Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Too Many Freakin’ Pros! Commentary by Poptart

Too Many Freakin’ Pros!

Commentary by Poptart

When in doubt, get bigger.

OLYMPIAN

Is Poptart Peter McGough? I disagree with them both. Its the sports media's responsibility to cover the sport not run it. If you don't like the sport there is always other ones to watch. Fans of baseball don't complain about football, but stay busy with their own interests.
    Too many chiefs and sideline quarterbacks. Everyone claims to know how to run the federation best, but the only ones that do it well are currently doing so.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 12-31-2014 at 11:33 PM.

Dave's childhood buddy Mike Popkin ^ was on an old episode of HMR

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

I agree with the article. I have no issues with the new divisions but the fact that you can now turn pro without even winning your competition.
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    I agree with the article. I have no issues with the new divisions but the fact that you can now turn pro without even winning your competition.
    Kind of like all the boxing federations diluting the quality of the champions. Go back 20 years and every pro coming in had a shot at winning titles in their first couple of years,not any more.

The main question for me is who or what has benefited from the increased number of IFBB pros today versus 20 yrs ago? There are American pro bodybuilders I've never heard of.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by D_T View Post
    The main question for me is who or what has benefited from the increased number of IFBB pros today versus 20 yrs ago? There are American pro bodybuilders I've never heard of.
    Benefits the people that capitalize on their own pro status and the sport more generally. A thousand competitors show up for nationals to compete rather than 200. That should speak for itself. The fact that people are sitting home watching American Ninja Warriors reruns rather than filling the audience suggests a lack of creative capitalization of the event as a media product.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Benefits the people that capitalize on their own pro status and the sport more generally. A thousand competitors show up for nationals to compete rather than 200. That should speak for itself. The fact that people are sitting home watching American Ninja Warriors reruns rather than filling the audience suggests a lack of creative capitalization of the event as a media product.

American Ninja = EXCITEMENT ....PRO SHOWS = NONE ...Quarter turns = BORING, except when fitness is involved so yes I agree it does lack creativity but really what can expect ? how do you add creativity to quarter turns?? most all divisions are quarter turns
    Last edited by lil mama; 01-01-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Musclepapa, I'm not covering the sport, I'm a fan of it and as such that entitles me to an opinion. My opinion is there are too many pros. Name 1 other "sport" where you can simply walk in and become a pro by training for less than 60 days and competing in 1 contest? Only thing to me that is mildly similar is a beauty pageant, something which bodybuilding has been accused of being in the past and an analogy no one likes.

I wasn't trying to flame the IFBB or NPC, I'm simply offering my view point. I don't know whether or not any of the people in power have thought about this or not, I only know what I think. My gut reaction in most cases when someone tells me they are pro is one of nonchalance. It's the same when I hear someone tell me they are a black belt. I'm not trying to disparage them but I'm also not necessarily as impressed as I would have been 10 years ago.

I know there are a number of what I would call legitimate pros on this board so I would love to hear what they think.

Incidentally, I write my articles to provoke thought, debate and if possible inspire.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by lil mama View Post
    American Ninja = EXCITEMENT ....PRO SHOWS = NONE ...Quarter turns = BORING, except when fitness is involved so yes I agree it does lack creativity but really what can expect ? how do you add creativity to quarter turns?? most all divisions are quarter turns

Just imagine Peter McGough doing play by play with David Baye taking pictures of American Ninja Warriors rather than the networks method of taking average looking people and putting them in an athletic event with pre-contest coverage of them and family and/or friends then rapid replay and serious but positive commentary during the actual competition along with showing simultaneously reaction of the family/friends that were part of their pre-show build up.
    If McGough and Baye were covering it there would instead be David posting picks of some average looking dudes he doesn't know the name of falling from a rope in the water saying he's too old and looks like crap. And McGough would be saying this crop of competitors isn't nearly as good as the ones thirty seasons ago. Same old story.
    PETERNINJA.jpg

As Johnny Styles noted in another thread Dave, him and their lineup of hosts make it interesting for their audience doing other things. If that can somehow be more integrated in the show process I think it would be more of an interesting bit of programming.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-01-2015 at 03:54 PM.

There's no question that these shows can be made more interesting and appealing to the audience. If they can put curling on tv and get an audience ,why can't they do the same for bodybuilding? The question that you (and everyone else) should be asking is why don't they? Or for what reason don't they want to?

OLYMPIAN

I believe the strength of the federations is creating a strong potential for it.
    There was never mention of bringing bodybuilding back to regular programming on a network, but only the Olympia running as a stand alone production. Thats a deviation from 1)serial programming where a certain number of episodes will run and its longevity(cancelled, extended a season, put in syndication) is gauged based upon viewership. 2)sporting federations selling broadcast rights to a network that's highly skilled at delivering coverage as a sort of template.

None of the media outlets that currently cover bodybuilding have the technical backbone or expertise in providing television production quality broadcasting. While bodybuilding.com does pull off Olympia streaming in concert with AMI its still not the sort of immersive experience the networks pull off with football doing replays, backstory cutaways and creating tension and interest through their layout of the content. That's hard to do if its only a once a year endeavor as the Olympia has been for Bodybuilding.com & AMI and if they didn't intend to grow it to network quality sports coverage.
    This looked to be a variation on what BB.com and AMI were partnering on with much more backstory content as they had crews backstage setup with stationary studio camera & mobile Red Camera crew. Who was going to do the post production? Who has the knowledge at the network level to sort through all the stories and present a story that has integrity, continuity and is till gripping that will maintain interest? Post production with video if you don't know the content is a nightmare. Its bad enough when we work in the industry to figure out how best to create something interesting if all we have is guys wandering around covered up backstage, not talking and then showing them on stage.
    Again, I think the health of the federations is creating opportunities and interest.
    AIM that bought up the Robert Kennedy titles does some sorts of event production with their niche titles. So does Bonnier Publishing with over 30 titles many that have various sports associated with them. They have partnered with some of these cable networks to provide television coverage of some of the events that their titles are inextrecably linked to with glued together by sponsor/advertising dollars that support the industry, sport and them and their network media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    There's no question that these shows can be made more interesting and appealing to the audience. If they can put curling on tv and get an audience ,why can't they do the same for bodybuilding? The question that you (and everyone else) should be asking is why don't they? Or for what reason don't they want to?

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

This guy. O.o

I understand all of that however, Crossfit started as a grass roots movement. The very first Crossfit Games was held on a ranch in California. There was no tv coverage, no internet coverage or otherwise. It evolved to video clips and some background videos being posted on their main page. It now has live streams with commentary as well as replays on espn.

Doesn't seem like too far a stretch to ask for something similar from the IFBB. Why doesn't that happen? Say what you want, but Dave and Rx tried to bring some creative ideas to bodybuilding and they get shut out of the biggest show 2 years running for BS reasons.

OLYMPIAN

Good point about Crossfit, but their competitions are run more like strongman with separate athletic events versus quarter turns and posing comparisons. That's based on assumptions though as I've never watched a crossfit televised game.
    One thing about it most any media outlet on good terms with the NPC & IFBB can work with a wide range of show promoters and I think internationally there is something like 1400 shows per year. The Prague Pro was televised on their national television station in 2014. Helps that the show promoter also owns a hockey franchise and the facility they broadcast those games from.

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I understand all of that however, Crossfit started as a grass roots movement. The very first Crossfit Games was held on a ranch in California. There was no tv coverage, no internet coverage or otherwise. It evolved to video clips and some background videos being posted on their main page. It now has live streams with commentary as well as replays on espn.

Doesn't seem like too far a stretch to ask for something similar from the IFBB. Why doesn't that happen? Say what you want, but Dave and Rx tried to bring some creative ideas to bodybuilding and they get shut out of the biggest show 2 years running for BS reasons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast