Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    One has to figure that it is quite profitable or else there would be less and less shows on the calendar each year. Look at it this way: most of these local NPC shows are held in shithole high school or junior high school auditoriums. Probably can get it for a day for a few grand, even less if you know someone on the school board. (Shame on you if you live in an area for any amount of time and do not.)

Then you have to figure out the 'tribute' that gets kicked back up to Pittsburgh. I've been told that amount is $18,000. So now you're 20 grand in the hole.

How many competitors do you get at these local shows? Let's say the average is 200, and that's a low ball estimate, especially with the new classic physique being added. Even if it's $100 entry fee per class (which it's more), the promoter just made up his front money.

Now he is selling tickets to the show (PJ and finals) at what? $25 and $50 a pop. If the average school auditorium holds approx. 300 people, that's $7,500 for the afternoon and $15,000 for the night show if it is at capacity. So let's surmise out of a possible $22,500 you get $18,000.

And he's also collecting that 'backstage fee,' which is $50 per person, who also have to buy a ticket, mind you. Nearly every competitor brings someone along to do the tan, oil, etc. So where are we now? Add another 10 grand.

Sponsorships, if I'm not mistaken, go right to the home office and not the individual promoters. So I won't even count those here, even the booth space. But both of these can be huge numbers depending on the percentage the promoter gets.

Concessions? Not always there so I won't bother.

Here's the tally:

UP FRONT:

*Venue - $2,000
    *Pittsburgh - $18,000

[minus $20,000
    ]

SHOW DAY:

*Competitor fees - $20,000
    *Ticket sales - $18,000
    *Backstage fees - $10,000

[plus $48,000]

CONTEST EXPENSES

*Workers - $2,000 (I'm being kind here. Most suck ups volunteer for these shows.)

[plus $46,000]

Of course these are raw numbers and not one hundred percent accurate. But you get the point. The take on a single show can be what some people make as salary ion an entire year. I know but cheapo Blechman paid me a paltry $50,000 a year while I was at MD, thus making me keep MuscleSport Mag running as a side business for extra income. So in an odd way, his shitty salary helped me keep things going that I now can do full time.

Agreed there must be money in it or people would not do it but $50k is not huge money and if for some reason competitors decide to stay away and only 100 turn up the profit gets cut in half. A good guest poser takes another bite of the profits.

The pro shows must be tough with so few competitors, a lot more must rely on tickets sales.

When the camera swung around to show the auditorium at the Arnold Australia during the night show the place was only half full.
    Last edited by Big Beat; 04-19-2016 at 03:16 AM.

RX MEMBER

I don't know how I feel on this issue... If people are willing to do it for free, that's what they're worth honestly. I'd much rather spend my time trying to become a bodybuilder worth being paid $$$$ than try and force people to pay me because they "should" out of some principal. Not a big union fan if you couldn't tell Nobody's gonna hand you shit, go get what you want. We've all seen the local shows where we're sitting in the audience thinking "if i had walked on stage i'd have taken the overall lol" and you are saying that 17% bf guy on stage deserves like 1k or something? I just don't see it... let the promoter make money who cares, if you want to make money become a promoter lol or build a following and become a top pro. and if those two options sound impossible to you or more than you're willing to do then the people making the money wanted it more than you and therefor deserve the money they make...
    Last edited by Alberto_Dimatteo; 04-19-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Beat View Post
    Agreed there must be money in it or people would not do it but $50k is not huge money and if for some reason competitors decide to stay away and only 100 turn up the profit gets cut in half. A good guest poser takes another bite of the profits.

The pro shows must be tough with so few competitors, a lot more must rely on tickets sales.

When the camera swung around to show the auditorium at the Arnold Australia during the night show the place was only half full.
    Some of these guys (Udit, Lindsay, Karel, etc.) run a bunch of shows. So I'm sure that they do quite well for themselves. And then something like the nationals has about 900 competitors. Pay day for these guys.

I'm thinking that it's more profitable to promote an amateur show rather than a pro one since the pros don;t have to pay competitor fees.

Way more profitable to promote an amateur show than pro. You can get a 1000 people in the seats at a night show for about 45 per ticket=$45,000 for the night show. About 500 people for the prejudging at 25=12,500. So total ticket sales about 57,500

OLYMPIAN

Quote Originally Posted by Jude2 View Post
    Way more profitable to promote an amateur show than pro. You can get a 1000 people in the seats at a night show for about 45 per ticket=$45,000 for the night show. About 500 people for the prejudging at 25=12,500. So total ticket sales about 57,500
    Why do they treat bodybuilding like college athletics? You should be able to win prize money if you place in an contest., even if you are considered an amateur. It's just an excuse to not spend any money by the promoters and the sponsors. Amateurs can make damn good money off of bodybuilding (IE Dave Palumbo), but they can't win prize money in a contest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jude2 View Post
    Nice take, especially when most of that goes right into the Tupperware containers buried in the backyard. (Coffee cans rot.)

OLYMPIAN

After the the many questions about the NY Pro, this topic seems relevant again.

Do the promoters purposely choose the cheapest venues, or is it a sign of the times in modern bodybuilding, and promoters are almost forced to downsize?

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzo View Post
    After the the many questions about the NY Pro, this topic seems relevant again.

Do the promoters purposely choose the cheapest venues, or is it a sign of the times in modern bodybuilding, and promoters are almost forced to downsize?
    I'd guess it depends on the promoter. Some pizza places thrive while others fold inside of a month.

Managing Dir., Rx Muscle Forums Curt James's Avatar
    Big Jeff's Family Restaurant, 815 Fremont Ave, South Pasadena, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pietaro View Post
    Nice take, especially when most of that goes right into the Tupperware containers buried in the backyard. (Coffee cans rot.)
    You know this how?

(begins digging in Pietaro's back yard)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt James View Post
    You know this how?

I believe that makes you the real life broke and desperate Clark Griswold and Joe Pietaro Cousin Eddie from Vegas Vacation. Now I'm wondering if Joe owns a pair of white shoes, snorkel gear and has a metal plate in his head.

Cousin Eddie did use old coffee cans though ... but they were buried in Nevada. Tin does well in the ground there.

Vegas Vacation.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzo View Post
    After the the many questions about the NY Pro, this topic seems relevant again. Do the promoters purposely choose the cheapest venues, or is it a sign of the times in modern bodybuilding, and promoters are almost forced to downsize?
    I'm onside with how the NY Pro looked on camera. I really don't want to see the side of the stage like they couldn't get a big enough back drop. Or half the crew poking their heads around (a la at BodyPower). It looks cheap and amateurish. That said I know from having a couple of show promoters among my facebook buddies that some venues are f'kin stupidly expensive. When the deposit is high, due in part to the cleaning up of tanning products from walls etc, it seems they never get it back. And can someone explain to me how in another thread the entry fee for one NPC comp was $225.00 per athlete. WTF?? That's well in excess of Ģ100 UKP and I can't see what the athletes are getting for it. If you said they got a free event shirt, backstage tanning and food included maybe, just maybe, that'd seem ok. Unless the promoter is shite at getting paying crowds out front to turn up I can't see why it's so high.
    06, 08, 09 and now 2010 British (4x) and 2008/2010 European Grip Champion (2x)

You know this how?

Hey man, coffee cans work under the insulation in the attic.
    That's where we found Grandpas "riches."

Quote Originally Posted by Mobster View Post
    I'm onside with how the NY Pro looked on camera. I really don't want to see the side of the stage like they couldn't get a big enough back drop. Or half the crew poking their heads around (a la at BodyPower). It looks cheap and amateurish. That said I know from having a couple of show promoters among my facebook buddies that some venues are f'kin stupidly expensive. When the deposit is high, due in part to the cleaning up of tanning products from walls etc, it seems they never get it back. And can someone explain to me how in another thread the entry fee for one NPC comp was $225.00 per athlete. WTF?? That's well in excess of Ģ100 UKP and I can't see what the athletes are getting for it. If you said they got a free event shirt, backstage tanning and food included maybe, just maybe, that'd seem ok. Unless the promoter is shite at getting paying crowds out front to turn up I can't see why it's so high.
    I would like to see some of the venues go back to a theater setting. I have gone to amateur shows to see mere gym acquaintances, just as something to do and see how people measured up in the end. I personally don't balk as much about ticket $ when it has a "night at the theatre" feel to it as if we were going to a play or ballet. That puts my paying ass in a seat more than a high school auditorium.

For instance, The Richmond Cutler was a great experience last year. (The Cutler shows all seem to have been in lovely venues.) Some great restaurants within walking distance too.

http://www.richmondcenterstage.com/v...penter-theatre

You know this how?

Growing up in bensonhurst, Brooklyn, one "hears rumors."

Quote Originally Posted by MusclePoppins View Post
    I believe that makes you the real life broke and desperate Clark Griswold and Joe Pietaro Cousin Eddie from Vegas Vacation. Now I'm wondering if Joe owns a pair of white shoes, snorkel gear and has a metal plate in his head.

Cousin Eddie did use old coffee cans though ... but they were buried in Nevada. Tin does well in the ground there.

Vegas Vacation.jpg
    This is fuckin' great, bro! Cousin Eddie is a pisser and I am honored.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12