Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default increased stance width and glute activation during squats

many of us consider using back squats for preferential activation of quads, hams, and glutes. to achieve this we might use different loads, foot angles, stance width, etc.

well paoli et al. (2009) studied the effects of specific stance width and loads on different muscles of the thigh. six experience trainees performed squats at 3 different stance widths and 3 different loads. the 3 stances were narrow (hip width), wide (double the hip width), and "in-between." the 3 loads were 0, 30% 1 rep max, and 70% 1 rep max.

interestingly, the results showed that the only significant difference in emg muscle activation was for glute max with increases in stance width and loads. so their were no differences in emg activation for other muscles with different stances.

we might use a narrow stance thinking quads or medial quads are activated more. when in fact we might be just training all the muscles of the thigh equally the same during back squats.

so for those who care about glute hypertrophy, do some back squats with a wide stance.

do you guys change your foot positions, stance widths or range of motion to stress different muscles during squats?

Abstract:
    Paoli, A, Marcolin, G, and Petrone, N. The effect of stance width on the electromyographical activity of eight superficial thigh muscles during back squat with different bar loads. J Strength Cond Res 23(1): 246-250, 2009-Many strength trainers believe that varying the stance width during the back squat can target specific muscles of the thigh. The aim of the present work was to test this theory measuring the activation of 8 thigh muscles while performing back squats at 3 stance widths and with 3 different bar loads. Six experienced lifters performed 3 sets of 10 repetitions of squats, each one with a different stance width, using 3 resistances: no load, 30% of 1-repetition maximum (1RM), and 70% 1RM. Sets were separated by 6 minutes of rest. Electromyographic (EMG) surface electrodes were placed on the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, semitendinosus, biceps femoris, gluteus maximus, gluteus medium, and adductor maior. Analysis of variance and Scheffe post hoc tests indicated a significant difference in EMG activity only for the gluteus maximus; in particular, there was a higher electrical activity of this muscle when back squats were performed at the maximum stance widths at 0 and 70% 1RM. There were no significant differences concerning the EMG activity of the other analyzed muscles. These findings suggest that a large width is necessary for a greater activation of the gluteus maximus during back squats.
    (C) 2009 National Strength and Conditioning Association

Go to Full Text of this Article

FREAK

I almost totally avoid wide stance. I have big enough glutes as it is I change things up by doing front squats, back squats, and I might vary the width a LITTLE but still relatively narrow, and sometimes I might elevate my heels or go bare foot.

Banned

yeah it does develop glutes a lot. pre-mr. o ronnie- people used to care more of not developing glutes more. people might not prefer a narrow stance because they cant generate the same amout of forces that a wider stance provides.

i do close foot position and wide food position on the leg press and you can deffinately feel the increased glute, hamstring and inner thigh activation with the wide foot position... although the inner-thigh and hamstring activation could be because i have to have my feet higher on the platform to perform the wide foot position.

Banned

do you guys change your foot positions, stance widths or range of motion to stress different muscles during squats?
    Once again, PT, great find.

I change my foot position even during the exercise because I cant ever find a comfortable stance. And yes, I do need more ass, LOL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    i do close foot position and wide food position on the leg press and you can deffinately feel the increased glute, hamstring and inner thigh activation with the wide foot position... although the inner-thigh and hamstring activation could be because i have to have my feet higher on the platform to perform the wide foot position.

yes, positioning your feet higher up on the platform does stress glute max more because of the increased range of hip flexion. most of get more hip flexion range once we externally rotate and abduct our hips. you'll notice that the fibers of glute max lateralize distally as well in accordance.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Loco View Post
    Once again, PT, great find.

I change my foot position even during the exercise because I cant ever find a comfortable stance. And yes, I do need more ass, LOL.

lol. ninja, i know you have your girls performing wide stance squats and leg presses.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist View Post
    yeah it does develop glutes a lot. pre-mr. o ronnie- people used to care more of not developing glutes more. people might not prefer a narrow stance because they cant generate the same amout of forces that a wider stance provides.
    I've never squatted or deadlifted well with a wide stance. I've never been able to dead as much sumo as with a traditional stance even when i trained it hard. Same for squats. My best total ass to grass squat was 360 for 2 but I only ever was able to get a 340 max with a wide stance to parallel!! Might just be my structure? I have short legs and a long torso.

Banned

lol. ninja, i know you have your girls performing wide stance squats and leg presses.
    LOL, actually I let them find their spot. But I always start wide, then let them play around with it. Not Sumo wide, just past the shoulders.

I generally use a wider stance simply because it allows me to go deeper with less discomfort (when I say wider I'm thinking along the lines of what Ninja said, definetly not sumo)

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
    I generally use a wider stance simply because it allows me to go deeper with less discomfort (when I say wider I'm thinking along the lines of what Ninja said, definetly not sumo)
    That's funny because I go narrower so I can go deeper easier...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    That's funny because I go narrower so I can go deeper easier...
    Lol, different strokes I guess... I have real bad ankle mobility so if I go ass to grass with my feet closer my heels rise off the floor and I end up squatting on my toes.

FREAK

Quote Originally Posted by Yolo View Post
    Lol, different strokes I guess... I have real bad ankle mobility so if I go ass to grass with my feet closer my heels rise off the floor and I end up squatting on my toes.

So I guess I have good ankle mobility and poor hip mobility. I squat narrow well below parallel barefoot without my heels even feeling like they're coming up. Squatting deep with a wider stance makes it feel like my hip joints are gonna rip off and bust up my knees.

Banned

most men have tight hamstrings or glutes and consequently uncomfortable squating with a narrow width (i.e., hip width or less). make sure to stretch hams and glutes for optimal performance.

tensor fascia lata and the illiotibial band attach to glute max to assist in externally rotating the hip. thus, we usually are more comfortable slightly turning our feet out.

also, soleus is sometimes tight when our heels rise up during descent of squating.

FREAK

most men have tight hamstrings or glutes and consequently uncomfortable squating with a narrow width (i.e., hip width or less). make sure to stretch hams and glutes for optimal performance.

tensor fascia lata and the illiotibial band attach to glute max to assist in externally rotating the hip. thus, we usually are more comfortable slightly turning our feet out.

also, soleus is sometimes tight when our heels rise up during descent of squating.
    So is it my adductors that are tight? I always felt like my entire posterior fascia was tight or something because with locked knees I can hardly touch my toes and I feel it entirely in my calves....but my ankles don't raise up nor is it a straight on my ankles when I squat super deep with a narrow stance.

Maybe this might help to diagnose...I squat with better form if I do a toe-touch stretch and a sumo stance squat stretch (where I try to go as deep as possible and hold the stretch). Otherwise something pulls on my hips funny and it can hurt my lower back in the very bottom position of the squat.

The muscles that get sore when I back squat, in order of soreness, are quads>adductors>glutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast