Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    OLYMPIAN

Default Romano on the NPC & IFBB

Happy to see John Romano back at RxMuscle after leaving years ago and putting the NPC & IFBB and much of its leadership on blast for quite a long time. I'd ask Romano though now that he has comeback into the fold so to speak to address the belief that some have that this is merely pandering as his wife has since earned IFBB pro status.
    This isn't intended to be an unfriendly dig, but rather an opportunity for a well written person whose had a variety of positions on the leagues and sport in general to address where he is at now and why in a more concise way that might actually educate those out there that are listening to a cross-current of perspectives that may even know some of Romano's history to get an up-to-date perspective.

and not a dig at you but your last sentence is an entire paragraph long and difficult to read

Quote Originally Posted by Musclepapa John View Post
    Happy to see John Romano back at RxMuscle after leaving years ago and putting the NPC & IFBB and much of its leadership on blast for quite a long time. I'd ask Romano though now that he has comeback into the fold so to speak to address the belief that some have that this is merely pandering as his wife has since earned IFBB pro status.
    This isn't intended to be an unfriendly dig, but rather an opportunity for a well written person whose had a variety of positions on the leagues and sport in general to address where he is at now and why in a more concise way that might actually educate those out there that are listening to a cross-current of perspectives that may even know some of Romano's history to get an up-to-date perspective.
    MPJ.
    Nothing personal but have you ever tried to condense your paragraph long sentences into something shorter?

Quote Originally Posted by DBowden View Post
    MPJ.
    Nothing personal but have you ever tried to condense your paragraph long sentences into something shorter?
    LMAO

He tries hard and he's improving. I was surprised there were two paragraphs and one of them was a entire sentence.

IFBB Women's Historian Steve Wennerstrom's Avatar

Having known John for over 30 years, I am trying to imagine in my mind's eye his response to this rambling preamble....... head drops forward,eyes cross, then roll back in his head. Am I close John? LOL

Ex Ass, now just annoying swingslammer's Avatar

Who is J Romano ' s wife now...sorry but I missed that info.
    Gone but not forgotten, I remember you too Dookie!

OLYMPIAN

Condensed version: Yo Romano I listened to tons of smack talk about the Manions and all heads of the NPC & IFBB from you at VPX after you got run off from here. Don't recall any reason given by you for your change of heart besides your wife wanting to be competitive in the IFBB. I happen to like the Manions and don't have qualms with the way the feds run their shows etc. Sounds like you don't either "now", but can't imagine you got let back into the fold without some serious back pedaling and apologies. Curious also if you have press access to NPC & IFBB events as a result.

For those asking wife is Valerie Garcia-Giovanoli Ifbb Pro and USC law school grad and reported former Assistant State Attorney here in Florida: www.facebook.com/ValerieAnnGarcia

Hardfitness interview: http://www.hardfitness.com/emagazine...questions.html

OLYMPIAN

Mostly trying to coax Romano into giving his testimony of the value of competing in the NPC and IFBB. That's in light of so many "I Support the NPC & IFBB" claims by those less gifted than Romano at clear communications skills.
    I find the NPC & IFBB to be the greatest, most successful of the orgs that has a critical mass based on size, international recognition, etc to draw the greatest amount of participation. If one is interested in running a media business focused on covering athletes versus trying to run the organization it seems the NPC & IFBB is the place to be.
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 10-07-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Fair question, albeit nearly in another language....

My wife, Valerie, never competed before the 2014 Mid Atlantic States. There she won the overall in physique, thus qualifying for the Nationals, which she entered 4 weeks later, placed 2nd and earned her pro card. This was all while the tensions between me and the IFBB/NPC were at its height. In fact, I had an altercation with someone related to the NPC at the Nationals and Mel Chancey stepped in and saved the guy's life - while my wife was on stage.

This year Val competed in the Texas pro and placed 3rd.

My decision to make peace with Jim Manion, et al, only had to do with the fact that I honestly admire what the guy has accomplished and for 25 years have always had a better than decent friendship with him. In all honesty, I missed my involvement, I missed being involved with RX and I missed all my friends in the industry. My wife's competitive career had nothing to do with it. She doesn't even go by "Romano." I believe the shows she entered were judged fairly and there was never any indication that she would be treated any differently. The beef was between me and them, she had nothing to do with it and was treated as such. They hated me the most while she was qualifying for and earning her pro card.

Moving forward, This weekend's Phoenix Europa show will likely be her last show. She's going back to practicing law as a prosecutor, which will leave little time for Max, me and our dogs, let alone competing. So, the idea that I made peace with the IFBB/NPC to facilitate my wife's competitive career, while understandably considered, is completely erroneous, not to mention chronologically moot.
    "...The only thing i love more than athletes getting paid is the fact that it's not us who's paying them..."
    "Hardcore is Dirty"

I liked her suit-who made it?
    Last edited by ~gymdiva~; 10-07-2015 at 09:29 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by John Romano View Post
    Fair question, albeit nearly in another language....

My wife, Valerie, never competed before the 2014 Mid Atlantic States. There she won the overall in physique, thus qualifying for the Nationals, which she entered 4 weeks later, placed 2nd and earned her pro card. This was all while the tensions between me and the IFBB/NPC were at its height. In fact, I had an altercation with someone related to the NPC at the Nationals and Mel Chancey stepped in and saved the guy's life - while my wife was on stage.

This year Val competed in the Texas pro and placed 3rd.

My decision to make peace with Jim Manion, et al, only had to do with the fact that I honestly admire what the guy has accomplished and for 25 years have always had a better than decent friendship with him. In all honesty, I missed my involvement, I missed being involved with RX and I missed all my friends in the industry. My wife's competitive career had nothing to do with it. She doesn't even go by "Romano." I believe the shows she entered were judged fairly and there was never any indication that she would be treated any differently. The beef was between me and them, she had nothing to do with it and was treated as such. They hated me the most while she was qualifying for and earning her pro card.

Moving forward, This weekend's Phoenix Europa show will likely be her last show. She's going back to practicing law as a prosecutor, which will leave little time for Max, me and our dogs, let alone competing. So, the idea that I made peace with the IFBB/NPC to facilitate my wife's competitive career, while understandably considered, is completely erroneous, not to mention chronologically moot.

That's very touching, John, but I know that you likely have some other motive in mind or reason for you "making peace" with Manion and the IFBB. But that's none of my business and I have better things to do than to investigate what gears are winding around in your head.

BTW...Mel Chancey saving a man's life from your wrath......chuckle. Sorry but I gotta hit you up with this.

everything is a freakin' conspiracy to some of you

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by John Romano View Post
    My decision to make peace with Jim Manion, et al, only had to do with the fact that I honestly admire what the guy has accomplished and for 25 years have always had a better than decent friendship with him. In all honesty, I missed my involvement, I missed being involved with RX and I missed all my friends in the industry.
    That's what I was looking for.
    I think you can do even better though at distinguishing the values of the NPC & IFBB than you have here.

Your wife is a fine example of many in the sport who are professionals in other walks of life. First and foremost competitors can use the stage as a platform (DLB is good example) for their own promotions of....whatever. One of the area female bodybuilders told me years ago she returned to the stage basically to remind her muscle worship clientele she was alive and ready to book another session. Whether you are pimping this product or that as a brand ambassador or making bank sitting on your ass between workouts and meals vying for big bucks at the olympia.....the NPC & IFBB is where its at.

I deleted you from facebook back then as I'm sure many others did not wanting that bad vibe to rub off. Seems this is a time when the leadership rightfully has to question the loyalty of everyone regardless of what comes out of their mouth. Digging deep in the well of communications skill you have I believe you can do some serious good for this site and the NPC and IFBB.

You didn't address the press access
    Last edited by Musclepapa John; 10-07-2015 at 09:39 PM.

OLYMPIAN

Now he's riding the Manion meat train hard. How times change..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ~gymdiva~ View Post
    everything is a freakin' conspiracy to some of you

Well, giving Romano a little tease isn't going to hurt his feelings. Besides, I have other matters to deal with a few people who are basically bullshitting people out of their hard earned money recently along with basically telling people to go fuck themselves. Not looking forward to it but it is what it is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast