OLYMPIAN

Default Mainstream sees no difference between bodybuilding divisions. Why should you?

Sculpting a body and a reputation

Kenosha’s Adams a champion in body building

Published December 15
    BY BRANDON FEIVOR

Andre Adams recently won a major body building event. ( PHOTO SUBMITTED BY ANDRE ADAMS )

Kenosha’s Andre Adams, 29, won an International Federation of Body Builder’s (IFBB) pro show on Nov. 29, in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Adams took first at the Ferrigno Legacy competition, which was hosted by Lou Ferrigno.

The win earned him a spot at the Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition, Sept. 17-20 in Las Vegas.

According to Adams, an invitation to the Olympia is “as high as you can go in the sport.”

The Olympia was featured in the film “Pumping Iron,” starring Ferrigno, who gained fame as the Incredible Hulk on television in the 1970s, and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

“I’ve met (Ferrigno) a couple times, he’s an awesome guy and very down to earth,” Adams said. “Our sport has a small community and he recognizes what he is to young, aspiring athletes. It was an honor to take part in his show and to win was like a dream come true.”

Former powerlifter

Adams has been part of competitive bodybuilding for about two years.

Previously, he was a powerlifter for six years, but he said that sport has “a lot of risk and little reward,” while bodybuilding has the potential for sponsorships and endorsements.

By winning a pro show, Adams joined some elite company. He said of the thousands who compete in the pro circuit, a select few are crowned champions. Adams said he is the only men’s physique pro in Wisconsin and one of the few in the Midwest.

Busy guy

Adams has found success as a powerlifter and a body builder, but said his greatest challenge has always been managing his time. In addition to his training, Adams said he is a single father of two and is also is a full-time mechanical engineer.

“I get fatigued,” Adams said. “But the saying I stick by is that ‘You do your best and God does the rest.’ He carries you through it.”
    At the pro level, judging and scoring are done in two stages. It starts with pre-judging, where judges inspect the contestants without the distraction of a crowd.

Competitors present themselves to the judges and are compared side-by-side with others in their division. Adams said they “critique your physique” looking for balance, symmetry and proportion among other things. Athletes are given a score and then compete in an evening judging in front of an audience.

Pre-judging is the key

Adams said the most important part of any show is the pre-judging and that posing well is crucial to success. Posing is more than just showmanship, but a means for competitors to hide their “weaknesses.”

“It’s like learning how to dance,” Adams said about posing. “I thought I could just work out hard and eat well, but it’s the difference between being a pro and an amateur. On stage your goal is to show no weaknesses.”

http://www.kenoshanews.com/sports/sc...480445827.html
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-21-2014 at 10:44 AM.

The Godzilla of RX

MPJ, that's hardly cause for us as insiders to not have a problem with the divisions.

The mainstream knows nothing of our subculture. To them anyone with muscle is a BB, while to us, it is clearly evident who is a MPD competitor or a BB competitor based solely on the look.

That said, place Ronnie Coleman next to whoever the hell the MPD 'Olympia' winner is, (Buendia, I think?) and then they'll too know what we do.
    Fill up the syringe...

The Godzilla of RX

Further, and I've mentioned this true story on here in the past, at one of my shows last year, a MPD guy speaking to a BB competitor a few feet away from me, mentioned how he'd rather be a BB but 'hates training legs!'.

Given the fact that the thighs are completely covered, I cannot accept that there aren't many others who pursue MPD over BB for similar reasons.

That alone warrants no inherent respect. I am sure many do train legs, perhaps even hard. But why then, allow them to not be shown off while on stage. makes zero sense.
    Fill up the syringe...

OLYMPIAN

In terms of numbers physique and bikini represent half of the federation membership. They aren't going away and pay half the club dues. Everyone benefits and the billions of people on the planet as with THAT side of the club are on the same page. the US against THEM mentality of a minority of bodybuilding fans and competitors does not make a successful organization or even club house.

I think that it's ok that the general public would think that this guy is a bodybuilder because if this story had a picture of Markus Ruhl in it normal people wouldn't be interested in reading the article they would be too turned off . Plus the guy in the above picture lives the bodybuilding lifestyle probably more then most he just doesn't have massive legs .

HTW

Until the MPD olympia winner cashes a $200,000 check, I'll continue to ignore it

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by DMX View Post
    Until the MPD olympia winner cashes a $200,000 check, I'll continue to ignore it
    Lots of other ways to cash-in on the sport. DLB is a millionaire and it isn't from stage winnings.

HTW

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Lots of other ways to cash-in on the sport. DLB is a millionaire and it isn't from stage winnings.
    This isn't about WPD , name me a millionaire MPD athlete. And WPD is way different than MPD ..

Quote Originally Posted by gilbrt View Post
    I think that it's ok that the general public would think that this guy is a bodybuilder because if this story had a picture of Markus Ruhl in it normal people wouldn't be interested in reading the article they would be too turned off . Plus the guy in the above picture lives the bodybuilding lifestyle probably more then most he just doesn't have massive legs .
    Mainstream articles about Bikini competitors regularly refer to them as "bodybuilders" and no one really bats an eyelash. In reality, most bikini competitors would rather die than be called a bodybuilder because of the actual mainstream associations with female bodybuilders. That interesting little point of interpretation of the term "bodybuilder" has been around at least since the day I stepped into the weightroom at the local Y in 1981. I'm well past letting it bother me. The only relevant point is to stay true to yourself. The rest is just convenient labels for federations to make events, magazines to refer to people who are slightly anywhere on the spectrum from "wear Affliction T-shirts to slightly more "fit" than the average couch potato to chicks who pump pink weights or Ruhl-like beasts. And of course, within our own ranks we perpetually argue about who has or has not "earned" the right to be called a bodybuilder, what a "bodybuilder" is and who gives a shit.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Well spoken SASSY

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by DMX View Post
    This isn't about WPD , name me a millionaire MPD athlete. And WPD is way different than MPD ..
    Its about all divisions within the "bodybuilding contest" umbrella including mens & women's physique, bikini, figure & physique. The criticisms by the so-called hardcore bodybuilding niche goes against everything except that division. Reminds me of the religious disagreements over orthodoxy or not; King James 1611 versus later editions, etc. Again, the mainstream accepts it as all pretty much the same thing for better or worse. In general, the bikini & physique competitor AND crossfitter are likewise bodybuilding by general definition.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-21-2014 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    Mainstream articles about Bikini competitors regularly refer to them as "bodybuilders" and no one really bats an eyelash. In reality, most bikini competitors would rather die than be called a bodybuilder because of the actual mainstream associations with female bodybuilders. That interesting little point of interpretation of the term "bodybuilder" has been around at least since the day I stepped into the weightroom at the local Y in 1981. I'm well past letting it bother me. The only relevant point is to stay true to yourself. The rest is just convenient labels for federations to make events, magazines to refer to people who are slightly anywhere on the spectrum from "wear Affliction T-shirts to slightly more "fit" than the average couch potato to chicks who pump pink weights or Ruhl-like beasts. An d of course, within our own ranks we perpetually argue about who has or has not "earned" the right to be called a bodybuilder, what a "bodybuilder" is and who gives a shit.
    This was a great post ^

The Godzilla of RX

Quote Originally Posted by gilbrt View Post
    Why give such a fuck about mainstream acceptance? If you want that, BB is not for you.

It's a niche sport like many others. That's how many of us like it.
    Fill up the syringe...

Quote Originally Posted by Maniacal View Post
    Why give such a fuck about mainstream acceptance? If you want that, BB is not for you.

It's a niche sport like many others. That's how many of us like it.
    I'm a fan of mass monsters and I wouldn't want to be a men's physique athlete myself but I think there's different parts of our industry that appeal to all types of people that's all mate .

Again, generally the only reason "Bodybuilding" exists because there are federations who define a "look" and get people to stand on stage to judged by a set of somewhat squishy and highly subjective criteria for "qualifications", "titles" and various cash or non-cash awards. This is technically about the only place that the specific flavors of it really matter. Ironically, even how different judges within a given federation, or across federations, would label a given physique varies. Broadly speaking, the act of "building one's body" covers everyone who goes into a gym or intentionally acts to alter their musculature (and subsequently, their bodyfat, etc.) So this label is about what the mainstream media and general public can handle.

So in the big picture, who cares what you call it, unless you seek to gain a particular title in a particular category of a particular federation. Pay attention to yourself.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne