Stick to the topic guys.
    Thanks

TEAM CUTLER, Chem Forum Leader Sandpig's Avatar

You're right. Dude
    CutlerAthletics.com

CutlerNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Romano View Post
    According to my wife the IP lawyer:

Registered or not, the real NPC has common law rights on the mark. One of the keys to proving TM infringement is 'likelihood of confusion' which courts use The Polaroid Factors to determine (from famous 1961 case Polaroid Corp v. Polar ad Elecs. corp. )

1. Strength of senior user's mark.
    2. Similarity of marks.
    3. Similarity of products or services.
    4. Likelihood that senior user will grow geographically into junior users product area.
    5. Junior user's intent in adopting the mark.
    6. Evidence of actual confusion.
    7. Quality of junior user's product or service

The real NPC wins on all 7 of those factors!

There is no way, once the law suit is inevitably filed, that Thompson will prevail.
    I had brought this up to Thompson and he feels confident that because he is the one that registered the name, he has legal rights to it. I don't know shit about this stuff and don't pretend to, so that's why I just am reporting them as they're being given to me.

Until Manion and company file the lawsuit, all of this is just fodder for us in the media. And good fodder, at that.

The Fitness View Carolyn Bryant's Avatar

Fact is, the rogue defector has been talking about taking over the NPC for at least two years. Calling himself the Godfather of the IFBB. Not behind closed doors and in dark alley ways, but publically. All I heard in response were chuckles and that he was out of his mind. So how is that anyone can ask how he has the nerve, the balls to infringe upon an acronym that has been used for years? Did he just become a scandalous, bottom feeder and all these awful things overnight?

What about the DeLuca's? Are they out of their minds, too.
    "If it makes my arse tight and my face bite then I don't want it!" Over 40-Fitness is Fabulous.

All I'm telling you is that if some day Hell does freeze over and Thompson gets to keep the acronym it's not going to matter because whatever his federation ends up being it's not going to be the door to the pros. He's got no prestige and whatever little credibility he did have has been eroded by this farce to steal the NPC.

In actuality, the NPC doesn't have to fight it. They can let Thompson go ahead and call his division NPC Global and just let it fail all on it's own, as it inevitably will. Any physique competitor, from bikini to bodybuilding who wants to compete with the best athletes in the country and fight their way to pro status is going to do it under the guise of the National Physique Committee - aka - the real NPC. Inspire Physique Championships - the pirated NPC - can't do anything but follow the wet tee shirt contest business model if it plans on giving athletes any money in leu of stopping their pro aspirations dead in their tracks.
    "...The only thing i love more than athletes getting paid is the fact that it's not us who's paying them..."
    "Hardcore is Dirty"

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn Bryant View Post
    "Having said that, as a journalist, I am reporting on the Thompson issue by stating facts and assumptions based on fact"

Please share the facts about this rogue defector and all of the people involved in helping him with this attempted coup. Are the attorneys in Houston stupid, too?
    I am interested in this too. I am not interested in anything that gets John sued for slander though. (Not saying you are) I just have feeling that his journalistic ethics prevent him from telling whole story unless some people go "on the record", which they likely won't and so stories will just circulate. :/

Quote Originally Posted by John Romano View Post
    All I'm telling you is that if some day Hell does freeze over and Thompson gets to keep the acronym it's not going to matter because whatever his federation ends up being it's not going to be the door to the pros. He's got no prestige and whatever little credibility he did have has been eroded by this farce to steal the NPC.

In actuality, the NPC doesn't have to fight it. They can let Thompson go ahead and call his division NPC Global and just let it fail all on it's own, as it inevitably will. Any physique competitor, from bikini to bodybuilding who wants to compete with the best athletes in the country and fight their way to pro status is going to do it under the guise of the National Physique Committee - aka - the real NPC. Inspire Physique Championships - the pirated NPC - can't do anything but follow the wet tee shirt contest business model if it plans on giving athletes any money in leu of stopping their pro aspirations dead in their tracks.
    The names that Thompson spoke about and I have to keep off the record for now will be difference makers and if they are just the first wave, this thing may end up succeeding.

There are enough people fed up with the old guard that once sponsorships come on board (following Bodybuilding.com, which is the biggest company in the entire industry), it may be akin to Syrian refugees taking over Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    The names that Thompson spoke about and I have to keep off the record for now will be difference makers and if they are just the first wave, this thing may end up succeeding.

There are enough people fed up with the old guard that once sponsorships come on board (following Bodybuilding.com, which is the biggest company in the entire industry), it may be akin to Syrian refugees taking over Europe.
    if they felt that strongly to leave then they shouldnt care if their name is said...all i see is lee being a sales person to a pirate named dream that has more to do with revenge against the REAL NPC then actually having to do with bodybuilding

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpig View Post
    It's starting to feel like the old RX again

Same HERE!!!

Rx Muscle Radio Programming Guru and Video Editing Director

I just saw Generation Iron's video on Lee Thompson . . .arent they partners with AMI ? or something....granted they put on a disclaimer for it but.....

IF WE did that.... IM SURE we would get blacklisted 4 life 4 4 4 4 life (NWO Music)

BTW . . . Is it me or is is Mr Vlad Yudin . . .feel / looks weird for this interview ?!

I don't practice in the area of Intellectual Property however, I am fairly knowledgeable about it. John (and his wife) are correct. However, unfortunately nothing in the realm of justice is ever 100% guaranteed, but we don't have any lawsuit just yet.

No one would start a business inviting a lawsuit unless they knew it was coming or had something else up their sleeve.

Since we can't get the "off record" stuff from Joe, it doesn't help to clarify anything.

It's obvious where Rx's loyalty lies (and always has despite what "the powers that be" think of it) however I'm curious to hear what is said from Marcus Welby site about this and especially those who were in direct involvement with Lee, like Dan Solomon.

LEE THOMPSON used initials "NPC" for the exact reason that ROMANO mentions on tonight's Heavy Muscle Radio show......for SHOCK and AWE ; to draw attention to the organization. He knows he'll have to change the name.........he even admits as much in his last video.........but like the USFL did in professional football, it failed in the long run (despite signing multiple Heisman trophy winners like Doug Flutie and Hershel Walker). However, the good that came from that league was that the NFL adopted the "instant replay" and "2-point conversion". So, while the NPC/IFBB will always rule supreme; perhaps, a few "good things" might seep into the fabric of our great organization before all is said and done. Having 3 different bikini and mens physique divisions is not going to make Thompson's organization a success......it'll merely dilute it ........ What makes the IFBB great is that it has the greatest athletes; and a great leader in Jim Manion.
    Watch #askDave on RxMuscle.com. Catch previous episodes HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Poptart View Post
    I don't practice in the area of Intellectual Property however, I am fairly knowledgeable about it. John (and his wife) are correct. However, unfortunately nothing in the realm of justice is ever 100% guaranteed, but we don't have any lawsuit just yet.

No one would start a business inviting a lawsuit unless they knew it was coming or had something else up their sleeve.

Since we can't get the "off record" stuff from Joe, it doesn't help to clarify anything.

It's obvious where Rx's loyalty lies (and always has despite what "the powers that be" think of it) however I'm curious to hear what is said from Marcus Welby site about this and especially those who were in direct involvement with Lee, like Dan Solomon.
    The off the record topic was really just the names of the competitors. All of the other stuff was wide open. I actually asked Lee Thompson about his prior dealings and partners that are in the IFBB/NOC, like Dan Solomon and Phil Heath. He said that they are still friends but obviously cannot conduct business they way they did anymore.

I'm sure that Marcus Welby himself (aka Blechy) has instructed his employees to ignore any and all mentions of Thompson.

It seems like THOMPSON is trying to do what PAUL DILLETT did in CANADA.......however, DILLETT didn't use the NPC/IFBB as the "bad guy" in his plan to promote bodybuilding competitions. In fact, he remained friendly with Jim Manion. I don't see too many pro bodybuilders or figure, bikini or physique competitors leaving the IFBB and competing in any other alternative organizations........why? Because the IFBB is number one and has the most opportunities. When an 18 year old kid looks at the various bodybuilding media websites, facebook and instagram .....he doesn't say, I wanna look like that guy in "ABC" organization.......99.9% of the time, he's pointing at an IFBB Pro athlete.
    Watch #askDave on RxMuscle.com. Catch previous episodes HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    The off the record topic was really just the names of the competitors. All of the other stuff was wide open. I actually asked Lee Thompson about his prior dealings and partners that are in the IFBB/NOC, like Dan Solomon and Phil Heath. He said that they are still friends but obviously cannot conduct business they way they did anymore.

I'm sure that Marcus Welby himself (aka Blechy) has instructed his employees to ignore any and all mentions of Thompson.
    There is 'intense discussion' on MD about Thompson and the new federation.
    Baye, Chick, Shawn Ray and Ron Harris are weighing in on it.
    Maybe they missed the memo from Blechman.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast