Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by data4 View Post
    Yes sir, its been running for a few years. You would get a kick out of it im sure. Its in the Contest Prep section.
    Right on man! I'll check it out now!

I LOVE Saturday and Sundays for 1 main reason…there are mandatory check ins for all my Beast Fitness clients. Finishing up my workout this morning, I check my email and see that a good friend of mine not ONLY is recomping better than I anticipated, but managed to increase his poundages on EVERY LIFT during his test week this past week!

"I tested my maxes this week and it felt great man, honestly the gains were not that apparent to me till i tested this week. I managed to beat my PRs which i was stagnant at for months!!! Damn man, really feels great haha. Thank you Coach!!"

Remember, progress may not be seen day to day. Progress is seen week to week, and month to month. Keep the long term goal in mind.

Theres a time and place to train at a mechanical advantage and disadvantage. Learning when and how to implement these can greatly help your overall efforts for muscular size and strength progress.

Instead of the traditional sunday Vlog I have a Full Day of Eating from yesterday! Gotta EAT TO GROW!

Coming up this week on Beast Fitness​ Radio we have Kurt Weidner​ discussing Contest Prep! The episode will be available tomorrow, and if you missed our first podcast with Austin Stout​, we discussed Glucose Disposal Agents! Subscribe and learn some very beneficial and applicable knowledge!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...t/id1065532968

Three myostatin inhibitors available from your supplements supplier

Leucine, HMB and creatine probably all boost muscle growth because they reduce the functioning of myostatin, the protein that causes muscles to atrophy. Molecular scientists at Auburn University in the US write about it in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. The researchers did in-vitro studies on the effects of leucine, HMB and creatine on muscle cells.

Myostatin inhibitors
    Muscle cells slow down their own growth by producing the protein myostatin. By more or less deactivating that protein you can build up more muscle mass and strength, so scientists all over the world are searching for myostatin blockers.

Most of the research has been done by pharmacologists, but some studies have also been published on the effect of lifestyle factors and supplements on myostatin synthesis. Five years ago, for example, Iranian researchers reported that they had been able to reduce myostatin production in strength athletes by giving them a creatine supplement.

Study
    The researchers exposed young C2C12 muscle cells to myostatin [MSTN] and to three well-studied components of bodybuilding supplements: creatine [CrM], leucine and HMB. [Chemical structures above]

DM/CTL = the control group of muscle cells that were given no treatment.

Results
    As a result of the myostatin, the muscle cells produced less MyoD, but the presence of leucine, HMB and creatine corrected this. MyoD is an anabolic signal molecule that is involved in muscle fibre growth. It enables stem cells to attach themselves to muscle fibres.

Leucine and HMB, but above all creatine, stimulated activity of the Mighty gene in the muscle cells. This gene sabotages the functioning of myostatin. Another name for Mighty is Akirin-1.

The muscle cells formed muscle fibres, but the presence of myostatin inhibited the process. Leucine, HMB and above all creatine reduced the inhibitory effect. And this effect is largely bound up with the activity of the Mighty gene.

Mighty
    Because they wanted to know for sure whether the Mighty gene is crucial to muscle growth the researchers did another experiment. This time they deactivated the Mighty gene using s-RNA. The figures below show that in the muscle cells where this happened [shRNA Akirin-1] fewer muscle fibres were indeed formed than in muscle cells in which the Mighty gene was still active [shRNA scrambled].

Conclusion
    "We demonstrated that leucine, HMB, and creatine monohydrate reverse myostatin-induced atrophy in myotubes", the researchers summarize. "This potentially results from the independent action of each ingredient modulating Akirin-1/Mighty mRNA expression. Furthermore, our findings suggest that, in spite of myostatin treatments, creatine monohydrate treatment up-regulates Akirin-1/Mighty mRNA which leads to a hypertrophic effect clearly independent of muscle protein synthesis."

"Future in vivo studies should continue to examine how leucine, HMB, and/or creatine monohydrate independently or synergistically affect Akirin-1/Mighty gene expression. More importantly, while Akirin-1/Mighty gene expression is needed for the maintenance of myofiber size as reported herein, further research is needed in order to examine how Akirin-1/Mighty gene expression mechanistically relates to skeletal muscle hypertrophy in vivo."

So the researchers wonder whether creatine, leucine and HMB can reinforce each other's myostatin inhibitory effect. This idea becomes more plausible if you take into account the evidence that leucine and HMB probably stimulate muscle growth via different mechanisms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25132809
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20026378

BCAAs inhibit fat mass growth
    If you're putting on weight, a diet containing extra BCAAs may help you build up less fat mass. Japanese researchers discovered, when doing experiments with mice, that the liver and muscles play a key role in the fat-mass reducing effect of BCAAs.

Athletes use BCAAs mainly as an anticatabolic supplement. They usually take somewhere between 5 and 25 g before training and notice that this helps them to recover faster.

BCAAs were originally marketed in Japan as clinical nutritional aids. They strengthen liver functioning and also have a positive effect on the insulin and glucose metabolism. Liver disease and diabetes are also possible effects of overweight. Which is why the Japanese wondered whether BCAAs could help to limit the negative health effects of the current obesity epidemic.

The researchers gave their mice feed consisting of 45 or 65 percent fat for six weeks. The mice put on weight fast on these diets. After four weeks the Japanese added BCAAs to the drinking water of half of the lab animals. One ml drinking water contained 20 mg BCAAs.

The BCAA supplementation had no effect on weight gain in the mice that were given feed consisting of 65 percent fat, but it did have an effect on the 45 percent fat group.

The researchers are not able to explain this. The BCAAs didn't stop the mice from getting fatter, but they did reduce the speed with which the mice built up fat mass, as the figure below shows. What's more, the BCAA animals had fifty percent less white fat tissue [WAT] than the mice in the control group.

The researchers actually found that the supplementation had the greatest effects in the muscle and liver cells rather than in the fat cells. They found fifty percent less fat [triglycerides] in these cells in the BCAA mice, and much greater activity in the molecules that are involved in fat burning, such as the fat sensor PPAR-alpha, the enzyme COT-1 and the uncoupling proteins 2 and 3. CPT-1 helps the cells to burn fatty acids; uncoupling proteins boost the heat production in cells.

Many athletes who use BCAAs say that they lose noticeable amounts of fat. The Japanese research shows that these athletes may be right.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21372430
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20089773
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21169225

In this week's episode of Beast Fitness​ Radio, I was lucky enough to interview WNBF Pro Bodybuilder, Kurt Weidner​ on everything relating to setting up a successful contest prep! Thanks Kurt for coming on and teaching me what a truly contest ready physique takes to achieve! Download and subscribe at

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...t/id1065532968

or listen on my YouTube Channel!

My client and good friend Matt putting in the WORK! We've been working together for only 3 short weeks and focusing on recomping properly and taking advantage of the strength and hypertrophy adaptations during this phase. The picture says it all! Proud of you man!

Branched Chained Amino Acids are extremely beneficial as they are not only anabolic, but anti-catabolic as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22127230
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16140883

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast