Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Wennerstrom Report: NY PRO - Women's Physique Division

NY-PRO-WENNERSTROM-REPORT-SLIDE.jpg
    There were two notable changes this year at the prestigious New York Pro Championships held on May 9-10, 2015. The biggest news, of course, was that the former three-time winner of this contest and current Physique Olympia champion, Juliana Malacarne, was in the audience to watch the battle for who would take over her crown as the new NY Pro champ. After winning this event for three consecutive years, Malacarne's absence may have helped draw a huge contingent of 32 competitors from 12 states and 7 foreign countries. In addition, the event moved across the river after several years at the Tribeca Theatre in NYC to the Marriott Hotel Glenpointe in Teaneck, New Jersey.

Read more...

Given the size & detail that so many of the girls brought to the stage in this show, I would've really have liked to seen them standing next to Juliana to get a sense of proportion & detail. The competitors seemed "larger than usual" to me, but I hold Juliana as the ideal as she has the unique combination of proportion and fullness while not needing to come in ripped to get that aesthetic look. IMO that is the greater challenge of WPD, staying inside the extremes of FBB, but still presenting an extraordinary physique. I also know she's a pretty tiny girl so if you blew up the same proportions to a taller physique, I'm curious if it is truly "larger than usual", or is in the same vein as Juliana has already established.

On a side note, for 32 girls to come in, all w/ excellent shape, really speaks volumes to the quality of WPD! I still think the trend is going to be pushing towards "more", but the challenge remains to keep the cap on it and not start dripping into FBB territory. It truly is an art form to bring all of that in while not going extreme.
    Last edited by sassy69; 05-18-2015 at 02:31 PM.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

Great article as always Steve. I think it would be interesting to see the height/weight of all the pro competitors for each show. Especially as a comparison to a 'bodybuilding' look. It would give more perspective on the size of the ladies and how they differ, from each other, and from year to year.
    http://www.zoalinsey.com

"Strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will." ~ Gandhi

Holding the show on Sunday, and on MOTHER's DAY Sunday at that, and moving it into such a dump of a place...Those are also some major changes

Any reason why Juliana did not compete, a injury?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    She chose not to based on winning both the O & the Arnold.

I always enjoy Steve's reports. For some reason though, I thought he might give us a bit of his opinion regarding the conditioning & size of the ladies in this particular pro show. I agree with Zoa & Sassy about the challenge of the "cap" when faced with athletes who can bring the conditioning and size, yet try not to cross the line into FBB. Juliana is so unique, gifted...she is a one in a million!

Last edited by curvygirl; 05-19-2015 at 10:09 AM.

I like the new division, but im thinking the girls will start getting bigger and bigger. Its going to be FBB again (which I love by the way). Now who will the judges blame when the physiques keep progressing?

Julianna, IMO has the best physique in WPD. It was like this division was made for her!

Default bblder down to physique

Quote Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
    Juliana has such a sexy physique and presentation that I would have like to see her on stage with Michelle Cummings. Both have come down from bblding holding so much muscle that it's almost to think this Division is working itself up to bodybuilding.
    To start off the idea was to go from Figure to Physique as some were too muscular but suddenly we learned bodybuilders jumped on this division making it such a challenge! Where is this going?
    If you're bikini - wkout heavy as for Figure
    If you're Figure - wkout heavy as for Physique
    If you're Physique well.. might as well wkout as Iris Kyle!

What do you want your body to look like? Personally I'd want Malacarne's physique

Quote Originally Posted by sduque View Post
    Juliana has such a sexy physique and presentation that I would have like to see her on stage with Michelle Cummings. Both have come down from bblding holding so much muscle that it's almost to think this Division is working itself up to bodybuilding.
    To start off the idea was to go from Figure to Physique as some were too muscular but suddenly we learned bodybuilders jumped on this division making it such a challenge! Where is this going?

What do you want your body to look like? Personally I'd want Malacarne's physique
    Juliana was a figure and fitness competitor, not a bodybuilding division competitor.
    I'd personally love to have Juliana's physique.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky3 View Post
    Holding the show on Sunday, and on MOTHER's DAY Sunday at that, and moving it into such a dump of a place...Those are also some major changes
    Did you attend the show? If you didn't then on what basis do you compare the venue to "a dump?"

Thank you for the article. i tend to fall in agreement w/ Zoa & Sassy's comments, so not much to add. Def would have LIKED to see Juliana compared to the top 3 insofar as the "condition/leanness" factor. Juliana is beyond amazing.

IFBB Women's Historian Steve Wennerstrom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sduque View Post

You mention that Juliana and Michelle came down from bodybuilding...... While Michelle Cummings did transition from Bodybuilding to Physique, you should know that Juliana never competed in bodybuilding at any point in her career. After she won the 2006 IFBB World Amateur Championships in Bodyfitness (what we call Figure), she competed for six years in pro Figure (where she was hammered for being "too muscular") before the Physique division came along. It was the perfect fit for her perfect physique.

Correct. Juliana was never a bodybuilder.
    On the other hand, Michelle Cummings just over a year ago was on the O stage as a bodybuilder.
    The WPD show in Dallas I did in 2013 is STRIKINGLY different in the judging and the types of physiques awarded then at the shows this year. There has been quite a substantial difference over the last couple of years. It's an inevitable transition with all the ladies pushing to 'add muscle' to 'fill out'...then the next issue is 'how much is too much'.
    For the ex-bodybuilder, it's how much or how little is just right from show to show. Depending on the line-up it is a bit of a shifting target, despite the judges best efforts.
    I would also suggest that the girls at the NY Pro posed much 'bigger' and stronger than Juliana and others did at the past Arnold. It definitely had a more BB feel looking at the lineup.
    From pics, there was a difference in both muscle density and in detail, as well as in total muscularity across the body. But that's where the weight/height comparison would come in, as you could compare 'like' to 'like' on those terms then go with things like comparing shape (waist size, shoulder width), leg size, etc. It will get more challenging for the judges as the women grow in number and you have more tall and short competitors standing side by side, just like the past debate in Pro FBB
    Personally I have always like the idea of 'classic bodybuilding' - where there is a cap on height/weight and it looks like the WPD at NY Pro definitely looked much more like that.
    That said it sure has to be confusing for some of the competitors . I liked Dave's review of the show with Laura btw as well....excellent commentary.
    Last edited by powergirl; 05-21-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    http://www.zoalinsey.com

"Strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will." ~ Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Did you attend the show? If you didn't then on what basis do you compare the venue to "a dump?"
    It's a smaller cheaper venue...I dont have to physically be there to know that...that is like being able to say that the Orleans in Vegas is a smaller cheaper venue than the Mandalay was for the Olympia weekend

Quote Originally Posted by powergirl View Post
    Correct. Juliana was never a bodybuilder.
    On the other hand, Michelle Cummings just over a year ago was on the O stage as a bodybuilder.
    The WPD show in Dallas I did in 2013 is STRIKINGLY different in the judging and the types of physiques awarded then at the shows this year. There has been quite a substantial difference over the last couple of years. It's an inevitable transition with all the ladies pushing to 'add muscle' to 'fill out'...then the next issue is 'how much is too much'.
    For the ex-bodybuilder, it's how much or how little is just right from show to show. Depending on the line-up it is a bit of a shifting target, despite the judges best efforts.
    I would also suggest that the girls at the NY Pro posed much 'bigger' and stronger than Juliana and others did at the past Arnold. It definitely had a more BB feel looking at the lineup.
    From pics, there was a difference in both muscle density and in detail, as well as in total muscularity across the body. But that's where the weight/height comparison would come in, as you could compare 'like' to 'like' on those terms then go with things like comparing shape (waist size, shoulder width), leg size, etc. It will get more challenging for the judges as the women grow in number and you have more tall and short competitors standing side by side, just like the past debate in Pro FBB
    Personally I have always like the idea of 'classic bodybuilding' - where there is a cap on height/weight and it looks like the WPD at NY Pro definitely looked much more like that.
    That said it sure has to be confusing for some of the competitors . I liked Dave's review of the show with Laura btw as well....excellent commentary.
    ^^^^^I like/agree with all of the above comments! WP is ever evolving and have to say it is fun to follow it!

Rocky, the NY Pro was not a some cheap venue! It was held at the Teaneck Marriott where Team U is held. I attended Team U last July with my guy. It is a very nice hotel. And I have to say it was the best run show I have ever attended at the local & professional level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast