Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OLYMPIAN

Without a doubt your interviewing skills and depth of knowledge with those you are speaking to from the Golden Era of Bodybuilding makes for excellent content. I think you are going to benefit from splitting your programs into parts where long AND offering in small file sizes for people to listen to as podcasts. In that way they can be listened to during cardio and during workouts. You can also in this way take advantage of RSS feeds via the various podcast networks as well and people will know automatically when you add one and not have to look for it on youtube, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
    For my new Bodybuilding Legends Show on FloridaPhysique.com, the interviews have been about 90 min long. The idea of the show is to talk extensively with the champion bodybuilders from the '70's, '80's and '90's and go into detail about their competitive careers and the bodybuilders they competed against and trained with. I am now splitting the interviews up into two parts and will also have the shows available in podcast for those who want to listen to them instead of watch them. The people who have watched the shows love them for the detailed interviews. I'm not going to make them shorter and compromise on the quality. However, on our training videos for FloridaPhysique.com, we have recently shortened them from 8 min long to only 2 min long because, as mentioned previously, people won't watch them if they are longer than a couple minutes. There are good and bad points about the internet age but the growing attention span deficit is one of the negatives.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-29-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    lol easy for a government employee to say
    Some of us have to consider trends related to technology and consumer behavior.
    Curt works for the government?

Maybe that's why the IRS and other sundry government agencies have been contacting me. I am never telling him the inside scoop again.
    Last edited by Mac; 01-29-2015 at 06:05 AM.

Natural Mr. Olympia John Hansen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Without a doubt your interviewing skills and depth of knowledge with those you are speaking to from the Golden Era of Bodybuilding makes for excellent content. I think you are going to benefit from splitting your programs into parts where long AND offering in small file sizes for people to listen to as podcasts. In that way they can be listened to during cardio and during workouts. You can also in this way take advantage of RSS feeds via the various podcast networks as well and people will know automatically when you add one and not have to look for it on youtube, etc.
    Thanks John and great advice. I know you are much more knowledgeable about this area than I am. I am learning as I go what works and what doesn't.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by John Hansen View Post
    Thanks John and great advice. I know you are much more knowledgeable about this area than I am. I am learning as I go what works and what doesn't.
    I've got much more experience doing things that have failed to make me any money along the way on the media business side I'd say John lol. Something I think that would benefit your package of offerings is using "vimeo pro"(https://vimeo.com/pro/new) where you can have a brief teaser on the front end and then offer either the rest of the clip as a download opportunity or membership toeverything as Mike Sansevero of North American Bodies and myself are doing separately for our businesses. Considering you do this for a living like myself and Mike although we love providing content that people appreciate and that we love to produce we also have to get paid. That's really rewarding too

Consider the Prime Cuts sort of footage for your members section at vimeo rather like USA Muscle/Repetrope have done over the years. Thus, you can have interviews with people on youtube & via podcast outlets (with RSS) and from your shoots with people display on youtube & special segments up close panning the bodies, etc with some commentary in your pay section and watch the money flow into your bank account (hopefully )

Last edited by Musclepapa John; 01-30-2015 at 08:47 AM.

OLYMPIAN

Thirty-one days out from the Arnold Sports Festival and there are no big media sites doing comprehensive pre-show coverage of even the men's open division not to mention all the other divisions. Surely it isn't any one private sector businesses responsibility to provide fans the scoop on the depth of field for the open division, 212, fitness, figure, physique & bikini, BUT it is a bit disheartening.
    Considering for transparencies sake I'll state I'm in the business of doing paid shoots and promote my original content with those competitors that choose to hire me. I choose not to afford the time to go through the roster and try to get information on every competitor especially ones that aren't paying me. It would in a way take away from those I do promote and who likewise promote me. I guess this is the problem with much of the muscle media that we are focused on our own little corner of the business and lose sight of the big picture, but then lay blame somewhere else expecting someone else to do the heavy lifting at their own expense.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 02-03-2015 at 10:02 AM.

OLYMPIAN

BRAVO to Sandwich conversing with bodybuilder coverage guy David Baye today, "Stardom, fame, whatever should NEVER be on the person behind the scenes making it happen. Never. It should always be about the talent. Anyone who publicizes themselves beyond the byline are attention whores. Plain and simple, period. After all, it's not like the production crew are committing some massive act of bravery here. They are paid to point and click."

Further, it usually is about "us" guys behind the scenes or the mouthpiece entertainment types, which is a goodly reason there is less coverage and promotion of the sport rather than more. In fairness to David Baye Bravo to him in being able to find Facebook pictures of Arnold competitors to share as coverage considering his media partner doesn't have that many Arnold competitors on lock.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 02-05-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davidcua View Post
    NPC News online ?
    Let those monkeys take the reigns. God knows they've manoeuvred themselves into the preferred position whilst levying on the family connections.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Joel's hamburger View Post
    Let those monkeys take the reigns. God knows they've manoeuvred themselves into the preferred position whilst levying on the family connections.
    I resemble that monkey comment as a proud contributor.
    The federation of most every sport reserves authority over media coverage. They do a great job and its actually more comprehensive then any other source filling a big void while other media finds their way.

Natural Mr. Olympia John Hansen's Avatar

I'm doing a 5 part Arnold Classic preview for the IFBB Pros from Florida who are competing on FloridaPhysique.com. Here's Part 1 with Karina Nascimento and Tara Ramos. - http://www.floridaphysique.com/#!flo...report-23/cuic

RX MEMBER

In 2014, Repetrope/USA Muscle had a contract for video coverage for the following NPC amateur shows: Junior Nationals, Southern States, Teen Collegiate & Masters Nationals, & Nationals. They do pump room, backstage posing, prejudge, & finals videos for both men's & women's competition. They have also typically covered a Tampa pro/am show that has pump room, prejudge & finals for the pro show. They release current material in the following formats: DVD, Blu-ray, video downloads. It takes several months for the material to be finished (the Masters show is in July & the DVDs were just released), but it's a small company & the work is intensive. These films are well made & offer a clear & thorough record of the show.

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post
    In 2014, Repetrope/USA Muscle had a contract for video coverage for the following NPC amateur shows: Junior Nationals, Southern States, Teen Collegiate & Masters Nationals, & Nationals. They do pump room, backstage posing, prejudge, & finals videos for both men's & women's competition. They have also typically covered a Tampa pro/am show that has pump room, prejudge & finals for the pro show. They release current material in the following formats: DVD, Blu-ray, video downloads. It takes several months for the material to be finished (the Masters show is in July & the DVDs were just released), but it's a small company & the work is intensive. These films are well made & offer a clear & thorough record of the show.

Very good information. They do great work with excellent content.

RX MEMBER

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by hifrommike65 View Post

Consistently the best video coverage.

Had to up my game and drop a sizable amount on upgrading to 4K video production camera as I'm planning to revert back this season to doing show photo & video as part of my online magazines and musclepapa.com coverage and little to no contract work as I'd done for the prior four years when I needed to be able to travel compact without checking a bag traveling anywhere in the world.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 02-06-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12