Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    I nominate Musclepapa John for RxMember of the Month
    Lol, thanks Roman

OLYMPIAN

I agree with you hit me back if you can I heard you was having trouble with posting a thread before , so I am new to the site and are having trouble posting a thread and I have so much stuff to talk about , so can you help me with posting a thread? I would really appreciate it very much, thanks Moosse

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Living the dream.

LOL.

What a dream, eh?

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

I nominate Musclepapa John for RxMember of the Month

Lol, thanks Roman
    MPJ, February work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Moosse View Post
    I agree with you hit me back if you can I heard you was having trouble with posting a thread before , so I am new to the site and am having trouble posting a thread and I have so much stuff to talk about , so can you help me with posting a thread? I would really appreciate it very much, thanks Moosse
    I see you figured it out elsewhere, Moosse. :-)

OLYMPIAN

Ten names, please!!!
    lol citation: MOB

OLYMPIAN

12 ISSUES - BECAUSE IT MATTERS!! | MUSCULAR DEVELOPMENT

Written by Dan Solomon
    15 December 2014
    CONSISTENCY. It’s the name of the game in the world of bodybuilding. Unfortunately, the same can’t be said about the ever-changing and wildly complex business of print media. A visit to your local newsstand reveals an undeniable truth. The magazine business is changing. The realities of our newinstant-gratification culture have forced publishers and editors to reevaluate their strategies in an effort to deliver “printed” value in a digital world. The slope can be a slippery one. In the summer of 2013, the good people at MuscleMag were forced to file for bankruptcy. Other popular bodybuilding magazines have decided, reluctantly, to reduce themselves to just 10 issues annually while others distribute their magazines bimonthly or quarterly. These thrifty decisions allow publishers to reduce printing costs, streamlining overall production burdens. Unfortunately, while certain publishers engage in these survival tactics, the reader pays the price, forced to wait two full months, sometimes longer, between issues.
    As the Senior Features Editor here at MD, I’ve had the opportunity to monitor the pulse of an industry, its media and the fans who support it. I’ve watched closely as Steve Blechman, MD’s Publisher since 2001, has navigated through a sea of change in order to ensure that bodybuilding enthusiasts receive a new, content-rich magazine no less than 12 times a year. As you turn the pages of MD, you’ll observe a rare combination of science and opinion, the latter having become virtually non-existent among other magazines.

Since my arrival to the bodybuilding biz 15 years ago, I’ve noticed that there are two classes of leadership— those who “find a way” and those who “find excuses.” While other magazines spend their days cutting staff, MD remains under the direction of Steve Blechman and a team of editors who continue to prioritize people and purpose over profit.

Perhaps more importantly, the magazine you’re holding is owned and operated by those who care deeply about the bodybuilding culture. While large corporate entities have infiltrated the entire industry, MD is among the few run by those with the credentials to assess a physique, those who actually knew Arnold BEFORE he was a Terminator, and those who prefer to protect the sport … rather than exploit it (yes, there’s a difference).

The bodybuilding world is thriving and the global appetite for information is at an all-time high. We all enjoy the Internet, but we’ve learned that the serious bodybuilder craves information delivered with a higher level of accountability, the kind of content found on these pages.

TWELVE. It’s more than just a number. It’s a promise … a commitment MD has made to the sport and to those who follow it. Twelve issues of Muscular Development each year, a reality that we once took for granted, the kind of consistency that builds championship physiques. You’ve come to expect it;
    you’ve grown to count on it. MD remains right by your side, every month of the year. All 12 of them.

Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 07:25 AM.

This is my favorite line:

While other magazines spend their days cutting staff, MD remains under the direction of Steve Blechman and a team of editors who continue to prioritize people and purpose over profit.

​Blechy has been spending many a day cutting staff and I know this from personal experience being one of them!

GYM RAT

Even if Steve kept all of his guys, I don't think it'd make a heap of difference so long as they stay on its current course.

I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion the mags direction being all about contests is a big mistake. Otherwise, wouldn't it have worked for Rx, being an online mag and all?

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    This is my favorite line:

While other magazines spend their days cutting staff, MD remains under the direction of Steve Blechman and a team of editors who continue to prioritize people and purpose over profit.

​Blechy has been spending many a day cutting staff and I know this from personal experience being one of them!
    Actually I think its a well crafted sentence. Note, "MD remains under the direction of Steve Blechman and a team of editors who continue to prioritize people and purpose over profit" could mean they are unprofitable with their current people and purpose.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 01:51 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion the mags direction being all about contests is a big mistake. Otherwise, wouldn't it have worked for Rx, being an online mag and all?
    It's no secret their purpose since Dave left was beat Rx firstly and Flex second at whatever cost, which was directed toward contest coverage. Now that Rx & Flex are stepping away from it their only competition will be essentially the federation website that they cannot beat. The thing we don't know is what the P&L looks like. Their lead advertiser appears to be Singerman who likewise doesn't like Rx. He'd probably make a good online editor over there as his companies are already providing video content and him and PJ love the camera. He might could do it in trade for ad space in the magazine, which would allow Steve room to let others go. Could be a worthwhile pay for play for Steve. However, he can't abandon show coverage though as Adina has already announced her international travel schedule for next year (j/k).
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 02:07 PM.

GYM RAT

re: P&L...

I remember Steve tell me it costed him over a MILLION dollars to cover the Olympia. A was stunned. I wanted to tell him, well shit, stop covering it! Then he said the ad guy (Adam?) was able to sell enough ad space to make their investment back.

This was about 11 years ago, well before they started covering every show under the sun. With sponsors jumping ship and reduced staff/athletes, I do not see how they are profitable anymore.

I feel for Dave and Steve. They are blind. They cannot see the answer is staring them right in the face!

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    re: P&L...

I remember Steve tell me it costed him over a MILLION dollars to cover the Olympia. A was stunned. I wanted to tell him, well shit, stop covering it! Then he said the ad guy (Adam?) was able to sell enough ad space to make their investment back.

This was about 11 years ago, well before they started covering every show under the sun. With sponsors jumping ship and reduced staff/athletes, I do not see how they are profitable anymore.

I feel for Dave and Steve. They are blind. They cannot see the answer is staring them right in the face!
    The former editor at Flex told me they weren't covering many of the shows as they could do as well generating web traffic relative to expense with articles written by their associated celebrities and training snippets promoted and linked backed articles on social media. Plus, they couldn't compete with the federation's own coverage. When AIM (Active Interest Media) picked up Robert Kennedy publishings MuscleMag & Oxygen you see they went this same route. Its the template for coverage these days in the fitness industry. There is hope though and I think it will be a rebirth of coverage directed by the federation farmed out to cable networks, etc. Maybe some of the existing players will be a part; maybe not.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.

OLYMPIAN

135 guests on this thread? How did that happen?
    Must be a who's who of MDs released athletes.
    Screen Shot 2014-12-16 at 11.06.43 PM.jpg

Roman Citizen of Noble Birth Octavius's Avatar

In the journalism biz when a writer states something that's later determined to be in error there is a retraction or correction. I've not seen one from Peter regarding any of this.
    If Peter ever does write a retraction or correction, will it be on his own or will he be encouraged by his boss?

Peter McGough could be the guiding light for aspiring reporters in the fitness and bodybuilding industry. The fact that he does not write a retraction speaks a lot about both his current employer and his own high standard of ethics.

Peter appears to be teetering on the edge of an ethical abyss and I think we all want him to hold the higher course. For him, and for the bodybuilding industry as a whole.

OLYMPIAN

Now that Peter is on the same page with Blechman and there is market strain on FLEX & MD might Peter work with Blechman to purchase FLEX? AMI appears much more corporate oriented than MD. If numbers slip might they be willing to allow MD to purchase the title or take over their share of the Olympia? Some are saying Weider wants out. Could make for an interesting final hurray.

What caused David to get angry was when Steve made disparaging remarks about FLEX Editor-In-Chief Peter McGough and the quality of FLEX editorially and the magazine overall. Steve then said he was interested in buying FLEX and David said ‘why don’t I buy MD’. When Steve again refused to divulge any MD information, David had about had it and lunch was over." AND

"In his September column, Romano expresses wonderment as to why David Pecker would not consider selling his titles to Steve Blechman. “What? Blechman’s money isn’t green enough for Pecker?” he muses.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213