Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    OLYMPIAN

Maybe think of it more as micro-businesses doing it. I run a couple online mags focused on competitors that shoot with me. I shoot shows, but it's more to draw audience for booking photoshoots. I've been putting up the stage photos in near real time on Facebook and then later loading my galleries with the full sized images, give to the fed website, etc. Competitors love it when they know I'm working a show as they can log into my Facebook page and be seeing what they looked like quickly and share them, which cross promotes me too. Big site database with names and history isn't essential as I'm typically shooting shows under 300 competitors. These are small shows that a big site wouldn't typically load for a few days.
    The competitors I care most about are those that book with me of course. I don't care if they are a first time competitor or Mr. Olympia. Bio questions featured in their own issue of one of my online mags are the same regardless of their stature in the industry, etc. So in a sense I don't think "the website" model per se is the end game. I work through my multiple sites and social media accounts to make a living without concern with advertisers. It's becoming necessary as opportunities dry up with magazines, etc. Everyone is their own creative agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    I would like to see this train of thought go even further: ignore competitors of all levels. Completely. Stick to the average guy who likes lifting, eating and possibly shooting juice (or seriously thinking about it). Some bb fans will get caught in the net, but I think that's fine.

Question is, which, if any, website is wiling to do it?
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-15-2014 at 11:49 PM.

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Maybe think of it more as micro-businesses doing it. I run a couple online mags focused on competitors that shoot with me. I shoot shows, but it's more to draw audience for booking photoshoots. I've been putting up the stage photos in near real time on Facebook and then later loading my galleries with the full sized images, give to the fed website, etc. Competitors love it when they know I'm working a show as they can log into my Facebook page and be seeing what they looked like quickly and share them, which cross promotes me too. Big site database with names and history isn't essential as I'm typically shooting shows under 300 competitors. These are small shows that a big site wouldn't typically load for a few days.
    The competitors I care most about are those that book with me of course. I don't care if they are a first time competitor or Mr. Olympia. Bio questions featured in their own issue of one of my online mags are the same regardless of their stature in the industry, etc. So in a sense I don't think "the website" model per se is the end game. I work through my multiple sites and social media accounts to make a living without concern with advertisers. It's becoming necessary as opportunities dry up with magazines, etc. Everyone is their own creative agency.
    Agreed. I think if you are working as a contractor, the micro niche model you spoke of is great for generating a lot of work so you can do this full time. I did the same thing back when I was a writer.

But, the broad yet focused approach I spoke of above was more designed for the online community/magazine type websites, like Rx and MD. I feel both sites lack the right kind of focus. For these sites, BB competitions seem to be a waste of time save for the big two.

I always admired Bill Phillips/MM2K business model...

OLYMPIAN

MD in my view should be more corporate with a larger sales staff and a big portion of Team MD's field production work should also integrate with sponsors/potential sponsors. I tried to do the latter when there suggesting we do whatever we could to provide assistance and schmooze sponsors/potential sponsors. Wasn't picked up on and I think the CFO even has to do collections rather than having a sale staff that doesn't get commission until percentage of money is paid for etc.
    RxMuscle would seem to me to be a somewhat self ensured marketing arm of Species Nutrition, but certainly they don't need in that vein tons of contest coverage in a niche sport saturated with sup companies EVEN THOUGH the owner loves it. I'd think he could make good in other sports like powerlifting, strong man that they cover even cross fit and others with larger numbers of participants. If the bottomline is to be based on ad sales I'd think it has to be somewhat corporate like MD and grow the sale staff comprised of a bunch of knot head promise-making/promise breakers that come and go. Might want more sponsor produced content with their sponsored athletes as well to lower production costs and increase diversity. Most every company is doing their own in-house media production these days. Don't need to pay MD $4500 a page for ads when they can produce a ton of content for their own site for that same money and have their athletes promoting it on their social media. Some of these guys and girls social media accounts rival the big sites anyhow.

Agreed. I think if you are working as a contractor, the micro niche model you spoke of is great for generating a lot of work so you can do this full time. I did the same thing back when I was a writer.

But, the broad yet focused approach I spoke of above was more designed for the online community/magazine type websites, like Rx and MD. I feel both sites lack the right kind of focus. For these sites, BB competitions seem to be a waste of time save for the big two.

I always admired Bill Phillips/MM2K business model...

Gonna for sure check out Joe and Gregg's musclesport venture

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    MD in my view should be more corporate with a larger sales staff and a big portion of Team MD's field production work should also integrate with sponsors/potential sponsors. I tried to do the latter when there suggesting we do whatever we could to provide assistance and schmooze sponsors/potential sponsors. Wasn't picked up on and I think the CFO even has to do collections rather than having a sale staff that doesn't get commission until percentage of money is paid for etc.
    RxMuscle would seem to me to be a somewhat self ensured marketing arm of Species Nutrition, but certainly they don't need in that vein tons of contest coverage in a niche sport saturated with sup companies EVEN THOUGH the owner loves it. I'd think he could make good in other sports like powerlifting, strong man that they cover even cross fit and others with larger numbers of participants. If the bottomline is to be based on ad sales I'd think it has to be somewhat corporate like MD and grow the sale staff comprised of a bunch of knot head promise-making/promise breakers that come and go. Might want more sponsor produced content with their sponsored athletes as well to lower production costs and increase diversity. Most every company is doing their own in-house media production these days. Don't need to pay MD $4500 a page for ads when they can produce a ton of content for their own site for that same money and have their athletes promoting it on their social media. Some of these guys and girls social media accounts rival the big sites anyhow.
    Solid ideas.

Unfortunately, not even the owner of this site can contribute to his own forum, much less these posts about his business. Ideas are ideas. If they are good, they are good, no matter who they come from.

Doesn't spell well for Rx or MD. Both leaders at the helm rarely participate or seem open to new philosophies.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Solid ideas.

Unfortunately, not even the owner of this site can contribute to his own forum, much less these posts about his business. Ideas are ideas. If they are good, they are good, no matter who they come from.

Doesn't spell well for Rx or MD. Both leaders at the helm rarely participate or seem open to new philosophies.
    Dave is doing Rx TV programming, HMR, running Species Nutrition, special events like Bros V Pros, and more. He already participates in that way. Does he even have time to post to the forums with all that's on his plate?

GYM RAT

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Dave is doing Rx TV programming, HMR, running Species Nutrition, special events like Bros V Pros, and more. He already participates in that way. Does he even have time to post to the forums with all that's on his plate?
    Don't know. I certainly understand his dilemma. Sounds like he's stretching himself too thin as is.

Honestly, I'm sure Dave meant well, but I wouldn't have poured all of that cash into covering contests. I hope he has enough cash left over to hire someone to handle generating substantial traffic for the forum. It could be his bread and butter; not contests, TV shows, or the like.

EDIT: If Dave were to increase his information brokering--not just entertainment--he'd definitely need to participate, fore he's known to be an expert in the field. If I were him, I'd round up a few more like him. Thankfully, most of those guys will work for peanuts in exchange for exposure, which they can leverage on their own with coaching or whatever.

Keep in mind, I enjoy the programming, especially HMR, but I do not think they are needed for success. At least for now.
    Last edited by Sandwich; 12-16-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

i'll personally tell Dave to post here every day TODAY

Just like old times

OLYMPIAN

I like Aceto's idea of merely doing an essay on the shows after MD spends the money sending the crew to cover it. Siouxcountry did that for years and built a strong following without ever going to a show. His problem is he doesn't have anything to sell. Obviously Chris & Dave do with training and Species. Thus nothing else really matters including forum view counts. Things will reach equilibrium due to economics across the board as NPC News has become number one in contest coverage. If AMI ever decides to back off putting millions per year in the Olympia hopefully Blechman will step up and do it for us. It really isn't that much after all I see yacht owners in South Florida paying a million per year to moor their yachts. God Bless the rich folks; trickle down works
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

I think Chris & I did pretty good over in Europe LOL
    Me with vids and pics and Chris with play by play and wrap-ups/interviews / essays
    CJ.jpg

OLYMPIAN

Surely. Nobody does multi-media better, which is why you are both in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyStyles View Post
    Me with vids and pics and Chris with play by play and wrap-ups/interviews / essays
    CJ.jpg
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-16-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Roman Citizen of Noble Birth Octavius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyStyles View Post
    Now why would do all that coverage when all you really needed was someone to go to the show and report on who the judges "put in the middle?"

JK..

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

Why cut back!!! Great show. Looking forward to Valentino being a part of Rx

OLYMPIAN

The cheapest way is to purchase the photos from an area photographer who can also shoot a few of the routines or posedown. Much less expensive than airfare, hotels, food, internet access ($500/day in Toronto), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    Now why would do all that coverage when all you really needed was someone to go to the show and report on who the judges "put in the middle?"

JK..

You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work.

I hope you guys arent serious about the Marvin Ward thing

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast