Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Forum Leader: Contest Prep Scoobysnacks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quadsweep View Post
    just curious how much over contest weight you go? I have been withen 8-10 pounds for years and I just do not think I can gain lean mass that lean. And I don't do cardio either. Or are you just staying down for summer?

Quad
    I weighed in at 150 and I was 173 this morning and 175 just now. There is no way I can stay super lean and only go 8 lbs above and gain and considerable muscle. I use to do the lower carb thing year round, high protein, and I just never could gain any ground. Last year I got a little softer but pounded the carbs and food and I jumped a weight class. Im going to try to jump another at least locally to welter. Will still diet in to lightweight for Jrs. In any event, I dont stay at 5% or anything like you said you did the past few. I was 9% yesterday when my wife took it.

Ss
    Last edited by Scoobysnacks; 07-30-2009 at 09:51 PM.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Physique Critique Judge Quadsweep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysnacks View Post
    I weighed in at 150 and I was 173 this morning and 175 just now. There is no way I can stay super lean and only go 8 lbs above and gain and considerable muscle. I use to do the lower carb thing year round, high protein, and I just never could gain any ground. Last year I got a little softer but pounded the carbs and food and I jumped a weight class. Im going to try to jump another at least locally to welter. Will still diet in to lightweight for Jrs. In any event, I dont stay at 5% or anything like you said you did the past few. I was 9% yesterday when my wife took it.

Ss
    I figure I will go to about 7% which is the same about as you @ 9% as I weigh more. I think that will be a sufficient cusion....so to speak.

Quad

This closes out another week on the lower carb. I was going to give it one more week, but Im fine with my bodyfat. On a nine site it tested at 9.09%. Its time to switch gears and get this offseason started right.

Here will be my diet:

7 egg whites
    2 wholes
    3/4 cup oats tbsp almond butter
    3 liver tabs

2 scoops Scivation Whey
    1 bagel
    2 tbsp almond butter
    3 livers

130 grams turkey burger
    1 7 oz sweet potato
    2 tbsp almond butter
    3 livers

2 scoops scivation whey
    1 bananna
    1 apple or plum
    Couple Essential Scivation FAs
    3 liver tabs

Train

PWO
    50 grams protein
    50 grams carbs
    10 grams fats
    3 liver tabs

(this meal is open, but I strive to hit these macros, Ill probably get more on many nights, but that is the minimum)

Treat, snacks that I want
    I wont lie this might be raisinets or a bowl of ice cream, it could also be a chocolate protein shake with ice and almond butter blended up.

1 scoops Scivation Whey
    1 cup cottage cheese
    3 liver tabs

Its more relaxed than I have been in the past but Im going by feel here. Ill be honest and say after weighing out each morsel for 5 months Im just sort of burnt out on it. And if Im going to diet again for 4-5 months for Juniors next year I need a bit of break from weighing food every damn day. Ill adjust the food upward as I stick in weight which for me occurs A LOT. Much like last year my first goal is a 180 solid morning weight where abs can still be seen in the mirror. This morning I was 170. yesterday morning after an off day I was 173 so just from training I dropped off 3 lbs, dont know where it went really. I ate a truckload of food yesterday and all evening after training. I just kept sweating though. I had a client meeting and I was sitting there with my legs sticking to the leather office chair.....

I also did 35 mins LISS this morning on our eliptical while watching the news. So Im sticking with that especially on off days.

My wife and two other clients are competing in the Kentucky State this weekend, so Im out of town about 3pm today. Should be fun to cheer her on and have the tables reversed a little.

Ill outline my new DC split here soon, which I will be starting Monday.

Stay tuned.

Ss
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Just wondering why you add fat to your PWO? Wouldnt that slow the absorption of the Carbs and Protein or is that just a myth?

Quote Originally Posted by dajossel View Post
    Just wondering why you add fat to your PWO? Wouldnt that slow the absorption of the Carbs and Protein or is that just a myth?
    Fat will slow the rate at which carbohydrates are digested.

The myth is that you require a significant insulin spike to replenish glycogen post-workout. In controlling insulin you allow your body to be more anabolic over a longer period of time while continuing to replenish glycogen. This will enable you to hold a lower bodyfat while continuing to gain lean mass through the off-season.

Sorry SS thought I would add some content and I am bored waiting for the girlfriend to get out the shower lol

Quote Originally Posted by becks View Post

The myth is that you require a significant insulin spike to replenish glycogen post-workout. In controlling insulin you allow your body to be more anabolic over a longer period of time while continuing to replenish glycogen. This will enable you to hold a lower bodyfat while continuing to gain lean mass through the off-season.

Sorry SS thought I would add some content and I am bored waiting for the girlfriend to get out the shower lol
    Not a problem at all, you summed it up.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Scoobs what is your fat source for the post workout meal?

NOVICE

Do you guys think a pwo shake is not necessary? Should I just have a whole food meal afterwards? I have just always been told to have a high gi shake pwo with some protein.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
    Do you guys think a pwo shake is not necessary? Should I just have a whole food meal afterwards? I have just always been told to have a high gi shake pwo with some protein.
    I don't want to hijack SS's thread but to answer your question, try different things and see what works best for you.

Too much emphasis is based on PWO nutrition and this leads to less dedication to the overall equation. What you consume through out the day, week, and even month will directly impact your body composition.

Some people will find it easier to have a shake with some anpb and oats, others may find that a steak and potato or halibut with sweet potato and olive oil to be more beneficial. Base this decision on your appetite, if you do not feel hungry after training have the shake but if you are starving eat a meal.

Quote Originally Posted by MDur8 View Post
    Scoobs what is your fat source for the post workout meal?
    Well if I eat lean ground beef that will suffice as at minimum Im getting 10 grams. If I just have a shake its been almond butter and oats for carbs.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
    If you are ingesting carbs throughout the day and arent terribly depleted this huge spike pwo isnt necessary, IMHO. Taking in some carbs is important and usually if I can stomach it I do a whole food meal. Food hasnt been sounding good lately so Ive been having what I can get in, rather than what sounds good as not much has been sounding good. I hit these phases, but I still eat.

Now if you are eating really low carb you may get more mileage out of the high GI carb pwo.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

NOVICE

Great, thanks! Sorry to hijack

Looking good, J. Nice and lean. Your mentality this off-season will give you the results you want at Junior Nationals.

I don't want to hijack SS's thread but to answer your question, try different things and see what works best for you.

Too much emphasis is based on PWO nutrition and this leads to less dedication to the overall equation. What you consume through out the day, week, and even month will directly impact your body composition.

Some people will find it easier to have a shake with some anpb and oats, others may find that a steak and potato or halibut with sweet potato and olive oil to be more beneficial. Base this decision on your appetite, if you do not feel hungry after training have the shake but if you are starving eat a meal.

Becks and Scoob, you both made the same point about the post workout insulin spike being not necessary.

Also been reading more and more people agree with you both on that.

Question for you guys, since you both seem very knowledgeable:

I have seen many bodybuilders make incredible gains from taking insulin before and after their workout, and changing nothing else in their routine/gear usage.

The pwo insulin spike craze seemed to start when people realized that bb's were making great gains from insulin.

Do you think that the gains from insulin are BS, or do you think that a big pwo spike from things other than insulin will not have the same effect as insulin?

Quote Originally Posted by UnfinishedBusiness View Post
    Becks and Scoob, you both made the same point about the post workout insulin spike being not necessary.

Also been reading more and more people agree with you both on that.

Question for you guys, since you both seem very knowledgeable:

I have seen many bodybuilders make incredible gains from taking insulin before and after their workout, and changing nothing else in their routine/gear usage.

The pwo insulin spike craze seemed to start when people realized that bb's were making great gains from insulin.

Do you think that the gains from insulin are BS, or do you think that a big pwo spike from things other than insulin will not have the same effect as insulin?
    I have to tread carefully here becuase I know NOTHING about shooting insulin. In fact I think its a dangerous practice. Ive heard to many guys say I took my shot and I didnt eat enough carbs and I was fighting to not fall asleep, really, so you were about to go into a potential coma for bodybuilding, perfect, good going. Anyways....

There is no doubt insulin is very anabolic and potentiates a lot of growth, but I think as a natural looking to grow using very high glycemic carbs to illicit such response is misguided, even for a guy that uses a low amount of anabolics. Now you go adding a good bit of anabolics to the equation, then yes i think you have an equation for massive growth without as much fat accumulation.

So my answer is you have to look at the whole picture and not just insulin usage alone, but anabolic usage as well.

I think if a natty were to just use an insulin protocol they would get more fat gain than muscle gain, is another way to say it.
    www.scoobyprep.com
    Unleash Your Potential

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast