Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    Curt: I don't really want to waste my time getting into an argument with you b/c
    And this is definitely not an argument.

you clearly have way way too much time on your hands to keep it going (snip)
    I canceled cable thirteen years ago. It frees up a lot of time. ;-)

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    (Must be a spelling or grammar error in here somewhere. Paragraphs are a little long.)
    I like it a lot better when you just post pics.

Nice shots of Big Mike Cox, btw!

(must be a spelling or grammar error in here somewhere. Paragraphs are a little long)
    At least he uses them.

OLYMPIAN

Not only is my opinion biased by my making a living doing what I enjoy, which includes covering bodybuilding events, but weekly I'm around people who likewise love the events enough to support them with entry fees, ticket purchases, who volunteer time and who put on the events.
    A gaggle of folks on a bodybuilding message board that spend their Saturday night making excuses as to why they won't attend a show or pay $20 to watch one does not a good business model make most certainly. I believe Dave tried putting on a show one year that didn't turn out too well. Maybe its in part due to the attitude of those he surrounds himself with as I know lots of successful shows that have packed houses each weekend.
    And btw, I was busy yesterday covering an event that one of the forum members competed in and won to the applauds of a packed theater. Too bad you guys weren't there and couldn't see it live or streaming.

MPJ, I enjoy the bb lifestyle; I find people that pursue (or attempt to pursue) it interesting and entertaining…. And I believe the amount of people that fall in that demographic far far out number those that care about bbing shows…. That's what brought everyone to Rx and why I've been so persistent to get Dave to try and go back to what works (actually that's partially true, I've also told him to end Rx Muscle and just work on Species)….

Years ago I went to lots of shows when Dave was competing and I can tell you it was boring then other than scoping girls in the audience and partaking in the post show dinner. I spent most of the night hanging in the lobby. Tthe recent shows I went to were worse, 4+ hours of nonsense…. Hence I have no interest in watching this any longer, the Olympia or Arnold maybe and I use maybe loosely, there may be other people that enjoy this monotony, but I struggle to find them….

The fact you make your living photographing at these events leads you to have a biased opinion… Again, I hope it works out for Flosports, I just don't think it will…
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 08-23-2015 at 07:30 AM.

Not only is my opinion biased by my making a living doing what I enjoy, which includes covering bodybuilding events, but weekly I'm around people who likewise love the events enough to support them with entry fees, ticket purchases, who volunteer time and who put on the events.
    A gaggle of folks on a bodybuilding message board that spend their Saturday night making excuses as to why they won't attend a show or pay $20 to watch one does not a good business model make most certainly. I believe Dave tried putting on a show one year that didn't turn out too well. Maybe its in part due to the attitude of those he surrounds himself with as I know lots of successful shows that have packed houses each weekend.
    And btw, I was busy yesterday covering an event that one of the forum members competed in and won to the applauds of a packed theater. Too bad you guys weren't there and couldn't see it live or streaming.
    Why do you call it an excuse? I would rather refer to it as a reason.

We saw it for free on your Vimeo feed, when we were ready to watch it.

Not only is my opinion biased by my making a living doing
    You are certainly in touch with the athletes and people that are holding and promoting these events. That is just one demographic of the bodybuilding fitness lifestyle and the people in it.

There is however, a lot of us that do not share the same level of excitement and desire to drop our hard-earned dollars to view the events live or pay to see them streamed online.

You are providing a lot of quality free content so why do I need to pay someone to see it happening live, particularly while it might not fit into my time schedule.

There is indeed a market for it, but wether it's a viable and profitable one remains to be seen.

It can be inferred that this discussion is between people that look at bodybuilding as consisting of serious trainers that get into a gym, bust their ass, suffer to compete and people that support that conception of bodybuilding by going to shows and putting their money where their support and loyalty lies

And people that could care less about bodybuilding except how to make money off of it, detest bodybuilding competition, that think competition is boring and not worth spending money on tickets for.

My retort to that, is bodybuilders compete.
    That the 'soul' of bodybuilding is high intensity training, dieting and competition.

Bodybuilding itself has nothing to do with devising marketing strategies to sell protein powder and other forms of supplements.
    That is a way to exploit bodybuilding for profit.
    It has nothing to do with bodybuilders and bodybuilding.

If supplement marketing strategy is the concept behind RX, then change the name of this site from "The Truth in Bodybuilding" to "The Truth of Supplement Marketing Strategies".

Dave Palumbo.
    Where do you stand?
    With bodybuilding, or with those that do not support the concept of competition being what bodybuilding is all about?

I assumed that a site dedicated to "The Truth In Body Building" was dedicated to promotion of bodybuilders and bodybuilding.
    Dedicated to the promotion and support of bodybuilding competitors that stand on a stage alone and show who and what they are and what is possible to achieve by bodybuilding.

I support that bodybuilding model, that concept and I put my money where my mouth is by going to the shows and demonstrating support for the competitors on stage.
    As bodybuilding is competition.

I have trained for over 40 years.
    I have trained like a bodybuilder, dieted like a bodybuilder, and I support bodybuilders and bodybuilding.

I could care less as to those that are primarily concerned with marketing strategies as to how to make a buck off of it.
    My support lies with the bodybuilders and bodybuilding, not with you.

OLYMPIAN

This

Quote Originally Posted by dbowden View Post
    it can be inferred that this discussion is between people that look at bodybuilding as consisting of serious trainers that get into a gym, bust their ass, suffer to compete and people that support that conception of bodybuilding by going to shows and putting their money where their support and loyalty lies

and people that could care less about bodybuilding except how to make money off of it, detest bodybuilding competition, that think competition is boring and not worth spending money on tickets for.

My retort to that, is bodybuilders compete.
    That the 'soul' of bodybuilding is high intensity training, dieting and competition.

Bodybuilding itself has nothing to do with devising marketing strategies to sell protein powder and other forms of supplements.
    That is a way to exploit bodybuilding for profit.
    It has nothing to do with bodybuilders and bodybuilding.

If supplement marketing strategy is the concept behind rx, then change the name of this site from "the truth in bodybuilding" to "the truth of supplement marketing strategies".

Dave palumbo.
    Where do you stand?
    With bodybuilding, or with those that do not support the concept of competition being what bodybuilding is all about?

OLYMPIAN

You are essentially suggesting the TMZ aspect of sports is a better market than the sport itself. Sure it is for the outsiders and those sitting on the bench that want to exploit the news values of big names associated with a given sport. However, as with any other sport that monetary value associated with "the other stuff" just ain't where its at.

As for one three minute video of Mike Cox from the Lakeland Classic there was much more to the even than that which audiences find valuable. However, knowing this market (rxmuscle) its the part I thought this demo would find interesting and rushed to get it up the same as John Hansen rushed to get it the news up at MD.

Meanwhile I'd put up all the images on facebook (a few thousand) for free to market photoshoots to the dozens of new friend requests as a result with dozens of first time competitors entered in the show. Photos and videos are loading for individual sale to competitors and I'll share highlights with my paid advertisers info embedded after getting home from paid photoshoots. Its a business model that works LIKE THIS STREAMING MODEL versus merely throwing out content and hoping to sell enough ads to pay for it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    You are certainly in touch with the athletes and people that are holding and promoting these events. That is just one demographic of the bodybuilding fitness lifestyle and the people in it.

There is however, a lot of us that do not share the same level of excitement and desire to drop our hard-earned dollars to view the events live or pay to see them streamed online.

You are providing a lot of quality free content so why do I need to pay someone to see it happening live, particularly while it might not fit into my time schedule.

There is indeed a market for it, but wether it's a viable and profitable one remains to be seen.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 08-23-2015 at 01:41 PM.

You are essentially suggesting the TMZ aspect of sports is a better market than the sport itself. Sure it is for the outsiders and those sitting on the bench that want to exploit the news values of big names associated with a given sport. However, as with any other sport that monetary value associated with "the other stuff" just ain't where its at.
    When it comes to real sports like football, baseball, etc., of course the actual games themselves are the main attraction. Bodybuilding is not and never will be anywhere even close to being a real sport because of the stigmas attached to it - right or wrong.

So it is an impossible comparison to do.

OLYMPIAN

"Real" sports lol. Whatever, you like others here think the TMZ aspect of this non-sport are going to be more profitable than focusing on the actual activity that makes it a competition "on stage."
    I'll stick to focusing on monetizing on the part that brings people from teens to masters in both sexes to stage from all walks of life along with companies like FloSports and you can stick to what you think is important. Doesn't make your approach more relevant in my book or likely nearly as sustainable economically, but have at it.

If bodybuilding is actually a pile of crap you like me are still a willing participant like a fly overhead the dung heap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    When it comes to real sports like football, baseball, etc., of course the actual games themselves are the main attraction. Bodybuilding is not and never will be anywhere even close to being a real sport because of the stigmas attached to it - right or wrong.

So it is an impossible comparison to do.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 08-23-2015 at 10:09 PM.

"Real" sports lol. Whatever, you like others here think the TMZ aspect of this non-sport are going to be more profitable than focusing on the actual activity that makes it a competition "on stage."
    Bodybuilding at its highest is not even a preseason NFL game, John. I've covered all sports and bodybuilding and even low level minor league baseball runs smoother. I'm really not shitting on it but merely being truthful. None of the political bullshit that is consistent in bodybuilding at every level occurs with pro team sports.

And the reason why I focus on what you call the 'TMZ aspect' is because it IS more profitable in my case. I've covered bodybuilding the same way that you do for a long time - for FLEX, MD and my own magazine. Only once I went in the lifestyle and truthful directions did I begin to turn a decent profit.

I'll stick to focusing on monetizing on the part that brings people from teens to masters in both sexes to stage from all walks of life along with companies like FloSports and you can stick to what you think is important. Doesn't make your approach more relevant in my book or likely nearly as sustainable economically, but have at it.
    Your methods make you money and mine does likewise. There's nothing wrong with either one. What's really relevant, though, if you're not making money? In your case, continuing to do what you have been is working for you. I needed to change direction to make an impact and did so.

If bodybuilding is actually a pile of crap you like me are still a willing participant like a fly overhead the dung heap.
    Bodybuilding is not a pile of crap but to even put it in the same conversation as the NFL is ridiculous. Apples and oranges. And the reason why I'm covering the people that I am is because I obviously have a passion for it and have found a way to earn a living with it. If I had my druthers, I would have stuck with team sports. But it was hard to get a good paying gig after the magazine I was the editor of folded.

OLYMPIAN

Why didn't you decide to do your TMZ sort of start up mag with what you considered the real sport like the NFL? If its a profitable business model with this non-sport you criticize so strongly why not do it with a much bigger market like the NFL? You've got deflategate and all these other controversies involving hundreds of school age kids dying each year from injuries related to pursuing the dream of making it into the pro ranks. They need you Joe
    Curious if you actually figure you can get away with more in this smaller niche market than other professional sports where you might get sued every month by someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    If I had my druthers, I would have stuck with team sports. But it was hard to get a good paying gig after the magazine I was the editor of folded.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 08-24-2015 at 06:51 AM.

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

For those who asked me via inbox.

We have Livestreamed PRO SHOWS Yes. . . including

2014 Dallas Europa Supershow In it's entirety ...With Chris And Dave on the announcer table with over 4 + hours of coverage per day.

TIJUANA pro championships. Stremed the live press conference and entire pro show with
    Dave and Louis Uridel on the announcers table.

We've also done NPC Shows. . . . Heck we've also broadcasted LIVE FROM CHINA! LOL

In the end we thank you for watching our shows.... we are planning an amazing pre Olympia programing ...stay tuned

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast