I admit I'm not an avid golf fan... I don't play, however I do enjoy playing golf video games.

And I was a Tiger fan initially, but over time, it wasn't must see TV to see him playing on Sunday.

For years I've heard that golf is dying in terms of popularity and interest.... it's an expensive sport/activity to play, and it can be boring. HBO did a Real Sports piece on golf's downturn and how courses are offering new forms of entertainment to stay open and attract younger people:

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-...of-golf.html#/

Now on Sunday, people are excited about the future of golf given the ascension of 21 year old Michael Spaeth, and other young guns like Rory McilRoy.... It may in fact draw fans to see a new duel for years to come, but I still think golf needs some major upgrades that could make it more exciting.

Here are 2 ideas I thought of that could really increase it's popularity and revenues for the sports and it's participants.... see what you think.

1.) a subscription service enabling viewers to follow ONLY the golfers they want to see for 18 holes, rather than being limited to what a major network allows you to see.. to have camera following only the golfer(s) you select, or to only follow the top leaderboard. It may be difficult to implement, but if I'm only interested in following certain golfers, viewers may be willing to pay for that, similar to MLB and NFL packages

2.) Elimination Rounds, resetting the score... I know these majors have cuts, but I think the cuts are too few.... why not have going into Sunday, the top 12 golfers, and resetting the score to zero to let them all compete with a shot at winning. As impressive as Spaeth's win was, there was really no drama outside of seeing whether he would break Tiger's record.
There may be issues with how to deal with ties and what the tie breaker criteria should be, but at least golfers wouldn't have to feel like they are playing for 2nd, and rather, they would go all out to win.