Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Default Sassy69 2015: Good AZ New!

I wanted to start a new thread w/ a new program for 2015. From previous attempts over the last 4 years, I've been floundering all over the place trying to get back into a consistent & productive schedule, but perpetually being plagued by existing soft tissue problems, previously existing push/pull imbalances and just "age", along w/ a couple cross country relocations for work and starting life in a new place again.

It appears I have finally located a local trainer at my gym, who can give me all the things I'm looking for to address all of the shit that my body is dealing with while getting me mentally engaged in the process again. I had an initial consult yesterday and feeling pretty good about it. I have the first actual training session on Wed, 3/3.

The diet is initially more low-carb-ish to get the current flab starting to come off. (Diet looks to be about 1850 cals, 24% carbs, 33% fat, 43% protein) while spending the next 3-4 weeks focusing on mobility / flexibility and literally a lot of just retraining my body to work the right way. Items to be addressed:
    - my current soft tissue issues (right shoulder, right arm tendonitis, mildly scoliosis-y thoracic spine & neck, slight torque in my hips, uber tight IT band on the left leg, etc.) with chiro + ART + acupuncture + laser/ultra sound to promote healing
    - new custom orthotics for my feet, recently re-diagnosed w/ "metatarsal overload".

After that, start back up w/ the per-muscle group training to rebuild strength, get back into "liking" the gym. Also modifying my approach to cardio to get more muscle-activation. So the expectation is that in about 3 months I should be a mostly functional person again. WOHOO!

After that ... Physique in the fall maybe.

Anyway, I haven't felt this good about a new start in well over 4 years when everything started falling apart.

And noting I turn 50 this summer, I am in no mood to feel or look like I'm 50, so time to get this shit back in order!
    Last edited by sassy69; 03-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

OK, I will bump this by replying to it. I really like to read training journals that tell me something about the person, not just sets and reps.

Kind of riffing on what you said about being around "People who get you", I was just thinking this at the gym today.

The gym is like a school...some don't even enroll, some go but don't learn anything, some learn stuff, some become experts and the elite few...."Us" join a after class club and pursue things most people can't even imagine!

When I am prepping the air smells sweeter, sunsets are more beautiful and life actually slows down a bit so I can see everything happening around me!

Keep going!
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

Quote Originally Posted by swingslammer View Post
    OK, I will bump this by replying to it. I really like to read training journals that tell me something about the person, not just sets and reps.

Kind of riffing on what you said about being around "People who get you", I was just thinking this at the gym today.

The gym is like a school...some don't even enroll, some go but don't learn anything, some learn stuff, some become experts and the elite few...."Us" join a after class club and pursue things most people can't even imagine!

When I am prepping the air smells sweeter, sunsets are more beautiful and life actually slows down a bit so I can see everything happening around me!

Keep going!
    It's funny how it puts a structure around your life ... a VERY RIGID structure LOL! The last show I did, I did all my own prep, and it was like living in a bubble for 5 months where I was only talking to myself in my head. I had a couple friends who are competitors and great supporters, but I was literally having to beg people at the gym to help me get progress pix, and they were always people who, altho great people & friends, sucked moose balls at operating a camera, thus my progress pix sucked. I learned how to set up my camera and take them myself, even setting up a place on my front porch to catch good sun at a certain time of day ... so in just about every aspect of the prep, I did it all myself - because asking for help in any way just crashed & burned. That really sucked. Not the experience I wanted.

This time around, I actually have a couple people who are here locally who I can rely on and have done it before so aren't totally clueless when I ask for help w/ something. To be able to have some people around me who get it, who I don't have to explain things to or worry about working around their schedule so I don't have to burden them w/ my diet limitations or training schedule. That sort of shit just adds more stress to the whole thing. 10 years ago I stopped bothering to even tell my family I was competing until after the show just because I was more work to explain the "why" on the phone, than to even bother bringing it up. Just another day in my life.

As I've said for nearly every show, I want to do THIS one right and enjoy it. It hasn't happened yet, so I'm forever hopeful!

And honestly I'm really hoping to just expand my social group w/ friends who also get it. That's another thing that hasn't happened in a very long time.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/4/15 (Wed)

DAY 1 w/ the new trainer!

AM: acupuncture + ART - focus: right shoulder & arm
    - I have 2 of these scheduled / per week for a couple weeks, and the prognosis is that in 5-6 sessions, most of the soft tissue tightness should be gone (HAPPY DANCE!)

PM: Stability / Neural paths training focus

WU (focus on glute activation): 5 min Arc Trainer + 5 min step mill + 5 min Arc Trainer

Training: legs (again focusing on ham/glute activation
    - lying leg curl: 40/15 x 2 60/15
    - HS leg press (close stance, heels high contract only to 90 degrees): 90/15 x 2 180/15 x 2
    - traveling dynamic lunge stretch + elbow drop: 2 x 30 yds
    - super:
    -- BOSU assisted squat: 2 x 15
    -- alt side "hydrants" (Yes, the 'lift a leg" motion..): 2 x 15/per side

Cardio: 5 min stepmill + 5 min Arc Trainer + 5 min stepmill
    Foam roller: outside quad focus (Very tight tendons, couple big knots)
    Last edited by sassy69; 03-05-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    ~Jack Lalanne

Very cool to see you back at it and with a light at the end of the tunnel on the shoulder thing too. You're going to feel like you're in someone else's body by next month! :-D
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 03-05-2015 at 12:24 AM.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyday View Post
    Very cool to see you back at it and with a light at the end of the tunnel on the shoulder thing too. You're going to feel like you're in someone else's body by next month! :-D
    Really hoping!!!! It's pretty interesting (and humbling) seeing how much the neural pathways can be compromised by non-use or "wrong use" of muscles that should not be doing the work. It's so true - FORM is KING!
    ~Jack Lalanne

I know that all too well from my own experiences. But I can tell you now that I'm on the mend myself, while the rehab will be difficult at times you will find you feel better every day. AND once you start to regain the use of muscles your body shut off, you will very quickly become aware the moment your body starts slacking again.

About a year ago I stumbled accross an article on glute activation by Bret Contreras titled, "Dispelling the Glute Myth". Very cool article in case you're interested. I still do some of the activation exercises today. A quick Google search should get you there.

That's a good one - I saw it on T-Nation years ago!
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/5/15 - Thurs

Busy day today - up at 7 am to prep for a client call at 9 am, 2 hrs to prep a document for another call at 1 pm and a bunch of calls between 10 - 3:30 pm. Got an offer from my boss to move into a different position that has a lot more "new stuff" to learn & do and a little more travel (since I do next to none now - when you work remotely, it's good to be enough involved that people don't forget you're there). Chiro at 5, got adjusted and then he did some laser on my shoulder / elbow / wrist to help further break up all the knots and crap that the ART guy was working on yesterday.

AM: nuttin

PM:
    continuing foam roller + stretch + cardio
    20 min DeFranco WU + Foam Roller
    cardio: 10 min Arc Trainer + 10 min Step Mill + 10 min Arc trainer
    15 min Foam Roller
    Last edited by sassy69; 03-06-2015 at 12:50 AM.
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/6/15 - TGIFnF!

Awesome but long day "at the office" - got an offer for a different, much more career-expanding and interesting position at work, and very timely... been gettin' pretty slow and boring around the old desk. So very cool and motivating! Nice when you feel good about where your time & effort is being expended when it has been questionable as of late.

AM: nuttin

PM: Cardio & Foam Roll/Stretch
    - 1 hr ART --- sublimely painful but producing great results on my shoulder / right arm with 2 sessions so far!
    - 30 min stretch / foam roller / general indulgence in working the kinks out from the "leg day shuffle" produced by Wed's workout.
    - 30 min ham/glute activation cardio: 10 min Arc Trainer + 10 min Stepmill + 10 min Arc Trainer
    - 20 min foam roller / stretch
    Last edited by sassy69; 03-07-2015 at 06:43 AM.
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/7/15 - Sat

AM: slept in

PM: legs - Was pretty impressed w/ this workout because I did it w/o my knee sleeves and no knee pain.
    Cardio WU: 5 min Arc Training + 5 min step mill + 5 min Arc Trainer
    lying leg curl: 45/15 x 2 40/15 x 2
    HS Leg Press: sled/20 (checkin' the knee alignment) 90/20 x 2 180/20 x 2
    alt side walking lunges + same side elbow to the floor stretch: to "3rd cone" (30 ft?) and back
    super:
    - sissy squats on BOSU: 20 x 3
    - alt sides "fire hydrant": 20 x 3
    cardio: 5 min stepmill + 5 min arc trainer + 5 min stepmill

10 min foam roller
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/8/15 - Sunday

Don't forget to "spring forward"! Everyone does it except Arizona, so even tho I don't have to change my clock, all my conference calls are w/ people in different timezones, so my whole schedule has shifted back to Pacific time instead of Mountain. Sort of annoying...

Aside from continuing the diet, the only "fitness-related" thing I did today was get on the scale this morning before breakfast. Down 7 lb from last Wed. And 7 lb above my last competition weight. Yay! At least I'm dumping some water now! Still have hyuge bod comp changes to make tho - always a great reminder of how unimportant weight is compared to body comp. So many people (women, especially) mindfuck themselves over what the scale says.

And I mowed the lawn

What I like about the schedule so far is that it's giving me room to both get the neural paths working the right way again, as well as giving me time to actually get in condition for normal training. In the recent months, leg day usually left me crippled for the week. Right now I just feel the exhaustion from the workouts in a good way, w/o being unable to sit, stand or even move around w/o being in agony.
    ~Jack Lalanne

3/9/15 - Mon

PM:
    Cardio only: 10 min Arc Trainer + 10 min step mill + 10 min Arc Trainer + 10 min stepmill
    20 min foam roller

3/10/15 - Tues

PM:
    1 hr ART - focused on right elbow @ insertion points and IT bands
    Cardio only: 20 min Arc Trainer + 20 min stepmill << insanely improved after ART!
    40 min foam rolling and stretching -- amazing release of some really tight areas in my glute/ham, so I wanted to just work the crap out of it w/ the foam roller!
    ~Jack Lalanne

Good luck Sassy.I am 55 years old so I fight through some of the same issues.To me getting into a routine and staying in it is imperative.You know not 2 weeks on and 3 off.And stretching at night before bed.Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Good luck Sassy.I am 55 years old so I fight through some of the same issues.To me getting into a routine and staying in it is imperative.You know not 2 weeks on and 3 off.And stretching at night before bed.Good luck
    X2 on staying in a routine AND stretching before bed!

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast