Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Ha! I'm a broken record. Found this while searching, dated March 2012...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Dave Palumbo does the best interviews in bodybuilding bar none.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt C View Post
    Dave has the experience of being a bodybuilder as well as a bodybuilding journalist and prep coach and I think all of that shines in the work he does. I do agree that Dave is the best and there are a couple of others in the industry who I want to try to emulate.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Blechman made a huge mistake firing Dave.
    Its curious how things have come full circle for Steve.
    The reason for firing Dave supposedly was he was promoting Species without paying for the right while doing work for MD. However, look at things now.

One of his biggest sponsors Prime/IronMag farmed one of his principle sponsored athletes Evan and now does the majority of his media work with a revolt suggested now with veiled threats that they may start their own forum and take Evan with them if he doesn't get a good contract. And Big Sexy serves as the intermediary with IronMag Labs while being a "Team MD" figurehead wherein his most regular contribution is prep videos of his girlfriend. And guys like Bob wield so much influence how could you ever consider not giving him whatever he wants even though his official role is as what(?) vbulletin forum poster and interviewer at shows where the view counts typically all suck?

Heck Dave could do interviews, play by play, hold the video camera and input the competitor names and tag photos all at once. MD will likely have a dozen or two people covering the Arnold with most of the participants not only getting paid by Blechman, but have their hands in someone else's pocket at the same time. And ALL of them claiming everything is just fine. Of course its in their interest to claim so and not rock the boat. Yeah, things are better all right, just not really all that better for Muscular Development magazine or Blechman's bottomline
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-25-2015 at 11:46 PM.

MPJ:

Your last post is the 1st I've agreed with you on 100%! Most downfalls are simply brought about by ego and greed...

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    MPJ:
    Your last post is the 1st I've agreed with you on 100%! Most downfalls are simply brought about by ego and greed...
    I'd charge typically $350/day plus travel expenses and work 18hrs or more hours for them per day (approx. $20/hr all told considering unbilled post production time) doing photo, video, tagging whatever was needed with my own expensive gear. Some charged more than $1000 per day for only doing one specific task and went on to do whatever other work they had planned while there on Steve's dime. Then I was told by the editor that I was disloyal because I told them they shouldn't be posting negative comments about federation officials? WTF. My charges with expenses alone for a three day event like the Arnold would be between $1500-2000 and I was a nobody. They have had two dozen people there at once with most of them doing little to nothing and often costing much more than me while working for other companies. Its a cake job for most at Team MD and a celebration of all their self worth.

My shoot rate with competitors is $75/hr with a two hour minimum with the potential to make more money by noon working for athletes at nearly 30 shows I cover a year than I made with them working nearly around the clock. I wasn't disloyal, dishonest, greedy or full of myself and to be accused of it will continue to be a thorn in my side until the fat lady's last song.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-26-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Its curious how things have come full circle for Steve.
    The reason for firing Dave supposedly was he was promoting Species without paying for the right while doing work for MD. However, look at things now.

One of his biggest sponsors Prime/IronMag farmed one of his principle sponsored athletes Evan and now does the majority of his media work with a revolt suggested now with veiled threats that they may start their own forum and take Evan with them if he doesn't get a good contract. And Big Sexy serves as the intermediary with IronMag Labs while being a "Team MD" figurehead wherein his most regular contribution is prep videos of his girlfriend. And guys like Bob wield so much influence how could you ever consider not giving him whatever he wants even though his official role is as what(?) vbulletin forum poster and interviewer at shows where the view counts typically all suck?

Heck Dave could do interviews, play by play, hold the video camera and input the competitor names and tag photos all at once. MD will likely have a dozen or two people covering the Arnold with most of the participants not only getting paid by Blechman, but have their hands in someone else's pocket at the same time. And ALL of them claiming everything is just fine. Of course its in their interest to claim so and not rock the boat. Yeah, things are better all right, just not really all that better for Muscular Development magazine or Blechman's bottomline
    It's laughable, bro. And all of the things that I told the Brand X boss man in my "exit interview" have all been coming true, as well.

Just wait until you see what Gregg Valentino & I have in store. My points will be emphasized even stronger from that mid-September day in the conference room.

MPJ, I have the feeling that whether you were working for BrandX or anyone else, that you would work equally as hard.

I worked for a huge corporation in multiple areas over the course of 4 years. Basically, any dept. that needed to be fixed, they didn't ask me, they just moved me to. I took a $60K/mo. cost center and turned it into a $225/mo. profit center; I took a project the previous person told them would allegedly take 6 months to complete and finished it in 3 weeks; just to name a few things: I was literally told by a Sr. VP that I should just milk my job and do nothing. Sorry, it wasn't in my nature and thus they ended telling me that they couldn't find a position to match my abilities (basically I was making alot of kiss ass/do nothings look very bad) and gave me a severance package. It still angers me to this day, some people say I shouldn't be angry b/c look how I ended up.... I say, I would have likely been equally successful had they recognized my talents.... my point, no one likes being treated unfairly and no one likes being under appreciated, no matter where you eventually end up.... My opinion, you won't forget, but you can use it to motivate you....

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    MPJ, I have the feeling that whether you were working for BrandX or anyone else, that you would work equally as hard.

I worked for a huge corporation in multiple areas over the course of 4 years. Basically, any dept. that needed to be fixed, they didn't ask me, they just moved me to. I took a $60K/mo. cost center and turned it into a $225/mo. profit center; I took a project the previous person told them would allegedly take 6 months to complete and finished it in 3 weeks; just to name a few things: I was literally told by a Sr. VP that I should just milk my job and do nothing. Sorry, it wasn't in my nature and thus they ended telling me that they couldn't find a position to match my abilities (basically I was making alot of kiss ass/do nothings look very bad) and gave me a severance package. It still angers me to this day, some people say I shouldn't be angry b/c look how I ended up.... I say, I would have likely been equally successful had they recognized my talents.... my point, no one likes being treated unfairly and no one likes being under appreciated, no matter where you eventually end up.... My opinion, you won't forget, but you can use it to motivate you....
    YEP! The thrill of getting things done motivates lots of us. I don't require or even want accolades, but where I'm doing my job above and beyond the call of duty and ya disrespect me,...well hang onto your hat. I'm just some chump and tool to some people and others know me for the reputation builder and destroyer I'm capable of being having worked for corporations internationally and politicians on the left and right. Minored in philosophy and I can appreciate most any side of an issue and like an attorney will argue a position with the vociferousness of a starving dog snarling over a bone. Nothing personal though really even though everything is fair game. All in a days work.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-26-2015 at 01:37 PM.

You can soon say goodbye to all of those exclusive contracts. It was great to have when there was no Facebook or Twitter around but social media and internet magazine report things and pictures faster than a monthly magazine can ever do.

Expect contacts to pay much less but give more flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugartits Vince G. View Post
    You can soon say goodbye to all of those exclusive contracts. It was great to have when there was no Facebook or Twitter around but social media and internet magazine report things and pictures faster than a monthly magazine can ever do.

Expect contacts to pay much less but give more flexibility.
    It's kind of a double edged sword in a way. If you have a guy locked up, you also want him to have a great social media presence and promote his association with your publication. So you can't restrict what he can do on those pages because it is detrimental to you in the long run.

This is the way that it can work for the magazines (although I think exclusive contracts are ridiculous): The athlete is posting iPone selfies and little Vine clips, not highly produced videos and hardcore photo shoots (with, let's face it, Photoshopped work).

So their fans may get a taste on Twitter, but they would have to go to the exclusive place's outlet for the higher end production.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    It's kind of a double edged sword in a way. If you have a guy locked up, you also want him to have a great social media presence and promote his association with your publication. So you can't restrict what he can do on those pages because it is detrimental to you in the long run.

This is the way that it can work for the magazines (although I think exclusive contracts are ridiculous): The athlete is posting iPone selfies and little Vine clips, not highly produced videos and hardcore photo shoots (with, let's face it, Photoshopped work).

So their fans may get a taste on Twitter, but they would have to go to the exclusive place's outlet for the higher end production.
    Yea, considering that athletes can now make a lot more money on their own rather than being sponsored....Blechman has to dangle a much larger piece of bait in order to reel in a fish and he can no longer afford the bait.

The one thing I think of is Shredz. They're entire business is mainly social media and they just KILL IT. No print ads, no banners, etc....and they KILL IT. I see what Louis Uridel was talking about now

Quote Originally Posted by Sugartits Vince G. View Post
    Yea, considering that athletes can now make a lot more money on their own rather than being sponsored....Blechman has to dangle a much larger piece of bait in order to reel in a fish and he can no longer afford the bait.

The one thing I think of is Shredz. They're entire business is mainly social media and they just KILL IT. No print ads, no banners, etc....and they KILL IT. I see what Louis Uridel was talking about now
    From what I know, Shredz uses Internet sensations rather than your regular athletes and that is a pretty wise move on their part, knowing that this guy or girl already has a huge following.

OLYMPIAN

What I don't get is how a dying industry (print magazines) do themselves favors using celebrities and then recycling them and the articles over and over and over and over again?

Some aren't celebrities or competitors, but merely stock images they bought.

OLYMPIAN

Why not change the name of Oxygen to Jaime Eason?

OLYMPIAN

Chelsea Northrup made the cover of Yoga magazine after they purchased one of her photos for a cover shot off a stock photography site that her husband shot. No she doesn't do yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    What I don't get is how a dying industry (print magazines) do themselves favors using celebrities and then recycling them and the articles over and over and over and over again?

Some aren't celebrities or competitors, but merely stock images they bought.

I'm not a big fan of magazines using a stock image for the cover and not having a one-on-one interview with the person inside the issue. That's kind of like the "writing from the couch" blogosphere bullshit.

If you're going to tout someone famous on your cover, back it the fuck up with an interview. If not, then go with the (GAG ORDER EDIT)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast