Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    I obviously was referring to obama, who has been the most divisive president in US history with race, police and partisan issues. He has been even worse internationally than he has stateside.

Your new guy is flying refugees in by the thousands and there has already been terrorist acts up there. This new batch of ISIS undercover is going to make anyone who voted for that lib regret it.
    Be Not Afraid

When President Obama tells Americans to stop worrying, he’s accused of fecklessness. But he has a point: we have never been safer.

By Edmon De Haro
    March 2015

It often befalls presidents to be most criticized in office for what later turn out to have been their particular strengths. Disparaged at the time as simplemindedness, timidity, and slickness, Ronald Reagan’s firmness, George H. W. Bush’s caution, and Bill Clinton’s adaptability look in hindsight like features, not bugs. (Unfortunately, George W. Bush’s bugs still look like bugs.) President Obama catches flak for his supposed underreaction to crises in the Middle East, Ukraine, and elsewhere. Instead of leading, the professorial president lectures the American public not to be so darned worried. “If you watch the nightly news, it feels like the world is falling apart,” he said last August. “I promise you things are much less dangerous now than they were 20 years ago, 25 years ago, or 30 years ago. This is not something that is comparable to the challenges we faced during the Cold War.” Blame social media, he tells us, for shoving so much upsetting stuff in our faces.

Naturally, Obama’s pontifications draw protests. “I strongly disagree with the president’s assertion last night that America is safer,” said Senator John McCain. “By no objective measurement is America safer.” Danger abounds! In 2012, General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, pronounced the world “more dangerous than it has ever been.” That was before the Islamic State, or ISIS, took over swaths of Iraq. Senator Lindsey Graham has warned that failure to defeat ISIS “will open the gates of hell to spill out on the world.” Obama appears to have his doubts: a few months after Chuck Hagel, then the defense secretary, pronounced ISIS an “imminent” threat, not just to the United States but “to every stabilized country on Earth,” Obama sacked him.

The American people deserve to hear complex, multifaceted debates about any number of complex, multifaceted matters. This is not one of them. Obama is simply right. The alarmists are simply wrong. America is safer than it has ever been and very likely safer than any country has ever been, a fact that politicians and the public are curiously reluctant to believe.

Danger is a broad category. In principle, it includes everything from workplace accidents and natural disasters to infectious diseases and pollution. In pretty much all of those categories, we’re doing well, although we have much work to do. For present purposes, however, let’s limit ourselves to threats in the usual political sense: malevolent violence against Americans. The major menaces here would be warfare, crime, and terrorism.

Historically, warfare has been the biggest violent killer of humans. According to Steven Pinker, the author of The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined, today is probably the most peaceful time in human history. By the numbers, he writes, “the world was a far more dangerous place” in the 1960s, ’70s, and ’80s. According to the Uppsala Conflict Data Program, armed conflicts have declined by almost 40 percent since right after the end of the Cold War. “Today,” write Micah Zenko and Michael A. Cohen in Foreign Affairs, “wars tend to be low-intensity conflicts that, on average, kill about 90 percent fewer people than did violent struggles in the 1950s.” War between major nation-states has dwindled to the verge of extinction. In the context of human evolution, this is an astounding development.

Of course, the world remains turbulent, but most of today’s military conflict, as in Syria right now, takes the form of civil war rather than war between nations, and implicates American interests but not American lives (unless America enters the fighting). The United States faces no plausible military invader or attacker. All we are really talking about, when we discuss threats from Iran or North Korea or ISIS, is whether our margin of safety should be very large or even larger. “No great power in world history comes close to enjoying the traditional state security that the United States does today,” writes Stephanie Rugolo in A Dangerous World? Threat Perception and U.S. National Security, a new collection of essays from the Cato Institute.

Here at home, criminal violence is, as ever, a serious problem. But its reduction over the past couple of decades is one of the great success stories of our time. The violent-crime rate (which excludes homicides) has declined by more than 70 percent since the early 1990s. The homicide rate has declined by half, and in 2011 it reached the lowest level since 1963. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, between 1995 and 2010 the rate of rape and sexual assault fell from five per 1,000 females to two.

And how do Americans celebrate this extraordinary success? By denying it. Every year Gallup asks whether crime has gone up or down since the previous year. Every year, rain or shine, the public insists, usually by overwhelming margins (63 percent to 21 percent in 2014), that crime has risen. “Most Americans Unaware of Big Crime Drop Since 1990s,” announced the Pew Research Center in 2013; only 10 percent of those surveyed knew that gun crimes had gone down since the 1990s. Criminologists say that many people get angry when told that crime is decreasing.

Perception is even more skewed where terrorism is concerned. “Terror-ism Worries Largely Unchanged,” ran another Pew headline, also in 2013. That year, 58 percent of the public was worried about another terrorist attack in the United States, a rate not all that much lower in October 2001, immediately after the 9/11 attacks, when 71 percent of the public was worried. A few months ago, perhaps influenced by ISIS’s atrocities, a large plurality of respondents told NBC News/Wall Street Journal pollsters that the country is less safe than it was before 9/11.

More @ http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...afraid/384965/

TL-DR I stopped at fecklessness, cause I had to look that word up.
    Last edited by Mac; 02-13-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    Be Not Afraid

When President Obama tells Americans to stop worrying, he’s accused of fecklessness. But he has a point: we have never been safer.

By Edmon De Haro
    March 2015

It often befalls presidents to be most criticized in office for what later turn out to have been their particular strengths. Disparaged at the time as simplemindedness, timidity, and slickness, Ronald Reagan’s firmness, George H. W. Bush’s caution, and Bill Clinton’s adaptability look in hindsight like features, not bugs. (Unfortunately, George W. Bush’s bugs still look like bugs.) President Obama catches flak for his supposed underreaction to crises in the Middle East, Ukraine, and elsewhere. Instead of leading, the professorial president lectures the American public not to be so darned worried. “If you watch the nightly news, it feels like the world is falling apart,” he said last August. “I promise you things are much less dangerous now than they were 20 years ago, 25 years ago, or 30 years ago. This is not something that is comparable to the challenges we faced during the Cold War.” Blame social media, he tells us, for shoving so much upsetting stuff in our faces.

Naturally, Obama’s pontifications draw protests. “I strongly disagree with the president’s assertion last night that America is safer,” said Senator John McCain. “By no objective measurement is America safer.” Danger abounds! In 2012, General Martin Dempsey, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, pronounced the world “more dangerous than it has ever been.” That was before the Islamic State, or ISIS, took over swaths of Iraq. Senator Lindsey Graham has warned that failure to defeat ISIS “will open the gates of hell to spill out on the world.” Obama appears to have his doubts: a few months after Chuck Hagel, then the defense secretary, pronounced ISIS an “imminent” threat, not just to the United States but “to every stabilized country on Earth,” Obama sacked him.

The American people deserve to hear complex, multifaceted debates about any number of complex, multifaceted matters. This is not one of them. Obama is simply right. The alarmists are simply wrong. America is safer than it has ever been and very likely safer than any country has ever been, a fact that politicians and the public are curiously reluctant to believe.

Danger is a broad category. In principle, it includes everything from workplace accidents and natural disasters to infectious diseases and pollution. In pretty much all of those categories, we’re doing well, although we have much work to do. For present purposes, however, let’s limit ourselves to threats in the usual political sense: malevolent violence against Americans. The major menaces here would be warfare, crime, and terrorism.

Historically, warfare has been the biggest violent killer of humans. According to Steven Pinker, the author of The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined, today is probably the most peaceful time in human history. By the numbers, he writes, “the world was a far more dangerous place” in the 1960s, ’70s, and ’80s. According to the Uppsala Conflict Data Program, armed conflicts have declined by almost 40 percent since right after the end of the Cold War. “Today,” write Micah Zenko and Michael A. Cohen in Foreign Affairs, “wars tend to be low-intensity conflicts that, on average, kill about 90 percent fewer people than did violent struggles in the 1950s.” War between major nation-states has dwindled to the verge of extinction. In the context of human evolution, this is an astounding development.

Of course, the world remains turbulent, but most of today’s military conflict, as in Syria right now, takes the form of civil war rather than war between nations, and implicates American interests but not American lives (unless America enters the fighting). The United States faces no plausible military invader or attacker. All we are really talking about, when we discuss threats from Iran or North Korea or ISIS, is whether our margin of safety should be very large or even larger. “No great power in world history comes close to enjoying the traditional state security that the United States does today,” writes Stephanie Rugolo in A Dangerous World? Threat Perception and U.S. National Security, a new collection of essays from the Cato Institute.

Here at home, criminal violence is, as ever, a serious problem. But its reduction over the past couple of decades is one of the great success stories of our time. The violent-crime rate (which excludes homicides) has declined by more than 70 percent since the early 1990s. The homicide rate has declined by half, and in 2011 it reached the lowest level since 1963. According to the National Crime Victimization Survey, between 1995 and 2010 the rate of rape and sexual assault fell from five per 1,000 females to two.

And how do Americans celebrate this extraordinary success? By denying it. Every year Gallup asks whether crime has gone up or down since the previous year. Every year, rain or shine, the public insists, usually by overwhelming margins (63 percent to 21 percent in 2014), that crime has risen. “Most Americans Unaware of Big Crime Drop Since 1990s,” announced the Pew Research Center in 2013; only 10 percent of those surveyed knew that gun crimes had gone down since the 1990s. Criminologists say that many people get angry when told that crime is decreasing.

Perception is even more skewed where terrorism is concerned. “Terror-ism Worries Largely Unchanged,” ran another Pew headline, also in 2013. That year, 58 percent of the public was worried about another terrorist attack in the United States, a rate not all that much lower in October 2001, immediately after the 9/11 attacks, when 71 percent of the public was worried. A few months ago, perhaps influenced by ISIS’s atrocities, a large plurality of respondents told NBC News/Wall Street Journal pollsters that the country is less safe than it was before 9/11.

More @ http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...afraid/384965/
    Never been safer, my balls. The threat of a lone wolf homegrown terrorist attack has never been greater because of the appeal of ISIS. They have been able to have a far greater reach than al-Queda due to social media and the overall liberal policies of many countries, not just the US. And that has allowed them to go about their business with an air of confidence never seen before.

Safer? Tell that to the people at Fort Hood and in Boston, San Bernadino and Little Rock, as well as the 8 cops families killed in the past week and a half all around the counntry. Direct correlation to the obama administration.

And I didn't even touch on Iran.
    Last edited by Joe Pietaro; 02-13-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    TL-DR I stopped at fecklessness, cause I had to look that word up.
    I blipped over that word, assuming it was something negative. Lol

Here's the take-home message for me. The U.S. is safer, but...

"And how do Americans celebrate this extraordinary success? By denying it. Every year Gallup asks whether crime has gone up or down since the previous year. Every year, rain or shine, the public insists, usually by overwhelming margins (63 percent to 21 percent in 2014), that crime has risen."

Figures.

Never been safer, my balls. The threat of a lone wolf homegrown terrorist attack has never been greater because of the appeal of ISIS. They have been able to have a far greater reach than al-Queda due to social media and the overall liberal policies of many countries, not just the US. And that has allowed them to go about their business with an air of confidence never seen before.

Safer? Tell that to the people at Fort Hood and in Boston, San Bernadino and Little Rock, as well as the 8 cops families killed in the past week and a half all around the country. Direct correlation to the obama administration.

You're saying Hood would have been different if Trump had been president?

You're saying Hood would have been different if Trump had been president?
    We'll obviously never know but I can't hang that on obama. But because of his hands-off policies against terrorists (please don't insert the killing of bin Laden here; any president would have done that...except for Bill Clinton who didn't after the USS Cole), that savage sergeant bought into their bullshit and used religion as a reason to shoot up his fellow servicemen.

I don't know, Geoff. I'm a skinny white guy and would prefer not to be pulled over by the cops.

Shit happens and bullets go through 6'1" and 190 just as easily as 5'8" and 300.
    What? Am I in the twilight zone? Why are you talking about people being shot???? You are afraid to get shot when you get pulled over? I never said he LIKES to get pulled over, I'm saying it is 100% illogical to think that he was TERRIFIED.

This whole debate implies that cops just shoot people for no reason at all. lol. Iv been pulled over 3 times and at no point did the thought of being harmed in any way even cross my mind, not even a tiny bit, and I'm not rich and famous!!

This is a joke.
    15% Discount Code: Geoff15

Quote Originally Posted by MusclePoppins View Post
    I can't stop white Americans from believing it's okay that Kai Greene had his hands up and was scared of being shot. In places where police/citizen relations are healthy that is not how someone feels while being identified.

You're right. Context can be informed by a set of circumstances. So to Joe, for example, I might be using the "profiled" out of context because it's not attached to violence by definition or because of where I'm from, and to me his understanding of the word is out of context because the media attaches it to violence where he's from.

Regardless of what the word means to difference people from different regions no one, no place should be scared of a police officer and poorly treated by a police officer on their way home from the gym. That is the point.
    If Kai still lives in the Marcy Houses where he did for a long time, that's the same place where the two NYPD cops were executed in Dec. 2013 by a Black Lives Matter sympathizer who posted that he was going to kill cops because of that. So excuse the police for making sure that they go home at night and fuck anyone - including Kai - who has a problem with that.

Roberts! You obviously don't watch enough movies.

I think of this nearly 24/7.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EECP9Ub-3tg

If Kai still lives in the Marcy Houses where he did for a long time, that's the same place where the two NYPD cops were executed in Dec. 2013 by a Black Lives Matter sympathizer who posted that he was going to kill cops because of that. So excuse the police for making sure that they go home at night and fuck anyone - including Kai - who has a problem with that.
    He doesn't.

Add another one to the list of why we have "never been safer" -

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police shot and killed a man who stormed into a central Ohio restaurant wielding a machete and randomly attacking people as they sat unsuspectingly at their dinner tables, authorities said.
    Four people were injured in the brutal attack Thursday evening at Nazareth Restaurant and Deli, a Mediterranean restaurant in Columbus. The victims were taken to an area hospital and were expected to recover.
    Police identified the suspected attacker as Mohamed Barry, 30.
    CBS News homeland security correspondent Jeff Pegues reports that investigators were running down leads to try to determine if the attack was somehow tied to terrorist organizations.
    "There was no rhyme or reason as to who he was going after," said Columbus police Sgt. Rich Weiner.
    Police said the man walked into the restaurant, had a conversation with an employee and then left. He returned about a half hour later. That's when police said he approached a man and a woman who were sitting just inside the door at a booth and started the attack.
    Pegues reports the suspected attacker has a Somali background, and officials believe he may have traveled to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates in 2012. Pegues reports that law enforcement is concerned that this incident has the hallmarks of the type of so-called "lone wolf" terrorist attack that they have been working to stop.
    Police said employees and patrons tried to get the man to stop.
    "Some of the patrons there started throwing chairs at him just trying to get him out of there," Weiner said.
    The man eventually fled the scene in a white car and led police on a short chase. Officers forced the man off the road a few miles away and when he got out of his car police said they tried unsuccessfully to use a stun gun on him.
    Weiner said, "At that point he had a machete and another knife in his hand and he lunged across the hood at the officers."
    That's when police said an officer shot and killed the man.
    It remained unclear what sparked the attacks.
    "Right now there's nothing that leads us to believe that this is anything but a random attack," said Weiner.
    Police said four people were treated at Grant Medical Center. William Foley, 54, was in critical but stable condition. Gerald Russell and Debbie Russell, both 43, were in stable condition. Neil McMeekin, 43, was treated and released.
    Karen Bass, who told CBS affiliate WBNS-10TV that she had only been in the restaurant for about half an hour when the attack occurred, described a scene of chaos.
    "He came to each table and just started hitting them," she told WBNS. "There were tables and chairs overturned, there was a man on the floor bleeding, there was blood on the floor."
    "I fell like five times. My legs felt like jelly. I just thought he was going to come behind me and slash me up," she said, describing her frantic escape.

Your new guy is flying refugees in by the thousands and there has already been terrorist acts up there. This new batch of ISIS undercover is going to make anyone who voted for that lib regret it.
    Agreed. Trudeau is a total disaster in the making.

Safer? Tell that to the people at Fort Hood and in Boston, San Bernadino and Little Rock, as well as the 8 cops families killed in the past week and a half all around the counntry. Direct correlation to the obama administration.

Contrast that with 1600s Italy, just between Siena and Florence. Hell, just in Siena the 14 Contrada that would do war with one another within Siena itself. the further one steps back into the past the larger the contrast becomes.

You're quite passionate about the subject Mr Pietaro.

In the instance of Kai, policemen seems to had acted not in a normal way. If Kai (300 pounds black bodybuilder was scared). You know how Kai is… he's a polite dude that speaks well and if the policemen had just ask to check his idea, he wouldn't have opposed to that.
    Now with ALL the cases of cops abusing their authority and shooting or beating black/ hispanic or white people it's legitimate for Kai to be afraid if cops acts really weird.

I'm not saying all cops act like that, there are good guys and bad guys in every profession, but usually when you give power to angry/stupid racist guys, they usually try to use it and even go beyond the realm of there authority. That's just how dumb people act and there are dumb people within law enforcement (I'm not generalizing it so don't quote me wrong).

In this case it really seems like the policemen were trying to use their force against Kai who did not show any sign of agressivity or disagreement and where he fully cooperate with them.
    David Cua also called Donald Pump known for "making bodybuilding great again" !

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast