Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Default Alex Rodriguez hits 3000!

Alex Rodriguez Collects His 3,000th Hit

By Jay Schreiber
    June 19, 2015

Alex Rodriguez connecting on his 3,000th hit, a home run off Justin Verlander in the first inning on Friday. Credit Al Bello/Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez notched the 3,000th hit of his complicated major league career on Friday night, becoming the 29th player to reach the revered milestone and the only one to do so after serving a yearlong drug suspension.

Hit No. 3,000 came in the bottom of the first inning at Yankee Stadium, with much of the crowd standing and urging him on as he strode to the plate and then cheering even louder when he hit the first pitch from Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander for a home run to right field. It was fifth hit in the last three games for Rodriguez, allowing him to reach 3,000 in a quick, sustained push rather than struggle, as players often do, when a major record draws near.

For the 39-year-old Rodriguez, his 3,000th hit was also just the latest in a series of significant moments he has compiled this season. On May 1, he hit the 660th home run of his career, tying him with Willie Mays for fourth place on the career list and instantly quieting a hostile crowd at Fenway Park that was yowling at him. More recently, he joined Hank Aaron as the only players to ever produce more than 2,000 runs batted in. And on his way to joining Aaron in that exclusive club, he vaulted right over two historic Yankees — Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.

With 3,000 hits, Rodriguez also becomes only the third player to reach that milestone and 600 home runs. The two others are Aaron and Willie Mays.

All those numbers are a testament to his ambiguous status as one of the preeminent sluggers in baseball history, but one whose every achievement is now tarnished by his repeated links to performance-enhancing drugs.

The last player to get to 3,000 hits was Rodriguez’s former Yankees teammate, Derek Jeter, who accomplished that feat in July 2011. Jeter’s countdown to 3,000 turned into a sustained salute to an iconic player revered not just in the Bronx but across the nation. In contrast, Rodriguez, as he neared 3,000, had to settle for a fraction of that acclaim, almost all of it from Yankees fans willing to accept his transgressions and move on.

That gap in the way the two men are perceived is likely to prove telling when each eventually makes it onto the ballot for the Hall of Fame. Jeter, who played shortstop for the Yankees for nearly two decades, is almost certain to win induction in his first year as a candidate. Rodriguez, who played alongside Jeter at third base for half of that period, is likely to garner relatively little support form Hall of Fame voters, who have already demonstrated a reluctance to back any former player with drug links.

Still, the issue of the Hall of Fame is years away for Rodriguez. For the moment, he can be satisfied that after sitting out the entire 2014 season, after enduring two hip surgeries in recent years, after reporting to spring training this season widely viewed as an albatross still owed more than $60 million for the next three seasons, he has proved to be a still-dangerous hitter who has helped the Yankees play better than expected.

Going into Thursday night’s game, he had 11 home runs this season and 33 runs batted in, along with a more-than-respectable .274 batting average and a healthy .379 on-base percentage. Before the season began, few people in baseball were predicting he would do that well.

Rodriguez has also been scrupulous in avoiding any disputes with his employer, unlike in 2013, when he was strenuously contesting the huge suspension Major League Baseball had levied on him while also engaging in a public feud with both baseball and the Yankees.

This season, when the Yankees made it clear they would not pay him a $6 million bonus for tying Mays with his 660th homer, Rodriguez held his tongue. The Yankees are contending that the bonus, along with similar awards for reaching the home run milestones of Ruth, Aaron and Barry Bonds, are not part of his current 10-year contract, but a separate marketing agreement.

And because Rodriguez publicly admitted in 2009 to using steroids years earlier with the Texas Rangers and then became embroiled in the Biogenesis drug scandal in Miami, which led to him sitting out last year, the Yankees contend that Rodriguez is too tainted to be marketed. Thus, no bonus.

Rodriguez can appeal the Yankees’ refusal to pay him but has not yet chosen to do so.

Instead, on Friday night, he could bask in the cheers of Yankee fans. All was well for Rodriguez, who has played a lot of baseball and created a lot of uncomplimentary headlines for himself since debuting as a teenage shortstop for the Seattle Mariners in 1994. But now every headline would declare 3,000, and nothing else, for the moment, really needed to be said.

More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/20/sp...000th-hit.html

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Does anyone really care about this guy?
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    Besides Alex??,,,,,,,,no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    No but the HOF is going to be a mess.Top home run hitter,several 3000 hit club members and a 7 time Cy Young winner are all going to be left out

Why?

Not a sports fan at all.

(commences Googling)

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

Why what?
    Why did you post that?
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Lol

Well, some people care because they're giving the kid who caught the ball a ration of crap for not giving it back. 3,000 hits is historical or significant.

Wonder what he'll do.

Quote Originally Posted by curt james View Post
    lol

well, some people care because they're giving the kid who caught the ball a ration of crap for not giving it back. 3,000 hits is historical or significant.

Wonder what he'll do.
    show me the money !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by weezer View Post
    show me the money !!!!
    lol That's what I was thinking. That ball has a value.

Man who caught A-Rod's 3,000th hit won't give ball back to Yankees

By SI Wire
    June 19, 2015

Despite being offered "tons of memorabilia and promotion" by the New York Yankees, the baseball- expert who got his hands on A-Rod's 3,000th hit Friday won't give the ball back to the team, according to a Newsday report.

Zack Hample, a New York native who wrote a book on catching stray baseballs in the stands at games, said he has no intention of giving the ball back - even to A-Rod himself.

Rodriguez clubbed a home run on the first pitch he saw in the bottom of the first inning Friday to earn hit No. 3,000, becoming only the 29th player in Major League history to accomplish the feat.

Hample can be seen on video in a brownish-green shirt jumping for the ball in the right field stands along with several fans.

Hample later returned to his seat and tweeted a photo of him holding history.

@zack_hample
    Here's A-Rod's 3,000th hit/ball. Told the @Yankees I'm keeping it. Got it authenticated by @MLB. This is un-REAL.
    8:55 PM - 19 Jun 2015

From http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/06/19/rod...t-give-it-back

"18,000 men have played Major League Baseball, only 29 have had 3,000 hits. And Alex Rodriguez now joins the club."
    Announcer

"tons of memorabilia and promotions" ??!! can you drive it ???can you sail in it?? can you pay your rent with it ??......,. didn't think so.

still their best player

That in it's self pretty much sums up the Yankees !!!

This is from this past June, but...

Zack Hample backtracks, says chance Yankees and Alex Rodriguez get 3,000th hit baseball

By Justin Tasch
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, June 24, 2015

Zack Hample, the ballhawk who snagged the ball Alex Rodriguez blasted to right-center field Friday night for the slugger’s 3,000th hit, reached out to A-Rod on Twitter on Tuesday to offer an olive branch.

This comes a day after Hample had productive negotiations with the Yankees regarding a possible deal for the baseball, which could include a donation to benefit Hample’s favorite charity, Pitch In For Baseball.

“It’s just a nice, symbolic gesture of goodwill,” Hample told the Daily News. “I don’t expect him to see that tweet, and if he sees it I don’t expect him to think anything positively about me right now. I had posted some disparaging tweets about him in the days before he hit the home run. I was just being snarky and trying to be funny and didn’t think the eyes of the world would be on me.”

On Thursday, someone asked Hample on Twitter what he’d do if A-Rod hit a home run for his 3,000th hit and he caught it. In a since-deleted tweet, Hample replied, “I’ll give him the finger and a dummy ball. That man deserves favors from no one, least of all a fan.”

“Looking back on that now I completely regret that,” Hample said Tuesday. “I’m sorry for what I said. I certainly was thinking some negative thoughts when this first happened, but upon further reflection, taking the ball with me from the Stadium that night and having time to think things over, I’m not feeling any negativity right now.

“I’m trying to think positive thoughts and come up with a way the Yankees and A-Rod can get the ball and be happy, maybe make a nice contribution to charity. Maybe some perks will come my way at the Stadium, maybe some memorabilia I wouldn’t otherwise have gotten my hands on.”

Hample said the Yankees are doing their due diligence on Pitch In For Baseball, which provides baseball equipment to underprivileged kids around the world. The Yankees were the ones who mentioned possibly donating money to the charity after Hample had mentioned it in passing. He was also contacted by History Channel’s “Pawn Stars” and was told by one auction house that the ball could be worth between $50,000 and $500,000. Hample also said someone on Twitter offered him $300,000 for the ball, but he was unsure if that was genuine.

“I just have an open dialogue right now with the Yankees. It’s gonna take a little longer, probably a week at least before anything is finalized, if anything is finalized. … I have been talking a lot with the Yankees and I’m hopeful something could work out with them.”

While he couldn’t say returning the ball is as of now the most likely outcome, he did say “there’s a decent chance that this baseball could end up back with the Yankees and A-Rod.”

More @ http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.2268283

True terrible signing of players past their prime or cant stay healthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast