Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Journey Through 2016

Hello gang, how goes it? Starting my 2016 workout journal right here, right now. I always figured anything really worth doing is worth doing right away, not postponed for later just because a date on the calendar looks nice. So here it goes.

I am 31 years old, male, currently work full time as DoD fitness director for the USS Essex out of San Diego, CA. I am not active duty I will note.

I have done the bodybuilding thing years ago and even did the MPD thing a couple years back as well. Mild success with those but I did enjoy and learn much going through the ringer with both sports. I have done powerlifting for about 2 years now with a 9 month hiatus this year due to my recent deployment. Been back 2 weeks today and so far this past 2 weeks has been the best 2 weeks of workouts and progress in months!

I lost some strength from pre deployment for sure as well as some weight due to not being able to eat as much and as often as needed but that is all on the mend now.

Not sure this coming year will be much on the physique side in terms of comps but rather more on the strongman and powerlifting side as I really was having a ball with the strength game prior to deployment.

I follow a conjugate program adapted from west side method of training. Its tweaked just a bit from a template I got from Matt Wenning and his clan out of Ludus Magnus gym in Ohio. 3 days max effort work, 3 days dynamic effort work, 1 day pure conditioning.

I would love to be back around 210 again but for now 197 is where I sit.

Please make comments, ask questions, interact with me here as I am doing this whole journal for the sake of forum member insight, opinion, support and knowledge both taken in and given out.

Wish you all a happy new year and best of luck in your fitness, health, sport and training goals!

Yesterday was day 6 in the split which means lower body pull day. Here was how it went down:

630-830pm

warm up, dynamic movements, hip mobility, foam roll

deadlifts, sumo style
    as many sets as needed using 5 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps and 1 rep until I reached 405. Did as many singles at 405 with 2 minute breaks until form breaks. got 4 tonight.

bodyweight mixed grip pull/chin ups, 5 sets of 5

seated cable low row, 3x25 reps

45 degree hyper bench: 2x20 with 20lb bar across back

single leg TRX RDL, 2x8 each leg

seated calf press: 4x10

preacher curl machine: 4x10

10 minutes weighted jog with 25lb vest at 5mph and 5% grade.

end.........

Today was an off day from weights and conditioning was all we had. As follows....

4 minute intervals getting up to 85% (163BPM) HRR by the 4th minute and holding at that level the 4th minute. rest 2 minutes and start back up.

woodway curve treadmill- stairmaster- incline treadmill walk- precor AMT- upright bike

Much of my conditioning is 30-40 minutes max with rest periods factored in. I find this higher intensity, shorter duration max effort work lends itself far better to my work with BUD/s groups as I am required to keep up to an extent with the drills and training we put them through. Not identical of course but ya cant be gassing out mid session either.

Yesterday was day 1 of the cycle, last workout of 2015!!!

Lower body push max effort day:

cardio warm up, dynamic movement, foam roll.....

squats: set sof 5-3-2-1 working up to 330lbs for singles at 2 minute rests until form breaks, 5 sets tonight.

db depth lunge (front foot elevated 3")
    3x12 each leg

wide leg press
    3x15

leg extension, prone leg curl superset: 2x15 (failure)

lateral trx squats
    2x20

leg press calf press
    2x20 (failure)

10 minute weighted vest incline walk at 65% HHR (143bpm)

day 2 in the cycle, upper body push day....here she be...

230-400pm

warm up, dynamic movements, cuff series.

bench press: sets of 5 down to singles at highest weight possible for singles until forms breaks. 4 sets of 225 tonight.

bb military press: 5 sets of 6 and 2 sets of 3 at max weight. 125lbs tonight.

bw dips: 2x10 with slow eccentric

db laterals: 3x12 (failure)

tate press: 3x12

incline db fly: 2x10 with slow eccentric

Legs pretty sore from yesterday let me tell ya! Quads and glutes feeling it all day today. Love it! Did an easy 6 minutes on the bike to get them loose after the workout. Nothing crazy, just a flush out.

Looks like a good program you have going there buddy.Good luck with your training this year.

Default Return to the grind!

Missed posting up my last 2 workouts with the leaving home and getting back to San Diego.

Had cardio conditioning circuit yesterday, same as the last 4 minute series of 6 stations as listed earlier. Did upper body dynamic effort day before that and lower body dynamic effort the day before that. Lets leave it at that and move on.

As of this morning I was 200lbs even and 13% via my BIA reading. First day back to the grind (albiet slow and quiet at work). Massive rain has hit San Diego I guess of which I am seeing yet today but was worse before I am told.

I leave WI cold and snow only to get 20 degree improvement and day long rain......WTF?

Tonight is lower body max effort which I'll post later. Also have my every 8th day cheat meal/carb load dinner planned! I go every 8th day as it falls on a lower body max effort day that way. My longest and hardest workout of the rotation. Mine as well make it work with me right?

As with the last 4 cheats I have done it will likely be centered around pancakes, waffles or french toast again.....I mean seriously......why the hell change what aint broken right? A good thing is a good thing!

Happy New Years You all!
    Last edited by Joshua H; 01-06-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    Looks like a good program you have going there buddy.Good luck with your training this year.
    x2! Nice looking program!
    2016 RX Member of the Year & March 2015 Member of the Month
    https://www.instagram.com/sunny52kg/

https://granitesupplements.com/ideva...ate.php?id=127

Had myself an amazing stack of the best pancakes in all San Diego on Wednesday night......pure heaven people, heaven! Anywhoo.....

Thursday was lower max effort and here she be...

North Island Fitness Center......630pm-8pm.

Warm up run, dynamic movement, hip series.....

back squats:
    worked up to singles at 320lbs......sucked ass as the floor mats they have are spongy and it makes it hard to drive your feet into the floor without losing GRF. Not happy with that.
    Hit 4 sets of 1 at 320 and called it a day.

seated calf press: 3x20

cable step ups: 3x13 each leg

hammer hack squats: 3x20

prone hammer leg curl:2x20

leg extensions: 2x20

plank iso holds: 2x30 each side

5 minute octane elliptical burn out.....stay at 85% HRR the whole 5 minutes

Thursday:

Fully carbed up from Wednesday we hit the 24 hour fitness gym in point loma for some upper body max effort push work....here we go.....

cardio warm up, dynamic movements, cuff series.....

bench press:

worked up to singles at 225, got 5 sets in with perfect touch and go tempo.

seated bb press: 6 sets working up to 150lbs for a single.

seated hammer machine tricep press down: 4 sets working to 8 reps at failure

3 way circuit: free motion cable high to low fly, rear cable fly, tricep press downs: all 3 back to back for 12-13 reps shy of failure......

3 way circuit TRX: chest fly, face pull, overhead tricep extension: 1x10 of each with full stretch.

7 minute stairmaster burn out: work up to 80% HRR and hold till the end.

Today is cardio conditioning. I am finding that I did not seem to handle the 3 day split I was on as well as I thought. I just did not recover as well as need be. My numbers dont move up like they should each week. I have been doing a 2 on 1 off rotation independent of the day of the week.

I may flip to a lower/upper/off rotation starting tomorrow. 2 days power, 2 days strength. Or technically, 2 days dynamic effort, 2 days max effort (to keep the west side folks happy).

Every 3rd day will be core and conditioning only.

I should also note that I added in a new supplement this week, first new product I have added in my supplement routine in 3 months now. Its called Glycosolve and its made by Dr. Spencer Nodalsky. Its found at Leaner Living dot com website. Its 500mg berberine and the research is quite promising for use in humans as a nutrient partitioning agent. I am running a 1 month cycle on it without any changes to my diet or training to see how weight, strength and body comp respond to the product.

One more note to mention.....

I follow a modified IF protocol of sorts. I do this as continuation of what I was kinda forced into while living on the ship during deployment from Oct through our return home Dec 15th. I was unable to catch breakfast after my 0600 spin class ended as the wardoom stopped serving at 0700. I then had another class at 0900 so eating a big meal right before that was not something I wanted to throw in me. I would have 10-15 grams BCAA and 5-10 grams glutamine and my black coffee and let that be that. I felt amazingly good for being fasted until 11am and even found myself pretty energetic which I did not think would be the case.

I have stuck to this fast until 11am or even 12 noon at very latest as thats when hunger pangs really start to scream at me. I eat at 11ish, 3ish, 7ish and 11pmish every day. Thats a 12 hour window of eating and a 12 hour window of fasting. I have always enjoyed being fuller and eating a bigger meal vice a smaller meal and feeling like I want more yet. Feels too much like contest dieting to me!

So far its worked well and I am back to 200lbs now with numbers climbing up again so the process seems to be working out well. Mind you I do not train prior to eating, that would not go well for me, I may teach my classes yes but thats not nearly as intense as my own workouts. I train at about 630 most training days. Conditioning however I will do fasted prior to my 11amish meal on those days and I do well despite the fast which surprised me.

OK gang, thats all. Happy Friday to you all and stay well, stay strong, and go get it this weekend! Have fun!

Saturday Showdown!........here we go.....upper body pull day:

115pm-3pm, north island admiral martin gym:

5 min row warm up, hip mobility series

sumo deads, worked up to 405 and hit 5 singles with 1:45 times rest periods.

bodyweight pull ups with mixed grips: 5x6

hammer low row: 3x25 reps

opposite arm SL KB deadlifts:3x9 each with 30lb KB

45 degree hyper bench w/25lb plate across chest: 2x20

seated db curls: as many reps in 25 seconds as possible with 35lbs for 4 sets
    hammer preacher curl burn out: 1x20

trap bar shrugs: 3x15 @ 225

5 minutes recumbent bike @ 70% HHR

Hit up my favorite sushi joint after todays lift and slammed myself 5 hand-rolls and 9 orders of nigiri (keeping pretty darn clean i may say). Been Almost 2 months solid since I had me some sushi so this was overdue!

Peace out folks! Have a great Sunday!

Sunday game plan.....

Watched my packers take out the redskins this afternoon and that got me in a darn good mood to go hit my workout up at MCRD, the Marine Corps gym just down the street from my place. Its now 24/7 which is awesome!

Here we go...

upper body dynamic effort day

5 min elliptical, cuff series, dynamic warm ups.

3x5 clap push ups

10x3 bench press, 1 min rests, 175lbs

5x5 standing bb push press, 115lbs

5x8 bw dips with slow eccentric

triplex of machine laterals, pec deck, machine tricep extensions for 12-13 reps each, 3 rounds through.

6 minutes stepmill at 70% HRR

That was all for today my friends. Tomorrow I am hitting dynamic effort legs with squats. Gonna see if a P/P/L split with 1 day off between every 3 on days works out. Need to balance my max effort and dynamic effort as best I can alongside my work schedule classes which are heavy in the cardio and I do not need more cardio given my build and metabolism as it is!

Yesterday first.....

Point Loma Anti Submarine Warfare base gym.....

615-745pm

5 min bike, dynamic movement, hip series.

squats: 5 sets of 5 down to 2 reps for 3 sets of 295......felt way off and just could not hit a grove. felt like my movement pattern was jacked up at the bottom.

box squats: 225x5

front squats: 155x8 for 3 sets

rear foot elevated split squats with 20lb KB's: 2x9 reps slow and controlled

seated calf press: 6x10 reps, slow and controlled

glute ham raises: 3x8 slow and controlled eccentric

leg extensions: 3x15 to failure

Rocked out some bad ass cold stone creamery fruit'n froyo in a waffle bowl after the carnage was over just across the road. first indulges at CSC in over a year!

Now for today...

cardio conditioning:

610-720pm

3 minute goes on each elliptical, bike and stairmaster with HR at 85% HRR. after the 9 minute round hit 3 core moves of choice (i did 3 different TRX based moves) for 45 seconds. then finish out with 13 KB swings per hand and 13 burpees. rest 1 minute and start back at the elliptical.

HR monitor shows i burned 704 in 52 minutes. i am after the HR training zone and conditioning benefit more then calories and body comp mind you. again i do these conditioning workouts for my job working with SEALS and general Navy. Cant be pooped out in mid workout demo can we!

Thats all folks, take care of yourselves and stay at it with a vengeance! 2016 is your year!

Here we go, short and sweet....

530pm-7pm

NMAWC Base Gym

upper push day

5 min bike, cuff and shoulder series.

bench press: worked to 225 for 5 singles touch and go, wide grip.

bb seated military press: worked to 145 for 4 doubles coming down to chin each rep.

smith machine close grip floor presses: 35 and 25 each side, 4x8.

cable leaning lateral raises: 3x12 w/ pause at top

30 degree incline fly: 3x12 with 40's w/o pause at top or bottom.

superset rear delt pec deck with cable tricep extensions: 3x15 each

60 sec deep stretch for triceps, pecs and delts, 5 minute treadmill speed walk, done!

Thats all folks. Felt really good and focused tonight. Solid session.

Visiting IHOP tomorrow for weekly carb up/cheat. Its AYCE month too so 1 price = all the hotcake you can stomach till you had your fill. Booya!

Lets get to it!!

Upper Pull Day.

24 Hour Midway

630-8pm

5 min warm up cardio, dynamic movements, cuff series.

bw mixed grip pulls ups: 5x8 reps

hammer underhand DY row: 3x25

chest supported t bar rows: 3x13 with full stretch iso hold and full iso hold on squeeze

FST-7 straight arm pull downs for 12 reps each set

standing calf press shrugs (wow this works and hurts!!) 4x15 reps with pause at top

preacher machine curls: 3x12

FST-7 DB curls for 12 reps each set

1 minute DB iso holds with 70's x 2 rounds

5 minute cardio cool down.

off to IHOP for the routine weekly carb up. this time with the AYCE deal they got i could not help but give this a go vice my normal downtown hotcake spot. for $8 bucks your cant go wrong with IHOP. was not dissapointed. 20 pancakes in 40ish minutes.......i was very pleased!

Last edited by Joshua H; 01-15-2016 at 03:09 AM.

OK gang, yesterday was conditioning only so I did a 55 minute 25% loaded ruck with my BUDs guys around the track for distance. Covered 5 miles in that time frame, not bad.

Today was upper body max effort push day.

530-715pm, 24 hour fitness hillcrest

5 min cardio warm up, dynamic movements, cuff/shoulder series

hammer incline press
    8-10 lead up sets of 8 down to 3 singles at 110lbs per side

hammer front military press
    5 sets of 8 down to triples at 75lbs per side

seated tricep push downs
    4x12,10,8,8

FST7 machine laterals x 12 reps

high to low cable pec fly
    3x12

FST7 machine tricep extensions x 12 reps

5 minutes bike cool down cardio

deep iso stretching for pecs, delts and tris.

Its San Diego Restaurant Week as of today so that means its belly up time for this guy! 2-3-4 course fixed lunch and dinner options at 180 venues all over the county. Got my 7 picked out.

Tonights post lift meal was at Hash House A Go Go. Nabbed myself the famously well known Waffle Tower! Amazing!! More to come!

HRT doc out of FL has me going back on 50mg clomid daily and 1/2 tab arimidex twice weekly. got the Rx today sent to my pharmacy. started back up today. he did not like my free and total T being down as low as there were compared to last march before deployment. not been very symptomatic even with the low levels but the labs show the truth.
    Last edited by Joshua H; 01-18-2016 at 02:45 AM.

Today were back for day 2 of 3 in the split, upper pull day baby!

Here we go.....

530pm 24 hour fitness midway drive

5 min bike warm up, dynamic movements, cuff series...

mixed grip bw pull ups, 5 sets of 6 reps

hammer DY row: 3x25 reps to fail

FST 7 straight arm pull downs for 12 reps a set

chest supported t bar row: 3x12 with full stretch and iso hold at top of each rep

preacher curl machine: 3x12 to failure

FST7 cable straight bar curls for 10-12 reps a set

TRX facepulls: 3x15

7 minutes mild stepmill cool down

Tonight was my first of 6 visits to local restaurants (of the 180 participating in San Diego) for restaurant week. Tried out a new Thai place near the gym. Kanda Thai. Got all this for $20.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast