RX MEMBER

Default Muscle Maturity & Patience

They say that good thing come to those that wait. Well unfortunately I (as maybe many of you) are probably struggling to accept this idea. I have been lifting for 4 years now, but I only really seriously started training in Aug '14. I have been eating clean and living lean and yet I STILL don't see the muscular definition and shape I expect to see at my body fat percentage. When I complained to my husband, who has been lifting for 15 years, he mentioned the idea of muscle maturity. I understood and realized what he was explaining to me made sense, especially when I look at many of the stunning physiques on this site, they do belong to people over 30 (don't be offended young people yall look good too, just read the following article). I still deciced to look around to learn more about this phenomenon, just to make sure it was real. Sure enough, I found many articles but this one in particular made a lot of sense to me. I decided to share this article because I know I am not the only one out there lacking patience. Sometimes the answer is not train/ diet harder, sometimes the answer is just be patient. So read this and feel free to post some thoughts.

http://www.mikelipowski.com/2014/06/...al-appearance/

There are some basic contributions to how you "look" in terms of musculature - your genetics (which is the sum of your inherited "build" as well as metabolism) and your lifestyle (which is the sum total of eating to grow, lifting hard to tear down & rebuild muscle & recovery to allow that rebuilding time). But generally I say if you want to see a dramatic change in your body, you need to spend the time to allow your body to acclimate to the changes you are forcing. Meaning you can get really hardcore w/ a 'build & grow' lifestyle, but then you need to allow time for your whole body to be able to support those results - everything from the weakest links (joints, tendons, ligaments) to your metabolism.

I started lifting 34 years ago. The first couple years of that was primarily lifting and not diet, but the lifting was consistent. After 20 years I started actually dieting for growth & competition. That's when I saw significant changes built on top of my 20 yr base. Since for 10 yrs I built & cut for competition. The last 4 years I"ve tried to build & refine the mass I have, but a shoulder injury & some hereditary foot problems, along w/ "age" have impacted the consistency of the lifting I have done in the past, so I've lost some muscle.

Here's where a great illustration of muscle maturity comes into play - the most dramatic muscle loss I've experienced was in my quads - which I've always had to work ultra hard to build. Most of the rest has retained a very decent percentage of the mass I have built over the years. The tell will be as I'm rehabbing my shoulder and dealing w/ the foot problems and a lifetime of soft tissue injuries, to see what I can bring back and in some cases, (w/ the help of my current trainer) maybe even grow some stuff that never really grew very well to begin with.

Here's the thing about body transformations - you HAVE to be patient because you can only come to "own" the results that your body has had time & consistency of the "lifestyle" to support & retain. If you expect results any faster than that, they just won't remain. But the beauty of approaching this lifestyle w/ patience & consistency, but also paying attention to the quality of your day to day training and daily achievements, is that when you aren't looking for results, that's when you'll see the miracle of muscle maturity.

It is the journey, not the destination. Nothing I hate more than when people say "I can't" or "I have shitty genetics" or "this isn't working" after 30 days of trying. It takes time. Think in years, not months. If you've only been at it for "months" or even < 5 years, you haven't even scratched the surface of learning how your body responds to different diets & training, to the consistency of any of these as well as the myriad variations of exercise, reps, intensity, weight, etc.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

RX MEMBER

Yes patience is my downfall. I have very little but ultimatley I know what i want will take time. generally my complaints come when i'm tired or hungry. I no longer use "I can't" because i know that I can and I will succeed. As far as genetics, i have never been one to use that as an excuse. I think I come from a pretty good genetic background... so here i will lift and wait patiently

Quote Originally Posted by kountroyale View Post
    Yes patience is my downfall. I have very little but ultimatley I know what i want will take time. generally my complaints come when i'm tired or hungry. I no longer use "I can't" because i know that I can and I will succeed. As far as genetics, i have never been one to use that as an excuse. I think I come from a pretty good genetic background... so here i will lift and wait patiently

Take it one day at a time. We are here for you.
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" -Dr. David Banner

“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart” - Anne Frank

RX MEMBER

Lift Heavy, Train Hard & Don't Give Up

up the dose. but seriously, your BF is probably higher than you think. Skin calipers and digital devices are highly inaccurate. The only real test is the water displacement test. Plus, devices can't measure intramuscular fat, which can make you appear full but smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZero View Post
    up the dose. but seriously, your BF is probably higher than you think. Skin calipers and digital devices are highly inaccurate. The only real test is the water displacement test. Plus, devices can't measure intramuscular fat, which can make you appear full but smoother.
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

branch_warren05go.jpgr192043_724454.jpgMuscle maturity is a myth. It is all diet, training, and genetics. Here is Branch Warren at 26 with the same granite conditioning and separation he still brings, and Lee Priest at 17 years old. Training only changes the size of your muscles, genetics determine shape, and diet + genetics determine definition.
    IMO "muscle maturity" is really just muscle appearing to be more dense as a result of being more conditioned (less intramuscular fat). Older bodybuilders have less of a tendency to get very out-of-shape and therefore less fat is stored within the muscle.
    Last edited by BigZero; 04-09-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Muscle maturity is a buzz word

RX MEMBER

The enitre point of this thread was to share an article not actually talk about myself. I provided a backstory so others could follow the thought process of an interesting read. Muscle maturity might be a buzz word however any person that takes time to educate themselves in the science of human aging knows that skin thins as you age. If one eats healthy then the human body gets leaner as you age naturally (ie aging bodybuilders), I can't help that the average person today likes to eat pizza and cheeseburgers and sugar everyday. People get leaner as they age not fatter unless they eat too much and move to little. There is also scientific proof that other animals (cattle, sheep goats etc) also exhibit these traits as they age, why do you think people are grossed out by the taste of mutton.
    Your opinion is your opinion and I repsect that as mine is mine and I request equal respect.
    And what dose am I upping?? Doesn't matter what the caliper or water displacement test says as that was once again a simple backstory to explain the purpose of sharing an opinion. I assure you while I have BF to lose for competion (because who honestly doesn't), I do not carry exccessive amounts around while not competeing.