Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ebola - Too close to home

This Ebola shit it too close to home. I live about 5 miles from here and the 2nd person in the US diagnosed with Ebola was here a few days ago visiting her relatives.

http://www.wkyc.com/story/news/healt...-off/17315083/

http://www.wkyc.com
    Last edited by Mac; 10-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.

OLYMPIAN

People are responding like this is a pandemic. It isn't...at least not yet.

I think people are waiting on season 5 of the Walking Dead.zombies-feature.jpg

Stay safe ...

I think there are a plethora of things that people were not prepared for in this country. It would be nice if the CDC were a little more up front and believable in the stuff they are saying. IMO the lack of 'common sense' level info and the two extremes of OMG THERE'S ANOTHER CASE! and WE DO NOT BELIEVE IT WILL HAPPEN HERE / WE ARE IN TOTAL CONTROL! just blows their credibility and leaves the rest of us just generally incredulous.

God willing it is contained to those known cases, but I hope in the mean time there is common sense & realistic approach to how to deal with it. (I'm not optimistic on the second ... )
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by Professor X View Post

It just shows that you're not isolated by distance and how innocently it can be spread before someone may know they're infected.

HTW

I really wish omaha would stop flying in these people to treat them .

Quote Originally Posted by Professor X View Post

I think people are waiting on season 5 of the Walking Dead.zombies-feature.jpg
    Season 5 already started.

RE: Ebola and whether or not we should start preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse, I like this guy's approach:

http://fumento.com/disease/ebola.html

Michael Fumento: Ebola - Horror or Hype?

It was, we were told, a horrible case of life imitating art. First there was the hit movie Outbreak, with an Ebola-like virus threatening to wipe out the United States. Closely following was the TV movie, Virus, starring Ebola itself. And then there was the media’s Ebola onslaught, with such offerings as CNN’s The Apocalypse Bug and Newsweek’s cover: "Killer Virus." And this time it was for real. Not.
    As it happens, Zaire’s virus is one of the poorest excuses for an apocalyptic anything. Not only does it pose no threat to America, it doesn’t even pose much of a threat to Africa. But there is a cautionary lesson here, and it’s not what so many would have us believe.
    Make no mistake, Ebola is a terrible disease to get. It’s also extremely deadly. Apparently as many as 90 percent of its victims die, although to a great extent that number reflects the poor medical care available in the afflicted areas.
    But the good news is that Ebola is extremely hard to catch.
    You don’t get it from doorknobs, toilet seats, or being coughed upon. As the World Health Organization notes, "transmission occurs by direct contact with infected blood, secretions, organs, or semen." That’s why almost all the victims have been hospital patients, care givers, or persons who handled the dead bodies. Standard precautions would prevent such spread in American hospitals, but in dirt-poor Zaire, even masks and gowns can be hard to come by. The other factor that works to contain Ebola is that the victims don’t carry it long before becoming symptomatic themselves.
    According to Dr. Carl Johnson, retired head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Special Pathogens branch, "Incubation is on average seven to 10 days." Further, he told me, "Probably during most of that incubation period there’s not enough virus in that person to" allow transmission to someone else.
    Still, what’s the worst case scenario for the U.S.? What if a Zairian teeming with Ebola stepped off a jet tomorrow at JFK? Sorry thrill-seekers, it’s not complete envelopment of the U.S. in 48 hours, as was the case in Outbreak. Dr. C.J. Peters, current director of the Special Pathogens branch, told me, "It’s possible that someone with Ebola might leave a remote area where the disease is occurring and might even get sick here." But, he added, "Because our socioeconomic level allows high standards in hospitals . . . there would be a few cases but they would be controllable under our circumstances."
    The fallacy that because a disease is a major problem in Africa it may become one in the U.S. got its start with AIDS. To this day we hear that AIDS is poised to sweep through America’s heterosexual population because, after all, it’s primarily a disease of heterosexuals in Africa. That different populations spread disease with varying degrees of efficacy is conveniently ignored.
    Ebola: Deadly, but Hard to Catch
    But what is most remarkable about this latest hype is that by Africa’s sad standards, Ebola is a pipsqueak. The current Ebola epidemic will probably fall short of the previous one in 1976, which killed several hundred people. Yet each year malaria kills an estimated one million Africans, tuberculosis kills three million, and other tropical diseases besides malaria kill as many as two million. There is probably no deadly disease in Africa that will kill fewer Africans this year than Ebola.When I pointed this out to CNN’s reporter, Andrew Holtz, during a question and answer computer forum after The Apocalypse Bug aired, he replied that all this was true but that after all "AIDS started with just a few cases."
    Yes, and World War I began with the murder of a single couple, so anytime a couple is murdered we must brace for world war. But that’s the ratings game for you.
    Still, much of the media coverage of Ebola has been responsible in tone, if irresponsible perhaps in the sheer amount. The worst problem is that everybody is trying to get us to draw the wrong conclusions.
    First, they are using Ebola as evidence of old pathogens developing resistance to antibiotics and perhaps thereby reemerging as a major threat. This is a problem, but concerns bacterial infections, not Ebola nor any other virus.
    Second, we are told this is the folly of continuing to encroach upon the environment, that so doing exposes us to more deadly pathogens. Actually, throughout history populations have exposed themselves to new diseases. But now, as always, they usually arise through interactivity between different groups of people, not with creatures of the rainforest.
    The real lesson is that we must be prepared to quickly identify those pathogens which do emerge. "We can’t think from crisis to crisis," Rockefeller University virologist Stephen Morse told me. "This will pass. The next one may not be so easily averted."
    True enough. Yet the CDC annual budget for New and Reemerging Infections is a paltry $5.3 million. This while the CDC spends over $385 million a year on AIDS education which emphasizes a politically correct but medically wrong "everybody’s at risk" message. This while the CDC’s Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, which chases medical phantoms allegedly emanating from hazardous waste sites, saw its budget balloon from $45 million in 1989 to over $60 million in 1993.
    What has happened with the CDC is illustrative of what so often happens to when an agency loses sight of its original purpose in pursuit of flashier causes. Ebola should be a kick in the pants to Congress to put the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention back on the course of controlling and preventing disease.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Quote Originally Posted by DMX View Post
    I really wish omaha would stop flying in these people to treat them .
    I heard before coming to Ohio she was buying vitamins in some hick town.

She was quoted as saying ' this guy wanted to arm wrestle me before I could buy anything from him '

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

I saw part of the White House news conference concerning this today.

The headline was "Second case of Ebola causes serious concern", You mean the FIRST case was just "Oh well" but the second makes it serious?

I really think the White House just does not know how to communicate effectively, not that it is THAT more bad than the other administrations......they are just always putting their feet in their mouth?
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

(insert animated oh noez omg gf here)

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    (insert animated oh noez omg gf here)
    All jokes (and statistics) aside, I would absolutely crap my pants if the disease hit my local hospital.

MyOatmeal.com Rep Mr.Dedication's Avatar

we are not that far away from each other bud. Just don't make out or bang with anyone random

Also I guess use more hand sanitizer just in case if people have spit or sneezed on something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dedication View Post
    we are not that far away from each other bud. Just don't make out or bang with anyone random

Also I guess use more hand sanitizer just in case if people have spit or sneezed on something.
    Where do you live?

They have businesses, schools and roads closed. They are going to extremes but that's better than not doing enough.

IFBB Pro & Senior Forum Administrator tammyp's Avatar

they need to quarantine it and not have infected people in hospitals scattered all over the country. the nurse on the today show thrusday scared the shit out of me how they went into other rooms wearing the SAME gloves as the ebola room. just WOW.
    APS HI TECH PHARMACEUTICALS ATHLETE
    Hersuppz.com code TAMMY
    www.team-tammyfitness.com
    pushpullgrind.com code TEAM TAMMY

Quote Originally Posted by tammyp View Post
    they need to quarantine it and not have infected people in hospitals scattered all over the country. the nurse on the today show thrusday scared the shit out of me how they went into other rooms wearing the SAME gloves as the ebola room. just WOW.

It's pretty scary to see things like that. I believe that if I were treating someone with Ebola, that I might be more considerate to those I come in contact afterwards.

I can't believe for a moment that it never crossed her mind that she could be contaminated and it would spread to her family members.

MyOatmeal.com Rep Mr.Dedication's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Where do you live?

They have businesses, schools and roads closed. They are going to extremes but that's better than not doing enough.
    DFW area. So I'm like 45 minutes away. Some people in DFW are freaking out and I'm like WTF, chill. I have customers across US freaking out. I don't know if I'm being to chill about it or people are just over reacting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast