual 95 percent."

I've read elsewhere the mortality rate is 60-90%.

But if a 40-day quarantine would be safer, who's paying for housing/caring for those patients? Is there a precedent for this?

I Googled "who pays for lengthy quarantines?" and found a lot of animal quarantine stories. Here's part of one:

Unless you work with dogs or cats, you have been bitten by a dog or cat, or your dog or cat has bitten or scratched someone, you might not know that the Texas Rabies Control Act of 1981 requires that dogs or cats reported to have bitten someone have to be quarantined for observation — regardless of their rabies vaccination status. (The City of Austin’s Animal Services page says, “Owners of dogs involved in bite cases must provide a current rabies vaccination certificate to Animal Protection. If the animal is not currently vaccinated or if the vaccination status is unknown, the animal will be placed in quarantine and observed by a veterinarian. Animals that are currently vaccinated and that were restrained at the time the bite occurred qualify for home observation.”)

So: Out of an abundance of caution, Taylor gets a tetanus shot for a nick. And the clinic, obligated to report the incident, kicks off a chain of events leading to Taylor and her seriously beloved companion, with a tag that says “Only Child,” effectively being under house arrest at their modernist domicile on a bluff here over Lake Travis because of a law passed, if one is disposed to regard our elected leaders at the statehouse as a well-intentioned lot, out of an abundance of caution.

From http://m.statesman.com/news/news/loc...g-owner/nX3Y6/

How long until we have an ebola quaratine law? OH NOEZ!1!

"You tell that punk, that I, me Jon Gotti, will sever your mother f'n head off"-Jon Gotti RIP DMX

I guess everyone on the same cruise ship as the nurse had no trace of Ebola in their blood.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345