Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    OLYMPIAN

Default The Pro versus NPC Coverage disconnect

Maybe I'm merely feeling brash after thousands of Facebook views and likes from potential photoshoot customers that attended and participated in an area national qualifier that I covered this weekend, BUT it seems a big problem that the BIG sites are now so seemingly disconnected with the grassroots of the sport. Every show there seems to be 20-30% first time competitors that don't know diddly or care about who is the top contender or whose signed with who at the pro level. They get on stage and want timely coverage of their event and aside from us lil guys at the local level they don't get coverage for typically weeks at which point they are off to another show, etc.
    Blame it on social media as some will, but its such a blessing to be able to essentially compete with the big box sites with nothing more than an air card, watermarking and resizing software while promoting $100/hr photoshoots. Thank goodness for social media

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Maybe I'm merely feeling brash after thousands of Facebook views and likes from potential photoshoot customers that attended and participated in an area national qualifier that I covered this weekend, BUT it seems a big problem that the BIG sites are now so seemingly disconnected with the grassroots of the sport. Every show there seems to be 20-30% first time competitors that don't know diddly or care about who is the top contender or whose signed with who at the pro level. They get on stage and want timely coverage of their event and aside from us lil guys at the local level they don't get coverage for typically weeks at which point they are off to another show, etc.
    Blame it on social media as some will, but its such a blessing to be able to essentially compete with the big box sites with nothing more than an air card, watermarking and resizing software while promoting $100/hr photoshoots. Thank goodness for social media
    Congratulations?

GYM RAT

I've been following BB for 19 years. Back then, I followed the top national level guys, but for the past 10 years, I could care less about the "top" national dudes (they suck).

As for the ones below the top, I never cared. Never had a reason to.
    Last edited by Sandwich; 05-18-2015 at 06:32 PM.

At least you don't have to jockey for position in the pit and have Dan Ray's hat get in the way.

OLYMPIAN

That's an interesting take. Looking at it logically without any preconceived notion then I'm to take that you don't follow the top national dudes or lower level guys because everyone was better 19yrs ago. Pardon me for asking, but how the hell would you know jack shit about people you don't follow and that no media outlet is covering? No site including this one is doing prep videos of national level guys or girls what so ever.
    I could care less about what was going on 20 years ago unless those old retired dudes want to put their tights on and get back on stage. Its like watching history channel or listening to classical music. Way too much nostalgia about the good old days and a convenient excuse for lazy media coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    I've been following BB for 19 years. Back then, I followed the top national level guys, but for the past 10 years, I could care less about the "top" national dudes (they suck).

As for the ones below the top, I never cared. Never had a reason to.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 05-18-2015 at 07:00 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Dan's a good guy. I can't carry his water although I've gotten him water a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    At least you don't have to jockey for position in the pit and have Dan Ray's hat get in the way.

Dan's a good guy. I can't carry his water although I've gotten him water a few times.
    I don't know him personally so I'll take your word for it. But he's one of Adina's boys, so that's guilty by association.

OLYMPIAN

Actually Dan is one of the go to guys that can be counted on to do a good job in the press pitt and not cause anyone to get kicked out of the venue or lose press access. He always delivers like the mailman rain or shine. Him Isaac & Hollywood Jeff Binns will still be in the press pitt long after all the names on the marques are changed at the companies covering the sport

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    I don't know him personally so I'll take your word for it. But he's one of Adina's boys, so that's guilty by association.

OLYMPIAN

#543 has watery glutes and needs more size; #544 needs more size in the glutes and lower half isn't balanced with the upper half. Geez, it was so much better in the old days when we only had to cover a handful of men and all we did all year was eat lunch and chat with the handful of dudes we covered at the shows and reported on in magazines three months after the events with 12 pictures we turned in from the 200 we shot. Its just really sucks now. I don't know any of these guys and not a one has bought me even a sandwich and I don't have time to follow them all on instagram, Facebook, google plus, snapchat etc.
    Joking not joking.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 05-18-2015 at 08:35 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Yeah a few more views on social covering the contest than if I'd dropped them on a forum or provided and they went up a couple weeks later. So yeah cha ching!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Congratulations?

I actually miss the regional NPC show coverage. I get that it costs $ to do that coverage, but I tend to follow the pro level more because I'm familiar with most of the current pros who were coming up when I was competing or was briefly involved in a BB "reality show" venture. I look at the amateur shows and really don't recognize any of the names anymore. I know some who have been around a while and show up at the national-level shows, but many are completely new to me.

I like seeing the coverage and comments by Dave and others who have a good eye for quick evaluation of a competitor on stage. All of the pros should be top notch so there's so very little to comment about anymore, so the engagement w/ the show itself is less. Oh well, maybe when I get myself back on the circuit, I'll become more familiar w/ the current amateur competitors, but it seems like even NPC coverage is disappearing.
    "The only way you can hurt the body is not use it. Inactivity is the killer and, remember, it's never too late."
    ~Jack Lalanne

OLYMPIAN

Seriously though as the big box muscle media sites want to focus on the pro shows and typically mens open is there really more money in that than focusing on thousands of NPC competitors that are hungry to see their photos and videos and whom spend money on products versus get them provided typically by some sponsor as most top pros do?
    What's the demographic really being sought after by covering a handful of guys that regularly do the Olympia and Arnold and the top contenders? Do they really buy anything?

OLYMPIAN

I think its the muscle medias failure to cover the amateurs that is creating this situation more so than there are too many to cover.
    American Ninja Warriors producers took average people for the most part and via their style of production created a top ranked television series. There are untold countless awe inspiring stories amongst the amateur ranks of bodybuilding, fitness, figure, bikini & physique. The young overall bodybuilder at Tim Gardners Riptide Classic this last weekend is doing his surgical residency focused on research at the moment, which gave him time to compete in two shows in the last month that he has won. The bikini winner is a psycho analyst with a couple noticeable scars, which relate to the very reason she is competing to see if she could overcome mental obstacles associated with those scars. She received them in a car accident that killed her father and brother. If I hadn't asked for them to speak a bit about their motivations, inspirations and backgrounds a bit while doing post show photo/video shoot for NPC News who would have known? And who cares it would seem considering the muscle media isn't engaged in going after those stories to any great extent.

Quote Originally Posted by sassy69 View Post
    I actually miss the regional NPC show coverage. I get that it costs $ to do that coverage, but I tend to follow the pro level more because I'm familiar with most of the current pros who were coming up when I was competing or was briefly involved in a BB "reality show" venture. I look at the amateur shows and really don't recognize any of the names anymore. I know some who have been around a while and show up at the national-level shows, but many are completely new to me.

I like seeing the coverage and comments by Dave and others who have a good eye for quick evaluation of a competitor on stage. All of the pros should be top notch so there's so very little to comment about anymore, so the engagement w/ the show itself is less. Oh well, maybe when I get myself back on the circuit, I'll become more familiar w/ the current amateur competitors, but it seems like even NPC coverage is disappearing.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 05-18-2015 at 08:56 PM.

OLYMPIAN

I think we need less people in the muscle media interested in getting their own face time and using athletes essentially as props for promoting themselves and MORE grassroots coverage of the many NPC athletes with worth stories. Social media successes often aren't a fluke, but a testament to how many of these athletes are better at engaging with audiences themselves than the big brick and mortar media gatekeepers are. Back to Facebook.
    Good night.

Yeah a few more views on social covering the contest than if I'd dropped them on a forum or provided and they went up a couple weeks later. So yeah cha ching!
    Great pictures on your FB page! I spent too much time on the ladies but it was well worth it.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast