Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    OLYMPIAN

Default NPC Competitors by the numbers

According to Mike Sansevero, RxMuscle South Florida photographer & owner of NorthAmericanBodies.com; he wrote on Facebook yesterday after likely attended a South Florida sanctioning meeting yesterday morning, "Interesting fact, more than 50% of the NPC card holders now are in the Mens Physique and Bikini Divisions, the two newest divisions added to the NPC in recent years.
    There were 4733 competitors in National NPC shows this year, up from 4252 in 2013. Biggest show was Nationals with 987 competitors followed by Team Universe with 933 and USA's with 888. Teen Collegiate Masters had 950, JR. USA 501 and Jr Nationals 677. All shows were up from 2013."
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-14-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    According to Mike Sansevero, RxMuscle South Florida photographer & owner of NorthAmericanBodies.com; he wrote on Facebook yesterday after likely attended a South Florida sanctioning meeting yesterday morning, "Interesting fact, more than 50% of the NPC card holders now are in the Mens Physique and Bikini Divisions, the two newest divisions added to the NPC in recent years.
    There were 4733 competitors in National NPC shows this year, up from 4252 in 2013. Biggest show was Nationals with 987 competitors followed by Team Universe with 933 and USA's with 888. Teen Collegiate Masters had 950, JR. USA 501 and Jr Nationals 677. All shows were up from 2013."
    I always said that The mens physiq division and bikini would be the more popular in the near future. Its more mainstream look attract the mass, and new people in our sport. They are much more marketable and bring money into the "NPC/Supps" machine.

I will even go further that statement and say that mens physiq and Bikini is the "future", the "sang neuf" that bodybuilding needed to overcome its "natural" shell/boundarie.

The real question would be : Is there a drawback to that god given expansion for the sport ?

- Pissing of some Bodybuilding purist, aficionados ? Maybe, other than that ?

OLYMPIAN

For me if those numbers are accurate it should point to more respect in the bodybuilding/fitness community for these divisions. Both divisions continue to be not so quietly belittled by many in the sports' media although show promoters and officials have largely embraced them as the divisions have brought many new faces as well as bodies into the sport. Hurray on the advancement of numbers and too taking into consideration a strong field of male bodybuilders at NPC Nationals.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-14-2014 at 05:49 PM.

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

Those divisions are not going to go away.....but it is time for some tweaking. A little more "Masculine" poses for the MPD and drop the "Do me in the Butt" pose for Bikini.

A lady I work with told me her daughter wants to compete in Womens physique but felt she was not muscular enough yet so she was going to start in Bikini. I showed her the "Butt" pose and she said "I think I will tell her to keep working out". I was just impressed this woman in her 40s knew what Physique and Bikini were.
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

OLYMPIAN

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The numbers for men's physique don't seem to have reached a leveling point. Thus, why change anything?
    As for the dig on bikini that's all it is in my view. The women tend to arch their backs to tighten up the glutes and some due to inexperience, nerves or something else sometimes go too far and intentions can be misinterpreted and exploited. Lots of women with enough muscle to go into other divisions prefer bikini as they can show off their personalities and be a bit more girlie girl. Whichever division they choose is up to them. Lots of options. Mr. Manion did good creating these divisions as proved by their popularity amongst apparently 50% of the NPC membership.

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    Those divisions are not going to go away.....but it is time for some tweaking. A little more "Masculine" poses for the MPD and drop the "Do me in the Butt" pose for Bikini.

A lady I work with told me her daughter wants to compete in Womens physique but felt she was not muscular enough yet so she was going to start in Bikini. I showed her the "Butt" pose and she said "I think I will tell her to keep working out". I was just impressed this woman in her 40s knew what Physique and Bikini were.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-14-2014 at 07:34 PM.

The Godzilla of RX

For fuck's sake, do I really have to explain this again to everyone?

There are increasing numbers in both MPD and Bikini because they are FAR EASIER TO EXCEL IN. Period, end of story. Human nature is to gravitate to the easier endeavor.

Hmm, what's easier - to be 185lbs shredded, or 240lbs shredded at similar heights? To, as a female competitor, have striations and size, or tits and ass with mediocre, at best, definition?

These two shit-divisions have made it easier for twinks and bimboes to get on stage, and that is that.

Bodybuilding is and will always remain the core draw. Look at the competitions themselves - sure there may be more competitors in MPD than BB sometimes, but the fucking auditoriums relatively speaking clear out when MPD comes on, and the butts are in the seats watching the BBs.
    Last edited by Maniacal; 12-15-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    Fill up the syringe...

The Godzilla of RX

Quote Originally Posted by davidcua View Post
    I always said that The mens physiq division and bikini would be the more popular in the near future. Its more mainstream look attract the mass, and new people in our sport. They are much more marketable and bring money into the "NPC/Supps" machine.

I will even go further that statement and say that mens physiq and Bikini is the "future", the "sang neuf" that bodybuilding needed to overcome its "natural" shell/boundarie.
    Horseshit, shrouded in a failed attempt at sounding educated.

Impressive though, how you cannot spell in either English, or French.
    Fill up the syringe...

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    For fuck's sake, do I really have to explain this again to everyone?(snip)

but the fucking auditoriums relatively speaking clear out when MPD comes on, and the butts are in the seats watching the BBs.
    How much money is generated by ticket purchases by family and friends versus entry fees paid by competitors?

If Mike Sansevero's statement -- "Interesting fact, more than 50% of the NPC card holders now are in the Mens Physique and Bikini Divisions" -- is correct then your butts in seats comment may hold less weight.

The Godzilla of RX

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    How much money is generated by ticket purchases by family and friends versus entry fees paid by competitors?

If Mike Sansevero's statement -- "Interesting fact, more than 50% of the NPC card holders now are in the Mens Physique and Bikini Divisions" -- is correct then your butts in seats comment may hold less weight.
    I speak from personal experience. The last, let's go with 4, shows I've competed in, there were still more BB competitors than MPD (though close), and the viewership as I described is exactly what I detailed. Essentially, as BBs went on first, everyone was there watching in a relatively packed auditorium, yet for MPD, the numbers watching were severely reduced.

Thus, Curt, either most people don't want to watch 'men' doing cat walks in pink shorts more concerned with their hairdo than their thigh development, twisting like twinks, or they have some pretty unsupportive friends/families.

I'll go with the former.
    Last edited by Maniacal; 12-15-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    Fill up the syringe...

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Mr. Manion did good creating these divisions as proved by their popularity amongst apparently 50% of the NPC membership.
    Agreed.

And has this been answered? You mentioned the "50% of the NPC membership" but does that reflect or is it in the context of a change (athletes crossing over to Bikini, Women's and Men's Physique) or an increase (new members applying as NPC competitors)? I'm guessing there has been a great increase in NPC membership and any organization would love that, right?

The Godzilla of RX

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Agreed.

And has this been answered? You mentioned the "50% of the NPC membership" but does that reflect or is it in the context of a change (athletes crossing over to Bikini, Women's and Men's Physique) or an increase (new members applying as NPC competitors)? I'm guessing there has been a great increase in NPC membership and any organization would love that, right?
    There have been many BBs who have transitioned to MPD, due to either not wanting to go to the extremes of suffering or drug use necessary (though do not be fooled into thinking these catwalk, male-model waifs do not juice). And sure, there are many others, perhaps the preponderance who have started competing directly because the MPD was created - why? Because as I said it is easier than BB.
    Last edited by Maniacal; 12-15-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    Fill up the syringe...

I speak from personal experience. The last, let's go with 4, shows I've competed in, there were still more BB competitors than MPD (though close), and the viewership as I described is exactly what I detailed. Essentially, as BBs went on first, everyone was there watching in a relatively packed auditorium, yet for MPD, the numbers watching were severely reduced.

Thus, Curt, either most people don't want to watch 'men' doing cat walks in pink shorts more concerned with their hairdo than their thigh development, twisting like twinks, or they have some pretty unsupportive friends/families.

I'll go with the former.
    Okay, I wonder if that's across the board. You saw that result in four competitions.

Let's say an equal number of competitors on the BB side and the MP side with friends and family buying more tickets to see Men's BB.

Still, if these are new MP competitors then it's still a win for the NPC. Kudos! Now if there would be a way to allow the athletes to have more than thirty seconds of stage time without having endless shows...

There have been many BBs who have transitioned to MPD, due to either not wanting to go to the extremes of suffering or drug use necessary (though do not be fooled into thinking these catwalk, male-model waifs do not juice). And sure, there are many others, perhaps the preponderance who have started competing directly because the MPD was created - why? Because as I said it is easier than BB.
    No argument there.

OLYMPIAN

The stats above are NPC numbers. Bodybuilding doesn't necessarily put more butts in seats at local, regional or the national level. That's the case for the Olympia which I believe AMI/Weider owns, which is fine, but otherwise the online fan base is as great in terms of eyeballs for bikini as my gallery and video view counts demonstrate day in and day out.

Bodybuilding is and will always remain the core draw. Look at the competitions themselves - sure there may be more competitors in MPD than BB sometimes, but the fucking auditoriums relatively speaking clear out when MPD comes on, and the butts are in the seats watching the BBs.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-15-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast