Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Default Officer uses cruiser to ram suspect

Arizona Officer Rams Police Cruiser Into Suspect

By Astrid Galvan and Tami Abdollah, Associated Press
    April 15, 2015

In this Feb. 19, 2015, frame from a dash cam video provided by the Marana Police Department, a police vehicle nears Mario Valencia in Marana, Ariz. Dramatic dash cam video released Tuesday, April 14 shows a police officer using his cruiser to ram the armed suspect, Valencia, sending him flying in the air before the car smashes into a wall. Valencia survived the crash, and prosecutors cleared the officer of any wrongdoing. (Marana Police Department via AP)

Valencia survived the crash, and prosecutors cleared the officer of any wrongdoing.

Dramatic dash-cam videos of an arrest in Arizona showed an officer plowing his cruiser into an armed robbery suspect at high speed, once again putting police actions under the public microscope.

Experts on Wednesday called the officer's tactics unconventional and even outrageous — but justified, given the circumstances.

The images police released Tuesday provoked intense responses among tens of thousands of people after they were posted on the Internet, providing a new angle to the national debate over policing. Some expressed outrage, accusing the officer of improperly using deadly force. Others said he deserves a medal for managing to quickly and safely end a standoff with a dangerous gunman.

The suspect's defense lawyer called it excessive and unjustified.

"In watching the video, I think it was clear that it was not the appropriate action and that my client was not threatening to anybody except for himself," attorney Michelle Cohen Metzger said Wednesday.

Prosecutors cleared Marana Police Officer Michael Rapiejko of any wrongdoing after he swerved around another officer who had been cautiously tailing the robbery suspect, then accelerated and rammed into the man's back on Feb. 19.

The videos show Mario Valencia, 36, cart-wheeling through the air in the instant before the cruiser breaks through a retaining wall, shattering its windshield. Rapiejko, 34, and other officers then jump out from all over, guns drawn, to make sure Valencia stays down.

The maneuver abruptly resolved what police called a violent crime spree by Valencia, who allegedly threatened officers with a stolen hunting rifle and fired a shot moments before the crash. Valencia allegedly stole the .30-.30 rifle from a Wal-Mart after police said he tried to set a church on fire, invaded a home and stole a car.

Experts in police training and tactics say the video illustrates the split-second decisions officers must make in life-or-death situations, and appeared to be completely justified, considering that an erratic suspect was firing a long-range weapon.

Still, they call it anything but a textbook maneuver — and one that police chiefs everywhere should tell their officers not to repeat.

"It is an outrageous video without a doubt, and anybody watching that is going to have that reaction," said Jim Bueermann, a former police chief who leads the Police Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to improving policing.

"The problem," Bueermann said, "is that it is not as simple as a police officer doing a crazy thing. It is an excellent example of how difficult policing can be."

Valencia survived the crash, apparently without suffering serious injury.

So did the officer, who returned to regular duty after a standard three-day leave. Rapiejko joined the department last year after about nine years as an officer in Tucson and New York, and he doesn't have any disciplinary or use of force history in Marana, Sgt. Chris Warren said.

Warren said Rapiejko had only seconds to react before he entered the parking lot of a business, where bystanders could have been at risk.

"It's not something you see every day, definitely, but the officer was thinking outside the box and made a good tactical decision," Warren said.

"It's not something you see every day, definitely, but the officer was thinking outside the box and made a good tactical decision," Warren said.

Valencia now faces several felony charges, including assault on an officer.

Using a car as a weapon is considered an "unconventional tactic" and is not part of any standard training, said Lou Salseda, a retired sergeant with the Los Angeles Police who taught tactics at the department's academy.

Standard procedure calls for isolating and containing a gunman, but in this case, because of the rifle's range, the perimeter would have had to extend for hundreds of yards, requiring vast reinforcements and logistics. In the meantime, an active shooter could have taken hostages or posed additional threats to responding officers, experts say.

Because the suspect was walking around with a weapon that could easily penetrate building walls, cars and bulletproof vests, the officer was justified in effectively turning his cruiser into a "3,000-pound bullet," said Ken Cooper, a New York-based use-of-force and firearms trainer.

"This officer acted assertively, not aggressively, deciding that citizens and fellow officers were in imminent danger," Cooper said. "While officers are not trained to use vehicles as bullets, his quick 'out of the box' actions absolutely saved the lives of others."

Police did not release the entire videos. The segments made public show Valencia walking with a rifle down a busy business corridor. At one point, Valencia points the rifle at himself and threatens to kill himself. At another, Valencia shoots the rifle into the sky.

One of the dash-cam videos was recorded from the cruiser of an officer driving slowly, about a half-block behind Valencia.

"Be prepared," that officer tells colleagues approaching in other cars. "Stand off, stand off, the gun is loaded!"

Moments later, Rapiejko accelerated past the first cruiser and rammed into Valencia's back, shocking his colleague.

"Oh, Jesus Christ, man down!" the first officer shouts as police swarm the scene, guns drawn.

Abdollah reported from Los Angeles.

From http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/v...spect-30321496

OLYMPIAN

Police descended on the 36-year-old Valencia after he allegedly stole a rifle and box of ammunition from a Tucson Walmart at 9 a.m. Feb. 19. It was part of a rampage that began with Valencia's robbery — wearing only underwear — at a 7-Eleven, then breaking into a church and setting it on fire followed by a home invasion and then boosting a car, Marana police said.

This is very important...ie, what the guy actually did to make him a "suspect".

The guy didn't die either.

I see this case as way different than gunning down defenseless black men in the back or when they are already on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor X View Post
    This is very important...ie, what the guy actually did to make him a "suspect".

The guy didn't die either.

I see this case as way different than gunning down defenseless black men in the back or when they are already on the ground.
    Are you saying the officer was concerned about this suspect's life?

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Are you saying the officer was concerned about this suspect's life?

No.

I am saying the difference between this case and Walter Scott is that this man was armed and had already been on a crime spree beforehand. That makes his life less important than the potential lives to be soon lost if they let him continue.

The OUTCOME is often most important.

This man had zero serious injuries from this and was armed.

Walter Scott was unarmed and no immediate potential threat.

One is defending the public from a clear threat to the lives of others.

The black guys being shot lately are of no such threat.

OLYMPIAN

For instance, Curt:
    Oscar Grant III was fatally shot by BART Police officer Johannes Mehserle in Oakland, California, United States, in the early morning hours ofNew Year's Day 2009.[1][2] Responding to reports of a fight on a crowded Bay Area Rapid Transit train returning from San Francisco,[3] BART Police officers detained Grant and several other passengers on the platform at the Fruitvale BART Station. Officer Johannes Mehserle and another officer were restraining Grant, who was lying face down and handcuffed .[4][5][6] Officer Mehserle stood and, according to his attorney, said: "Get back, I'm gonna Tase him."[7] Then Mehserle drew his pistol and shot Grant once in the back. During his court testimony, Mehserle said that Grant then exclaimed, "You shot me!"[3][4][8] Grant was unarmed; he was pronounced dead the next morning at Highland Hospital in Oakland.[8]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJukcFzEX4

This means not only are black men being killed when they are of no immediate threat to the public, this has been happening for several years.

It doesn't matter if a cop CARES about the lives of a suspect. It matters if you are killing people for no damn reason.
    Last edited by Professor X; 04-18-2015 at 11:42 AM.

OLYMPIAN

Or this Curt:
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/cops-shoo...oy-gun-walmart

A young man holding a toy rifle in a Wal-Mart was shot and killed on Tuesday by police in the Dayton suburb of Beavercreek, Ohio, according to Raw Story. John Crawford, 22, was carrying a toy gun he picked up in the store, alarming two other shoppers.
    LeeCee Johnson, the mother of Crawford’s children, told the Dayton Daily News she was on the phone with him while he was browsing in the store. “We was just talking,” she told the Ohio newspaper. “He said he was at the video games playing videos and he went over there by the toy section where the toy guns were. And the next thing I know, he said ‘It’s not real,’ and the police start shooting and they said ‘Get on the ground,’ but he was already on the ground because they had shot him. And I could hear him just crying and screaming. I feel like they shot him down like he was not even human.”

Did you read that?

Black men are now getting shot in stores carrying toys.

This is way different than hitting a guy with a car who was carrying a sniper rifle and who had just finished robbing stores and houses.....and yet not killing him.

OLYMPIAN

You know,, the bad thing is I could post these all day:
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justic...ing/index.html
    One moment, a man reaches into his vehicle after a South Carolina trooper asked for his driver's license.
    Seconds later, the trooper shoots him, and the man asks why. Days afterward, prosecutors aren't satisfied with the answer.

My question is, can anyone find video of any other race in this country being treated like this in majority?

They are literally killing us for no fucking reason.

Meanwhile, they are NOT killing the guys who are real threats...apparently even if they try to.
    Last edited by Professor X; 04-18-2015 at 12:11 PM.

No, I did not read that.

I'm at the gym.

I'm in between sets, so let me ask you what you're doing to solve the problems you perceive?

OLYMPIAN

No, I did not read that.

I'm at the gym.

I'm in between sets, so let me ask you what you're doing to solve the problems you perceive?

Talking about them openly.

What else am I supposed to be doing other than living my life as a NONTHREAT to society?

I went to school and hold down a real career. I am not in any gangs and am not putting anyone else's life at risk.

YET I CAN STILL DIE TONIGHT FOR NO REASON and the killer could be sanctioned officers.

That is a hell of a lot to ask of black men in this country.....that we live our lives as if we aren't being killed off based on skin color.
    Last edited by Professor X; 04-18-2015 at 12:16 PM.

Another set and another rest period. Yes, I'm on my phone. No, I don't care what Arnold thinks about gizmos in gyms.

I teach art in an elementary school. It's an inner-city school, lots of precious angels, and many troubled children. My goal is to encourage respect, caring, order, and a love of art.

What are you doing, X?

OLYMPIAN

Another set and another rest period. Yes, I'm on my phone. No, I don't care what Arnold thinks about gizmos in gyms.

I teach art in an elementary school. It's an inner-city school, lots of precious angels, and many troubled children. My goal is to encourage respect, caring, order, and a love of art.

What are you doing, X?

? I have done community service in the 3rd ward of Houston since high school. I also volunteered at the Texas Children's hospital (children on dialysis). I also CHOOSE to work in lower income neighborhoods which provides health care to those in need.

Anything else you need to know?

That still doesn't erase the fact that I could be killed by cops tonight for no fucking reason other than my skin color.
    Last edited by Professor X; 04-18-2015 at 12:21 PM.

There's little justice anywhere on this planet. I don't expect any. But there has to be more than talk.

See? You have chip on your shoulder. Maybe it belongs there, but I doubt it's any help.

OLYMPIAN

See? You have chip on your shoulder. Maybe it belongs there, but I doubt it's any help.

A chip on my shoulder? Why would you think that? Nothing I have written shows that to be the case.

I am pointing out the reality that I can drive home and die tonight by the hands of those hired to protect society.

I don't know about you, but that is some high risk to live with. Anyone who feels any passion for their own life now has a chip on their shoulder?

Good to know.
    Last edited by Professor X; 04-18-2015 at 12:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast