Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Beef Protein Fad

saw this posted on another board.

The beef protein fad

I am sure by now we have all seen proteins now advertising that they are a better alternative to milk and whey based proteins. Beef protein is one of those newer fad proteins advertising that it is better for you without any of the digestive issues some people associate with whey. An important question, however, is: what is beef protein?

We all like to romanticize with the idea that beef protein is filet mignon grinded into powder, but it is simply not. The price of beef is exuberant, making this impossible. A quick search on the internet shows that the top 5 selling beef protein products contain the following ingredients: Hydrolyzed beef protein isolate, Hydrolyzed gelatin. Now these sound fancy, but what exactly are they? Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate is also known as Collagen. Collagen is not a complete protein source, and is high in glycine, proline, arginine, and hydroxyproline. Collagen is a support tissue protein that has no use in products for athletes. All these labels are just fancy words for what beef protein really is: collagen, left over scraps, and cow plasma (a component of blood).

Below is an amino acid breakdown of an unnamed whey protein product vs. an unnamed beef protein product vs. gelatin:

The first thing you should notice is the glaring similarities between beef protein isolate and gelatin. They are nearly identical, so for the purposes of comparisons between whey and the other two, we will simply compare whey vs. beef protein.

Notice that there are some massive differences. The whey product has much more of the essential amino acids and BCAAs (34.96 grams in whey vs. 19.4 grams in beef protein isolate per 100 g). The amount of essential amino acids and BCAAs are what we really want to consider when we look at different sources of protein as athletes when it comes to determining what is best for our lifestyles. These are the amino acids that aid in recovery, muscle protein synthesis, etc.

Another massive difference is the amount of glycine in beef protein (beef protein isolate contains 20.1 grams of glycine, more than 14 times the amount of glycine in whey protein). Glycine is a filler amino acid added into products to cheapen the cost of the product. Glycine comes up on lab tests that test for protein content based on nitrogen content as protein, which allows companies to pad the amount of protein in their product by stuffing them with glycine. Think of the companies that always have buy 1 get 1s on their proteins, and you will notice glycine is almost always added into their protein matrix.

If that doesn’t have you sold, this should. This is a comparison of the various protein sources we have been discussing using the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). The PDCAAS is a method utilized by the FDA and the World Health Organization that measures the quality of protein based on the amino acid requirements of humans and their ability to digest these protein sources (2). A value of 1.00 is the highest possible PDCAAS score.

As previously discussed, most of beef proteins contain mainly collagen and gelatin, thus they have a PDCAAS of zero. These products are not beneficial for athletes.

References:

1. EASTOE, J. E. (1955). The amino acid composition of mammalian collagen and gelatin. The Biochemical journal, 61(4), 589-600.

2. Recent developments in protein quality evaluation

3. Schaafsma, G. (2000). The protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score. The Journal of nutrition, 130(7), 1865S-7S.

4. http://cancersupplementcenter.com/PD...r-01-28-08.pdf

2013 & 2014 RX Member of the Year
    2014 RX Muscle September Member of the Month

HTW

I like hamburgers

Nice post

Pretty sure any popularity for beef protein powder died when Kai left Muscle Meds.
    Last edited by Todd Lincoln; 08-29-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Lincoln View Post
    Pretty sure any popularity for beef protein powder died when Kai left Muscle Meds.
    Maybe invest in GrapeFruit Protein?

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Lincoln View Post
    Kai read that article and quit MuscleMeds on the spot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    saw this posted on another board.

The beef protein fad

I am sure by now we have all seen proteins now advertising that they are a better alternative to milk and whey based proteins. Beef protein is one of those newer fad proteins advertising that it is better for you without any of the digestive issues some people associate with whey. An important question, however, is: what is beef protein?

We all like to romanticize with the idea that beef protein is filet mignon grinded into powder, but it is simply not. The price of beef is exuberant, making this impossible. A quick search on the internet shows that the top 5 selling beef protein products contain the following ingredients: Hydrolyzed beef protein isolate, Hydrolyzed gelatin. Now these sound fancy, but what exactly are they? Hydrolyzed Beef Protein Isolate is also known as Collagen. Collagen is not a complete protein source, and is high in glycine, proline, arginine, and hydroxyproline. Collagen is a support tissue protein that has no use in products for athletes. All these labels are just fancy words for what beef protein really is: collagen, left over scraps, and cow plasma (a component of blood).

Below is an amino acid breakdown of an unnamed whey protein product vs. an unnamed beef protein product vs. gelatin:

The first thing you should notice is the glaring similarities between beef protein isolate and gelatin. They are nearly identical, so for the purposes of comparisons between whey and the other two, we will simply compare whey vs. beef protein.

Notice that there are some massive differences. The whey product has much more of the essential amino acids and BCAAs (34.96 grams in whey vs. 19.4 grams in beef protein isolate per 100 g). The amount of essential amino acids and BCAAs are what we really want to consider when we look at different sources of protein as athletes when it comes to determining what is best for our lifestyles. These are the amino acids that aid in recovery, muscle protein synthesis, etc.

Another massive difference is the amount of glycine in beef protein (beef protein isolate contains 20.1 grams of glycine, more than 14 times the amount of glycine in whey protein). Glycine is a filler amino acid added into products to cheapen the cost of the product. Glycine comes up on lab tests that test for protein content based on nitrogen content as protein, which allows companies to pad the amount of protein in their product by stuffing them with glycine. Think of the companies that always have buy 1 get 1s on their proteins, and you will notice glycine is almost always added into their protein matrix.

If that doesn’t have you sold, this should. This is a comparison of the various protein sources we have been discussing using the Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score (PDCAAS). The PDCAAS is a method utilized by the FDA and the World Health Organization that measures the quality of protein based on the amino acid requirements of humans and their ability to digest these protein sources (2). A value of 1.00 is the highest possible PDCAAS score.

As previously discussed, most of beef proteins contain mainly collagen and gelatin, thus they have a PDCAAS of zero. These products are not beneficial for athletes.

References:

1. EASTOE, J. E. (1955). The amino acid composition of mammalian collagen and gelatin. The Biochemical journal, 61(4), 589-600.

2. Recent developments in protein quality evaluation

3. Schaafsma, G. (2000). The protein digestibility-corrected amino acid score. The Journal of nutrition, 130(7), 1865S-7S.

4. http://cancersupplementcenter.com/PD...r-01-28-08.pdf

bob/guys how often do you guys eat steak like a rump/sirloin etc not burgers/pattys, as after weight training 5 days a week I have a whey shake 60g protein straight away then 45mins-1hour I have 12oz steak rump/sirloin which ever is on offer at the store med/rare on the foreman grill, then the non weight training days I make 98% fat free minced beef burgers which are 10oz burgers, do you think im over doing the red meat as ive been doing this forever, my shit are pretty hard in the mornings, as I use all the tudca, nac, fibre and enzymes for the gut and its got me thinking about red meat and colon cancer

Imo if you like eating red meat invest in buying part of a cow, storage becomes tough but if you have a freezer then I find it's worth it

I bought a quarter of a cow in the spring from a local farmer, and with butchering fees it was a tad over $3.50lb but you can really tell the difference between the grass fed meat and the super market meat in terms of taste and how you feel after you eat it

Your fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbrian82 View Post
    I have 12oz steak rump/sirloin which ever is on offer at the store med/rare on the foreman grill, then the non weight training days I make 98% fat free minced beef burgers which are 10oz burgers, do you think im over doing the red meat as ive been doing this forever, my shit are pretty hard in the mornings, as I use all the tudca, nac, fibre and enzymes for the gut and its got me thinking about red meat and colon cancer

Your fine.
    But get your colonoscopy when it's your turn. -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    Imo if you like eating red meat invest in buying part of a cow, storage becomes tough but if you have a freezer then I find it's worth it

I bought a quarter of a cow in the spring from a local farmer, and with butchering fees it was a tad over $3.50lb but you can really tell the difference between the grass fed meat and the super market meat in terms of taste and how you feel after you eat it
    Was it feed oatmeal?

Maybe invest in GrapeFruit Protein?
    You joke, but I think that would be my strategy if I had that particular skeleton in my closet.

The best defense is a good offense.

• Grapefruit-flavored pre-workout
    • Grapefruit weight gainer
    • Grapefruit whey isolate
    • Grapefruit creatine product
    • Grapefruit multivitamins

People want to whine and complain and poke fun? lol Kai should take over the world with grapefruit products and white towels with Kai's signature embroidered across the edge.

True story, totally serious, etc. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    But get your colonoscopy when it's your turn. -_-

I have got one before and it's great actually 0 problems

OLYMPIAN

Damn...collagen.

That sucks.

Might as well just eat Jell-O.

RisingMuscle.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMX View Post